Sports pet peeves

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I thought I'd get a thread started on sports related pet peeves here are some of mine

1. Guys who celebrate like they won the championship after one good play.
2. Multi Billionaire owners who cry about not being able to pay their athletes.
3. Athletes who ACT hurt when they mess up on a play, don't roll on the floor like you tore your ACL unless you did tear your ACL.
4. Athletes who blame refs, their coaches, their teammates, but never themselves.
5. Athletes who say something outrageous and say they were misquoted.
6. Managers who make more than 1 pitching change per inning, I don't have that much patience with baseball.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When baseball players don't hustle to first even if they know they're getting thrown out.
If you hustle it'll only make the infielder more nervous to throw faster=more of a chance of a screw up. or sometimes you watch tv and you say to yourself "hey, that fat catcher could've made it if he decided to run instead of just stroll down to first for an easy out."
they get paid millions of dollars and can't run 90 feet once in a while.
if you don't try...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Bitches like TO complaining about how much they make and holding out for more money even though the year previous they signed a contract. Hello, you signed a contract. Obviously you thought what they offered was good enough before. Anyways, he makes well above the league average for WR. Stop your whining pussy. I have no patience for douches like that.

I hate it when guys celebrate after a good play even though they're losing the game by 4 touchdowns. Shut the **** up buddy.

Also, guys who watch and stare after they hit a homerun. I hate bad sportsmanship altogether.

Guys who slide into first. Run through the bag, you'll get there faster and prevent injury that way (Mark Loretta anyone).

Those Soccer pussies who cry and lie on the ground for 10 minutes after someone slide tackles them or something. Get up you bitches and stop your damn acting. You're not fooling anyone.

People who think golfers are athletes. That's funny. That goes for race car drivers, bowlers and fishers too.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Basketball players that bitch about feeding their families on "only" $9 million a year (Sprewell).

Athletes that (literally) piss away millions of dollars because they can't stop smoking weed.

Any athlete that ever says " It isn't about the money...."

Rookies that hold out.

George Steinbrenner.

Kickers that celebrate.

Guys talking to the cameras on the sidelines of football games.

"Heartfelt" written apologies (Kenny Rogers, Jason Giambi)

Having to pay $20 a pop for an autograph for my kids to a guy thats wearing a watch that costs more than my house.

Deion Sanders being considered one of the greatest corners ever when he couldn't even tackle my mom.

Players that don't know when to retire.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Pedro Martinez's new hair style. Get a hair cut.
2. Jonny Damon's new hair style. Get a hair cut...and a shave.
3. Manny Ramirez's new hair style, but more so his pants. It's a uniform not a fashion statement.
4. Batters and pitchers stepping off/out after every single pitch. Play ball!
5. Hockey..."game on" already.

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys who celebrate like they won the championship after one good play.
I cant agree more this annoys the **** out of me, like they just saved the world.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I have a few more

1. Poker, spelling bee, fishing, and ice skating on ESPN. Just show some old NFL films shows and your ratings will be better, I promise.
2. Raider fans who say they're going to win the Super Bowl next year every year :rofl:
3. Al Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Jerry Jones, Michael Irvin, Cowboy fans, Rams fans.
4. Morons who run out on the field.
5. Floppers, i.e. Vlade Divac flying 10 feet in the air when someone touches him, especially Shaq.
6. Athletes who suck as analysts i.e. Marcus Allen.
7. Teams who take time outs to "ice the kicker", it's not like it'll ruin the kickers ability or make the weather drastically change so please save us some time and don't call a time-out.
8. Kickers who miss extra points, even I can make them, they're real easy.
9. People who think Michael Vick revolutionized the game. Come it's not like Steve Young and Randall Cunningham weren't doing that before him and much better I might add.
10. Running backs who rave about being a 1,000 yard rusher when they barely rush for over 1,000 yards. 1,100 yards averages out to 68 yards per game, not really impressive IMO.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Magic Johnson is the poster boy for athletes turned crappy analyst
Hey, at least Magic had a great career as a talk show host! :rofl:

Seriously, I hate athletes who think they can excel at any entertainment medium because they are successful athletes - think of all the awful rap albums released by atheletes, have any of them been even decent? Also, how about Dennis Rodman's acting career - or Brian Bosworth. Athletes should be happy for their fifteen minutes of fame while they are playing then retire into their mansions with their millions.

Also, I was watching TV and they were showing the chess championships the other day. I yelled at my wife for turning on the wrong channel, and she politely replied that this was ESPN. I would have watched a thirty year old hockey game instead, even women's basketball, and defintely women's volleyball. I guess ESPN is running out of repeats of SportsCenter to play.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I hate the fact that there is no salary cap in Baseball. But I love the fact that the Yankees suck ass despite having over 200 million in salaries.

I really don't like it when baseball teams (especially mine) go out and get rid of some of their prospects for a 38 year old veteran just to win a few extra games. Give the kids a chance to compete. The Giants have gotten rid of a lot of young talent just to pick up a few big names.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I hate fucking Ohio State.

I hate the Dolphins management.

Regarding the celebration front - being a Canes fan, I think that if you can back it up, go right ahead. Example 1A - the '91 Cotton Bowl. The Canes had over 200 yards in penalties and still crushed Texas by over 35 points. If you got the swagger, you better back it up though.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
ESPN making news instead of reporting it

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Tim Hardaway on NBA2Nite

buddy talk like he from the streets

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
there need to be more steroids in sports, not less.

safely though :type:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
How about Stuart Scott and his straight out the ghetto commentary. That **** gets old quick.
Booyah
Scott is worn out, true gang-stars think he's soft

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
How about Stuart Scott and his straight out the ghetto commentary. That **** gets old quick.
Speaking of commentary, is it just me or is John Madden getting dumber by the day, I remember he used to give some great insight about 10 years ago. Now he talks about hot dogs, turkey legs, fat linemen, old school football players, and other miscellaneous ****. He makes me feel smart though.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Speaking of commentary, is it just me or is John Madden getting dumber by the day, I remember he used to give some great insight about 10 years ago. Now he talks about hot dogs, turkey legs, fat linemen, old school football players, and other miscellaneous ****. He makes me feel smart though.
It's not just you. He used to be great, now I can't stand listening to him. He rambles. A lot. They should pay Al Micheals double because he's basically doing the game by himself in the booth. Then again, it could be worse, we could have Madden AND Dennis Miller in the booth. ( I want to add the MNF Dennis Miller Experiment to my pet peeves)

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
1) wormy little fucks that can quote every statistic from every sport even though the only sport they participated in was D&D or Everquest
2) umpires and refs. A necessary evil, yes. But dont act like 90% of them were picked last on the playground and never got over it. Especially umpires. Dont jerk me around just cause you cant play worth ****.
3) off season college baseball/softball players in D league, co-ed, slow pitch softball. Man they cry like bitches when they get called out on strikes. Who the hell works the count in slow pitch?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Another one that I forgot about earlier is guys act like playing a sport is the equivalent of going to war and refer to themselves asa soldier. Kevin Garnett and Kellen Winslow come to mind. Maybe these need to get in a real hummer in the middle east and shoot some insurgents/terrorists before they call themselves soldiers.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1) wormy little fucks that can quote every statistic from every sport even though the only sport they participated in was D&D or Everquest
That's John Clayton for you, the wonderful NFL insider who looks even too small to have been a kicker LOL.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Another one that I forgot about earlier is guys act like playing a sport is the equivalent of going to war and refer to themselves asa soldier. Kevin Garnett and Kellen Winslow come to mind. Maybe these need to get in a real hummer in the middle east and shoot some insurgents/terrorists before they call themselves soldiers.
There's a good one. Refering to a sport as "war". That's laughable.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
That's John Clayton for you, the wonderful NFL insider who looks even too small to have been a kicker LOL.
your just jealous.... of john clayton.... for some reason... i can't prove it.

just kidding

Skip Bayless fits that description too
america loves a girlie man! :type:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
2) umpires and refs. A necessary evil, yes. But dont act like 90% of them were picked last on the playground and never got over it. Especially umpires. Dont jerk me around just cause you cant play worth ****.
I agree somewhat (some sports)... although today's athletes are the most uncoachable and out of control people of the 21th century.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Also, guys who watch and stare after they hit a homerun. I hate bad sportsmanship altogether.
I agree, although pitchers (closers, gagne, for example) pump and scream their first on every 3rd strike

People who think golfers are athletes. That's funny. That goes for race car drivers, bowlers and fishers too.
Yup for sure. Poker players too.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
your just jealous.... of john clayton.... for some reason... i can't prove it.

just kidding

Skip Bayless fits that description too
america loves a girlie man! :type:
**** I wouldn't mind having his job, that's what I'm jealous of. He just asks people for info and reports to ESPN once a week and I'm sure as hell he doesn't know what a crack back block feels like LOL

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Skip Bayless is actually a pretty fit guy. He's more into endurance and health rather than strength and size. If you ever watch Cold Pizza in the mornings the guy is a pretty finicky eater.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Skip Bayless is actually a pretty fit guy. He's more into endurance and health rather than strength and size. If you ever watch Cold Pizza in the mornings the guy is a pretty finicky eater.
Yeah, he used to brag in the Mercury News about being in better shape than JJ Stokes LOL.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
baseball is a thinkin mans game, it's meant to be played at whatever pace the players feel like playing at. Some pitchers work really slow then change it up and work really fast to throw the hitters off. Many hitters in a clutch situation call time just b4 the wind-up starts to throw off the pitchers concentration. If you can't be patient with baseball then you dont understand the way it's played. More than one pitching change an inning? So your telling me if in an important game you put in a righty to face say sheffield and a-rod your telling me he shouldnt change to a lefty to pitch to matsui and giambi? Come on dude, not making that change would result you getting fucked about 30% of the time. You wanna take that chance???

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
damn it. in my face. :blink:
my friend worked on the set of cold pizza, has woody paige's cell phone - we'd call him from time to time over winter break.

Terrell Owens also had a cell phone that my friend got from his old agent's son (before Rosenhaus). The kid was drunk and giving out TO's number. Owens was actually a pretty nice guy on the phone (i heard) from of my friends talked to him for 5-10minutes. The one time I called and he picked up - I just said '****' and hung up on him. He'd have funny voicemail message. Actually very funny, not just because he was terrell owens - but funny by any standard.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
baseball is a thinkin mans game, it's meant to be played at whatever pace the players feel like playing at. Some pitchers work really slow then change it up and work really fast to throw the hitters off. Many hitters in a clutch situation call time just b4 the wind-up starts to throw off the pitchers concentration. If you can't be patient with baseball then you dont understand the way it's played. More than one pitching change an inning? So your telling me if in an important game you put in a righty to face say sheffield and a-rod your telling me he shouldnt change to a lefty to pitch to matsui and giambi? Come on dude, not making that change would result you getting fucked about 30% of the time. You wanna take that chance???
Pitching changes are annoying, but I agree that baseball is nearly all matchups. The stats really show this. Left handed hitters like Abreu really have a day to day advantage.
And lefty pitchers like Kenny Rogers (fastball in the mid 80s) probably wouldn't be in the league if they threw right handed.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Rookies holding out for more money. Dude, you're not a proven NFL player, why are you holding out? That's what incentives and bonuses are for. If you play well enough you just might get a larger contract next time around. FYI, did you know that NO first round draft choices have signed as of yet.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Miami fans that cant let it go

Made up baseball stats (holds, ops)

Pitch counts

Barry Bonds

MLS and WNBA

Retired players who lobby for induction votes

Trev Alberts

Espin

Changes in sports talk radio programming

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Baseball just needs a 'pitch' clock... like the basketball shot clock. And what's with the batter steppin' out of the box like 10x every at bat? That's not a part of being a 'thinking man's game'. It's boring.

What other sport has unlimited 'time-outs' too?? Goodness.

And there should be a limit to pitching changes. It is overdone. I'm suprised they don't have one guy go out there and throw a fastball and then say, "Hey, get Daniels up there for the next pitch, we need a curve on this one" and so forth. It's overdone.

And what's with the hitting a batter because the previous guy jacked one out on you? That's bullcrap and the pitcher should be thrown out and suspended. I'm not talking about hitting a guy because they hit one of yours for crowding the plate or what not, but retaliation for simply getting beat! That's seriously lame and happens a lot.

And don't get started talking about crying. Soccer does it the most... but just behind them is MLB... waahhh... I was safe, wahhhh that wasn't a strike... waahhh here comes the manager to cry and look a fool...

The thinking man's statement is TRUE... baseball has a lot of strategy and a lot going on in terms of thinking between batter and pitcher/catcher, moving the infield up or back, moving the outfield over... but none of that explains why it takes 20 minutes to get through a single 5 pitch at-bat... it's too long for no reason.

And MLS and WNBA? I thought that was the same thing?? LOL

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
^^^^^Coming from a guy with Bicycling in his avatar. If that isn't one of the most boring sports on TV. I'd rather watch paint dry.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Who says sports have to be good for TV? (And I think ESPN 2 has 'paint-drying' on right after Poker on Thursdays at 3am.)

At least a cyclist can walk around the block a couple of times without being winded. And... I have tremendous respect for what these guys can do. Think it's hard to hit a fastball? You're right.. it is. But it's also insanely hard to ride 162km in the mountains... day after day for nearly a month... I can't even fathom hardly how they do it.

Also, I believe Tom Selleck said it best in the movie Mr. Baseball: "We're not athletes! We're baseball players!"

Seriously though, I watch baseball... and I like it very much. I played for several years, in fact, (amatuer of course), but I hate so-called 'purist' who don't have a clue what baseball was like before all the prima-donna, 10 pitcher per game, etc. era.

(By the way, I will give baseball credit for movies. Baseball makes the best setting for sports movies... for the most part.)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Never said Cyclist weren't athletes. I agree that Cycling is very rough and takes a whole lot of endurance and intestinal fortitude. It's just that...well, it's very, very, boring to watch. Almost as bad as watching guys go around circles on a race car track. Wow, that's exciting. IMO, next to football, baseball is one of the most exciting sports to watch. It's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IMO, next to football, baseball is one of the most exciting sports to watch. It's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.
I agree with the football closely followed by baseball for excitement. However, lately football has been sickening me, with the return - no return - now return again of Ricky Williams. Is there anyone who believes he would be playing if he didn't owe the Dolphins $8 million? The other thing that is killing me is Drew Rosenhaus - seems like a lot of his players are holding out this season. Now, I may be especially pissed off at this because I live in Philly and one of the holdouts is TO, but, who is TO holding out for - himself or Rosenhaus? It stands to reason if TO gets a new deal Rosenhaus will strike it rich as well. It doesn't seem possible to get good advice from a man who has tons to gain and nothing to lose at your expense.

One last thing - can Larry Brown go away - like forever. I am so tired of hearing about Larry Brown and his traveling show. I wouldn't hire him to paint my house, I'd be afraid he would decide to paint the house across the street before he finished. After all, that's probably his dream job over there. Or is it over there?

OK, done ranting now. :frustrate

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but now Rosenhaus is a hero. Don't hate. :D

Rosenhaus saves boy at Disney pool

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) -- NFL player agent Drew Rosenhaus performed CPR to save a young boy pulled unconscious from a swimming pool at a Disney World resort hotel Tuesday.

"Rosenhaus brought him back," Torres said.

Rosenhaus, whose hardball negotiating tactics have made him perhaps the league's most notorious agent, said he was at the Grand Floridian to visit clients and ran to help when he heard screaming after the boy was pulled from the pool.

"I dropped my phone, which is pretty rare," joked Rosenhaus, who worked as a lifeguard as a youngster. "I was thrilled to help the boy. It was nice to be a good guy for once."

The Chicago boy was on a trip with his family. He was transported to a hospital but was expected to be fine, said Cpl. Carlos Torres of the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Hey Nate... I agree about watching baseball, even with what I consider to be annoyances, it is still a great game. Especially now that we are in the second half of the season, it gets a lot more interesting.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the football closely followed by baseball for excitement. However, lately football has been sickening me, with the return - no return - now return again of Ricky Williams. Is there anyone who believes he would be playing if he didn't owe the Dolphins $8 million? The other thing that is killing me is Drew Rosenhaus - seems like a lot of his players are holding out this season. ...
That's why, even though I love 'em both, I think NCAA football is more enjoyable overall than the NFL. Less bullcrap. Unless you count the BCS... which is just a joke now.

Ah well..

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Hey Nate... I agree about watching baseball, even with what I consider to be annoyances, it is still a great game. Especially now that we are in the second half of the season, it gets a lot more interesting.
Oh no, you make some really good points, no doubt about it.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Things that don't piss me off:
Another Ohio State* football player getting arrested.....

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Oh no, you make some really good points, no doubt about it.
where's rob nen?

oh and, do you know who wrote the original smoke on the water?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Rob Nen is done. They actually had a ceremony at SBC Park a few weeks back in honor of Nen for his 5 years of service with the Giants. He was really good. It was too bad he threw his arm out.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That's why, even though I love 'em both, I think NCAA football is more enjoyable overall than the NFL. Less bullcrap. Unless you count the BCS... which is just a joke now.

Ah well..
Yeah, but the NFL has a real post-season, I can't stand championships being decided by a freaking computer, that's another pet peeve I didn't mention

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
Baseball just needs a 'pitch' clock... like the basketball shot clock. And what's with the batter steppin' out of the box like 10x every at bat? That's not a part of being a 'thinking man's game'. It's boring.

What other sport has unlimited 'time-outs' too?? Goodness.

And there should be a limit to pitching changes. It is overdone. I'm suprised they don't have one guy go out there and throw a fastball and then say, "Hey, get Daniels up there for the next pitch, we need a curve on this one" and so forth. It's overdone.

And what's with the hitting a batter because the previous guy jacked one out on you? That's bullcrap and the pitcher should be thrown out and suspended. I'm not talking about hitting a guy because they hit one of yours for crowding the plate or what not, but retaliation for simply getting beat! That's seriously lame and happens a lot.

And don't get started talking about crying. Soccer does it the most... but just behind them is MLB... waahhh... I was safe, wahhhh that wasn't a strike... waahhh here comes the manager to cry and look a fool...

The thinking man's statement is TRUE... baseball has a lot of strategy and a lot going on in terms of thinking between batter and pitcher/catcher, moving the infield up or back, moving the outfield over... but none of that explains why it takes 20 minutes to get through a single 5 pitch at-bat... it's too long for no reason.

And MLS and WNBA? I thought that was the same thing?? LOL

If you try to show up a pitcher, doing things such as lets say..... Admiring your shot for an extended period of time or talking **** while you round the bases he's gonna get pissed off. Now hitters are given a distinct advantage nowadays in the box.... 20+ years ago if you tried to stand as close to the plate as hitters do now, you would be thrown at. The plate is the pitchers territory and your not supposed to let a hitter feel comfortable in there. Nowadays u try to brush em back and they call a warning? Thats gay.... And back to the throwing at people, back in the day if you were to hit a homer off nolan ryan you would NEVER ever look at him as u rounded the bases. Because the next time you came up if he thinks u disrespected him you would get 95+ mph right at the head. That's a man's pitcher, no one fucked with Nolan Ryan cuz he was just too badass.