Save $$$$ - Grapefruit Juice with your orals

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Ok so i posted this in my thread http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/149386-clen-var-log.html and Ive had a lot of PM's and reps so thought I would give this its own thread

GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

this just gave a whole new meaning to the grapefruit diet

I will be adopting this protocol going forward, the studies i have read are very compelling, interested to hear from AM members personal experiences with this

This was brought to my attention this yesterday by a learned member, i have been doing some research and with the help of "copy and paste" i present to you

grapefruit inhibits the enzyme CYP3A4. This enzyme is responsible for breaking down substances through 6beta-hydroxylation. grapefruit only inhibits CYP3A4 in the small intestine. The enzyme is also found in the liver, but grapefruit does not affect it there. Less CYP3A4 in the small intestine means that a large group of substances is more easily absorbed by the body.

Between 17 and 46 percent of these hormones leave the body in the 6beta-hydroxylated form.

Basically, if you drink 250ml of grapefruit juice with your oral medications, it will increase their absorbtion, blood serum concentrations, etc...There was a study done specifically with some 17A drugs, but I decided not to copy it here. The article I did copy (below) is alot more reader-friendly and less technical.
If you are too lazy to read the article, here's the summary:
Drink 250ml of grapefruit juice (thats 8.4 ounces) with your oral steroids, and you just need to drink it once per day, even if you take your orals spread out throughout the day.
I've seen studies where absorbtion of some drugs was increased by up to 500%! (I read this study)
Also...before you ask about the effects of grapefruit juice on oral rec drugs the answer is YES, this applies to ALL ORAL MEDICATIONS/DRUGS infact XANAX for example has a warning on the label as do many other prescription drugs

Bottom line adopting this protocol will give you more bang for your $buck, of the 75mg of VAR a day i am ingesting more will be absorbed by the body so the effect is as of having taken a higher dose

Here's the article:

James Maskalyk
Editorial Fellow, CMAJ

Grapefruit juice interacts with a number of medications. This unusual discovery was made serendipitously in 1989 during an experiment designed to test the effect of ethanol on a calcium-channel blocker.1 The observed response was later determined to be due to the grapefruit juice delivery vehicle rather than the alcohol. In the past decade, the list of drug interactions with grapefruit juice has expanded to include several classes of medication, precipitating a recent advisory from Health Canada.2

The interaction: As little as 250 mL of grapefruit juice can change the metabolism of some drugs.3 This drug–food interaction occurs because of a common pathway involving a specific isoform of cytochrome P450 — CYP3A4 — present in both the liver and the intestinal wall. Studies suggest that grapefruit juice exerts its effect primarily at the level of the intestine.4

After ingestion, a substrate contained in the grapefruit binds to the intestinal isoenzyme, impairing first-pass metabolism directly and causing a sustained decrease in CYP3A4 protein expression.5 Within 4 hours of ingestion, a reduction in the effective CYP3A4 concentration occurs, with effects lasting up to 24 hours.6 The net result is inhibition of drug metabolism in the intestine and increased oral bioavailability. Because of the prolonged response, separating the intake of the drug and the juice does not prevent interference.

Individuals express CYP3A4 in different proportions, those with the highest intestinal concentration being most susceptible to grapefruit juice–drug interactions.5 An effect is seen with the whole fruit as well as its juice, so caution should be exercised with both.7 The precise chemical compound in grapefruit that causes the interaction has not been identified. There is no similar reaction with orange juice, although there is some suspicion that "sour oranges" such as the Seville variety, may have some effect.8 A recent study, however, that tested the known interference of grapefruit juice with cyclosporine showed no similar effect with Seville oranges.9

There is some interest in the potential therapeutic benefit of adding grapefruit juice to a drug regimen to increase oral bioavailability.3 The limitation is the individual variation in patient response. However, if the chemical that causes grapefruit's CYP3A4 inhibition is elucidated, there may be an opportunity to modulate that pathway in a controlled fashion.

What to do: Much of the data obtained on grapefruit juice–drug interactions involved measuring serum drug concentrations in small numbers of healthy volunteers. Because of the limited data and only occasional case reports,10 it is difficult to quantify the clinical significance for individual patients. One may assume that the interaction occurs primarily with oral medicines, and only with those that share the CYP3A4 metabolism pathway, with the consequence being increased oral bioavailability, higher serum drug concentrations and associated adverse effects.

Physicians should review medication lists often, with the goal of warning patients about adverse interactions. A list of medicines with which patients should not consume grapefruit is provided in Table 1.3,11,12 In the case of several medications that share the CYP3A4 metabolism pathway, but for which a clinical effect has not been elucidated or is theoretical, patients should be advised to consume grapefruit cautiously and be monitored for toxicity.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This also increases toxicity, side effects, and potential for unforeseen interactions. Extending T 1/2 is good in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory...

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
This also increases toxicity, side effects, and potential for unforeseen interactions. Extending T 1/2 is good in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory...
agreed you have to be prepared to accept the bad with the good

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really, really would advise using this with drugs that already have a very long T 1/2 such as clen.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I really, really would advise using this with drugs that already have a very long T 1/2 such as clen.
The liver is an amazing organ with the ability to actually regenerate. While off-cycle it heals itself rather quickly.On-cycle my biggest concerns are always blood pressure and lipid (cholesterol) levels. Be sure to take supports on your cycle.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The liver is an amazing organ with the ability to actually regenerate. While off-cycle it heals itself rather quickly.On-cycle my biggest concerns are always blood pressure and lipid (cholesterol) levels. Be sure to take supports on your cycle.
You're far too short-sighted to see my point as the liver is only a fragment of the concern when it comes to all AAS and/or cutting drugs.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
At the risk of sounding stupid....why would we want to use grapefruit juice with orals/research chems that have a very long half-life?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At the risk of sounding stupid....why would we want to use grapefruit juice with orals/research chems that have a very long half-life?
Generally speaking, those with a long T 1/2 also have very bad effects and can only be run for short periods of time (clen is the prototypical example of this). There is so much unknown about clen's side effects on the heart, adrenals, lipids, lungs, etc. that it is already a pretty dangerous drug out there (total side note, but, IMO, it's the dieting drugs and diuretics that are the dangerous part of BBing). Everyone knows how much hell clen does to the receptors and it continues its damage for days after cessation of dosage. Destroying your receptors at the sake of few lbs of fat is not exactly a worthwhile tradeoff.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
it will dramatically increase the half-life of any oral medication

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Generally speaking, those with a long T 1/2 also have very bad effects and can only be run for short periods of time (clen is the prototypical example of this). There is so much unknown about clen's side effects on the heart, adrenals, lipids, lungs, etc. that it is already a pretty dangerous drug out there (total side note, but, IMO, it's the dieting drugs and diuretics that are the dangerous part of BBing). Everyone knows how much hell clen does to the receptors and it continues its damage for days after cessation of dosage. Destroying your receptors at the sake of few lbs of fat is not exactly a worthwhile tradeoff.
This is an unknown but dont see the harm using with an oral such as VAR

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is an unknown but dont see the harm using with an oral such as VAR
What's the point of using it with a 17a oral? Their bioavailability is already extremely high.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Hate to digress.....but wouldn't pulsing clen like EOD (since it's the example here), be better? If clen is that bad for you why would you want to take the grapefruit juice with it (assuming that it does make it more effective and increases sides)?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hate to digress.....but wouldn't pulsing clen like EOD (since it's the example here), be better? If clen is that bad for you why would you want to take the grapefruit juice with it (assuming that it does make it more effective and increases sides)?
It may alleviate some of it, but the T 1/2 would kind of defeat the purpose.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
leaving it in circulation longer without being metabolized can f*** u up with some things. what about hormones that need that cyp enzyme to be metabolized into the active hormone? wouldnt it take alot longer to become active? and u might as well buy AX tribsorbagen because its the grapefruit extract plus other things. U have to drink a ton of grapefruit juice to even see any effects plus u have to do it 30 minutes prior. and BTW you can disable the same enzyme with cimetidine which is OTC.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
leaving it in circulation longer without being metabolized can f*** u up with some things. what about hormones that need that cyp enzyme to be metabolized into the active hormone? wouldnt it take alot longer to become active? and u might as well buy AX tribsorbagen because its the grapefruit extract plus other things. U have to drink a ton of grapefruit juice to even see any effects plus u have to do it 30 minutes prior. and BTW you can disable the same enzyme with cimetidine which is OTC.
u obviously didnt read the article, and there are many more where that came from

LiveWire224

LiveWire224

Awards
  • Established
Can this (destroying receptors) be avoided or minimized by using Clen in a Topical??

And

Can't you pretty much include any PH/DS as a receptor "destroyer"??

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
What's the point of using it with a 17a oral? Their bioavailability is already extremely high.
just to keep this simple here $$$$$$ if you are planning on a cycle of 8 weeks VAR @ 100mg you can prob get away with just 70-75mg a days saving 1500mg of VAR = $$$$$$$. This will vary individulal to individual but you see the point here

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can this (destroying receptors) be avoided or minimized by using Clen in a Topical??

And

Yes, but you're mixing receptors here.

just to keep this simple here $$$$$$ if you are planning on a cycle of 8 weeks VAR @ 100mg you can prob get away with just 70-75mg a days saving 1500mg of VAR = $$$$$$$. This will vary individulal to individual but you see the point here
Based upon, what, a completely hypothetical guess forged upon a few articles that only briefly touch the significance and role of cytochromes?

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established

And

Bingo... Just take less save $$$$$$$

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
why not just take the damn pills with water?

this grapefruit juice sh!t has be beaten up and down for years....

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but you're mixing receptors here.

Based upon, what, a completely hypothetical guess forged upon a few articles that only briefly touch the significance and role of cytochromes?
The only hypothetical is the variance to which it effects bioavaliability, trial and error on an individual basis at a lower dose

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to keep this simple here $$$$$$ if you are planning on a cycle of 8 weeks VAR @ 100mg you can prob get away with just 70-75mg a days saving 1500mg of VAR = $$$$$$$. This will vary individulal to individual but you see the point here.

The only hypothetical is the variance to which it effects bioavaliability, trial and error on an individual basis at a lower dose
How is this not hypothetical?

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
if disabling cyp enzymes was a good idea it would of caught on sooner, tons of companies used bergamotton, grapefruit ext , naringin, bioperine etc to all do the same thing and the effect is marginal at best. even with benzos it barely makes a difference, the high lasts maybe 15 minutes more. yes ive tried this and yes believe me ive read more articles on grapefruit and cyp then this

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
if disabling cyp enzymes was a good idea it would of caught on sooner, tons of companies used bergamotton, grapefruit ext , naringin, bioperine etc to all do the same thing and the effect is marginal at best. even with benzos it barely makes a difference, the high lasts maybe 15 minutes more. yes ive tried this and yes believe me ive read more articles on grapefruit and cyp then this
So you dont believe that 250ml of grapefruit is going to effect the bioavaliability of orals?

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
How is this not hypothetical?
Ok im gonna reserve this space for a detailed answer.... Ive got to get some work done here today:) great debate by the way and i am definitely listening Rodja and have an open mind

Thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok im gonna reserve this space for a detailed answer.... Ive got to get some work done here today:) great debate by the way and i am definitely listening Rodja and have an open mind

Thanks
Unless you have empirical evidence about the efficacy of grapefruit juice upon serum levels of anavar, it's hypothetical.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have empirical evidence about the efficacy of grapefruit juice upon serum levels of anavar, it's hypothetical.
but you dont disagree that it does effect serum levels, correct? just to what degree?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but you dont disagree that it does effect serum levels, correct? just to what degree?
Again, it's in theory. It could be 2ng/dL or it could be 20ng/dL. Either way, you're basing an entire scheme on a very old idea that has died off for a reason.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Again, it's in theory. It could be 2ng/dL or it could be 20ng/dL. Either way, you're basing an entire scheme on a very old idea that has died off for a reason.
You got me, your right im just a rep scheming for the grapefruit industry,

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
This has been discussed multiple times before use the search function next time. Ive realizes that most of your posts I don't like. Beginning with ur questionable bulk to now.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
This has been discussed multiple times before use the search function next time. Ive realizes that most of your posts I don't like. Beginning with ur questionable bulk to now.
You are entitled to your opinion as am i, but i have researched this extensively and i guarantee you there are many here on these forums that have never seen this discussed before so i apologize if this is old news to you

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
You are entitled to your opinion as am i, but i have researched this extensively and i guarantee you there are many here on these forums that have never seen this discussed before so i apologize if this is old news to you
If you researched this extensively then u would have used the search function in your research I would think. And I assure u that plenty of the members are aware of this. Just use search next time por favor.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Based upon your previous statements and threads, I question all of your "extensive" research. Cytochrome and grapefruit interactions have been known for over 20 years and it is nothing new. They first popped up during the andro years and it was marketed to improve the efficacy of non-methylated orals. However, it died just as quickly as it showed up because there is a huge difference between in vitro and in vivo.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
lol, again people are only looking at this GFJ thing from only one side, but to much of the active ingredient can start a chain of events that are not pleasant. will explain further just a lil pressed for tyme.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, again people are only looking at this GFJ thing from only one side, but to much of the active ingredient can start a chain of events that are not pleasant. will explain further just a lil pressed for tyme.
I already said that in the first few replies.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
If you researched this extensively then u would have used the search function in your research I would think. And I assure u that plenty of the members are aware of this. Just use search next time por favor.
My PM box is full of people who most certainly were not aware. I woukd be happy to make a bet that the majority were not aware of the link btwn grapefruit juice and orals as pertains to bioavliability. I don't know why you keep telling me to use the search button either? Do you think I made this up out of thin air?

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Clearly u didn't make this up out of thin air because people have told they are aware of this and its not that great of an idea. You should use the search button because this has already been discussed and instead of starting a new thread u could gain just as much knowledge from reading an old one.

If u feel u are owed some sort of thanks for this then thank you captain obvious now more people know why this is not recommend and potentially harmful.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Clearly u didn't make this up out of thin air because people have told they are aware of this and its not that great of an idea. You should use the search button because this has already been discussed and instead of starting a new thread u could gain just as much knowledge from reading an old one.

If u feel u are owed some sort of thanks for this then thank you captain obvious now more people know why this is not recommend and potentially harmful.
I don't think you have explained anything except make personal attacks and I thought that's what forums were for, debate, so peoeple can make well informed decisions

Please explain to me how drinking 250ml of grapefruit huice with 75mg of Anavar is anymore harful than taking

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you have explained anything except make personal attacks and I thought that's what forums were for, debate, so peoeple can make well informed decisions

Please explain to me how drinking 250ml of grapefruit huice with 75mg of Anavar is anymore harful than taking
Please explain to me how drinking 250ml of grapefruit juice with 75mg of Anavar is anymore harful than taking say 100mg without juice

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
It's already been stated how taking it with gfj makes it diff. And potentially more harmful. I assume u think since anavar is looked at as being a lesser toxic oral you think its safer.but taking it with gfj would change that.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
I'm done debating this. I'm just tired of people not searching for old posts in their "research and postings dumb threads saying they know what they are doing and then asking people to lay out a complete cycle and pct for them. I'm not saying ur guilty of all of this but some of it yea.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I'm done debating this. I'm just tired of people not searching for old posts in their "research and postings dumb threads saying they know what they are doing and then asking people to lay out a complete cycle and pct for them. I'm not saying ur guilty of all of this but some of it yea.
ok i will have to infer from your reply that you are unable to answer the question, you have a total of 5 posts in this thread and have explained absolutely nothing, not one of them states a single fact pertaining to this thread but they all contain personal accusations and if you read my log you would see a very thorough well thought out plan and at no time did i ask anyone to lay out any cycle or PCT for me, if anything i have been accused here at AM of being to thorough.

Off topic i know but i feel the right to defend myself,

This is a thread i started in regards to my first inj. cycle a well layed out 1st effort http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/148831-inject-cycle-review.html

If you were to read you can clearly see i had a well planned and researched cycle, i didnt ask anyone to lay it all out for me as you suggest.

Here is another current thread, its a very thorough log of a well planned out cut
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/149386-clen-var-log.html

Sorry if we are not all is knowledgeable as you but that is what these forums are for, they are public meeting or assembly for open discussion, not a private club for elitists.

rant over

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Nice try but i suggest using the search function next time

You reach maximum effect, the researchers say, after drinking a 250 ml glass of grapefruit juice. Four hours after intake, 47 percent of the enzyme has been deactivated. Twelve hours after drinking the juice, the effect was still pretty optimal. Twenty four hours afterwards, a third of the effect still remains.

It is not know which substances cause the effect. The old theory was that it was the work of naringin and its metabolite naringenin. Laboratory tests do not confirm this though. Another theory is that the furanocourmarin bergamottin – the flavouring in Early Grey tea – and its metabolite 6',7'-dihydroxybergamottin cause the inhibition, but in laboratory tests the effect was only slight. There are probably several phytochemicals at play, all of which contribute to the effect.