Do steroids stress/mess up your kidneys?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know orals are not good dfor the liver. I want to know what stresses IF ANY on the KIDNEY is one exposed to from YEARS of steroid use. I do everything under the sun to protect myself from liver issues and heart issues too! (heart healthy and liver protective supps) but I have read stories about kidney dysfunction from gear use, blah blah blah

How? Thanks

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you please elaborate as to WHY/HOW. Thanks

citystreets

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes they are tough for the kidneys probably as much so as the heart or even more. And if you are predisposed to kidney problems, they will bring them to your door sooner. I consider deeply before running any anabolics as kidney problems run in my family

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're right. Sorry fellas. Easy to forget :(

This was ODD: (Vitamins causing kidney probs!?!?!)

Acute kidney injury due to anabolic steroid and vitamin supplement abuse: report of two cases and a literature review.
Daher EF, Silva Júnior GB, Queiroz AL, Ramos LM, Santos SQ, Barreto DM, Guimarães AA, Barbosa CA, Franco LM, Patrocínio RM.

Division of Nephrology, Hospital Geral de Fortaleza, Secretaria da Saúde do Estado do Ceará, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: The use of anabolic steroids and vitamin supplements has reached alarming proportions in the last decades. Adverse effects have been documented and include virilization, feminization, adverse lipid profile, psychiatric disorders, cardiac and liver disease. Acute kidney injury (AKI) is not frequently described. The purpose of this study is to report two cases of AKI associated with anabolic steroid and vitamin supplement abuse. CASE REPORT: Two men, aged 21 and 30 years, presented to the Emergency Department with abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. They reported the use of anabolic steroids and veterinary supplements with vitamins A, D and E. Laboratory tests showed AKI (serum urea 79 and 52 mg/dl, serum creatinine 3.9 and 1.9 mg/dl) and hypercalcemia (calcium 13.2 and 11 mEq/l). Kidney biopsies showed inflammatory interstitial nephritis and acute tubular necrosis. Treatment consisted of vigorous hydration with simultaneous use of furosemide and discontinuation of the vitamins and anabolic substances, and resulted in recovery of renal function. CONCLUSIONS: AKI is an important complication of anabolic steroid and vitamin supplement abuse. The exact pathophysiology of this type of AKI remains unclear. The main cause of renal dysfunction in these cases seems to be the vitamin D intoxication and drug-induced interstitial nephritis. It is mandatory to start early treatment for serious hypercalcemia, with vigorous venous hydration, diuretics and corticosteroids.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"The main cause of renal dysfunction in these cases seems to be the vitamin D intoxication"

Over the anabolic steroids? I think not. Vitamin D has almost no Toxic level, it is extremely high.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OUCH - some good info in support of ursodeoxycholic acid

HISTORY AND ADMISSION FINDINGS: A 28-year-old body builder was admitted because of jaundice. For 80 days, until 3 weeks before hospitalization, he had been taking moderately high doses of anabolic steroids: metandienone (methandienone), 10-50 mg daily by mouth, and stanozolol, 50 mg intramuscularly every other day. Physical examination was unremarkable except for yellow discoloration of the skin and sclerae. INVESTIGATIONS: Bilirubin concentration was raised to 4.5 mg/dl, cholestasis enzymes were normal, while transaminase activities were raised. Liver biopsy was compatible with cholestasis induced by anabolic steroids. TREATMENT AND COURSE: Although the steroids had been discontinued, the patient's general condition deteriorated over 7 weeks. Serum bilirubin rose up to a maximum of 77.9 mg/dl. In addition renal failure developed with a creatinine concentration of 4.2 mg/dl. The patient's state improved simultaneously with the administration of ursodeoxycholic acid and the biochemical values gradually reached normal levels after several weeks. CONCLUSION: Anabolic steroids can cause severe cholestasis and acute renal failure. In this case there was a notable temporal coincidence between the administration of ursodeoxycholic acid and the marked clinical improvement.

PMID: 10506840 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They mentioned vitamins A, D and E

I agree though, sort of odd they attempted to add these vitamins as part of the blame.

"The main cause of renal dysfunction in these cases seems to be the vitamin D intoxication"

Over the anabolic steroids? I think not. Vitamin D has almost no Toxic level, it is extremely high.