Anyone ever used Anti-Thyroid Medications to Bulk Up?

Sub7

Awards
The theory we are all too familiar with goes as follows: Both too much and too little thyroid will make it harder to build muscle. Too little thyroid in your system and protein turnover will be too slow, too much and you will burn muscle at too fast a rate. Normal, i.e. moderate thyroid levels are best to build muscle.

However, things do not seem to be working this way in real life. In reality, I have never seen anyone increase his thyroid levels and build muscle faster as a result. The theory though predicts that this should be true for some people. If your thyroid is too low, you should build muscle at a faster rate once you start taking exogenous thyroid. But again, everyone I saw actually had a harder time once they introduced exogenous thyroids. Also, I have never seen anyone not be able to bulk up because their metabolism was too slow.

If this is true (and it may not be) anti-thyroid medications to slow down the thyroid should help at least some people build more muscle. I understand that fat gain would also be high, but still, for some people who cannot put on more muscle, it may be worth it.

Did anyone ever try something like this?
If my observations are inaccurate, please share your views. I would love to hear differing views.

Thanks

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
The theory we are all too familiar with goes as follows: Both too much and too little thyroid will make it harder to build muscle. Too little thyroid in your system and protein turnover will be too slow, too much and you will burn muscle at too fast a rate. Normal, i.e. moderate thyroid levels are best to build muscle.

However, things do not seem to be working this way in real life. In reality, I have never seen anyone increase his thyroid levels and build muscle faster as a result. The theory though predicts that this should be true for some people. If your thyroid is too low, you should build muscle at a faster rate once you start taking exogenous thyroid. But again, everyone I saw actually had a harder time once they introduced exogenous thyroids. Also, I have never seen anyone not be able to bulk up because their metabolism was too slow.

If this is true (and it may not be) anti-thyroid medications to slow down the thyroid should help at least some people build more muscle. I understand that fat gain would also be high, but still, for some people who cannot put on more muscle, it may be worth it.

Did anyone ever try something like this?
If my observations are inaccurate, please share your views. I would love to hear differing views.

Thanks
Thyroid is a GLAND. It produces two primary chemical messengers (thyroid hormones): A) T3 and B) T4.

By "too much thyroid", I'm assuming you're speaking of the thyroid hormones and not literally the gland. Yes?

Since the Thyroid's hormone output (T3 & T4) is affected by the pituitary's release of TSH and TSH is down-regulated by test, just get on test.

Sub7

Awards
Since the Thyroid's hormone output (T3 & T4) is affected by the pituitary's release of TSH and TSH is down-regulated by test, just get on test.
You're talking massive doses of test used for a long period of time. I do not have numbers at hand, but thyroid hormone output and conversion is little affected by a moderate cycle of test -if at all...