How's this Milk Thistle for my M1T?

Awards
I started a cycle with M1T on Saturday. I did 10mg/day for the first 3 days and since I didn't notice any side effects I went ahead and bumped it up to 15mg on Tuesday. To help out the liver both during and post cycle I purchased some Milk Thistle, but am not sure if it is any good.

I purchased it at Wal-Mart for $6. It is Rexall Concentrate Milk Thistle 1000mg. It has 90 softgels. I intend to take 1 pill in the morning with the M1T and one in the evening with the M1T and my multi-vitamin.

Has anyone used this? Am I taking enough or too much?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

GettinSwole

Awards
you won't notice the sides in 3 days man... i suggest you take your dose back down to 10mg at least for the first 2 weeks. The milk thistle you have is fine. I took 2g per day, which is 2 caps of what u have. Don't take the milk thistle w/ your m1t because they will compete for absorption in the liver. take your m1t in the morning and take the milk thistle around lunch time or something. you waste the m1t if u dose 'em at the same time

Bennett

Awards
you won't notice the sides in 3 days man... i suggest you take your dose back down to 10mg at least for the first 2 weeks. The milk thistle you have is fine. I took 2g per day, which is 2 caps of what u have. Don't take the milk thistle w/ your m1t because they will compete for absorption in the liver. take your m1t in the morning and take the milk thistle around lunch time or something. you waste the m1t if u dose 'em at the same time
I took my milk thissle and ALA with my m14ad and it didn't diminish my gains.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
That is the brand I use and I take two caps a day. That does not mean it is that great, but until someone comes along with better information, I think you are OK.

Regarding Milk Thistle reducing the effectiveness of prohormones, the idea was based on an article written by Big Cat over at BB.com where he hypothesized that improving the liver's function by using milk thistle would therefore help the liver remove prohormones from the body. He just stated it without proof. From there, it has gone on to be an "urban legend" in the bodybuilding community. Note: I am not saying that it is not true, merely that there is no evidence supporting that claim. (If anyone has scientific information to the contrary, I would appreciate it if they posted it.) Let me add that NAC and Milk Thistle help the liver recover from damage, they do not necessarily protect it from damage.

Awards
Let me add that NAC and Milk Thistle help the liver recover from damage, they do not necessarily protect it from damage.
So should I just wait until I finish up my M1T cylce before I start using it? I am doing a three week cycle.

Also, I have split my M1T dosage into morning, afternoon, and night.

realsoundjim

Awards
  • Established
hey 5111, im using that same brand milk thistle. i was wondering the same as you as if it was just as good as other brands because its like a concentrate or something i think. anyways, i just remember that i had 2 different bottles side by side and the type of milk thidstle differed. anyways, i been using that one too bro

LM600

Awards
Hi Guys,

You need to be looking at the amount of standardised silymarin extract in the milk thistle product you have as this is the active ingredient.

Awards
Hi Guys,

You need to be looking at the amount of standardised silymarin extract in the milk thistle product you have as this is the active ingredient.
It says:
Milk Thistle 1000mg
(silybum marianum)(seed)
(from 250mg of 4:1 Extract)

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Anabolics 2004 says about Milk Thistle Extract that it "has notable anti-inflammatory properties (inhibiting prostaglandin biosynthesis), which we know through recent studies is a trait that interferes with the protein synthesis response to resistance exercise. This may indicate a need to take somewhat of a "use if necessary" position, at least if absolute maximum muscle growth is the primary focus of your cycle."

So I guess since anabolic steroids act primarily by increasing protein synthesis Milk Thistle could negatively impact muscle gains.

I didn't write it...just reporting what I read.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I use the same brand and bought it at WalMart too. I take one capsule with every meal up to 5 capsules a day.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
So should I just wait until I finish up my M1T cylce before I start using it? I am doing a three week cycle.

Also, I have split my M1T dosage into morning, afternoon, and night.
I take all support supplements year round--before, during, and after a cycle.

As a side comment, M 1-T is so strong I am sure no one could prove that taking some milk thistle would slow their gains. Frankly, I would trade liver health for 1/2 pound of muscle anyway. ;)

cpa5oh's post does make some sense. I will have to check into that further. Still, I think it will make the same difference as taking an aspirin or Tylenol (not much), which also inhibit protein synthesis by a similar mechanism.