Nolva treatment for Gyno

mysticman

Awards
I tried to search for this but couldnt come up with too much. I thought I saw a thread somewhere about this but cant recall.. I thoughtI heard of a way to get rid of gyno without surgery. It was some crazy dosagte of nolva cycled for a few months. Does anyone know about this or heard anything about it? Thanks

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I remember seeing something on here about that topic a couple of months ago, but can't remember the thread. I don't believe Nolva will get rid of gyno. The treatment may help shrink it some, but the only way to ger rid of gyno is to have it surgically removed. If Nolva got rid of it, then I think there would be a shortage of it real quick.

knox

Awards
  • Established
about 2 months ago i went to a surgery clinic since my doc told me i had gyno. i didn't notice any hard mass directly under my nipples but convinced myself i had it. the surgon told me i didn't have it real bad and to lose some weight and it would possibly help. i have been taking nolva week1-60mg, week2-40mg, and now holding at 20mg. i am also taking some lipoderm-ultra w/ some trib. i have cut plenty of fat around my chest but am noticing some small lumps within my chest. i do believe this stack has helped alot but will get a 3rd opinion from another doc when i am done. how bad is your situation?
knox

GettinSwole

Awards
nolva will not rid you of any pre-existing gyno. It is an suicide aromatose inhibitor meaning it binds to estrogen receptors where the estrogen would normally bind and keeps it from binding until you can get your test levels back to normal. Nolva, if taken for an extended period of time has led to certain types of cancer including endometrial(women only), pancreatic, and liver. If only taken as a PCT there is no down side to it. If I were you, and thought I already had gyno, I'd stay away from the Nolva unless you're still in PCT.

knox

Awards
  • Established
i'm starting my 3rd week of using nolva, it's not for PCT and i doubt it will last this week. by taking nolva for this purpose, i guess you could call it a desperate act but i am not going to extend the cycle. i am pleased with the results the lipoderm an nolva have done. it has helped some but i wouldn't (like you) advice taking nolva for these purposes. i wanted to experiement and see if any benefits would produce.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
nolva will not rid you of any pre-existing gyno. It is an suicide aromatose inhibitor meaning it binds to estrogen receptors where the estrogen would normally bind and keeps it from binding until you can get your test levels back to normal. Nolva, if taken for an extended period of time has led to certain types of cancer including endometrial(women only), pancreatic, and liver. If only taken as a PCT there is no down side to it. If I were you, and thought I already had gyno, I'd stay away from the Nolva unless you're still in PCT.
Nolva does bind to estrogen receptors. It is NOT a suicide aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase is an enzyme that converts certain androgens to estrogen. Suicide aromatase inhibitors include letrozole, arimidex, and 6-OXO. Nolva is a S.E.R.M., or selective estrogen receptor modulator. Aromatase inhibitors decrease the amount of circulating estrogen, while S.E.R.M.s keep estrogen from having an effect on certain cells.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but please do some more research before giving people advice.

/karp

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I believe a treatment is outlined in a thread called "A novel gyno treatment" or something like that. I have no idea if the treatment really works.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
There have been a few studies on the treatment of gyno with nolva. I'll try to dig them up. I believe the protocol now accepted is 40 mg/day for 1-2 months. I wrote about this on some thread so I try to get a link up. On a side note I also found several studies which show certain Traditional Chinese herbal formulas helping with the effectiveness of nolva as well as 1 study which used 2 different formulas without nolva for gyno and showed pretty good results. Again, if people are interested, I'll dig them up as well.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
Here are 2 links for the threads I talked about. People can get these formulas, which really should be changed according to the patient's needs, at any Chinese herbalist or acupuncturist who uses Chinese herbs. Some formulas like xiao yao wan, chai hu shu gan wan (which I have personally found effect with patients taking nolva), and gui zhi fu ling wan are available OTC at Chinese pharmacies and some Asian grocery stores.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...threadid=297308
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...threadid=298825

knox

Awards
  • Established
very interesting acudoc. are there any studies or experiements in the U.S. that have focused on using these herbs for gyno or anything in relation? i live in a small town and don't have access to a chinese herbalist, but i would really like to hear if there is anymore information about this. especially if there is any regaurding how these herbs effect nolva in males. thanks.
knox

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
The studies were in China and Japan, not the U.S. and there aren't any that I know of. Most of the studies are outcome related-i.e. whether item A helps something in comparison with either nothing or item B, not how they work in a biochemical sense. The Japanese sometimes focus on the biochemical actions but I can't read Japanese and so depend on what is translated out of Japan.

TCM-Trad. Chinese Medicine is a complete system of medicine and has its own rational and terminolgy and almost 100% of Chinese studies just compare different herbal formulas, sometimes in conjunction with western meds, for treating certain diseases. 3,000 years of empirical evidence shows that it works so they are mainly concerned with what works best for different diseases and disorders. The big trend in China is combining western meds and chinese herbal formulas to increase the efficacy and decrease the sides of the western meds so you have the best of both worlds. Most of the studies don't get translated and I have slow going-I pick and choose according to what interests me and then slog through translating it.

Try finding the formulas on the web if you can't find a practioner.I don't know of any sites off hand but let me know if you want me to confirm any formula and check prices.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Wow 2004, any ways here goes.

1: J Pediatr. 2004 Jul;145(1):71-6. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:

* J Pediatr. 2005 Apr;146(4):576; author reply 576-7.
* J Pediatr. 2005 Apr;146(4):576; author reply 576-7.

Beneficial effects of raloxifene and tamoxifen in the treatment of pubertal gynecomastia.
Lawrence SE, Faught KA, Vethamuthu J, Lawson ML.
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

[email protected]

OBJECTIVES: To assess the efficacy of the anti-estrogens tamoxifen and raloxifene in the medical management of persistent pubertal gynecomastia.

STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective chart review of 38 consecutive patients with persistent pubertal gynecomastia who presented to a pediatric endocrinology clinic. Patients received reassurance alone or a 3- to 9-month course of an estrogen receptor modifier (tamoxifen or raloxifene).

RESULTS: Mean (SD) age of treated subjects was 14.6 (1.5) years with gynecomastia duration of 28.3 (16.4) months. Mean reduction in breast nodule diameter was 2.1 cm (95% CI 1.7, 2.7, P <.0001) after treatment with tamoxifen and 2.5 cm (95% CI 1.7, 3.3, P <.0001) with raloxifene. Some improvement was seen in 86% of patients receiving tamoxifen and in 91% receiving raloxifene, but a greater proportion had a significant decrease (>50%) with raloxifene (86%) than tamoxifen (41%). No side effects were seen in any patients.

CONCLUSION: Inhibition of estrogen receptor action in the breast appears to be safe and effective in reducing persistent pubertal gynecomastia, with a better response to raloxifene than to tamoxifen. Further study is required to determine that this is truly a treatment effect.

PMID: 15238910 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]