Creatine during PCT?

savagery

Awards
Looking for opinions on taking creatine during PCT. It won't suppress LH/test production, and might help keep gains. Any thoughts?

RRAdam

Awards
I'm taking it on cycle - I think I will stop post cycle to shed the water weight.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I usually start creatine during pct. It helps me keeps my strength & size up. I never take it on cycle, so its more effective when I start it PCT.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i've been doing creatine FOREVER now...i do it 24/7/12

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Creatine is great ON and or OFF. PCT it works great for keeping some strength.

uridium245

Awards
Creatine Cycle

I believe I've read somewhere that your not supposed to take creatine for more than 30 days as your body becomes adapted to it. It doesn't really make sense to take it on cycle anyway as your gains will be much higher from the PH/AAS.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I believe I've read somewhere that your not supposed to take creatine for more than 30 days as your body becomes adapted to it.
Post your source for this information. IMO, that is a ridiculously short period of time.

~Todd

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
Post your source for this information. IMO, that is a ridiculously short period of time.

~Todd
bump on that....it sounds more like a blurb from a "Dosing Suggestions" portion of a tub of creatine

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I've heard 6 months on, 6 months off, so your body won't stop producing it's own creatine permanantly. I can't remeber the last time I stopped taking creatine, though. I guess I'll end up on CRT (Creatine Replacement Therapy :p )

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
Creatine is produced by the body but I beieve our chief source is extrinsic anyways. I wouldnt really worry about shutting down creatine production the only reason they suggest you come off is that your body will reach a point of homeostasis with the creatine and you may not get all the benefits. This can be fixed by reloading ever 4-6 weeks in my personal experience. Most medical trials of creatine were six months long so I see no reason to worry about coming off.

uridium245

Awards
Creatine Cycle

Thats pretty much what the article that I read said. It did not warn of any possible hazards from using creatine over extended periods of time, but stated that you would not benefit as much from extended usage vs cycling. I'm still looking for the reference. If I find it I'll post it.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
i read in a health mag tests of people on it for 3 years yielded no negative problems because our main source of it comes from outside our body anyways...hence i've been on it for a year now

skumster225

Board Supporter
Awards
I also take creatine on cycle and off cycle but if I had to pick one I would use it off cycle with PCT.

What creatine is everyone taking?

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
100%, cheapest stuff i can find :) a chemical is a chemical is a chemical

uridium245

Awards
Found it

Below is the article I mentioned earlier. :)

Ask the Doctor: Creatine Cycles
by Eric Serrano, M.D.

October 25, 1999

Dr. Serrano:
I have taken Creatine for some time and found that it seems to be less effective than when I first started using it a year or so ago. I have not used it for 12 weeks and want to try another cycle. Have you learned of any new, more effective ways to use creatine for weight gain and improved performance?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary:
To answer the first part of your question, yes I believe that creatine should be taken in amounts based upon one's bodyweight. Studies I have performed with my athletes indicate that when loading with creatine, an athlete should take an amount equal to .35g/kg of bodyweight and to maintain creatine stores in the muscle, .15g/kg should be used. Taking creatine in this manner allows for people to consume an amount that meets their own physical needs and maximizes the performance and physique related benefits creatine monohydrate has to offer.

Regarding creatine monohydrate cycles, the current recommendation of loading with creatine for 5 days followed by an indefinite period of maintenance leaves a lot to be desired. First of all, people following this recommendation do not know when or if they should either reload or stop taking creatine at any time and are more than likely wasting both creatine and their money by using to much over an extended period of time. Through a great deal of trial and error with my athletes, I have found it to be more effective to load with creatine, maintain creatine stores for a specific amount of time and then cycling off of creatine prior to performing another loading phase. Outlined below is the cycle that I have found to be most beneficial.

Week 1 (Loading Phase): .35g/kg of bodyweight per day. Divide total daily dosage into 5 doses.

Weeks 2-4 (Maintenance Phase): .15g/kg bodyweight per day.

Week 5: Off

Week 6 (Re-Load): Repeat loading phase using .35g/kg bodyweight per day.

Week 7 (Maintenance): .15/kg bodyweight per day.

Weeks 8-10: Off

This method of creatine cycling allows the user to fully load their muscle cells with creatine, maintain these stores and then take advantage of the partial depletion of creatine that will occur during the off week prior to performing another loading phase. This should allow for athletes to fully adapt to the short-term gains obtained from the loading phase and also obtain continual benefits from each creatine cycle they perform.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
IMHO for optimal PCT after a BULKING cycle, creatine should be started ~2 weeks before the beginning of PCT so it has a chance to be "working" by the time PCT comes around.

ManBeast

FLY

Awards
IMO, that loading phase seems like a bunch of crap. It's just the company wanting you to use more creatine faster so you have to buy it more often.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
100%, cheapest stuff i can find :) a chemical is a chemical is a chemical
Remember that impurities are a factor. The Chinese manufactured creatines have generally higher impurity levels and the German manufactured creatines have generally lower impurity levels.

ltnbob444

Awards
I agree with Fly, loading is bunk. I just take it all the time. 365 and prolly 366 this year.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Going off Serrano's recommendation I need to take 33.25 grams for the loading phase and 14.25 grams for maintence. I use swole and get between 9 and 6 grams of the di creatine daily. Those above figures just seem a little high.

Bing Crosby

Bing Crosby

Awards
Going off Serrano's recommendation I need to take 33.25 grams for the loading phase and 14.25 grams for maintence. I use swole and get between 9 and 6 grams of the di creatine daily. Those above figures just seem a little high.
Yea and a little hard on the wallet too.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
To me, i find it humorous to hear some novice gym-goers and gnc shoppers preach creatine to be this magic formula and supplement. I shared this view before entering the world of prohormone, anabolic steriods, and most importantly, keeping updated to the latest supplement and training methods. Creatine nowadays carry a similar importance as protein powder does. Essential, a must, and an almost everyday regime to take. I do not take creatine while on cycle mainly to see the gains im gaining off the cycle, is coming from my diet, training, and the compounds im using. I think creatine is very vital for a pct and the weeks that follows.
Sage

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Personally I see no reason why not to just keep using creatine, whether cutting, bulking, on cycle, post cycle, whatever. It's not as if it's going to stop working in any of the above situations, and seeing how dirt cheap the stuff is money shouldn't be an issue here. I could see how it might be detrimental to a competing bodybuilder if it causes extra water retention in said individual, but other than that I see no reason to cycle off of the stuff.

azgymrat

Awards
To me, i find it humorous to hear some novice gym-goers and gnc shoppers preach creatine to be this magic formula and supplement. I shared this view before entering the world of prohormone, anabolic steriods, and most importantly, keeping updated to the latest supplement and training methods. Creatine nowadays carry a similar importance as protein powder does. Essential, a must, and an almost everyday regime to take. I do not take creatine while on cycle mainly to see the gains im gaining off the cycle, is coming from my diet, training, and the compounds im using. I think creatine is very vital for a pct and the weeks that follows.
Sage
I agree that creatine is a staple like protein and the magic bullet is the PH/AAS. Given that, do you go off protein as well while on cycle? Seems to me that, if you stay on the creatine, the increase in rate of gain while on cycle will still be attributable to the additional compounds. Yes?/No?