American Cellular Labs, Busted

hard iron

hard iron

Awards
  • Established
BALCO agent searches for steroids in supplements

By EDDIE PELLS, AP National Writer Thursday, July 23, 2009

The investigator who led the BALCO probe has taken aim at a San Francisco-area supplement manufacturer, claiming the products they sell are laced with designer steroids.

Authorities filed a search warrant under seal Tuesday in federal court to raid the home of American Cellular Labs CEO Maurice Sandoval and a Max Muscle supplement store he’s associated with for evidence the company sells steroids under the guise of a supplement.

The court documents were made available to the public Thursday.

In an affidavit, Jeff Novitzky, special agent for the Food and Drug Administration, said the company’s products Tren Xtreme and Mass Extreme contained designer steroids “Tren” and “Madol,” which were identified during the investigation into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative.

Novitzky led the way on BALCO, the focal point of a scandal involving performance-enhancing drugs that included top-level athletes, including Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery and Barry Bonds.

Novitzky used some of the same techniques he employed in BALCO to gather evidence supporting the search warrant in this case, including digging through the trash outside Sandoval’s house in Pacifica, Calif.

Travis Tygart, the CEO of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said the raid was welcome news about a multibillion-dollar industry that is not as stringently regulated as the drug industry.

“It ought to give clean athletes renewed hope that the ’A Team’ that was on BALCO is still out there, protecting their rights by continuing to do their best to shut down places that are putting designer steroids out,” Tygart said.

Data seized by investigators could include lists of purchasers of the company’s products. Although major sports and Olympic sports test for Madol and Tren, the drugs are not widely tested for in high schools, many of which have started testing programs in recent years.

Novitzky wrote in the affidavit about his conversation with a salesman at a San Francisco Max Muscle store, who said he would not sell the products to high school kids because there were too many side effects.

Novitzky did not identify himself to the salesman, who told him about a proposed rule to label the products anabolic steroids and said the products would not be around for long because of increased investigations by the FDA into the supplement industry.

The FDA regulates the industry, though some studies show steroids make their way into a number of supplements.

Steve Mister, president of the Council for Responsible Nutrition that represents the supplement industry, conceded in an interview last month that the industry was not spotless.

“There are some small manufacturers who don’t always abide by rules and regulations that are in place,” he said. “But there’s an awful lot of regulation in this industry and to say there isn’t, that’s false.”

A representative from the council did not immediately return an e-mail message left late Thursday by The Associated Press

hard iron

hard iron

Awards
  • Established
gah, and i just checked their company website and they removed like a ton of their products off there, tren extreme, mass extreme, etc., d@nm it!!

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
They can't stop all the companies... and when they do get your needles ready...

**** the govenrment by the way.

hard iron

hard iron

Awards
  • Established
after all that world news crap it was just a matter of time for this to happen

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm just glad I picked up one of their sweatshirts that says "Got Tren?" on the back of it before they got busted.

these things are a real kick...

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
hahaha these two were the first two supplements i ever used. put on 13 lbs with there mass extreme phera in a month haha. noooo wonder! thought I responded well to the phera!!

hard iron

hard iron

Awards
  • Established
i found this somewhere else too:

"federal authorities are looking to seize the Illinois headquarters of ErgoPharm Inc., after a federal agent purchased ErgoPharm products in a Nashua GNC supplement store which contained illegal steroids. ErgoPharm was co-founded by Patrick Arnold, a chemist who served prison time for his role in the BALCO case. FDA issues public health warning about steroid-spiked supplements"
By Christian Red
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

P

phonefool

Awards
hold on a sec....

laced with tren and madol? meaning acl's tren xtreme is laced with real tren? or the same 19-nor compound found in every tren x, xtren clone?

and madol = dmt right...does dmt = phera? i always thought dmt was the same compound as phera but now im looking at the compounds again and seeing a difference? or maybe im just up too late!!

were these two acl products banned for being "laced" or is it the actual compound thats on the label (and on every clones label) what has them banned, meaning all clones might be next in line???

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
DMT is phera

I don't think there's any lacing going on, Massdrol is straight up DMT and "tren" is 19-nor i don't think it really contained actual trenbolone.

They may have a hard time targetting clones... Example AX Superdrol was banned a long time ago. Yet I can order Superdrol from a thousand websites under a few dozen different names.

No worries!

And when they do ban everything they'll just have succeeded in forcing us into the black market with steroids, GOOD JOB, i'll have my needles ready... injectable AAS are healthier and give more retainable gains anyways...

P

phonefool

Awards
yeah i dont think real trenbolone exists in oral form - ok so im not going crazy here i believe your right nothing is actually "laced" - the compound is the compound we thought it was - as far as we know so far - lol.

also noticed its not just mass xtreme (phera) and tren extreme - googling the news article indicates 8 total pro hormones the FDA forced ACL to stop selling - including HMG (epi) and VNS something (prostanz) - they can keep the prostanz lol...

good job FDA how about regulating all the **** in the fast food or even preservatives in the frozen foods - !!!! how bout the factory farms -talk about all the fast food inducing heart disease ....anything consumed irresponsibly can cause serious health problems -maybe even fatal - its ok if you want to get obese as fast as possible, but a responsible boost for a better body - thats the real problem!!!!

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
FDA is fuc*king dumb. They always ban things based on the negative reaction to abuse, not proper usage.

FDA regulated ephedra too, then they realized it was only like 5 people out of the 12 million that used it who actually died from ephedra abuse.

IMO they will continue to beat dead horses forever, and we will always find ways to get around their rediculous regulations.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
ha, good point ktatro. THEY BANNED EPHEDRA...its like really...thats basically a plant extract. no ****ing wonder their going to ban tren if they have to ban plants to boost metabolism. and just like unreal is saying. go ahead and ban the lega ****. youre just going to open up pandoras box and were all going to move to aas. well played. very successful FDA. NOT.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i found this somewhere else too:

"federal authorities are looking to seize the Illinois headquarters of ErgoPharm Inc., after a federal agent purchased ErgoPharm products in a Nashua GNC supplement store which contained illegal steroids. ErgoPharm was co-founded by Patrick Arnold, a chemist who served prison time for his role in the BALCO case. FDA issues public health warning about steroid-spiked supplements"
By Christian Red
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
The feds really dont like PA, ever since the BALCO case they're had a hard on for him, I have no idea what he did to piss them off like this since he already served his time.

Too bad about ACL, I would have liked to try their products!

hard iron

hard iron

Awards
  • Established
lol, its gonna be like the gold rush, everyones gonna run to their local supplement store and buy up any ACL products that they have left

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
im sorry, this is just f ucking retarded...they had a huge frontpage article in the news paper about "supplements laced with steroids"....F UCK U GOVERNMENT

/rant

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Poor Poor PA...
none of this makes sense. after that baseball player complained of tainted products by ergopharm, which ended up being unfounded, they're now raiding his compounds which everyone knows is a prohormone? for what? it matches the bottles claim? why, after years of him selling this stuff, do they all of a sudden decide to label it as bad? i mean, they knew he made it and sold it, he's been on fed watch forever, they've had multiple chances to send him back if the FDA so decided to, so what gives now?

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
none of this makes sense. after that baseball player complained of tainted products by ergopharm, which ended up being unfounded, they're now raiding his compounds which everyone knows is a prohormone? for what? it matches the bottles claim? why, after years of him selling this stuff, do they all of a sudden decide to label it as bad? i mean, they knew he made it and sold it, he's been on fed watch forever, they've had multiple chances to send him back if the FDA so decided to, so what gives now?
their claim is that it was tainted with banned substance which in it self does not make any sense, he'd better sell under dose supps than illegal ones, but i think this story goes back longer than that, didn't they try to get a confession from PA during the BALCO debacle? and he refused thats why he went to the big house, i believe that confession would have helped the feds case against Bonds which they still dont have a case! its revenge! IMO

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i understand that, but damned, he's been making 1-ad for awhile now, and the feds weren't interested... he's never tainted his products, and the feds proved he was innocent of that.... why are they gunning for him now?

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
this is the most pointless banning ive ever heard. good time to do it when our econmy is in the **** to begin with. if they ban all the good stuff its going to be all about aas. we all have our sources and now that they are being bitches its going to move to an illegal world for all lifters. **** the fda

J

jcd30

Awards
AMerican cellular labs

I heard ACL is coming back. There supposed to have a new product line in the next couple months.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
ive said it before and i'll say it again...the government will never like the supplement industry and steroids in general because they never see a dime from it.

I

ianm4208

Awards
I think the bright side about this, is when all the designer steroids are gone, the ppl who shouldnt use steriods will be less likely to b/c a straight jump to injectables will seem less appealing. That make sense?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Over regulation will be the downfall of America as a whole. When a man cant wipe his @$$ without filling out 3 request forms and mentioning it on is 1040, people are going to finally pop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Anabolics 3
NattyT Anabolics 10
B Supplements 1
J Anabolics 4
Xman315 35 and Older 12