NCAA Football - Any fans here?

utk1976

Awards
I just thought I would throw this thread out there to see if there's anyone else who loves college football. I'm a huge Tennessee fan - I bleed orange. Based on last year's finish, the number of returning starters, etc., there's a lot of enthusiasm around Knoxville this year.

So any SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac10 fans out there?

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Fan of ACC, Big 12 and SEC. Not a big fan of Big 10. I grew up a fan of UT, every since Payton was a freshman. Neyland Stadium, now THAT is a stadium.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Crimson Tide Fan here.. we are looking to have a better year than last year.. hopefully the new quarterback we have coming in will help out if Brody gets hurt again..

bigGUNS04

Awards
Im a Big 12 Fan!!! wooo I live in MO so...MU fan UT fan and OU fan ook okk im a fan of them all except KU

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm a fan of the real UT, that's the Univerity of Texas.
Hook'em Horns!

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crimson Tide Fan here.. we are looking to have a better year than last year.. hopefully the new quarterback we have coming in will help out if Brody gets hurt again..
Storied past, too bad they haven't done much recently.

utk1976

Awards
Sweet, a Tide fan. I'll let you in on a little secret. Every couple of weeks I go to al.com to read up on Bama football -Paul Feinbaum and some other columnists that I can't remember right now. Bama has always fielded gutsy football teams and the last couple of years have tough for you guys I'm sure. I've got nothing but respect for them - especially that defense - it's fierce.

Is Shula on a bit of a hot seat in light of the tough losses last year after such a good start?

Are Bama fans still blaming UT for their probation?

utk1976

Awards
I'm a fan of the real UT, that's the Univerity of Texas.
Hook'em Horns!
Dude, I love Texas football. I went to SMU in Dallas for a year and really liked it there.

I have a question though...why did Texas chose to take a bunch of dirty Tennessee uniforms and make that their color? :D C'mon bro, what's up with that burnt orange color? Straight rip off of Tennessee.

utk1976

Awards
Im a Big 12 Fan!!! wooo I live in MO so...MU fan UT fan and OU fan ook okk im a fan of them all except KU
Is MO in the North or the South? I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Not blaming UT for the probation..just one head coach that did have something to do with it.. And Mike is on the hot seat with some of the people but most everyone that is a fan understand what the problems have been... so we are hopeful..
Ryan, I am kinda confused by you comment.. yes we have had a few down year but probation has not help at all... but things are getting better...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Cal Bears right here. Hopefully they can get over USC this year.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not blaming UT for the probation..just one head coach that did have something to do with it.. And Mike is on the hot seat with some of the people but most everyone that is a fan understand what the problems have been... so we are hopeful..
Ryan, I am kinda confused by you comment.. yes we have had a few down year but probation has not help at all... but things are getting better...
Not a condescending comment at all Matt, sorry if it came off wrong. I'm a huge fan of college football, and have followed your team for years. It's too bad that the NCAA came down so hard on you guys.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, I love Texas football. I went to SMU in Dallas for a year and really liked it there.

I have a question though...why did Texas chose to take a bunch of dirty Tennessee uniforms and make that their color? :D C'mon bro, what's up with that burnt orange color? Straight rip off of Tennessee.
Come on man, I think We had those colors first.

Besides that's not what matters, it's the love of the game.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Go Gators!
Things are looking up in G-ville, although it may take a few years for Meyer to get the job done. The talent is there tho.

UT does have a good program, altho I feel that Schafer has more potential than Ainge...just my opinion.

Last edited:

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
all is cool Ryan.. I just didn't understand the comment was all.. kinda dense tonight..

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I just can't wait for the season to start. What does everyone suppose the top ten will look like?

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Hell yea man, I am an NCAA fan. My team is Virginia Tech, especially because I go there.

Our team is looking to be good, Marcus Vick is back, and super fast, apparently he ran a 4.25 40. We also have some good recievers, like Eddie Royal and for defense Jimmie Williams stayed too.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Hell yea man, I am an NCAA fan. My team is Virginia Tech, especially because I go there.

Our team is looking to be good, Marcus Vick is back, and super fast, apparently he ran a 4.25 40. We also have some good recievers, like Eddie Royal and for defense Jimmie Williams stayed too.
What's the deal with Marcus Vick, is he gonna still be a QB or play something else ?

utk1976

Awards
Go Gators!
Things are looking up in G-ville, although it may take a few years for Meyer to get the job done. The talent is there tho.

UT does have a good program, altho I feel that Schafer has more potential than Ainge...just my opinion.
Heck yeah, great to see a Gator fan in da house. I think that you guys are gonna rock with Urban behind the wheel... He won at Utah and that's a huge feat... I honestly believe that Florida will win at least 9 this year. I'm still a little sore over the whole Chris Leak thing - where he plays is his prerogative, but I didn't understand some of his comments re:UT. If you don't want to play at a school, then fine - no big deal. There's just no need to trash the school too.

Anyway, I can't wait to see S. Carolina v. Florida. Two great offensive minds. The over-under is gonna be like 70 pts.

utk1976

Awards
Come on man, I think We had those colors first.

Besides that's not what matters, it's the love of the game.
No doubt bro. Texas ALWAYS fields a great team. In the last couple of years its become "cool" to take a run at M. Brown 'cause he hasn't gotten over the OU hurdle and/or won a national championship. Talking heads (Trev Alberts, Mark May) say that he can recruit but he can't win the big one. I think that is completely unfair. The tables WILL turn in that rivalry - they always do. That's what makes it a rivalry.

Also, Texas' QB (can't remember his name) is gonna be incredible if he can learn the passing game.

bigGUNS04

Awards
Is MO in the North or the South? I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look.
MO is in the North, too bad they couldnt capitolize on the north div. this year cause the north was sh!tty. They had a good team, but pinkel is a bad coach. Hes a good recruiter, but bad coach. Brad Smith was a pre season heisman canidate, but pinkel wanted him to be a pocket passer. He has broke 90% of MU's records on offense. If Brad has another bad season where he doesnt throw for over 1500 and rush for 1500 then pinkel will get the can.

Oh yea and MU picked up one of the #1 recruits in the nation for QB, Watch out for Chase Daniels- He chose MU over UT! dual threat baby! Thanks dallas texas for molding such a good football player. He took and won state for 5A in Texas this last year.

Last edited:

size

Awards
  • Established
I really enjoy college football. I do not pull for any teams in particular as it varies from week to week for me. :)

If you want to see one of the best QBs in college football, look no further than Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs. He is unbelievable. Last year, he threw 41 tds to only 4 interceptions.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Also, Texas' QB (can't remember his name) is gonna be incredible if he can learn the passing game.
Is Vince Young still the QB or did he graduate? I'm a Michigan fan and I couldn't believe what that guy did to them in the bowl game last year. I'd never seen him play before but if that game was any indication of how good he is, I'd imagine he'll be a Heisman candidate this year. He should be able to do his thing this year with Benson gone.

lvtrojan

Awards
Cal Bears right here. Hopefully they can get over USC this year.
ummm..hopefully they don't. ;)

actually the only questions this year are:

1. who are we playing in the rose bowl?

2. how much will we be favored by?

:D

(actually i think tedford is the real deal, and that will be a great game again this year)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
ummm..hopefully they don't. ;)

actually the only questions this year are:

1. who are we playing in the rose bowl?

2. how much will we be favored by?

:D

(actually i think tedford is the real deal, and that will be a great game again this year)
Ah you lucky bastard. USC is just too unbelievable. Luckily, Tedford has produced great college QB's (Akili Smith, Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington, Aaron Rogers) so I hope losign Rogers won't be so damaging, and Marshawn Lynch is gonna tear it up.

lvtrojan

Awards
Ah you lucky bastard. USC is just too unbelievable. Luckily, Tedford has produced great college QB's (Akili Smith, Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington, Aaron Rogers) so I hope losign Rogers won't be so damaging, and Marshawn Lynch is gonna tear it up.

no doubt. and i see ayoob is supposed to be a stud too.

all i wanna know is wtf happened against t-tech. i know they were upset about being shafted, but geez that sucked. i remember watching that game with a buddy of mine and we were stunned, cause cal was better than that. :think:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
all i wanna know is wtf happened against t-tech. i know they were upset about being shafted, but geez that sucked. i remember watching that game with a buddy of mine and we were stunned, cause cal was better than that. :think:
I guess the defense took an early winter break for that one. I surely expected Tech to be tough but not to beat Cal 45-31.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is Vince Young still the QB or did he graduate? I'm a Michigan fan and I couldn't believe what that guy did to them in the bowl game last year. I'd never seen him play before but if that game was any indication of how good he is, I'd imagine he'll be a Heisman candidate this year. He should be able to do his thing this year with Benson gone.
He'll be a junior this season, and he does that in every game simply amazing. I can only imagine how good he could be with an arm.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No doubt bro. Texas ALWAYS fields a great team. In the last couple of years its become "cool" to take a run at M. Brown 'cause he hasn't gotten over the OU hurdle and/or won a national championship. Talking heads (Trev Alberts, Mark May) say that he can recruit but he can't win the big one. I think that is completely unfair. The tables WILL turn in that rivalry - they always do. That's what makes it a rivalry.

We still own OU for overall wins. It really doesn't bother me too bad, more than half of their team is from Texas.

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
What's the deal with Marcus Vick, is he gonna still be a QB or play something else ?
Yea he is still going to be quarter back, pretty much before he even returned had the position of starting qb, imo. His competition for the spot was not that great unless we had some awesome recruits(which I will say we did get a lot of the top recruits in VA, but no qb's that would be able to come in and be good enough). Sean Glennon the backup last year will probably stay at backup or may even take a backseat to Cory Holt, a guy that is not talked about as much but is really good. He is really athletic, and probably better than Glennon.

utk1976

Awards
Yea he is still going to be quarter back, pretty much before he even returned had the position of starting qb, imo. His competition for the spot was not that great unless we had some awesome recruits(which I will say we did get a lot of the top recruits in VA, but no qb's that would be able to come in and be good enough). Sean Glennon the backup last year will probably stay at backup or may even take a backseat to Cory Holt, a guy that is not talked about as much but is really good. He is really athletic, and probably better than Glennon.
Okay, I've got a VT question. What the heck is that thing on the side of Frank Beamer's face? I'm not cracking on him, I'm just curious. Was he badly burned or something?

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Okay, I've got a VT question. What the heck is that thing on the side of Frank Beamer's face? I'm not cracking on him, I'm just curious. Was he badly burned or something?
Looks like he got burnt real bad, just my guess.

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Looks like he got burnt real bad, just my guess.
I am not really sure either, but that would be my guess.

THe funny thing is, is when he appears in person it does not look as bad as it does on TV. I did not notice it when I saw him speak in front of the students for a pep rally thing but definitely saw it on tv, its weird.

utk1976

Awards
Someone will probably take a run at me for saying this, but here goes... USC is the new Miami. They play in a weak, underpowered conference with no real competition other than Cal (who they almost lost to). Also, their non-conference opponents are typically weak. V. Tech was the exception last year - and Tech came very close to winning that game.

If USC had to play in the Big 12, Big 10, the new ACC, or the SEC, they wouldn't enjoy the same success. In those conferences you play a quality team almost every week, and injuries are more prevalent. USC only plays about 4 "big games" a year - and the rest are just cupcakes.

That's my $.02.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Someone will probably take a run at me for saying this, but here goes... USC is the new Miami. They play in a weak, underpowered conference with no real competition other than Cal (who they almost lost to). Also, their non-conference opponents are typically weak. V. Tech was the exception last year - and Tech came very close to winning that game.

If USC had to play in the Big 12, Big 10, the new ACC, or the SEC, they wouldn't enjoy the same success. In those conferences you play a quality team almost every week, and injuries are more prevalent. USC only plays about 4 "big games" a year - and the rest are just cupcakes.

That's my $.02.
I agree about the conference thing but they're destroying people in bowl games. Maybe it would be a little different if they played in a conference like the Big 10 where teams spend all season pounding the snot out of each other and the competition is so fierce everyone can beat anyone on any given week.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

That's my $.02.
True, they're in a conference where only Cal and possibly Oregon or Washington can be good from time to time. They still SLAUGHTERED Oklahoma when it counted most. They're recruiting classes are almost too good to be true as well, they're finally doing what the other California schools couldn't do which is keep all the top California athletes in the state

utk1976

Awards
True, they're in a conference where only Cal and possibly Oregon or Washington can be good from time to time. They still SLAUGHTERED Oklahoma when it counted most. They're recruiting classes are almost too good to be true as well, they're finally doing what the other California schools couldn't do which is keep all the top California athletes in the state
I agree completely that they destroyed OU. Recruiting has been and will be the cornerstone of USC's success. I don't think P. Carroll is some sort of coaching genius - he and his staff just recruit like crazy. Cali is talent-rich. I know that the Vols mine SoCal as much as possible (perhaps to their detriment -----> Casey Clausen). In the bowl game USC was soooo much faster than OU, and that's something that you can't coach.

But let me ask you this...would you be willing to trade USC's schedule for an SEC schedule? (or ACC, Big 10, etc.) I have the Vols' schedule right in front of me... It starts out like this...

1. Alabama- Birmingham: Easy
2. Florida: ?
3. LSU: ?
4. Ole Miss ?
5. Georgia ?

Other than UAB, there's not an easy win in there. Now for USC:

1. Hawaii
2. Arkansas
3. Oregon
4. Az. State
5. AZ

See my point?

lvtrojan

Awards

That's my $.02.
I'm someone...

USC:

2002 - auburn, @ colorado, @ kansas st., ND
2003 - @ auburn, @ ND, BYU, Hawaii
2004 - @ VTech, @ BYU, colo st., ND

Last year Oklahoma played bowling green, houston, and oregon ALL at home. Auburn played Louisiana Monroe, citadel (WTF!), and louisiana tech ALL at home. No freaking way can you say that SC plays a weak OOC, compared to the other BCS teams.

All conferences go through up and down years. Last year the Pac 10 was down. It will improve: new coaches all over the place.

And dont give that crap about "if SC played in this conference or that conference" , Oklahoma, Iowa, and Michigan all had plenty of time to rest before getting their asses stomped.

utk1976

Awards
I'm someone...

USC:

Last year Oklahoma played bowling green, houston, and oregon ALL at home. Auburn played Louisiana Monroe, citadel (WTF!), and louisiana tech ALL at home. No freaking way can you say that SC plays a weak OOC, compared to the other BCS teams.

All conferences go through up and down years. Last year the Pac 10 was down. It will improve: new coaches all over the place.

And dont give that crap about "if SC played in this conference or that conference" , Oklahoma, Iowa, and Michigan all had plenty of time to rest before getting their asses stomped.
I'm not really sure that Hawaii and BYU are all that great, but okay. Also, I agree that conferences are up and down from year to year and that the P10 will get better. Plus it's tough to know how good an opponent will be when you finally play, since the games are scheduled a year or two in advance. In a roundabout way, you reveal a larger issue regarding non-conference games. Since strength of schedule was removed from the BCS calculation, there's no real motivation for teams to schedule big-time DI opponents as their non-con games. This is illustrated by your point that Auburn and OU also played weak non-con teams. Bro, if it were up to me a team would be penalized for scheduling LaTech or Citadel. Hell, why not just roll out the local high school team and play them.

Also, I think that there's too much of a penalty for losing on the road against good teams. Two years ago my Vols lost at Auburn after being a TD favorite. That was an Auburn team that Jesus and ten of his buddies couldn't beat that day.

I'm not sure I follow re: OU, Iowa, and Michigan having time to rest but still losing. My point was that USC had a luxury last year that most teams didn't in that they could build a 1st half lead and then let the scrubs play. Also, there was no need to come with full-on, do-or-die, balls-to-the-walls intensity every week. In contrast, the Big10 for example is a meat-grinder every single week with no let-up.

lvtrojan

Awards
I'm not really sure that Hawaii and BYU are all that great, but okay. Also, I agree that conferences are up and down from year to year and that the P10 will get better. Plus it's tough to know how good an opponent will be when you finally play, since the games are scheduled a year or two in advance. In a roundabout way, you reveal a larger issue regarding non-conference games. Since strength of schedule was removed from the BCS calculation, there's no real motivation for teams to schedule big-time DI opponents as their non-con games. This is illustrated by your point that Auburn and OU also played weak non-con teams. Bro, if it were up to me a team would be penalized for scheduling LaTech or Citadel. Hell, why not just roll out the local high school team and play them.

Also, I think that there's too much of a penalty for losing on the road against good teams. Two years ago my Vols lost at Auburn after being a TD favorite. That was an Auburn team that Jesus and ten of his buddies couldn't beat that day.

I'm not sure I follow re: OU, Iowa, and Michigan having time to rest but still losing. My point was that USC had a luxury last year that most teams didn't in that they could build a 1st half lead and then let the scrubs play. Also, there was no need to come with full-on, do-or-die, balls-to-the-walls intensity every week. In contrast, the Big10 for example is a meat-grinder every single week with no let-up.
We pretty much agree then.

I still think their is some motivation to schedule decent teams in that the AP and ESPN polls are major BCS factors, and you will earn points/votes for beating better teams.

The other point i was trying to make is that SC has beaten the best of the Big 10 and Big 12, when they should have been reasonably at full strength and not beaten up from conference play, thats all.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I'm someone...

USC:

Not saying that OU and Michigan would have beaten USC, especially since OU seemed really weak in normal games that werent big in their books. But if USC was in a conference with better competition, to where its a dogfight every game to get a winner, then things might be different at the end of the season.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
California has great talent, and as long as USC gets those players then they will dominate. I do believe though that Texas, and Florida are more "fertile" when it comes to talent. All of the Florida teams demonstrate this, and every team in the big 12 has mainly Texas athletes on their rosters.

The pac-10 has been weak, but it is one of the dominate conferences, just look at their past. Although I don't agree with the lack of a conference championship game, which would have been nice if Cal played USC again. Things may have been different.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
BTW, look for the PAC-10 to remain weak besides Cal and USC because they aren't gonna let the California kids go to Oregon, Washington, Washington St, Arizona St, or Oregon St anymore.

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
this probably should be in a different thread, but I for one would rather have a playoff system like DI-AA and others have rather than the bowl game championship crap.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
this probably should be in a different thread, but I for one would rather have a playoff system like DI-AA and others have rather than the bowl game championship crap.
Everyone would agree with you except the fat cats that run the NCAA. I'd say the top 8 teams play in a playoff, the next controversy would be how do we decide who advances to the play-offs

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Everyone would agree with you except the fat cats that run the NCAA. I'd say the top 8 teams play in a playoff, the next controversy would be how do we decide who advances to the play-offs
Every conference plays a championship game, then take those winners, and a couple at-large.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Every conference plays a championship game, then take those winners, and a couple at-large.
Yeah that's not bad because if you get conference champions than the whole rankings BS is not a factor. The NCAA's response to that would be "That tournament takes too long and the kids would miss too many classes" :icon_lol:

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
Also, they need to toss out preseason rankings, or at least not have them count for anything. They shouldnt implement rankings until say half way through conference play. Then teams who end up with 4 losses and still end up ranked 15th or under because they started out ranked really high wont get that. Helps rank everyteam by their current season, and not previous.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Not going to bother reading any of this. USC will threepeat period dot.