Measuring powder

westniles

Awards
Is there any way to measure 250 mg of a 1 gram powder besides a scale?

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
No. Different powders are different densities, so there's no accurate scoop or anything. You have to weigh it.

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't do it but you could simply take the 1g and divide it into 4 equal portions. Each portion would be 250mg. I'm sure you'd have some amount of error.

westniles

Awards
I wouldn't do it but you could simply take the 1g and divide it into 4 equal portions. Each portion would be 250mg. I'm sure you'd have some amount of error.
That is exactly what I was tempted to do. I am sure it could be quite off, but how much?

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
You could use a microscope and individually count out the particles, assuming they are the same size you could do it in a few days j/k

westniles

Awards
You could use a microscope and individually count out the particles, assuming they are the same size you could do it in a few days j/k
Thats an excellent idea!

I am thinking that the chem lab scale at my college will do just fine.

db682

Awards
  • Established
How bout spending $50 for a scale. Everything nowdays comes in powder form and a scale is a very useful tool to have around the house.

db

groundfighter

Awards
How bout spending $50 for a scale. Everything nowdays comes in powder form and a scale is a very useful tool to have around the house.

db

Where is a good place to get a scale?

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do a search for scale. I posted a thread some time ago.

I wouldn't divide it by hand on potent compounds. That would be dangerous. Get a scale with at least 0.01g or 10mg precision - a cheap $13 analog scale would work.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
You can get a Lucky 11 analog gem scale for $10. Thats what I use. Its accurate to 10 milligram increments. It sucks for measuring out large quantities because only 5 grams will fit on the tray, but it's great for small quantities.