ESPN: USC's Place in History

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
For those of you who catch Sportscenter on a nightly basis, you know the ESPN is comparing the current 2005 USC Trojans to the greatest teams in college football history. Thus far, USC is among the top 3 teams of all-time (and top 2 according to Mark May).

Though some of the comparsions are virtually impossible and simply spectulation - it makes for interesting conversion.

The top 11 college teams of all time were voted by fans on ESPN's Sportsnation.

Here is the current list [will update this list]:
#11: 1991 Washington Huskies (USC Wins: 78%)
#10: 2002 Ohio State (USC Wins: 77%)
#9: 1969 Texas Longhorns (USC Wins: 74%)
#8: 1997 Michigan Wolverines (USC Wins: 63%)
#7: 1999 Florida State Seminoles (USC Wins: 67%)
#6: 1955 Oklahoma Sooners (USC Wins: 71%)
#5: 1988 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (USC Wins: 56%)
#4: 1994 Penn State Nittany Lions (USC Wins: 52%)
#3: 1979 Alabama Crimson Tide (USC Wins: 55%)
#2: 2001 Miami Hurricanes (Miami Wins)
#1: 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers (USC Wins)

Last edited:
CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Thus far, I believe USC beats all the team except:

#4: 1994 Penn State Nittany Lions (USC Wins: 52%)
*The prime of the BIG10 football, sorry PAC10 lovers - the East Coast is much rougher. Kerry Collins and Ki-Jana Carter were probably the top college players in the country - just as Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush are today. This is simply isn't as skilled
as 2005 USC - but they are much tougher.

I say: 27-20 Penn St.

#2: 2001 Miami Hurricanes
The Hurricanes had the best secondary in college football history. USC's recievers wouldn't get open even if Leinart could get them the ball. Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey, Ed Reed, Shaun Taylor, etc. etc. etc. a ton of first round picks. Miami kills USC.

I say: 56-21 Miami

#7: 1999 Florida State Seminoles (USC Wins: 67%)
This wasn't the most talented Seminole team of all time but Peter Warrick was the single best college football player I ever saw. I say Florida State sneaks by with Chris Weinke playing smart.

I say: 17-16 FSU (Warrick scores 2 TDs)

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
That makes sense, all time top three before this year's national championship is played. :blink:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, in '02 it was "The Miami Hurricanes could beat the Cincinnati Bengals." We all know how that worked out for them.

Brock Landers

Awards
Binge......you boy Herbie picked 01 UM to take out USC, I think it was 34-21 or something along those lines...

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
i believe the number one team is the huskers from i think 95 and i have no doubt in my mind that they would beat the crap out of usc. they were the nastiest team i have ever seen in my life.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
^^^
i think you are right

the sad irony is Tom Osbourne knew all his Nebraska teams were using steroids - yet he sponsors a bill taking them out of our hands.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i believe the number one team is the huskers from i think 95 and i have no doubt in my mind that they would beat the crap out of usc. they were the nastiest team i have ever seen in my life.
I agree, best team I have ever watched.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Hi Binge.

Remember the penalty?

Well, it took that for OSU* to beat Miami.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I would also say that '88 Notre Dame could give USC a run for its money. They had beaten the 'Canes who had like a 30+ win streak or something insane like that when the came into South Bend. Hands down the greatest game I ever saw. A bunch of blue coller boys beating the mighty 'Canes. Who At the time were just incredible. They whipped on everybody.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Plus they had some cool names on their defense. Ned Bolcar, Mike Stonebreaker, and Chris Zorich.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
95 huskers would have beaten USC by 3 touchdowns easy

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
LC - that phantom fumble inside the ND 2 yard line was what allowed ND to win.

Replies showed the Miami RB's knee was down (but we didn't have challenges back then so oh well) but ND recovered on the 2 yard line.
Somehow, the refs gave ND the ball on the 20 yard line.
Quite a difference (owning up to the fact that the fumble was an awful call but there was no replay).

But, that was a long time ago. And we won a national title the next year, so who cares.

Truck 44

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea, the 95' Huskers were pretty impressive, I remember watching them kick Florida's butt in the national title game. I was so pissed, I am a Florida fan.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
LC - that phantom fumble inside the ND 2 yard line was what allowed ND to win.

Replies showed the Miami RB's knee was down (but we didn't have challenges back then so oh well) but ND recovered on the 2 yard line.
Somehow, the refs gave ND the ball on the 20 yard line.
Quite a difference (owning up to the fact that the fumble was an awful call but there was no replay).

But, that was a long time ago. And we won a national title the next year, so who cares.
I need to see that again but I recall it being the right call. But it was a long time ago so I could be wrong.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I didn't remember it either, but someone has a video (grainy since it was from the '80's) and I saw it early this year. It shows the runner's knee was down and the ball recovered on the 2.

If I can find it (doubtfull), I'll link it.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, in '02 it was "The Miami Hurricanes could beat the Cincinnati Bengals." We all know how that worked out for them.
Yeah, unfortunately; with HORRIBLE penalty calling, giving away some pass interference calls, etc the referrees GAVE that game to Ohio State.

Those calls and the calls I saw at the Iowa vs Florida game (Outback bowl right?) will go down in infamy

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bean - you aren't the 1st non-Miami fan to say that PI call was the worst call they've seen (or something of the sort).

Here from a Nole fan
"From Dennis in Tallahassee, Fla.: I have to disagree with you about the '02 OSU team beating USC. OSU, no matter how badly they whipped UM's offensive line in the championship game, needed a bogus penalty (this coming from a 'Nole ... so you know I have no love for Miami) when the fireworks were going off, in order to keep that game going. Otherwise, they wouldn't have even beaten that '02 Miami team. Love your column, though!"
On this link:
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=feldman_bruce&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=feldman_bruce#20060103

gten79

Awards
95' Nebraska would have destroyed them. That was the most dominant team I have ever seen in College Football period. The numbers don't lie.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Bean - you aren't the 1st non-Miami fan to say that PI call was the worst call they've seen (or something of the sort).

Here from a Nole fan
"From Dennis in Tallahassee, Fla.: I have to disagree with you about the '02 OSU team beating USC. OSU, no matter how badly they whipped UM's offensive line in the championship game, needed a bogus penalty (this coming from a 'Nole ... so you know I have no love for Miami) when the fireworks were going off, in order to keep that game going. Otherwise, they wouldn't have even beaten that '02 Miami team. Love your column, though!"
On this link:
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=feldman_bruce&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=feldman_bruce#20060103
Well now USC can join the 2002 Hurricanes in having a definite win stripped from them by bad calls from the referees. I mean WTF. Texas given a free touchdown; and they didnt even attempt to review it. One of the WORST calls I've ever seen in my life, college or NFL. The fumble late in the 4th by the Texas receiver was gay too.

Congrats Texas; its possible to beat USC when the ref has your back. :blink: :rofl:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I agree horrid call on their 1st TD.
BUT, Texas had an INT that was not reviewed that was a catch.

But, I guess we can just forget ESPN's piece on how great they are.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
this USC team isn't top 50 of all time.
the defense is pathetic.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Very disappointed in USC's defensive performance. If they would have had a D that could match up agaisnt Texas' D they would have won easily. Poor tackling, poor coverage, and no speed.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Are you folks just now figuring out that USC, like the rest of the PAC-10, have no D?

95 Huskers averaged 400+ yards/game on the ground. That's clock control, that's freaking amazing.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Are you folks just now figuring out that USC, like the rest of the PAC-10, have no D?

95 Huskers averaged 400+ yards/game on the ground. That's clock control, that's freaking amazing.
Yeah that true about the D, but what happens to Nebraska if they fall early 14-0 ? I think the 2001 Miami Hurricanes are the best team I've seen, they'd handle the 95 Huskers for sure.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Miami had 12 1st Round Picks starting against Nebraska in the Rose Bowl in 2002.
That's 12 of 22 starters. Un-real.
(I maybe forgetting someone so Brock can correct me.)

Willis McGahee - fullback (Portis started at RB but wasn't picked until the 2nd Rd by Denver
Bryant McKinnie - OL
Jeremy Shockey - TE
Andre Johnson - WR
William Joseph - DL
Jerome McDougle - DL
DJ Williams - LB
Jonathan Vilma - LB
Mike Rumph - CB
Philip Buchanon - CB

and the best of all (and reason why '95 Nebraska doesn't roll up 400 yards rushing)
Ed Reed - S

I already mentioned Portis - he was probably the 2nd best player on the team behind Reed.

Also, Frank Gore (who as a frosh was THE most dynamic RB I've ever seen - including McGahee - over 9 yards/carry) on 2 healthy knees was backing up Portis.
Antrel Rolle played quite a bit at nickel corner.
Kellen Winslow and Sean Taylor played quite a bit on special teams.
"Big Daddy" Vince Wilfork was a freaking back-up at Defensive Tackle.

I mean really now.
You can talk stats with these other teams, but you can't compare talent. Miami 2001 had the most talent ever.
18 total 1st round picks on that roster. Damn.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
Okay...

I know I'm jumping in here late and after the fact, but USC's defense has been suspect all year.

It really hasn't mattered because they've been able to outscore everyone else, but USC doesn't compare with the great speed and power of the SEC teams of the ages or the seemingly endless stream of Florida State Ds that we've seen. Or Nebraska, etc...

Reggie Bush, Leinhart, and Co. are awesome, but they were always weak on D.

I had called that Texas' D would win them this game, and that (along with Carrol's play calling) decided the game.

Oh, glad to see ole Hollywood star wonderboy Leinhart showing the class he is so known for by declaring that the better team lost.

Oh, he's a great college quarterback, but until he starts producing at the next level, it might be wise to keep his mouth shut. Especially if he winds up on the Saints. :rofl:

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh, glad to see ole Hollywood star wonderboy Leinhart showing the class he is so known for by declaring that the better team lost.

Oh, he's a great college quarterback, but until he starts producing at the next level, it might be wise to keep his mouth shut. Especially if he winds up on the Saints. :rofl:
:icon_lol: :twisted: :hammer:

that was evil but funny

phil216

Awards
  • Established
The only way the 95 huskers would have been down by 2 scores early would have been if they played on Sunday. That was the best team ever by far, they laid 62 on the number 2 gators and it could have been a lot more

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Look - they had a great team.

But, that FLA team SUCKED on defense.

I mean SUCKED.

Neb. was great on running the football. But, where was the balance on offense???

I'm a Cane homer but I have to say that Nebraska's only beaten us in 1995 when we have one of our worst offenses EVER.

Every other Neb-UM Bowl Game has been a UM win.
2001 Canes by a TD.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Nope.

Clarett's supposed strip of Sean Taylor was pure and utter bullsh*t.
Then, there was the call.

I ain't giving up sh*t when it came to that piece of crap officiated game.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The only way the 95 huskers would have been down by 2 scores early would have been if they played on Sunday. That was the best team ever by far, they laid 62 on the number 2 gators and it could have been a lot more
Why is that impossible, with Andre Johnson, Jeremy Shockey, and Clinton Portis is could happen. I doubt Grant Wistrom would even be much of a factor against McKinney and he was the one guy that truly was great on NU's defense, I personally think the Chris Weinke Florida State Seminoles would have been a much better matchup vs. the Hurricanes

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
There's an average of 145-155 plays per college football game. If a team feels they were cheated out of victory by a single play, they should'nt have let it come down to just one, they had plenty of opportunities to nullify the effect of a single wrong call.
Alright RD. It's my birthday - I'll post crap and rehash some old sh*t f I wanna . And you have to put up with it. :p

I watched the game again tonight entirely (it was on ESPN classic) for the first time since that fateful night - Jan. 3rd 2003.
I said I'd watch after Coker was fired - and I did.

The statement of "one play doesn't decide" a game doesn't hold water for OSU* in the Fiesta Bowl. The game was over in the 1st OT when Jenkins DROPPED Krentzl's pass.

Until Terry Porter's oh so fateful flag fell to earth (after most of the UM team was on the field and fireworks were going off).

So - yes, one play DID decide the Fiesta for OSU*. Without that bogus-azz penalty, the game is over.

I will give them credit for taking advantage of the flag.
I will never recognize that they won though.

As a side note - watching "the call" for the first time since that fateful night, it's just sickening how f*cking bad of a pass interference call that was.
Just sickening.
I had forgotten what exactly the play looked like.
Rather curious that he "retired" from officiating after this game..............

It's amazing how much of a home game this was for the Bucks. Quite a few Buckeye hotties (didn't know you guys had those up there :lol:) - that I can appreciate now.

Man, I had forgotten how much losing McGahee hurt the offense. He was just starting to get his rythem when he got hurt about 1 min into the 4th Q (way to be classy Will Allen - double throat slash).
He had like 20 yds in the first half - but 49 and one TD in basically the 3rd Q. With Coker (stupidly IMO - yeah, hindsight is 20/20...) not wanting to burn Frank Gore's redshirt (he had torn an ACL in April 2004 and was practicing on the side IIRC, should have been 80% or so at that point) that he ended up not using, we had little running game with an untested Jarrett Payton (had 40 carries coming into that game) and were forced to go to the pass.

Which brings me to another note - Damn, Winslow was a freaking BEAST in that game. 11 catches for like 130 yards and a TD.
I didn't remember most of those catches. Impressive stuff.

Coker's first ominous appearance that he was a bad head coach: the end of the 4th quarter. Roscoe Parrish returned an OSU* punt to their 30 yard line with UM down 17-14.
What does Coker summarily do with about 2:30 left?

Run the clock down and go for a field goal to tie (Todd Seivers then made an clutch 30 yarder after being iced 3 times by Sweatervest). :aargh:
In years past - Miami would have gone for the jugular. Coker doesn't even know the meaning of the word.
Jesus.
F*cking throw the ball to Kellen. He couldn't be stopped. It's not that hard, Larry. (Or - maybe it is....)

Another example of Coker being Coker (or maybe this was Shannon - who knows) came in the first OT. OSU* has the ball with a 4th and 14.
What do we do?
Lay back in a puzzy-azz zone and get to Krenzel right after he throws the ball for a first down to Jenkins (rushing only 4).

BLITZ!!!! You had DJ Williams AND Jon Vilma - two freaking future All-Pro's - at LB. God damn - grow some balls Coker.
Move the SS up to the line and blitz a CB - we had Antrell Rolle (a soph) sitting on the damn bench. Leave Sean Taylor back at the first down and play press coverate with the CB's. Leave Vilma in the middle to cover whichever RB comes out (presuming the other sees the CB/LB blitzing and stays to block). Then you are left with a man running free at Krenzel (assuming the C still double teams Vince Wilfork). Don't think he'd have time to get off a pass for the first down seeing how Matt Walters (DT) got to him a split sec. too late with rushing only 4.
Are you telling me Rolle couldn't tackle Krentzel???? He sure learned how to CB blitz the next year...
But - what the hell do I know. I'm merely a chemical engineer.

All in all - Miami had their chances and didn't capitalize. No excuse for that (except that Coker was a retard).
OSU* did capitalize. I'll give them credit for that.

But - they were handed the game.

I'm beyond mad 4 years later - and I've seen that there's no point in debating this with any Buckeye fans.
You won't change my mind - and I won't change yours.
I suppose I've changed my opinion of most Buckeye fans (thanks to Binge). I don't hate most of you guys anymore. (Only the ones that continually say that OSU* "beat the sh*t out of Miami".)
I don't expect Buckeye fans to denounce their title. I just don't want to listen to BS like what Bucknuts said somewhere on here before "our band and cheerleaders were even better than yours".
Ha.

I'll never forget that BS call though. Never.
You can call me a crier or a whiner. I don't care. I've been around here long enough and been negitive repped/laughed at for even dumber stuff.

I'm honestly not even sure why I'm posting this, seeing as I'm the only Cane fan on here amongst like 5/6 Buckeye fans (if MattD was still around - I'd probably get banned if this were directed at an SEC team :rolleyes: - yet, I digress). Ehh - what the hell do I care? What's another lengthy post in a career of over 4000 lengthy posts here on AM....

Just needed to get my thoughts out after seeing it for the first time in 4 years to you guys - already talked to some Vol friends of mine.

Enough for now.
Here's to a good one in the Orange Bowl on September 11th, 2010. :cheers:
See you there Buckeyes.
Time to pack "the video" away until, perhaps, 2010...
(Congrats if anyone actually read my ramblings down to here...if you did - here are a few hotties here here we love NCSU here here Ohi-ho and here)
Merry Christmas to all - and to all a good night!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Your opinon is the only one that matters. ;)

gten79

Awards
Alright RD. It's my birthday - I'll post crap and rehash some old sh*t f I wanna . And you have to put up with it. :p

I watched the game again tonight entirely (it was on ESPN classic) for the first time since that fateful night - Jan. 3rd 2003.
I said I'd watch after Coker was fired - and I did.

The statement of "one play doesn't decide" a game doesn't hold water for OSU* in the Fiesta Bowl. The game was over in the 1st OT when Jenkins DROPPED Krentzl's pass.

Until Terry Porter's oh so fateful flag fell to earth (after most of the UM team was on the field and fireworks were going off).

So - yes, one play DID decide the Fiesta for OSU*. Without that bogus-azz penalty, the game is over.

I will give them credit for taking advantage of the flag.
I will never recognize that they won though.

As a side note - watching "the call" for the first time since that fateful night, it's just sickening how f*cking bad of a pass interference call that was.
Just sickening.
I had forgotten what exactly the play looked like.
Rather curious that he "retired" from officiating after this game..............

It's amazing how much of a home game this was for the Bucks. Quite a few Buckeye hotties (didn't know you guys had those up there :lol:) - that I can appreciate now.

Man, I had forgotten how much losing McGahee hurt the offense. He was just starting to get his rythem when he got hurt about 1 min into the 4th Q (way to be classy Will Allen - double throat slash).
He had like 20 yds in the first half - but 49 and one TD in basically the 3rd Q. With Coker (stupidly IMO - yeah, hindsight is 20/20...) not wanting to burn Frank Gore's redshirt (he had torn an ACL in April 2004 and was practicing on the side IIRC, should have been 80% or so at that point) that he ended up not using, we had little running game with an untested Jarrett Payton (had 40 carries coming into that game) and were forced to go to the pass.

Which brings me to another note - Damn, Winslow was a freaking BEAST in that game. 11 catches for like 130 yards and a TD.
I didn't remember most of those catches. Impressive stuff.

Coker's first ominous appearance that he was a bad head coach: the end of the 4th quarter. Roscoe Parrish returned an OSU* punt to their 30 yard line with UM down 17-14.
What does Coker summarily do with about 2:30 left?

Run the clock down and go for a field goal to tie (Todd Seivers then made an clutch 30 yarder after being iced 3 times by Sweatervest). :aargh:
In years past - Miami would have gone for the jugular. Coker doesn't even know the meaning of the word.
Jesus.
F*cking throw the ball to Kellen. He couldn't be stopped. It's not that hard, Larry. (Or - maybe it is....)

Another example of Coker being Coker (or maybe this was Shannon - who knows) came in the first OT. OSU* has the ball with a 4th and 14.
What do we do?
Lay back in a puzzy-azz zone and get to Krenzel right after he throws the ball for a first down to Jenkins (rushing only 4).

BLITZ!!!! You had DJ Williams AND Jon Vilma - two freaking future All-Pro's - at LB. God damn - grow some balls Coker.
Move the SS up to the line and blitz a CB - we had Antrell Rolle (a soph) sitting on the damn bench. Leave Sean Taylor back at the first down and play press coverate with the CB's. Leave Vilma in the middle to cover whichever RB comes out (presuming the other sees the CB/LB blitzing and stays to block). Then you are left with a man running free at Krenzel (assuming the C still double teams Vince Wilfork). Don't think he'd have time to get off a pass for the first down seeing how Matt Walters (DT) got to him a split sec. too late with rushing only 4.
Are you telling me Rolle couldn't tackle Krentzel???? He sure learned how to CB blitz the next year...
But - what the hell do I know. I'm merely a chemical engineer.

All in all - Miami had their chances and didn't capitalize. No excuse for that (except that Coker was a retard).
OSU* did capitalize. I'll give them credit for that.

But - they were handed the game.

I'm beyond mad 4 years later - and I've seen that there's no point in debating this with any Buckeye fans.
You won't change my mind - and I won't change yours.
I suppose I've changed my opinion of most Buckeye fans (thanks to Binge). I don't hate most of you guys anymore. (Only the ones that continually say that OSU* "beat the sh*t out of Miami".)
I don't expect Buckeye fans to denounce their title. I just don't want to listen to BS like what Bucknuts said somewhere on here before "our band and cheerleaders were even better than yours".
Ha.

I'll never forget that BS call though. Never.
You can call me a crier or a whiner. I don't care. I've been around here long enough and been negitive repped/laughed at for even dumber stuff.

I'm honestly not even sure why I'm posting this, seeing as I'm the only Cane fan on here amongst like 5/6 Buckeye fans (if MattD was still around - I'd probably get banned if this were directed at an SEC team :rolleyes: - yet, I digress). Ehh - what the hell do I care? What's another lengthy post in a career of over 4000 lengthy posts here on AM....

Just needed to get my thoughts out after seeing it for the first time in 4 years to you guys - already talked to some Vol friends of mine.

Enough for now.
Here's to a good one in the Orange Bowl on September 11th, 2010. :cheers:
See you there Buckeyes.
Time to pack "the video" away until, perhaps, 2010...
(Congrats if anyone actually read my ramblings down to here...if you did - here are a few hotties here here we love NCSU here here Ohi-ho and here)
Merry Christmas to all - and to all a good night!
I watched the game again too. Man Ohio state must have gave the officials a BCS ring to. Miami was so stacked that year there isn't any reason why they should have lost, unless poor coaching was the case and it was. The difference in that game was that Tressel is a big game coach and Coker is a hack. But I have to admit that game should have ended in the endzone in OT. What a ****ing disgrace....:frustrate :rant:

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
For what its worth, I've been a buckeye fan all my life and I will be the first to admit that that win is tainted, other fans can justify it any way they want but I can only imagine the feeling of being miami's players after that call. 2001-2002 miami really was an NFL talent producing machine

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Honestly - I'd have given up posting on that situation around you guys along time ago (not that I'll forget it....) if your fans would have said just that.
A simple "hey - we know we were handed the game, it was over save for the call - but we'll take it" would have been plenty. I think that's really all the reasonable Cane fans would have liked to see.

Hell - I'm not on Nevada's board to defend a bad call in the Blue Turf bowl. I know it helped us win. I'll take the bad call.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Believe me, I won't give you any guff for your complaining...if I am in your shoes I am doing the same thing every time it comes up. They say one play doesn't win or lose a game, but I would say the very LAST play certainly can

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
95 nebraska
2001 canes
2005 USC

USC's defense in 2005 is what hurts them against these other teams. Heck FSU's 1999 team could possibly beat them too.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
You mean USC '04???????

Where does this Gator team compare with those mentioned above?

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
Where does this Gator team compare with those mentioned above?
They dont deserve to even be talked about as one of the best teams ever, I'm too young to know all the teams on that previous list though. We are weak at RB and OL. It is debateable to say that they played the greatest national championship game ever....yea 95 nebraska blew out the gators but that gators team wasn't that great that year. People were trying to say this years OSU should be in talks for one of the greatest teams ever, that was BS before the game and even more so now.

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
95 Huskers over any USC team and Miami team, period! Sorry about it...can't stop Tommy (Frasier or Osbourne) and ball control!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
95 Huskers over any USC team and Miami team, period! Sorry about it...can't stop Tommy (Frasier or Osbourne) and ball control!
I respect that.

I can only offer my argument: the '94 Miami team (with Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis starting) with one of THE worst offenses we've had in the last 25 years lost by 7 points to the '94 Nebraska team in the OB (Canes had a late 17-10 lead).
The only big difference I know of between '94 Nebraska and '95 Nebraska is Frazier at QB (that dead white QB played in the '94 OB - forget his name).
And the '01 Miami team beat the hell out of Nebraska in the Rose Bowl.

People's perception and memory of the '95 team is clouded by the beatdown of UF. A soft team with holes on D that Spurrier knew - which is why he got some young guy named Stoops to coach his D in '96.
Miami's perception (as Corso pointed out) was that they struggled - therefore '95 Nebraka would win.

I don't dispute they struggled - but let's analyze. Miami struggled (A) when Coker called off the dogs (see Virginia Tech and Nebraska) or couldn't remember that he had good RB's when Dorsey had his one bad game (Boston College).
But - when they Canes felt disrespected - they turned on the jets.
Ask Washington - they got trucked 61 to 7 in the Orange Bowl (and haven't recovered since). Then, Syracuse got raped 66 to 0 the next week (again - haven't recovered).
Both were top 15 teams at the time (UW in the top 10).
I'm quite sure that '95 Nebraska would be favored (maybe quite heavily judging by ESPN's poll/panel a few weeks ago).
You think Ed Reed ain't gonna be up in everyone's ear before the game telling them that???

As Kirk Herbstreit said "Miami will just roll up 8 in the box - 5 of those were first round draft picks with 3 Pro-bowlers - and make Nebraska throw the ball against Phillip Buchanon and Mike Rumph at CB with Ed Reed in the middle."
Jon Vilma at MLB seemed to figure out that option pretty quickly in the Rose... ;)

Seriously though - apart from a HUGE coaching advantage - I don't think the Nebraska running game is the huge advantage all you old people think.
The '01 Nebraska team couldn't do sh*t on the ground (includes Crouch) until Coker calls off the dogs.

The Miami O in '01 was well-balanced. Shockey and Andre Johnson catching the ball on the outside with what is probably THE best RB rotation ever - Frank Gore (pre-ACL tears was averaging 9.5 yards/carry), Willis McGahee, and Clinton Portis.
The Cane OL was one of the best we've had - anchored by Bryant McKinnie.
This O wasn't the soft Gator O that Neb. faced in '95.

I think Nebraska has very little success passing - and Miami "holds" them to 300 yards rushing (I think they averaged 400 to 450 yards/game).
The Canes O runs the ball with Portis and Gore to the outside - and McGahee inside the tackles - with relative success, 225 yards.
Dorsey hits Andre on a drag route that he turns upfield for a long TD. Then - Shockey goes wild.

Canes win by a TD.

How 'bout some analysis Max??

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
I respect that.

I can only offer my argument: the '94 Miami team (with Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis starting) with one of THE worst offenses we've had in the last 25 years lost by 7 points to the '94 Nebraska team in the OB (Canes had a late 17-10 lead).
The only big difference I know of between '94 Nebraska and '95 Nebraska is Frazier at QB (that dead white QB played in the '94 OB - forget his name).
And the '01 Miami team beat the hell out of Nebraska in the Rose Bowl.

People's perception and memory of the '95 team is clouded by the beatdown of UF. A soft team with holes on D that Spurrier knew - which is why he got some young guy named Stoops to coach his D in '96.
Miami's perception (as Corso pointed out) was that they struggled - therefore '95 Nebraka would win.

I don't dispute they struggled - but let's analyze. Miami struggled (A) when Coker called off the dogs (see Virginia Tech and Nebraska) or couldn't remember that he had good RB's when Dorsey had his one bad game (Boston College).
But - when they Canes felt disrespected - they turned on the jets.
Ask Washington - they got trucked 61 to 7 in the Orange Bowl (and haven't recovered since). Then, Syracuse got raped 66 to 0 the next week (again - haven't recovered).
Both were top 15 teams at the time (UW in the top 10).
I'm quite sure that '95 Nebraska would be favored (maybe quite heavily judging by ESPN's poll/panel a few weeks ago).
You think Ed Reed ain't gonna be up in everyone's ear before the game telling them that???

As Kirk Herbstreit said "Miami will just roll up 8 in the box - 5 of those were first round draft picks with 3 Pro-bowlers - and make Nebraska throw the ball against Phillip Buchanon and Mike Rumph at CB with Ed Reed in the middle."
Jon Vilma at MLB seemed to figure out that option pretty quickly in the Rose... ;)

Seriously though - apart from a HUGE coaching advantage - I don't think the Nebraska running game is the huge advantage all you old people think.
The '01 Nebraska team couldn't do sh*t on the ground (includes Crouch) until Coker calls off the dogs.

The Miami O in '01 was well-balanced. Shockey and Andre Johnson catching the ball on the outside with what is probably THE best RB rotation ever - Frank Gore (pre-ACL tears was averaging 9.5 yards/carry), Willis McGahee, and Clinton Portis.
The Cane OL was one of the best we've had - anchored by Bryant McKinnie.
This O wasn't the soft Gator O that Neb. faced in '95.

I think Nebraska has very little success passing - and Miami "holds" them to 300 yards rushing (I think they averaged 400 to 450 yards/game).
The Canes O runs the ball with Portis and Gore to the outside - and McGahee inside the tackles - with relative success, 225 yards.
Dorsey hits Andre on a drag route that he turns upfield for a long TD. Then - Shockey goes wild.

Canes win by a TD.

How 'bout some analysis Max??
I can't rebuttle you bigdog!! Very nice...

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

The problem with all these "best team of all-time" is that NO ONE uses much of any data whatsoever. You end up getting old farts like Lou Holtz and Berry Switzer and Lee Corso saying "Miami had a close game, Nebraska didn't - so Nebraska is better."
Holtz doesn't even know it's 2007 - he thinks it's 1988 and Notre Dame is relevant.
Switzer is out of it also - he kept saying crap about how damn good Nebraska was and about playing them even though he was in the NFL during that '95 season.
Corso just makes up crap off the top of his head - usually to piss someone off (I think Herbie during that show).

Herbie brought up data - but none of the younger people on that side of the set said anything.

That and EVERY PERSON in Nebraska ALWAYS logs on to these votes and picks their '72 and '95 teams as #1.

I give them credit for that - but it's a bit like the billion Asians voting Ichiro as the top player in Major League Baseball's All-star voting EVERY YEAR (or when that Shinjo guy finished a close 4th in NL outfield voting with a 0.250 batting average at best). I mean, really now.

This year's ESPN version was just stooooooopid. Texas '05 and '71 Nebraska met on one half with '01 Miami against '95 Nebraska on the other half.

Both NU teams won like 70 to 30.

I just don't understand that. If you could theoretically take those NU teams and play those UM/UT teams with the players exactly as they were in the '70's and '90's - they'd get trucked.
Conditioning and size and strength now is way bigger than back then.
So - to compare something like that is just retarded.

But - what do I know, I'm a Canes homer. :rolleyes: