Most overrated QB's in the NFL!

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
When will people start discussing how much of a bust David Carr, Micheal Vick, and others are. Many of these Quarterbacks have talent but either can't stay upright enough(David Carr), aren't smart enough to run a system or tough enough(M.V) and others can't stay healthy(Chad Pennington, Brian Leftwich, Chris Sims and many others).

I can't wait till Matt Leinart comes to the NFL next year. Oh and what is up with all these injuries this year. My fantasy team is definitely dead!

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When will people start discussing how much of a bust David Carr, Micheal Vick, and others are. Many of these Quarterbacks have talent but either can't stay upright enough(David Carr), aren't smart enough to run a system or tough enough(M.V) and others can't stay healthy(Chad Pennington, Brian Leftwich, Chris Sims and many others).

I can't wait till Matt Leinart comes to the NFL next year. Oh and what is up with all these injuries this year. My fantasy team is definitely dead!
You can't wait for Leinart to come to the NFL so he can get his fucking neck broke?? I know that's what I'm waiting for... :D

I was so pissed that they beat ND last weekend man... Damn I'm still heated from it

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Michael Vick is definately the #1 overrated player in the entire NFL. I'd take Matt Schaub the backup over him any day. He can be fun to watch, that is until he ends up on the injured list once again.

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
is he over rated as a passer? of course. there are the few optimists of us left who still believe he will develop in time. but the fact remains that he wins games from the qb position. wither it's by running or throwing that's all that matters, the w. i think culpepper is the most overrated in the league.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Culpepper is another one as you said. I think Marcus Vick has a better chance at being a good QB than Michael does. I think Mike even said his brother was a better passer.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Culpepper is another one as you said. I think Marcus Vick has a better chance at being a good QB than Michael does. I think Mike even said his brother was a better passer.
I agree... I just hope they don't put him on the cover of Madden :)

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
youre right. in an interview mike said marcus was more accurate and that is painfully obvious watching him play at v tech this year, not to mention he is only .04 of a second slower in the 40 than mike. im jealous of who ever gets him once he leaves college. what i dont understand is the inconsistancy of culpepper. one season he leads the league in turnovers, the next he has the 2nd best passer stats in the league behind manning and look at him now.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Marc Bulger, Kerry Collins, Trent Green, and to an extent Favre & Culpepper. Favre and Culpepper aren't able to carry their team on their own like I thought they would. I picked the Packers to be in the NFC title game this year becauise I still thought Favre could carry that team like he did in the late 90's

BTW, you can't really say Vick is a bust. His passing stats may not be pn the same level as Peyton Manning but the guy can win. He still can get better as a passer. Steve Young took a while to develop, John Elway didn't have great passing stats early in his career. He still has a chance to develop into a good passer IMO, he will have to because he won't last the way he's playing and I think he know it.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hmm...for some reason, it's not letting me quote people...but I agree with Iron W to an extent. It seems like it's Favre this, and Favre that, especially when Madden is talking about him. This guy has thrown SO many INT's, when the game is on the line (reg and post season) that he just cannot win the big games. But what is really weird about him, is that each and every time I think he is so overated and needs to hang it up, he lashes out and throws 4 TD passes the next game....it's like it's hit or miss with him anymore...but I guess Green's fumble's doesn't help the team win games either so... :)

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
See the problem with Favre these past few years is he knows he has to carry that team on his back because the defense has been horrible and for some reason the front office doesnt like to spend money to get and/or keep talent at wide out. So with him thinking everything is on him he has tried to throw the perfect pass and take too many chances into coverage resulting in the higher number of ints. Is he over rated? Hell no! He just needs to stop thinking so much and just be the gunslinger he used to be. Lord knows he still has the arm to do it. Not to mention they got rid of his stud o line this past off season. That's not going to improve anybody's stats

Maldito

Awards
Culpepper its a great QB...my pick for most over rated its Favre or brady.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Favre or Brady? You are absolutely crazy. Not only that, but you called Culpepper a great QB. For one, Favre has never really had a great supporting cast around him and when he did he won a SB and led his team to numerous postseason appearences (he always seemed to have a way of beating my Niners). The reason he throws so many picks is because the guy tries to do too much. Why? Because no one else around him does anything to put the team into a position to win. He knows this and sometimes he tries to do too much. Brady...all I have to say is 3 SB's in 4 years. Brady is an awesome pocket passer and he has a strong and accurate arm. I don't how you could call 2 future hall of famers overrated. Bulger isn't overrated in my opinion. A good example is what happened against the Colts. The score was 17 to 0 with Bulger in the game. Once he got hurt, the Colts totally took the game over and blasted the Rams. He is a little small and needs to gain a few pounds, but he has a pretty decent arm. Vick isn't a bust, but the guy needs to work on becoming a QB instead of trying to be a RB.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Good points luckyboy. I also think Cullpepper is OT'ed as well....take moss away and he ain't **** but a turnover king.

ND, are you sure that Favre won a SB? I always thought that he was one of the oltimers that still hadn't? I'm probably confused though.

Vegas Lord

Awards
Mike Vick

Quarterbacks are only as good as their team. Put anyone of the quarterbacks mentioned in the latter on the Bucs team with thier D and running game this year.....(David Carr could lead the Bucs to the Superbowl). Tom Brady has more losses on his resume already thanks to the bad run d the Pats have. Overall, if your oline can't do squat and you dont have a dominant D to fall back on I dont care what quarteback you have.... even Vick won't cut it. Hell, if you have a great D, you could win the Superbowl with Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson.....NUFF SAID. To answer the original poster's question..... Mike Vick because of not him so much but what the media tries to make him out to be a guy that could lead his team to a Superbowl victory (which will never happen). Why? He isn't tough enough to play through pain......he is made of glass. Don't get me wrong, he could lead my Bucs to the Superbowl this year. Not becuse of Vick, but becuase of the D.... Peace.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah Trent Green is definitely overrated! Vick is good but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons by any means. I mean yeah is is an UNBELIEVABLE runner but the fact he can't complete a pass for **** doesn't justify his running ability. Therefore defenses stack up against the run whether its going to Dunn or Vick runs it himself. **** they need to turn him into a wideout lol.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Culpepper.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Quarterbacks are only as good as their team. Put anyone of the quarterbacks mentioned in the latter on the Bucs team with thier D and running game this year.....(David Carr could lead the Bucs to the Superbowl). Tom Brady has more losses on his resume already thanks to the bad run d the Pats have. Overall, if your oline can't do squat and you dont have a dominant D to fall back on I dont care what quarteback you have.... even Vick won't cut it. Hell, if you have a great D, you could win the Superbowl with Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson.....NUFF SAID. To answer the original poster's question..... Mike Vick because of not him so much but what the media tries to make him out to be a guy that could lead his team to a Superbowl victory (which will never happen). Why? He isn't tough enough to play through pain......he is made of glass. Don't get me wrong, he could lead my Bucs to the Superbowl this year. Not becuse of Vick, but becuase of the D.... Peace.
That is true in a sense, but can apply to just about any position on the field. Without a good O-Line, a RB can't be effective. Without a good QB, a receiver doesn't have the opportunities to make plays. One or two good defensive players can't make up for the deficiencies in the rest of the defense. No one player can carry a team on his back, it takes a team effort. A good QB takes advantage of the resources around him and does the most with what he has to work with. Based on your generalization, any QB that played for the champion Patriots (maybe not this year), could become a great QB. Bull Fucking ****. Dilfer and Johnson won SB's because they didn't make huge mistakes. They went out there and did the job that was asked of them. Run the ball, don't turn the ball over and let the defense make plays. Some guys just don't understand this; that's when they try to do too much and start making mistakes and losing football games.

Maldito

Awards
hey, i didnt say the are not good.. they are just over rated!.
i agree about brady, he is a good pocket QB but he is still over rate, specially because he won 3 SBs. look at the pat offensive line they get no credit but they do 80 % of bradys job. you put some real presure on brady and he is done!

the same thing about frave, he is old and over rated, im not saying is not good. he has tons of talent but now that he is so old he throw tons of INTS. HE IS OVER RATED!

about Culpepper just because he is having a bad season doesnt mean that he is no good. he is fast on his feet and he can throw the ball he is also ( 250 pounds). the only reason they are having such a bad season its because their coach its terrible and they lack a good running game. + they have no really great WR...
just my opinion

every asshole is in title of and opinion and this is mine asshole opinion.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What has he done without Moss? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
You idiots. Sorry, didn't mean to go off THAT strongly to begin with.

The REAL REASON Culpepper isn't playing good this year is he has NO TIME. Not just a less time, but NO time. The line is a complete shambles and they can't pass block. Sure, it hurts not having Moss, but he literally gets the ball then runs for his life. I've watched all the Vikes games the past 5 years and Culpepper IS a good QB but he needs time like anyone else. SOME time would be nice.

It's absolutely ridiculous to say he stinks. He broke the single season completion percentage in the NCAA, and has completed over 60% of his passes in the NFL year in and year out. When Moss has been out of the lineup in previous years he was just as effective. The difference is the line, not Moss, not anything else.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
The guy might be big and tough, but he has hands of butter; he fumbles a lot. No thanks, I'll take Brady, Favre, Manning, McNabb, Palmer, Little Manning, etc etc over him anyday.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Culpepper is the most overrated.

Plummer is the most underrated.

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Culpepper isn't doing much of that idiotic hand over hand chicken dance he loves to do now is he. When they got rid of Moss I remember thinking it reminded me of when B. Bonds got hurt and the Giants were talking **** about being as good a team without him. The NFL is about playmakers and not making mistakes, any QB that fumbles alot is a huge liablity (Culpepper, D. Kreig in the old days). I love Favre's toughness but agree he's overrated more as a result of the medias love for him than his own faults, they make him out to be superman and when Holmgren left the man who harped on the little things that kept Favre in check a little went out the door. I don't agree that Favre has had no talent around him, besides for this year (he really is a one man show this year). Marcus Vick may end up being a better QB than Mike Vick but he's not nearly as athletic. If Mike is 4.3 in the 40 then Marcus is prob 4.7 and not as loose in the hips. Just my 2 cents.

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
Actually Marcus has been timed as only .04 of a second slower than Mike in the 40 and from what I've seen is just as elusive. The only difference basically between the two is Mike throws lefty and has the stronger arm, Marcus is a righty and has more accuracy. About Culpepper not having any time, that's garbage. He did this exact same thing 2 years ago when he lead the league in turnovers. He was lucky enough to have an off co. that likes to air it out and he just so happened had to have one of the fastest receivers in the league to run under it. Now that he doesnt have either he looks awful and I dont see that changing with a more time or not. And I dont think theyve changed o-lines every year for the past 3 years.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
hey, i didnt say the are not good.. they are just over rated!.
i agree about brady, he is a good pocket QB but he is still over rate, specially because he won 3 SBs. look at the pat offensive line they get no credit but they do 80 % of bradys job. you put some real presure on brady and he is done!
80% of Brady's job ? Quarterbacking is primarily a cerebral position, no one can do 80% of the thinking for you when they are worried about protecting your ass. If you put real pressure on any QB than they are done, Brady's not the only one who would be affected by a pass rush

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Culpepper is the most overrated.

Plummer is the most underrated.
i concur

Byron Leftwich hasn't impressed me particulary either

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Very Underrated: Jon Kitna

Maldito

Awards
about time

Culpepper won :dance: GB lost ... they needed that win, big time.
but good game anyways

Plummer is a great QB. but they lost to the Giants.i was pretty surpriced about that, i didnt see that coming at all...

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
brett favre

yeah minnesota won, im a green bay fan, favre needs to play with a coach that will make better play calls, mike sherman has let the packers down this year, like today, favre was completing over 80% of his passes, so on third and two sherman calls a draw play to a 3rd string running back instead of letting favre pass the ball and go for the win with a touch down, its not the first time he has done this, to quote mike sherman, "if i would have thought about it, i would have called a different play"...he needs to go, favre is a great QB that has been forced to take every game into his own hands by coaching and management staff... watch the throws he makes, no other QB could make them, you have a 35 year old QB forced to roll out and make plays because of a makeshift O-line and he still throws perfect passes, i cant think of any reciever in the NFL that wouldnt want a chance to play in a game with brett favre throwing the ball to them, other than maybe TO(because favre wouldn't take his **** like everyone else) brett favre is not over-rated by any means, to do what he has done every game(211 consecutive reg. season start, more counting post-season) puts him along side elway, marino, montana as far as greatness, I just hope the the Packers get a coach and GM that actually have winning as a priority before he gets too frustrated and hangs up his helmet. Michael Vick is over-rated. Brady and Manning are not. I haven't made up my mind about McNabb yet, hes good i just dont know how long he will last.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
yeah minnesota won, im a green bay fan, favre needs to play with a coach that will make better play calls, mike sherman has let the packers down this year, like today, favre was completing over 80% of his passes, so on third and two sherman calls a draw play to a 3rd string running back instead of letting favre pass the ball and go for the win with a touch down, its not the first time he has done this, to quote mike sherman, "if i would have thought about it, i would have called a different play"...he needs to go, favre is a great QB that has been forced to take every game into his own hands by coaching and management staff... watch the throws he makes, no other QB could make them, you have a 35 year old QB forced to roll out and make plays because of a makeshift O-line and he still throws perfect passes, i cant think of any reciever in the NFL that wouldnt want a chance to play in a game with brett favre throwing the ball to them, other than maybe TO(because favre wouldn't take his **** like everyone else) brett favre is not over-rated by any means, to do what he has done every game(211 consecutive reg. season start, more counting post-season) puts him along side elway, marino, montana as far as greatness, I just hope the the Packers get a coach and GM that actually have winning as a priority before he gets too frustrated and hangs up his helmet. Michael Vick is over-rated. Brady and Manning are not. I haven't made up my mind about McNabb yet, hes good i just dont know how long he will last.
I like you. :D

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
And Culpepper is done. He'll be lucky to play next year with the type of injury he sustained last weekend. It's not like the guy would have done much for the Vikings this year or next being overrated and all.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yep, its too bad... I doubt he'll be as mobile again - forcing him to win games with his arm (with no threat of run). He'll be about as good a his fill-in, Brad Johnson. Superbowl champion Brad Johnson

bigmontel

225lbs of chewed bubble gum
Awards
well i'm from Wisconsin so i'm a little bias but i would have to agree with everything you said, anyone that thinks Brett is overrated is an assclown, let's do a quick re-cap shall we...
3 time NFL MVP
8 probowls
3rd most winning QB in NFL history
been to 2 SB's and won one of them
and a couple of yardage and game start records

the only problem with Brett is his team and his coach, Sherman has drivin the Pack into the ground, the Off. line is a joke, and the Def. is in need of some serious work.

i really hope this is Brett's last year, i would have liked to see him hang it up last year when his record/team/coach didn't make him look so bad.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
It seems as if Green Bay has gone the opposite direction in the twilight of Farve's career that Denver did in Elway's. In Denver, they did everything they could to surround Elway with the pieces to win the SuperBowl. In Green Bay, it's as if they are just waiting for him to retire to rebuild.

bigmontel

225lbs of chewed bubble gum
Awards
yeah i would kindof agree with that, the difference is that when Elway was getting close to retirement he actually had a team that could get him to the SB.
as far as the people in green bay waiting for him to retire so they can rebuild.....well i'd say the people of WI see brett as more of an icon and want him to retire more for the fact that they think his team/coach are tarnishing his name.

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
michael vick is the most overrated. btw did he ever had any recievers?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Marc Bulger, Kerry Collins, Trent Green, and to an extent Favre & Culpepper. Favre and Culpepper aren't able to carry their team on their own like I thought they would. I picked the Packers to be in the NFC title game this year becauise I still thought Favre could carry that team like he did in the late 90's
I LOVE Favre. Behind Marino... he's my ultimate fav. QB but you had to be on glue if you think HE and he alone could have led this team to an NFC title game.

BTW, you can't really say Vick is a bust. His passing stats may not be pn the same level as Peyton Manning but the guy can win. He still can get better as a passer. Steve Young took a while to develop, John Elway didn't have great passing stats early in his career. He still has a chance to develop into a good passer IMO, he will have to because he won't last the way he's playing and I think he know it.
Same level as Payton? Dude, Vick isn't even on the same level as Vinny Testverde. lol

Seriously though, Vick what makes Vick a cancer is the fact he'll look to run at any chance he gets. He's not a QB. He's a running back who just happens to play in the QB position.

The knock on Mcnabb early on was that he'd pull the ball in and take to the run instead fo standing in the pocket and letting his receivers work to get open. Now, he stands in there and has become a better, more rounded and dare I say more threatening QB because you never know if he'll stand in there or pull the ball down and run it.

Same thing with Elway and Young. Yes, they developed into that but they did it in their 3-4 initial years. This iw Vicks... 4th in the league? I don't see him stopping to stand in there and wait for his receivers anytime soon. I think he has an arm to get the job done I just think he's all about the glory and plays selfish to the point where he won't change.

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
im so sick of all this running back who plays qb crap. guess what? he's 5-1 this year. stats dont mean anything without the w. and he wins. consistently. this is vick's 4th yr in the league, 3rd starting and the first time he's had the same offensive coordinator for back to back years. everyone is so quick to jump down his throat since his passing numbers arent the greatest, but until the league proves they can stop his running and make him stay in the pocket ALL the time then why change the formula that has worked VERY well? plays selfish LOL. i guess any play maker in the league is selfish then? anybody who improvises to keep moving the sticks is all about him? anybody who dives for the first instead of sliding to avoid a hit is all about numbers? give me a break. you cant argue with the wins. and thats where that arguement should end.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
it's not vick, it's their running back and their defense. he does little to actually help that team offensively unless he's running. he's a horrible passer and can't be relied upon. gimme a break... he's a rb that plays qb and he'll NEVER win the big game until he can pass.

im so sick of all this running back who plays qb crap. guess what? he's 5-1 this year. stats dont mean anything without the w. and he wins. consistently. this is vick's 4th yr in the league, 3rd starting and the first time he's had the same offensive coordinator for back to back years. everyone is so quick to jump down his throat since his passing numbers arent the greatest, but until the league proves they can stop his running and make him stay in the pocket ALL the time then why change the formula that has worked VERY well? plays selfish LOL. i guess any play maker in the league is selfish then? anybody who improvises to keep moving the sticks is all about him? anybody who dives for the first instead of sliding to avoid a hit is all about numbers? give me a break. you cant argue with the wins. and thats where that arguement should end.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Improvises? ****, are you on glue?

ANYONE with his speed could do what he does. Drop back.. don't see anyone open... run!

It's hard for a defense to defend that because you pretty much know what's going to happen but because you don't want to get beat for a long one, you need to play somewhat neutral.

If he's so good at the QB position as a passer, let's see the guy stand in the pocket play after play and get the job done. Oh wait, we saw that. Last year's NFC title game. - The Falcons were held to 202 total yards :D

By the way? Vick doesn't win. The Falcons win!

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
actually if you looked at their record without him the past three years, the falcons dont win without him. so thats up for debate. youre right, ANYONE with his speed could do what he does, but there isnt anybody with his speed. so he is a unique talent, that is until his little bro gets drafted. if his receivers got open play after play and his line gave him time play after play im sure vick would LOVE to stay in the pocket and avoid getting hit. ball control offenses and tough defenses win championships, not big passing numbers, ask peyton manning. so as long as dunn is on all cylinders and as long as vick keeps avoiding sacks and running for first downs sucking up clock and not turning the ball over there is absolutely NO reason why vick cant win the big one without throwing for 300. look at brady's passing stats from the playoffs last year when they got a running game with dillon. they werent impressive at all but it got the job done.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
ANYONE with his speed could do what he does. Drop back.. don't see anyone open... run!
The funny thing is even when guys are OPEN, he still can't get the ball to them.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
brady's passing stats from the playoffs last year when they got a running game with dillon. they werent impressive at all but it got the job done.
Brady's numbers are still a hell of a lot better than Vick's. Also if Brady has to throw the Ball he can do it....................Why is everyone still making excuses for Vick? He had a passer rating of 16% after that Monday night game and they were still kissing his ass saying it doesn't matter if he can't throw the ball. Hello? He is a friggin quarter back........ In the game Vick didn't get it done( as they like to say), his defense got it done. The guy sucks........ He doesn't even know when to slide. Sooner or later they are going to face a defense that is going to shut down the run and make Vick beat them with his arm and guess what's going to happen? They need to get Vicks accuracy up so he is averaging about 250 a game instead of 100 to 150. With that if you still have him rush for 60 to 100 yards a game coupled with Dunn rushing they would have a pretty good offense.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE Favre. Behind Marino... he's my ultimate fav. QB but you had to be on glue if you think HE and he alone could have led this team to an NFC title game.

Same level as Payton? Dude, Vick isn't even on the same level as Vinny Testverde. lol
Now that's harsh, he's better than Vinny:lol: he doesn't compare to Manning as a true QB but Vick has a high winning percentage, I'll take the 150 yards passing a game as long as the wins keep coming. Vick may not be the ideal West Coast QB but he's getting the job done.

Yes maybe I was on a little too much ephedrine when I thought Favre could lead the Pack to the NFC title game :rofl: I can't believe they're 1-6, I thought they'd end up with a 10-6 or 11-5 record. I hate him for shredding up the 49ers all those times but I love watching play, I love watching him roll out of the pocket, elude 2-3 pass rushers and zip a fireball accross the field like he did in the past, you just can't coach that

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
winning percentage, I'll take the 150 yards passing a game as long as the wins keep coming. Vick may not be the ideal West Coast QB but he's getting the job done.
It's not Vick that's getting the job done. In the jets game it was all defense or Vinny depending on how you look at it.

I can't believe they're 1-6, I thought they'd end up with a 10-6 or 11-5 record. I hate him for shredding up the 49ers all those times but I love watching play, I love watching him roll out of the pocket, elude 2-3 pass rushers and zip a fireball accross the field like he did in the past, you just can't coach that
Farve is a great QB I would hate to see him retire after this season.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
I wish Farve could have a couple ending seasons like Elway had. I really think all QBs envy Elway's last few seasons, they were the BEST way to go out.