Give you $50 if you interpret this....

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
17-Epimerization of 17 alpha-methyl anabolic steroids in humans: metabolism and synthesis of 17 alpha-hydroxy-17 beta-methyl steroids.

Schanzer W, Opfermann G, Donike M.

Institut fur Biochemie, Deutsche Sporthochschule, Cologne, Germany.

The 17-epimers of the anabolic steroids bolasterone (I), 4-chlorodehydromethyltestosterone (II), fluoxymesterone (III), furazabol (IV), metandienone (V), mestanolone (VI), methyltestosterone (VII), methandriol (VIII), oxandrolone (IX), oxymesterone (X), oxymetholone (XI), stanozolol (XII), and the human metabolites 7 alpha,17 alpha-dimethyl-5 beta-androstane-3 alpha,17 beta-diol (XIII) (metabolite of I), 6 beta-hydroxymetandienone (XIV) (metabolite of V), 17 alpha-methyl-5 beta-androst-1-ene-3 alpha,17 beta-diol (XV) (metabolite of V), 3'-hydroxystanozolol (XVI) (metabolite of XII), as well as the reference substances 17 beta-hydroxy-17 alpha-methyl-5 beta-androstan-3-one (XVII), 17 beta-hydroxy-17 alpha-methyl-5 beta-androst-1-en-3-one (XVIII) (also a metabolite of V), the four isomers 17 alpha-methyl-5 alpha-androstane-3 alpha,17 beta-diol (XIX) (also a metabolite of VI, VII, and XI), 17 alpha-methyl-5 alpha-androstane-3 beta,17 beta-diol (XX), 17 alpha-methyl-5 beta-androstane-3 alpha,17 beta-diol (XXI) (also a metabolite of V, VII, and VIII), 17 alpha-methyl-5 beta-androstane-3 beta,17 beta-diol (XXII), and 17 beta-hydroxy-7 alpha,17 alpha-dimethyl-5 beta-androstan-3-one (XXIII) were synthesized via a 17 beta-sulfate that spontaneously hydrolyzed in water to several dehydration products, and to the 17 alpha-hydroxy-17 beta-methyl epimer. The 17 beta-sulfate was prepared by reaction of the 17 beta-hydroxy-17 alpha-methyl steroid with sulfur trioxide pyridine complex. The 17 beta-methyl epimers are eluted in gas chromatography as trimethylsilyl derivatives from a capillary SE-54 or OV-1 column 70-170 methylen units before the corresponding 17 alpha-methyl epimer. The electron impact mass spectra of the underivatized and trimethylsilylated epimers are in most cases identical and only for I, II, and V was a differentiation between the 17-epimers possible. 1H nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectra show for the 17 beta-methyl epimer a chemical shift for the C-18 protons (singlet) of about 0.175 ppm (in deuterochloroform) to a lower field. 13C NMR spectra display differences for the 17-epimeric steroids in shielding effects for carbons 12-18 and 20. Excretion studies with I-XII with identification and quantification of 17-epimeric metabolites indicate that the extent of 17-epimerization depends on the A-ring structure and shows a great variation for the different 17 alpha-methyl anabolic steroids.

:D :D :D

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Basically what it says in laymen terms:

Layment Translation
I tested a reaction that deactivates most steroid compounds. Instead of the usual 17a-methyl/17b-ol configuration I found a way to flip those around in a relatively easy reaction.

Not only did I test a useless reaction but I also found that modern analytical equipment can analyze them! As would be expected, NMR technology can test them all!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn chemists :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I probably owe him much more than that :D

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ha! I owe him less! I don't feel so bad, now.. :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go eat a friggin yam!

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Cute... :)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Umm...... Weave no get that study, it look crazy :confused: :D :D

Thanks for the laymen explanation Chemo, not sure what this guy was trying to get across with this....bored maybe? :)

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I like his exotic range of steroids for research.. furazabol, clostebol, etc. Lucky boy

db682

Awards
  • Established
I tested a reaction that deactivates most steroid compounds. Instead of the usual 17a-methyl/17b-ol configuration I found a way to flip those around in a relatively easy reaction.
duh,
Why didnt I think of that?:confused:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Big Cat

Board Supporter
Awards
Well, I've been trying to get my hands on this study for a while now, my library doesn't have it. So pocket your 50, if you can get me the study somehow, I'll explain its relavance for free :

The body can indeed flip the 17amethyl and 17bhydroxy bonds, and this is a study to detect the metabolites. The relevance of it is that 17a-hydroxy metabolites are a lot less active. The degree to which a certain oral steroid is anabolic can be strongly influenced, and therefore possibly explained, by the degree to which it is metabolized to a 17a-hydroxy metabolite.

Trenbolone for instance, easily metabolizes to 17A-trenbolone, one of the major urinary excretion products after administration of trenbolone. 17a-trenbolone is considerably less active than 17b-trenbolone.

Oltmann

Awards
Well, I've been trying to get my hands on this study for a while now, my library doesn't have it. So pocket your 50, if you can get me the study somehow, I'll explain its relavance for free :
I have access to it. 1.8MB PDF.

Is it acceptable to post a yousendit link to such here?

Big Cat

Board Supporter
Awards
If not, feel free to mail it to me at [email protected]

And if ever I can return the favour, perhaps a study I could find for you at my library, feel free to let me know

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Guys this thread is almost 2 years old :)

CROWLER

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys this thread is almost 2 years old :)

CROWLER
I have a hunch that Big Cat was doing a search for this study, found this thread, and bought it back to life in the hopes he could get the full report. Looks like he was successful too! :thumbsup:

Big Cat

Board Supporter
Awards
I have a hunch that Big Cat was doing a search for this study, found this thread, and bought it back to life in the hopes he could get the full report. Looks like he was successful too! :thumbsup:
You would be correct in that assumption :) The thread came up on a google search.