to get legs as big and strong as possible

bigdeepsquats

Awards
what would be the best way to get just huge massive super strong legs.
Any juice-what and how much?
training split-legs daily? EOD? 3x week? 2x a day?
upper body-zero training? occasional? maybe avoiding upper body all together would allow for better recovery of the legs?
and of course just don't stop eating ever right lol ;)

*mostly hypothetical*

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
test/deca/dbol

2x a week to 3x a week depending on volume and how heavy

keep working upper body for sure just keep the volume low

bigdeepsquats

Awards
test/deca/dbol

2x a week to 3x a week depending on volume and how heavy

keep working upper body for sure just keep the volume low
you think the low volume upper body work won't interfere?
edit: interfere with recovery.

Bigchourico

Bigchourico

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How about biggerdeepersquats.:laughing: p.s, joking just in case you get all offended..

AlbrtvlAssasn

Awards
Fred Hatfield has some great options for legs.

I can post link yet but here it is....kind of

drsquat. com

I liked russian conjugate methods of training. They shock the body (or body parts) by incorporating multiple protocols within a week. High Volume/Low Weight, H.I.I.T. (Good ol' Mike Metzger), Box squats, band squats, overload banded squats.

Keep shocking the body by keeping it off guard with non-routine scheduling (monday, thursday, sunday, monday etc.)

Just a little thought on question.

A.A.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
subbed on this thread.. anyone else w/ ideas.. this thread should have about 4000 views.. almost everyone on this forum should hope to get legs as big and strong as possible.. to a certain extent..

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
hours and fuking hours under that squat rack is how i got my twigs to grow.

ATG, statics, partials, high reps, low reps, controlled eccentrics, 20 reppers, supersets......... you name it, i hammered it. all under that bar,

twigs are in the link in my sig, along with some of the workouts i do.

beat the fock out of them is all i can say.

patience, it took years just to get what i got.......literally, several years of squats every week.

bigdeepsquats

Awards
few ideas: ghrp-6 for knee pain??? -->>allows for squatting heavy more often
IGF-1 LR3---->>>only into the quads of course.
anavar--->>>phospho creatine levels, strength, etc...
HGH--->its growth hormone, makes things grow, like "teh legs"

AlbrtvlAssasn

Awards
We are talking squats (lord knows I think Super Training lists hundreds of variations) but let's not forget the posterior kinetic chain. RDL's, Glute-Ham's, Reverse Hypers.

The list could go on but kicking the snot out of them in good form and sound nutrition works. Louis Simmons and Joe Defranco's West Side 4 Skinny Bastards protocol is still a great conjugate method for strength/growth.

I recall Tom Platz saying he couldn't get off the ground on a serious leg day! "Wheel me to the car!"

A.A.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
few ideas: ghrp-6 for knee pain??? -->>allows for squatting heavy more often
IGF-1 LR3---->>>only into the quads of course.
anavar--->>>phospho creatine levels, strength, etc...
HGH--->its growth hormone, makes things grow, like "teh legs"
how do u figure ghrp would help with knee pain.. if anything id think igf around the knee area would help

bigdeepsquats

Awards
how do u figure ghrp would help with knee pain.. if anything id think igf around the knee area would help
I thought people use it for injuries and joint issues, I have read higher doses make you fat from extreme hunger, some guy took it and gained like 12 lbs in two weeks but it wasn't lean at all.

Ms9

Awards
Here are some ideas. My legs are bigger than almost every guy I have seen in the gym. For 5 years I was forced to do the following workout.

1. Light Front Squat
2. Box Jumps
3. Heavy Squat
4. Stupid hamstring machine thing
5. Leg press the one that pivots not the straight up and down one where anyone can lift as much weight as you put on it. Also sometimes we would do this with one leg.
6. Immediately after leg press push a sled or 45 lb plate on rubber surface around for like 45 seconds.
7. When you finish with this go do a wall sit with a 45 pound plate on your thighs. Then repeat the whole thing 3x times
8. When your finished with this go do some dead lifts.
9. After that do manual hip flexor, groin, and hamstring with a partner providing resistance.
10. Then find some stadiums that are 90 rows up and sprint to the top as fast as u ****ing can. Be careful usually this is where guys eat it.

Other ideas.
Medicine ball hamstring curls, step-up back lunge,

static lunge hold for as long as possible with the knee about an inch or two from the ground of course the first person to hit has to do something ****ty.

Also get someone to yell at you alot and make you start your set over for no reason or decided u did ur leg press too easily and add 10 more when you are 1 rep from finishing. Then you will get some big ass legs.

Work your legs like your upper body. I don't see anyone in the gym doing squats tell they cant lift the weight anymore, yet they bench to failure all the time.

AlbrtvlAssasn

Awards
Work your legs like your upper body. I don't see anyone in the gym doing squats tell they cant lift the weight anymore, yet they bench to failure all the time.

Exactly! You always see guys doing bicep curls "Curls for the Girls" but how many guys (especially the ones wanting bigger legs) do Bicep Femoris "Curls for the Girls"? Glute-Ham, Seated curl, standing single leg curl, partner glute-hams with a plate etc.

Think about it....we see a guy finished for the day and he wants to get in an extra set or two on another body part. It is usually one of two....Abs or Biceps. Do this for the hamstrings and watch the tape measure expand!

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the legs version of a cut off T-shirt in the gym (tight speedo/lycra pants). LOL

Addendum to post.....unless it is a hot female philly!!!!!

A.A.

Brainsmasher

Awards
Smolov is your answer. If you are on something, then do the whole program, not just the 3-week mesocycle like most do. After you finish that, if your legs aren't big and strong enough, do the supersquat program. 20-rep squats 3 times a week should do it.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Smolov is your answer. If you are on something, then do the whole program, not just the 3-week mesocycle like most do. After you finish that, if your legs aren't big and strong enough, do the supersquat program. 20-rep squats 3 times a week should do it.
Looking into this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

link me some info please.

I will rep.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I guess it depends on what you are really looking for. Big is obviously relative - I just finished a 5 month bulk and I'm 285ish and my legs taped 32.5 today. Most of my heavy work is leg press and SLDL. I do some lying and seated leg curls for assistance and leg extensions every other workout.

But thats just me. I've got friends that have much smaller legs that squat 200+lbs over what I do. It happens. I don't ego lift and I keep my form fairly strict and my ROM full unless I'm during ultra heavy leg presses (anything over 1500lbs)

Brainsmasher

Awards
Looking into this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

link me some info please.

I will rep.
Lol. Make fun of me, but I don't know how to link. Just Google Smolov and 'JoeScopec's site and calculator page should come up. As for the supersquat program, I've never actually tried it. You would have to look that one up yourself I guess. There are other lesser evil programs out there as well. Also try the 'Russian Squat Program'. And I agree with Tempus that stiff-leg deadlifts are awesome for the back of the leg.

Try and find some info on how Tom Platz used to train. His legs were mind-blowing.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
As for upper training, you have to balance the additional GH release with the need for additional recovery. If you were really willing to sacrifice upper body mass, I'd probably move to higher volume pump training to spare the CNS and reduce satellite cell requirements but still get some hormonal benefits.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Big legs this come to my mind.. Do 3 sets of 15 reps then 3sets 8 rep 80% of your max sets rest is 1min -come and talk to me after if you can walk.. This how yo do it in my book!!! For those of you who never done Barbell Hack squats well google it-- it will make your Quads hurt

Squats
Bar Bell hack squats
DB Lunges

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Big legs this come to my mind.. Do 3 sets of 15 reps then 3sets 8 rep 80% of your max sets rest is 1min -come and talk to me after if you can walk.. This how yo do it in my book!!! For those of you who never done Barbell Hack squats well google it-- it will make your Quads hurt

Squats
Bar Bell hack squats
DB Lunges

Is that 3 sets per exercise? Or a giant set?

What is the theory behind this being the best for overall mass/size?

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Is that 3 sets per exercise? Or a giant set?

No it is 6 sets per exercise ( giant sets would be if you did all 3 @ once) more of pyramid routine sorta of

The 1st set of 3 are high reps to get you warmed up the last 3 sets are for heavy training

Squats ( a$$ to the dam floor if you please none of that half crap) ---3 sets of 15 reps you will do 60% of your max the next set will be 3 sets of 8 reps @ 80% of your max.. Each set you will rest 1min ( this rest is very important ) you follow the same for the other two below..

Bar Bell hack squats
DB Lunges

Simple answers to you is their is no other leg exercise that can build your legs I have searched read what I found about 99% is squats build big legs also I that Hack squats are never used becuse folks use the Machine but the machine is no where near what barbell hack can do to build super Quadriceps ( I hope everyone googled it) it was one of those ancient leg exercise that has been forgoten.. For the lunges are excellent exercise to stretch and develop the Quadriceps, the Hamstrings and the Glutes... Note you will might fall over after doing the above routine.. I am going back to this next week.. let just say this everyone has their own routines But This is the old school of training.. I am bring back some old school

You want to bench heavy one word for you Floor press Google that then come and talk to me.. Old school!!!

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
Just watch out for hurting your knees doing barbell hack squat.

If you form gets sloppy, you'll put a ton of pressure on your knees.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Just watch out for hurting your knees doing barbell hack squat.

If you form gets sloppy, you'll put a ton of pressure on your knees.
Allways look stright Head or Up never never put your head down!!!!! I never

Lot of folks who try this the 1st time have a hard time getting the form down but once you get it your legs are poping!!!!!!

Do you like do them?

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, they used to be a staple for me. This week I'm going to change up my schedule and bring back a dedicated leg day. I'll try something like you outlined above.

bigdeepsquats

Awards
Yeah, they used to be a staple for me. This week I'm going to change up my schedule and bring back a dedicated leg day. I'll try something like you outlined above.
trey brewer...I wonder what he did to get that big in the lower half

Ms9

Awards
Most of my heavy work is leg press and SLDL. I do some lying and seated leg curls for assistance and leg extensions every other workout.
I'd like to know more about your SLDLs. I do them on a boso ball or a stable surface sometimes with one db and sometimes with two.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
SLDL's with 1 dumbell what? I love SLDL used to be one of my "big lifts" on leg day. Got up to doing 335 pound working sets... IMO the name of the game is heavy with these. Hamstrings are fast twitch and respond excellent to really high weight, fast powerful reps. SLDLs have gotten my hamstrings sore like nothing else will. Just don't **** up your back.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
wouldn't this depend on how you are born and train? I don't know if its appropriate to name a whole muscle group a single type of muscle fiber.
i am under the impression that on average they are comprised of a relatively high percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers

I take it from the soreness and crazy strength increases i experienced that my training was working well. why how do you train them?

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
I believe a great excercise to shock the legs to h*ell and back are sled runs. 2 1/2 weeks ago I began using them and sprinting 40 yards 5 times with a 100lb plate on there with 90 seconds of rest time 3 times a week is a killer. i used to do that stuff in back in h.s for football and track, and i love 'em, but a lot of people don't have access to that but I just thought I'd throw it out there for the heck of it.

bigdeepsquats

Awards
i am under the impression that on average they are comprised of a relatively high percentage of fast twitch muscle fibers

I take it from the soreness and crazy strength increases i experienced that my training was working well. why how do you train them?
RDL's with all type of rep schemes, and higher rep leg curls. and compound squats too of course.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to know more about your SLDLs. I do them on a boso ball or a stable surface sometimes with one db and sometimes with two.
I go heavy and fairly low reps. Working sets in the 405/455 range for sets of 5. Usually 3-5 sets depending on what else I've already worked.

I control the negative so the cadence is X/0/4-6/0. No bounce and no rest at the top.

I'm nort sure about the boso ball thing. Its a cool idea and all but you WANT stable surfaces when you are doing something close to double body weight. DBs are okay but, unless you have a pimp gym with 150s+, you'll run out soon and need to use a BB.