increase strength for baseball

sakes

Awards
what PH should i take to get stonger without slowing me down. i dont want to have to take a ton more cals. im 155lbs / 5'7''

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'd be better off performing for power as oppose to strength if sports performance is your primary goal.

You want your shoulders and hips to perform at a high velocity. Quantity of weight that you can move is not quite as necessary as power, this is especially true in baseball. Develop some base strength, then employ that strength over power movements. Big curls and a big bench won't do anything for you. Swings and pitches are all derived from hips and shoulder velocity.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
lol...that was funny...thanks for settin me straight dad...To the op...in all seriousness at 155 you probably havent trained very long have you...and i really dont mean the circuit training your coach has you do for 15 minutes during practice(wow...i am being an as$ tnight...) going the steroid/ph route may not be for you.

Edit: then again why the fu@k do i care...run a halodrol clone..you will get lean gains and little sides...great for a baseball strenght cycle

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
lol... sorry... Meant how old was the OP :)

oh my bad for calling you dad then redwolfe...really sorry...i completely read that wrong...i thought you were callin me out...i got dropped a lot as a child...on my head

bb4life

bb4life

Awards
  • Established
core exercises are the best for baseball... you don't need a ph/ps. I went from throwing 86-91 and hitting maybe 385ft. to about 430tf. just after 3 months of really training my core.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
core exercises are the best for baseball... you don't need a ph/ps. I went from throwing 86-91 and hitting maybe 385ft. to about 430tf. just after 3 months of really training my core.
good advice

sakes

Awards
what parts of my core/exercises should i do for velocity? i do regular core work outs but nothing that REALLY helps with my pitching. i still WANT to try some PH that would be as mild as possible. i just turned 21 this summer but i only have like 3 years of training. i use to run cross country and just turned to weight lifting around 18.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The three best things for pitching are long toss, cleans and squats

bb4life

bb4life

Awards
  • Established
The three best things for pitching are long toss, cleans and squats
and lots of ab/oblique work.

honestly i believe that pitchers don't need to work things like bench press/curls/etc... over my career every pitcher i saw that started lifting and doing these things only hurt themselves. core lifts and work those legs. don't worry about upperbody strength while you're playing. pitchers throw too much to handle upperbody lifting in my opinion.

for your velocity start using stretch bands if you don't already, there are about 10 good exercises that you can perform with the bands that will not only strengthen your shoulder/arm but will also add a few mph to each pitch.