Dolphins' Taylor takes on Merriman, positive test

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Dolphins' Taylor takes on Merriman, positive testAssociated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor says the candidacy of his likely chief rival for NFL defensive player of the year, Shawne Merriman, was tainted by a four-game steroid suspension in November.

Taylor
"You really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with," Taylor said Wednesday. "To make the Pro Bowl and all the other awards, I think you're walking a fine line of sending the wrong message."

Merriman, who plays outside linebacker for the San Diego Chargers, has denied he's a steroid cheat and blamed his positive test on a tainted supplement.

"A performance-enhancing drug is, obviously, what it is," Taylor said. "You enhance your performance by doing that. You fail that test, I think it's not right. It's against the rules and ultimately I think it's sending the wrong message to the youth in America and the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it."

When told of Taylor's comments, Merriman said he tries to be a good role model, adding he has taken his punishment for the positive drug test.

"If I wasn't having the kind of season I'm having, this wouldn't even be a conversation," Merriman said. "The NFL will always have the level of integrity. That's what makes the NFL. In my situation, everything happened in an appropriate way. I sat out my four games, my money was taken away from me, my four games were taken away from me, and I came back and played my rear off."

Merriman leads the NFL with 16 sacks in 11 games for the AFC West champion Chargers (13-2). He has four forced fumbles and has one interception.

"He's always making plays," Taylor said. "He's one of the best young talents we have in this game right now as far as defensively, and he has had an unbelievable year. With that being said, there are certain rules and guidelines we have to abide by to play in this game."

Taylor has been one of the few bright spots this season for Miami (6-9). In 15 games, he has 13½ sacks, 10 fumbles forced and two interceptions, both returned for touchdowns.

Taylor made his comments in a conference call with reporters in Indianapolis. The Dolphins conclude their season Sunday against the Colts.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

So what do you think?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Jason Taylor is in all likelihood a good person but he should keep those comments in the locker room or to himself. The steroids don't replace film study, work ethic, or the testicular fortitude needed to play in the NFL. I wonder is there's a little jealosy involved because Merriman stats are much more impressive even though he's played 4 fewer games the Taylor ?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Jason Taylor is in all likelihood a good person but he should keep those comments in the locker room or to himself. The steroids don't replace film study, work ethic, or the testicular fortitude needed to play in the NFL. I wonder is there's a little jealosy involved because Merriman stats are much more impressive even though he's played 4 fewer games the Taylor ?

Yes but do increase his abilty to recover,increased endurance, increase his strength and speed. Im sorry, but taylor has been in the league for 10 years and has only missed 4 games in his career, playing @ a pretty decent level @ a lower weight than most DE. I think he has every right to speak his mind

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Yes but do increase his abilty to recover,increased endurance, increase his strength and speed. Im sorry, but taylor has been in the league for 10 years and has only missed 4 games in his career, playing @ a pretty decent level @ a lower weight than most DE. I think he has every right to speak his mind
Maybe Jason Taylor would love to take steroids, but because of some kind of moral obligation to play by the rules, he does not.

I have no problems with steroid using athletes, but its funny when a guy follows the "league" rules, then points out that another guy did not follow the same rules, he is chastized as a "hater" or just being jealous.

I am pretty sure that Jason Taylor has access to the same supplements as Merriman. If you can't find steroids in southbeach or San Diego your not looking.

Its not like he had a DWI, he got caught cheating, you know 5 aces up his sleeve, Merriman is the guy with the black hat, not Taylor!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The thing I didnh't like is that Taylor makes it seem (IMO) as if Merriman is good because he takes steroids. If all it took was steroids then many AM members would be in the NFL but that's not the case.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
True. It does take physical ability and skill to make it into the NFL, but if you are sitting at the top and you have used roids, should you be considered to be the best at your sport or should the guy who is next in line and proven not to have used roids be considdered the best?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
True. It does take physical ability and skill to make it into the NFL, but if you are sitting at the top and you have used roids, should you be considered to be the best at your sport or should the guy who is next in line and proven not to have used roids be considdered the best?
IMO yes you should because what matters is what you do on the field.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO yes you should because what matters is what you do on the field.
I agree totaly. Its survival of the fittest out there. If you arent fit enough then you arent at the top!

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
The thing I didnh't like is that Taylor makes it seem (IMO) as if Merriman is good because he takes steroids. If all it took was steroids then many AM members would be in the NFL but that's not the case.

Not everybody in the NFL uses steroids, but some guys are in the NFL because they take steroids. Some guys get drafted strictly on size, speed and strength. The teams believe that their programs and coaching will make the athlete into a stud player, but that's why there are draft busts and guys who "walk- on" out of no where

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Not everybody in the NFL uses steroids, but some guys are in the NFL because they take steroids. Some guys get drafted strictly on size, speed and strength. The teams believe that their programs and coaching will make the athlete into a stud player, but that's why there are draft busts and guys who "walk- on" out of no where
I agree not everyone uses roids but I disagreed with Taylor's comments on how using steroids has allowed him to be that dominant. It takes a lot more then just using steroids.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
I think all Taylor meant was that it is a black eye of sorts for the NFL to have a defensive POY canidate who was suspended for steroids so recently. We have to keep in mind that unfortunately the general population doesn't see steroids in the same way that most of us do, and regardless of the safety and benefits with proper steroid use, he still broke the rules. Either way, Merriman's stats for missing 4 games are insane

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I agree not everyone uses roids but I disagreed with Taylor's comments on how using steroids has allowed him to be that dominant. It takes a lot more then just using steroids.
Sure, you need ancillarys and a solid diet with a well developed post cycle therapy! Not to mention a good gameday stimulant(b-12/meth) and of course you need to ease it down post game(oxycotin/liquor)

Seriously, Merriman is "the" dominant defensive player in the NFL
It seems unfair that San Diego has the most dominant offensive player as well, LT is the truth!!! Chargers should be the Super Bowl winner!!!( except for the fact that the league is fixed!)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, Merriman is "the" dominant defensive player in the NFL
It seems unfair that San Diego has the most dominant offensive player as well, LT is the truth!!! Chargers should be the Super Bowl winner!!!( except for the fact that the league is fixed!)
At least the NY Giants or Cowboys won't win it this year :D If the Packers win it then something is seriously wrong. Who do you think will win it ?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The point is, his stats wouldnt be as high if he wasnt using and he would not be as fast as he is @ a weight of 270 something pounds. You are correct it takes more than steroids to be in the NFL, but taylor has been their 10 years day in and day out. How many Homeruns would bonds have hit if he wasnt using? Professional athletes train to the point that they are not just training with the basics, they are useing every tiny advantage to increase just slightly over their opponent. So to say that merriman would be as dominant without them I would disagree, now this is only opinion because there is no way to prove that, but I still believe that they do give you more than an edge, or what reason would their be to take them.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Those of you who think that Steroid use in the NFL is common, or even far greater than is publically reported, I have a few questions and answers for you.

How many players are there in the NFL? : around 2300

How many players test positive, on average, in any given recent year? 3-6

How many times per year does a player get tested, on average?:
about 3.6, that's highly variable, it's often much higher.

Let's do the numbers, 2300 players X 3.6 = 8,280
resulting in ~ 1: 1380-2760 positives, 99.92-99.96% clean.

Why would that be, since we know that gear gives a strength athlete a real edge?

It's because it takes more a little finessee to beat the tests for metabolites and the T/Epi ratio, carefully dosed and times cycles with bloodtests, that's the domain of a medical professional.

Medical professionals that will do this for the $ are out there, but not nearly as common as people think. Why? the penalties for doing this are loss of license and/or indictment by the DEA. Harsh potential penalties for a shorterm financial gain is a strong deterent.

Gear use was rampant in the days before testing, now it's really tapered off in the pros, it's simply not easy and it's risky to try and beat the testing. HGH and IGF are another story, that's where the action is, but soon those loopholes will mostly close as well.

No one gets to the Pros on gear alone, and absolutely no one stays there using any chemical aids as a substitute for natural unenhanced ability, more smarts than the public realizes and a very strong work ethic.

How do I know these things? Believe me or not, I was a player in the NFL for a number of years, and have maintained personal and professional contacts throughout the league.
..do you remember a guy named Tony Mandarich? He was a HGH poster child back when only elite BBs were using it. He was a high draft offensive lineman (#1) based on the fact that he was a giant monster who destroyed the Big !0 d-tackles. He did not make it in the NFL because he had the worst foot work ever. No technique could not pass block.

You are right, drugs got him to the "show" but, drugs alone could not keep him there!

You could take HGH the morning you get tested and not have it detected. The immunoassasy tests which involve biopsies are way to expensive and impractical to apply. They would have to biopsy ever player then compare tissue samples, even then no guarentee of accuracy.

All those masking drugs and protocols are administered by "non-doctor" types like trainers and nutritionist or the "personal assistant" of the mega-rich athletes. I remember a years worth of real deal HGH cost about $25,000 back in the day, It takes these guys one play to make that kind of money.

Your right steroids are old school thats why "nubes" like Merriman get caught, guarenteed that never happens again!

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
So what do you think?

What do I think?

"A performance-enhancing drug is, obviously, what it is," Taylor said. "You enhance your performance by doing that. You fail that test, I think it's not right. It's against the rules and ultimately I think it's sending the wrong message to the youth in America and the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it."

Maybe Taylor should just come out with all of the guys on his team that are using so the the team abides by the rules, sends a positive message to the youth in America and the right message to the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it.
He could also come out with guys on other teams as well. That would make him really popular not only with the guys but also with people like Bryant Gumbel who will have plenty of questions for him.

Let's not stop there. I'm asking all cyclists,baseball players,powerlifters,gymnasts,special forces members:ntome: , frisbee golfers,bobsledders,curlers,midget chuckers,carnival bell ringers, greyhounds and lets not forget the race horses, that members of the Goverment bet on each year at the Kentucky Derby, to come out and level the playing field in their particular sport by turning in these cheaters.

There is Meth in that gymnasts protein powder. You just went from gymnast to jackass. Keep America safe and level people.:hammer:

bachovas

bachovas

Awards
In all honesty, and staying away from the performance enhancing part of steroids, it does send a bad message to the people.

Imagine a disturbed kid in high school, deciding to do a cycle at an age of 18, because he wants to be like Shawne Merriman.

And with a good excuse, "Using turned Merriman into the beast he is, if I want to be like him, I have to use too".

Said that. If I ever make it to the NFL, I'd really like to get drafted by the Chargers.

Merriman, Luis Castillo, Scott Foley...etc. They seem to have a good "program".

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
No one gets to the Pros on gear alone, and absolutely no one stays there using any chemical aids as a substitute for natural unenhanced ability, more smarts than the public realizes and a very strong work ethic.
:goodpost: pretty much what I was trying to say. We all know Merriman used but the gear is not the reason he dominates.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
In all honesty, and staying away from the performance enhancing part of steroids, it does send a bad message to the people.

Imagine a disturbed kid in high school, deciding to do a cycle at an age of 18, because he wants to be like Shawne Merriman.

And with a good excuse, "Using turned Merriman into the beast he is, if I want to be like him, I have to use too".

Said that. If I ever make it to the NFL, I'd really like to get drafted by the Chargers.

Merriman, Luis Castillo, Scott Foley...etc. They seem to have a good "program".
Sadly, these kids are often the end product of bad parenting. If they don't turn to steroids there are countless other drugs out there for them :(

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
:goodpost: pretty much what I was trying to say. We all know Merriman used but the gear is not the reason he dominates.
Again, yes it is in my opinion. This is not what he said, what he said was steroids dont keep you there. Dominating in the NFL and staying in the NFL are 2 different things many players can stay in the NFL. He dominated because he was using a performance enhancing drug. Im not saying he isnt a good player. If the steroids were not helping then why wopuld he risk a 4 game suspension coupled with a loss of pay, plus have this leaked to the news. Staying the NFL is not dominating, nobody is questioning his ability to be or deserve to be in the NFL, what is in question is his ability to play a better level than everybody else.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Merriman's traps are like the size of Ronnie Colemans.