choice of oil

Craig

Awards
how does one go about choosing an oil for an injectable? i have seen a few different oils being used from reading over people's recipes (cottonseed, sesame, etc.). what makes one oil better suited for injection than another? is there a more desirable fatty-acid ratio? are more saturated fats better, like coconut (high in lauric & myristic fatty acids) or highly unsaturated fats like linoleic or linolenic? do some work better at dissolving powders than others?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I like peanut oil myself. Always do just fine for my experiments

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Cottonseed USP...there is a good reason that pharmaceutical companies use this oil exclusively.

Get it from http://lemelange.com for a real good price.

Chemo

Craig

Awards
Chemo,

Out of curiosity, do you know why they use it? Does it dissolve the powders better? Better resistance to oxidation/rancidity?

Thanks.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
For its viscosity and purity. There are other close seconds like grapeseed, sesame, and peanut but they are harder to acquire in sufficient purities and usually have some type of additives (preservatives).

This is not to say that peanut or sesame cannot be used as they have been employed successfully for years by the homebrewer due to their ease of acquisition (available at the local grocery). Thanks to the internet we now have access to USP quality oils at a cheaper rate than what you'd pay at the grocery.

Would you want internet available USP quality oil for cheaper or higher priced local peanut oil? Depends on your situation...but I prefer Lemelange since they ship same day (usually) and offer a kick ass price.

Chemo

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
LeMelange Cottonseed oil rox.... and so do their quantities of BA and BB. :D

ManBeast

George valley

Awards
Hey chemo .Im wondering ....of all the sites on the whole web why would you use an arts and craft site for oil?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Because it is good oil and the company is a good company.. She also worked with us to set up a sections for homebrewing PH's and other stuff..

Craig

Awards
i used some grapeseed oil, it seems to work well. there is a great place in town that sells very fresh, 100% pure oils in bulk (have to sterilize and filter them yourself). is grapeseed more viscous than sesame? it takes a little while to get it into the syringe through a 22g pin. 25g pin was not going to cut it.

Sldge

Super Lab Rat
Awards
  • Established
also, Cottenseed dosent go bad over the course of year as other oils do. this way if you wanted to store products lets say, they wont go bad.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Good point DS...nothing worse than having your oil rancid when you need it.

Chemo

size

Awards
  • Established
This is taken from an Upjohn test cypionate insert.
This is directly off insert->

Each mL of the 200mg/mL solution contains:
Testosterone cypionate........................ 200mg
Benzyl benzoate................................... 0.2mL
Cottonseed Oil...................................... 560mg
Benzyl alcohol(as preservative)............ 9.45mg

Craig

Awards
i've seen cottonseed oil used in most injectable oil-based pharmaceutical preparations. i've tried to avoid cottonseed oil as a result of discussions i've had on soapmaking boards--where a lot of soapers won't use it as a base oil because of the chemicals used to raise cotton (except organic cotton, but organic cottonseed oil is not very common)--it is difficult to say for sure if this is a real issue or just a superstition amongst soapmakers, but i am a little reluctant to put it directly into my muscle tissue if soapers won't use it in soap. i try to get organic or at least non-pesticide treated plant oils whenever possible.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
i've seen cottonseed oil used in most injectable oil-based pharmaceutical preparations. i've tried to avoid cottonseed oil as a result of discussions i've had on soapmaking boards--where a lot of soapers won't use it as a base oil because of the chemicals used to raise cotton (except organic cotton, but organic cottonseed oil is not very common)--it is difficult to say for sure if this is a real issue or just a superstition amongst soapmakers, but i am a little reluctant to put it directly into my muscle tissue if soapers won't use it in soap. i try to get organic or at least non-pesticide treated plant oils whenever possible.
Soapmakers are usually dealing with technical grade cottonseed oil which has no guarentees of quality or purity.

If it is USP grade then there are assurances of quality raw materials, proper manufacturing, storage, handling, and of course end product quality.

Technical grade affords none of those...

Chemo