Prop Glycol...for any solution?

Sgt. Ownage

Board Supporter
Awards
I just bought some prop glycol to make some nolva with and I have a lot of it left over. Can I use this to make just about any oral solution I want?

Ichi the Killer

Awards
You can use it to keep your cigars at 70% humidity.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
PG will work for most anything but PEG-400 is MUCH, MUCH better.

Chemo

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Because PG uses a strong hydrogen bonding potential to affect solvation but retains its slightly polar characteristics. Now, this is fine for general solvation but will lose efficiency on non-polar molecules (i.e. - prohormones). It will have to rely on strictly hydrogen bonding.

Now, PEG-400 has the same or more hydrogen bonding potential and is a non-polar polymer which is ideal for solvating prohormones that generally have 3,17-diol groups. Further, even on molecules like M-1-T the increased lipophilicity afforded by the polymer will trump PG any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Ever try to get winny at 50 mg/mL?? It can be done with stability with PEG-400...whereas before I started advocating the use most people were lucky to get 25mg/mL before it crashed.

Chemo

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Because PG uses a strong hydrogen bonding potential to affect solvation but retains its slightly polar characteristics. Now, this is fine for general solvation but will lose efficiency on non-polar molecules (i.e. - prohormones). It will have to rely on strictly hydrogen bonding.

Now, PEG-400 has the same or more hydrogen bonding potential and is a non-polar polymer which is ideal for solvating prohormones that generally have 3,17-diol groups. Further, even on molecules like M-1-T the increased lipophilicity afforded by the polymer will trump PG any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Ever try to get winny at 50 mg/mL?? It can be done with stability with PEG-400...whereas before I started advocating the use most people were lucky to get 25mg/mL before it crashed.

Chemo
I see what your saying, I guess I'm just missing the application. I like PG for its antiseptic activity and also for its taste, over the PEGs. Maybe you are talking about IM applications or something? Cause orally, I don't want it dissolved, just evenly dispersed for homogenous suspension. Actually, diols, ketones aren't really dissolved in either, but miscible. I do like the heat stability of PEG. I guess you like glycerol and polyhydrics even less then?

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
I see what your saying, I guess I'm just missing the application. I like PG for its antiseptic activity and also for its taste, over the PEGs. Maybe you are talking about IM applications or something? Cause orally, I don't want it dissolved, just evenly dispersed for homogenous suspension. Actually, diols, ketones aren't really dissolved in either, but miscible. I do like the heat stability of PEG. I guess you like glycerol and polyhydrics even less then?
Addition of PG may help with bacteriostatic control but overall the largest volume swallowed will be about 1 or 2 mL. Also, since the generally bitter taste of most hormones will mask the taste of the matrix (whether it be bitter or sweet) I'd prefer to get maximum solvation. Just my personal preference...

Actually, diols and ketones are dissolved in the matrix. Miscible is a term used to describe the ability of two fluids to mix...not applicable to binary component systems.

Chemo

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Addition of PG may help with bacteriostatic control but overall the largest volume swallowed will be about 1 or 2 mL. Also, since the generally bitter taste of most hormones will mask the taste of the matrix (whether it be bitter or sweet) I'd prefer to get maximum solvation. Just my personal preference...

Actually, diols and ketones are dissolved in the matrix. Miscible is a term used to describe the ability of two fluids to mix...not applicable to binary component systems.

Chemo
Yes, technically they dissolve, you are correct. I guess you might class this concentration as sol to slightly sol, but are you saying that you use a mixture of PEG and PG when you say addition of PG? If you want max solvation w/ a diol, or even a polar, why not just use an EtOH/PEG-400/PG mix @ maybe 1:2:3?

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Yes, technically they dissolve, you are correct. I guess you might class this concentration as sol to slightly sol, but are you saying that you use a mixture of PEG and PG when you say addition of PG? If you want max solvation w/ a diol, or even a polar, why not just use an EtOH/PEG-400/PG mix @ maybe 1:2:3?
Maximum solvation will be with straight PEG-400. The only reason to add PG is for bacteriostatic action and even then is not really necessary as most will consume their batch in a month or two.

There would be no reason to add EtOH (Everclear for those that don't know).

Chemo

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Maximum solvation will be with straight PEG-400. The only reason to add PG is for bacteriostatic action and even then is not really necessary as most will consume their batch in a month or two.

There would be no reason to add EtOH (Everclear for those that don't know).

Chemo

OK, thanks for all the info, bro!

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
What would the maximum length be for a solution to sit before you needed to add PG for its bacteriostatic action?

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
If it's going to sit for months on end...maybe up to a year. 99% of all homebrewers will be consuming the batch long before its time to add some kind of preservative. BTW, PG is the most widely available and hence my preference of agent. However, there are many that can be used effectively.

In a nuthsell, if you're not going to let it sit for a year or so there is no need.

Chemo