Arturo Gatti vs Floyd Mayweather

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
So. Who's watching the fight on Saturday (HBO)? Mayweather is a terrible ****-talker so you know who I'm rooting for.. Gatti is also a Piasano like myself so that might have something to do with it. :p

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
It should be a pretty good fight, hopefully I will remember to watch it. They both can hammer.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
It should be a pretty good fight, hopefully I will remember to watch it. They both can hammer.
Don't forget Mayweather's hands are extremely brittle and everytime he tries to slug it out with someone he breaks his hands. Gatti's been hit with punches way harder than anything Mayweather can throw so if Mayweather lets Gatti turn it into a slugfest, he's fvcked. It'll be a good fight but I'd rather see one more Gatti - Ward fight. Gatti by KO in 7.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Gatti is real dangerous. He's one of the few fighters I like to watch. When he fights you know you're gonna see a good fight. Don't expect this guy to end the fight sitting on the stool like Mike Tyson.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Good to see "bro's" interested in this fight.

I'm a big Gatti fan and hater of Floyd Mayweather...heart tells me Gatti, head tells me Mayweather. I believe that whichever way it goes it is going to be an easy night for one of these two guys. Either Gatti is going to blow himaway with power and size or Mayweather is going to be able to deal with that.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Mayweather easily had the second round..

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Third round probably went to Mayweather too.. Not as drastic as round two...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Gatti hasn't really landed anything yet.. This one is almost over.. Round four goes to Mayweather.. Mayweather has enough time to relax during some of each round...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Mayweather is physically going to kill Gatti. They need to stop this fight...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
The fight is over.. Mayweather steamrolled over Gatti...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I think Gatti got one decent shot in the whole fight.. Mayweather is that damn good...

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
I think Gatti got one decent shot in the whole fight.. Mayweather is that damn good...
Damn. I guess i was wrong about Gatti and Mayweather. Who do you think is next for Mayweather? Zab Judah (I'd love to see this one)? Diego Corrales?

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Damn. I guess i was wrong about Gatti and Mayweather. Who do you think is next for Mayweather? Zab Judah (I'd love to see this one)? Diego Corrales?
Mayweather has already crushed Corrales; put him down 5 times (at 130 I think). Next might be Miguel Cotto since he can pull some hispanic PPV numbers or maybe Ricky Hatton and fight him across the water for some extra cash.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
he might be the best pure boxer out there right now. His defense is so good and he can hit at 140. He is my #2 PFP behind Hopkins. The kid has basically been raised by a boxing family, he has had gloves on since he came out of womb and not to mention he is blessed with incredible speed and ability. I don't see anyone at that weight right now that could beat him. Hatton? too slow. Tzysu too slow. Judah and Cotto both have better chances, but in big fights Mayweather always impresses.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Mayweather is the best lb. for lb. boxer out there today. You could make a case for Hopkins and that'd be fair. Zab Judah, if he shows up, is probably as good as it gets, but Mayweather is nearly in a class by himself. He's not the classiest guy with that big mouth, but he backs it up and can handle his business. He's a defensive wizard, is blazing fast, and has enough on his punches to knock most anybody to the canvas.

He's also SMART when he's in the ring, something many boxers are not. That's one thing that separates Hopkins as well. Hopkins is not the most talented boxer on the planet, but he's so intelligent and prepares so well that he knows every weakness in his opponent and he knows how he can exploit them.

There are fights Mayweather could struggle with, but Gatti wasn't one of them. You have to be a crafty, intelligent, analytical boxer to step into the ring with PBF. You can't be a swinger with a good jaw... he'll eat you up.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Anybody who thought Gatti had a chance doesn't know boxing. There are fights Mayweather could struggle with, but Gatti wasn't one of them.
I guess the guys over at Espn don't know boxing either. They had Gatti over Mayweather and had Mayweather ranked behind him and Hatton. It's not like Gatti is a bum, he earned his title and the respect that made this fight a big event so you can't say he had no chance against Mayweather. Anybody that says a champion has no chance in fight doesn't know boxing. As far as best pound for pound, you have to start to include Winky Wright in that discussion.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I'd openly say that those guys at ESPN don't know about boxing if they picked Gatti, period. I don't care who they are. Gatti is not a tactful fighter. I'm not saying I'm a boxing genius, but Gatti is and has been an overrated fighter for some time. He's a warrior and he'll go until he dies. Sure, that can beat many, many fighters, but Mayweather will not be beaten by that type of fighter. If you have glaring holes in your boxing style, Mayweather will feast and exploit every hold and nitpick until you go down. Sry, just my opinion, but I just can't see how anybody could have picked Gatti to win that fight.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Ooh, I forgot about Winky... he's a helluva boxer too. You got me there for sure.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
I'm not trying to take anything away from Floyd, he's definitely at the top of his game. I think him and Zab are alot alike. Grew up around the sport, fast as hell, nice power and all the talent in the world but they are just a little to cocky for their own good. Just like Judah was overconfident against Tzysu and got tagged, I could see the same happening to Mayweather. Do you think he'll unify the title or move up to welterweight and go after a big money fight (Judah, Mosley, De La Hoya etc.)?

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just like Judah was overconfident against Tzysu and got tagged, I could see the same happening to Mayweather.

Mayweather doesn't make the same mistakes that Zab makes. He defense is incredible and he takes his fights seriously. His only real issue had been his brittle hands.

Mayweather's faster and the better boxer. If Zab fights him, he will be making a mistake. Mayweather beats everyone from 147 down.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I see Zab being a potential issue. If I was Mayweather I'd stay away. WHEN, and I don't say that lightly, WHEN Judah prepares for a fight, he's a great, great fighter. When he's mentally prepared, he's not an easy fight and he probably punches harder than PrettyBoy I'm not sure I'd take that fight quite yet if I'm Mayweather.

That being said, it'd be a tremendous fight and one I'd pay to watch.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see Zab being a potential issue. If I was Mayweather I'd stay away. WHEN, and I don't say that lightly, WHEN Judah prepares for a fight, he's a great, great fighter. When he's mentally prepared, he's not an easy fight and he probably punches harder than PrettyBoy. I'm not sure I'd take that fight quite yet if I'm Mayweather.

That being said, it'd be a tremendous fight and one I'd pay to watch.

We totally disagree on this one bro. Jab has look very ordinary too many times. Floyd on the other hand, has been a pound for pound since almost day one.

Look at Zab again Cory Spinks. He lost the first fight and if Cory had fought smarter, Zab would've lost the last one as well.

He was made to look stupid while fighting Kosta Tszyu. I think Zab is a very good fighter, but definetly not in a class with Floyd.

Floyd has beaten some very good if not great fighters:

Julio Castillo
Diego Corrales
Angel Manfredy(Destoyed him in his prime)
Gennaro Hernandez (in only his 18th fight, and Hernandez was still considered a BAD MAN)

Other than cory Spinks, can you name a very good or great fighter that Judah has beaten?

Zab has done nothing that would make me believe he could beat a focused Mayweather.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Zab has looked ordinary, I'll give you that, but I'm not sure Mayweather has many other real fighters out there. Judah is fast and hard punching, and is somewhat of an enigma. True, he could come in and be a total waste of space, but I'm just concerned about what Prettyboy would do against a dominant southpaw. Zab also has a clue defensively and lately, has looked very focused.

Who would I take? No question Mayweather, but I'd look out for Judah a bit. Be sure Floyd is ready for a combo of power and speed in a left-handed package like Zab.

It does worry me that Zab has been inconsistent until recently. I'd pick Floyd in a decision or potential late round KO personally. Still, not going to be a Gatti-type fight for sure.

I'm looking forward to Hopkins/Taylor personally. I haven't seen Taylor fight much, so I don't know what to expect. Hopkins continues to impress me with his preparation and dedication inside and out of the ring. He'll be remembered whereas a few years I didn't know...

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are right about that, it wouldn't be anything like Gatti-Mayweather. Floyd would actually get hit and would have to use much more of his skill to beat a determined Judah.

Taylor has looked impressive, but I just do not think he has the experience to beat Bernard. I would've liked to see him in with some bigger names, closer to their prime, before putting him in with Nard. Even though Bernard has lost a 1/2 step, Taylor is younger and faster, I still have to go with Bernard to punish him. Only way I'm wrong is if nard had suddenly gotten old since his last fight.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CNorris MMA 4
Jayhawkk General Chat 23