Clenbuterol is NOT illegal

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Wanted to post this up as I have been hunting to the answer for this for quite some time. There are a lot of threads and people saying that clen is illegal...and that simply isn't the case.

Drugs and Chemicals of Concern > Clenbuterol
Information and Legal Resources Banner

Drugs and Chemicals of Concern
Clenbuterol
(Street Names: Clen)

October 2009 DEA/OD/ODE

Introduction:

Clenbuterol is a potent, long-lasting bronchodilator that is prescribed for human use outside of the U.S. It is abused generally by bodybuilders and athletes for its ability to increase lean muscle mass and reduce body fat (i.e., repartitioning effects). However, clenbuterol is also associated with significant adverse cardiovascular and neurological effects.

Licit Uses:

In the U.S., clenbuterol is not approved for human use; it is only approved for use in horses. In 1998, the FDA approved the clenbuterol-based Ventipulmin Syrup, manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc., as a prescription-only drug for the treatment of airway obstruction in horses (0.8-3.2 µg/kg twice daily). This product is not intended for human use or for use in food-producing animals.

Outside the U.S., clenbuterol is available by prescription for the treatment of bronchial asthma in humans. It is available in tablets (0.01 or 0.02 mg per tablet) and liquid preparations. The recommended dosage is 0.02-0.03 mg twice daily.

Chemistry and Pharmacology:

Clenbuterol is a beta2-adrenergic agonist. Stimulation of the beta2-adrenergic receptors on bronchial smooth muscle produces bronchodilation. However, clenbuterol, like other beta adrenergic agonists, can produce adverse cardiovascular and neurological effects, such as heart palpitations, muscle tremors, and nervousness. Activation of beta-adrenergic receptors also accounts for clenbuterol’s ability to increase lean muscle mass and reduce body fat, although the downstream mechanisms by which it does so have yet to be clearly defined.

After ingestion, clenbuterol is readily absorbed (70-80%) and remains in the body for awhile (25-39 hours). As a result of its long half life, the adverse effects of clenbuterol are often prolonged.

Illicit Uses:

Clenbuterol is abused for its ability to alter body composition by reducing body fat and increasing skeletal muscle mass. It is typically abused by athletes and bodybuilders at a dose of 60-120 µg per day. It is often used in combination with other performance enhancing drugs, such as anabolic steroids and growth hormone.

It is also illicitly administered to livestock for its repartitioning effects. This has resulted in several outbreaks of acute illness in Spain, France, Italy, China, and Portugal 0.5-3 hours after individuals ingested liver and meat containing clenbuterol residues. The symptoms, which included increased heart rate, nervousness, headache, muscular tremor, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fever, and chills, typically resolved within 2 to 6 days. Consequently, the U.S. and Europe actively monitor urine and tissue samples from livestock for the presence of clenbuterol.

There have also been reports of clenbuterol-tainted heroin and cocaine. Although no deaths were attributed to the clenbuterol exposures, the individuals were hospitalized for up to several days due to clenbuterol intoxication.

User Population:

Clenbuterol is typically abused by athletes. It is thought to be more popular among female athletes as the repartitioning effects are not associated with the typical androgenic side effects (i.e., facial hair, deepening of the voice, and thickening of the skin) of anabolic steroids. Professional athletes in several different sports have tested positive for clenbuterol. Clenbuterol is also marketed and abused for weight-loss purposes.

Illicit Distribution:

Clenbuterol is readily available on the Internet as tablets, syrup, and an injectable formulation. The drug is purportedly obtained by illegal importation from other countries where it is approved for human use.

DEA forensic laboratories reported 8 clenbuterol drug items in 2006, 28 items in 2007 and 18 items in 2008. In the first half of 2009, 6 items were reported by DEA laboratories. According to National Forensic Laboratory Information System (NFLIS), state and local forensic laboratories reported 24 clenbuterol drug items/exhibits in 2006, 18 items/exhibits in 2007, and 3 items/exhibits in 2008. From January to June 2009, one item/exhibit was identified as clenbuterol by state and local laboratories. The relatively small numbers are likely a reflection of the non-controlled status of clenbuterol in the United States.

Control status:

Clenbuterol is currently not controlled under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). However, clenbuterol is listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee as a performance enhancing drug; therefore athletes are barred from its use. Presently, no states have placed clenbuterol under control.

Taken from:
Clenbuterol (Street Names: Clen)

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Control status:

Clenbuterol is currently not controlled under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). However, clenbuterol is listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee as a performance enhancing drug; therefore athletes are barred from its use. Presently, no states have placed clenbuterol under control.

Taken from:
Clenbuterol (Street Names: Clen)
Interesting. I assume it will not stay this way for too long, else Im sure we would be seeing some Clen based supplements from supplement companies that produce hormonal clones.

I wonder why its so hard to find then, I know that I can RESEARCH on google, but many of the sites are pretty sketch. I would never know which is legit.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I assume it will not stay this way for too long, else Im sure we would be seeing some Clen based supplements from supplement companies that produce hormonal clones.

I wonder why its so hard to find then, I know that I can RESEARCH on google, but many of the sites are pretty sketch. I would never know which is legit.
Actually it probably will stay this for a while. If you see the above......the statistics are showing a decline in the number of time clen winds up in a lab. Which they state is the reason why it is not a controlled substance.

I assume the reason clen isn't being produced by companies is because they don't want it to become a problem or it's just too expensive to even bother. The more something is made....the more buzz there is about it....and the more people hear about how well it works....word spreads...etc.

CyberGlitch

Awards
In the U.S., clenbuterol is not approved for human use; it is only approved for use in horses. In 1998, the FDA approved the clenbuterol-based Ventipulmin Syrup, manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc., as a prescription-only drug for the treatment of airway obstruction in horses (0.8-3.2 µg/kg twice daily). This product is not intended for human use or for use in food-producing animals.
No, it's not illegal but neither are a wide variety of medications.

I've bolded the notably items from your article.
Do you have a prescription? No? Then you can be busted. Unlikely but still against the law.
Are you intending it for human consumption? Yes? Then you can be busted. Unlikely but still against the law.

Edit:
That kind of came out bad. I just hate the word illegal. J-Walking is illegal. Most drugs themselves aren't "illegal" it's the intended use and how you acquired them that makes it against the law.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe it's not considered under the controlled substance act but it still requires a prescription to legally buy

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
it's illegal to buy for human consumption. Thats why when you buy it, it says not for human use. For labratory use only.....

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I've been trying to do some more reading as to what the punishment for possessing a Rx-only drug w/o a prescription actually is, but I can't seem to find it and it probably varies from state to state.....and if there even is such a punishment.

I did however find there is a punishment for possessing a controlled substance without a prescription. But we already knew that.

CyberGlitch

Awards
I've been trying to do some more reading as to what the punishment for possessing a Rx-only drug w/o a prescription actually is, but I can't seem to find it and it probably varies from state to state.....and if there even is such a punishment.

I did however find there is a punishment for possessing a controlled substance without a prescription. But we already knew that.
All of the punishable laws are for controlled substances, that's all cops/courts care about. If they arrest you and you have an antibiotic that's not prescribed to you they could care less. They might still confiscate it though and use it against it in the court room with other cases but will not bring charges for the non-controlled substances by themselves.

That's how a lot of IOPs operate with buying prescription drugs online. As long as they don't sell controlled substances it's allowed.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
it depends on the classification of the actual drug....like vicodin is a class 1 drug I believe.....mind you most normal people won't know what clen is to begin with, so nine times out of ten you'll probably be fine.