Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ego got the best of him, tried to teach a young guy not to challenge him and ended up killing the young guy.

arrogance!!!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what was up with that kid. Something had to have happened between him and Stewart previously. As soon as he got out of his kart, he was pointing and walking towards Tony's car. Sad, but what do you expect to happen when you're walking on a track with cars flaying by you.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what was up with that kid. Something had to have happened between him and Stewart previously. As soon as he got out of his kart, he was pointing and walking towards Tony's car. Sad, but what do you expect to happen when you're walking on a track with cars flaying by you.
the something that happened was tony caused him to wreck, that is why he was pointing at tony's car.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the something that happened was tony caused him to wreck, that is why he was pointing at tony's car.
I know that, but logically, I would assume it had to be deeper than that. I'm not into racing so maybe something like spinning another racer out, accident or not, will set them off. But that seemed a little overboard for their not to have been a prior incident.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I know that, but logically, I would assume it had to be deeper than that. I'm not into racing so maybe something like spinning another racer out, accident or not, will set them off. But that seemed a little overboard for their not to have been a prior incident.
actually it is very common, stewart himself has done it more than once. i think what set stewart off was his status as a star, and this young upstart having the gumption to do that to him....it's like hey 'don't you know who i am'....plus his reputation for being a hothead, i think he thought he had to show this kid...just my opinion, but stewart is talked about a lot here in indiana and most of us know of his reputation.

mudrunner

mudrunner

Awards
Man, it was a bad deal for sure. I go to dirt races fairly regularly, and even pitted for a few buddies in the past. (I've even been to Eldora a few times which is awesome.) You would be surprised how many times someone gets taken out and jumps out of their car to go after another guy. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. How much of it was Tony's fault I don't know. The bottom line is that if the kids would've stayed in or near his car he would be alive & well today. I didn't see a very good video of the accident, but from what I could tell the car in front of Tony looked like it swerved to miss the kid & Tony may not have seen him till the last minute.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Man, it was a bad deal for sure. I go to dirt races fairly regularly, and even pitted for a few buddies in the past. (I've even been to Eldora a few times which is awesome.) You would be surprised how many times someone gets taken out and jumps out of their car to go after another guy. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. How much of it was Tony's fault I don't know. The bottom line is that if the kids would've stayed in or near his car he would be alive & well today. I didn't see a very good video of the accident, but from what I could tell the car in front of Tony looked like it swerved to miss the kid & Tony may not have seen him till the last minute.
i couldn't see it in the video, but observers have said that tony revved his engine when passing that kid....anyone as experienced as tony should know that this will cause fishtail effect.

i truely don't think tony was trying to hit him, but i do think he was trying to scare him and miscalculated.

mudrunner

mudrunner

Awards
Man, it's so hard to tell who's engine that was in the video. Dirt guys are constantly revving their motor and sawing the wheel back and forth under caution to keep their tires warm and dirt from building up. Naturally they don't expect a person to be running around on the track. I thought it actually might have been the car in front of Tony that revved after passing the kid, but without being there I can't say. I am not defending Tony, but like you I don't think he would run the kid over on purpose. Also sprint cars are direct drive, so if they go too slow or hit the brakes too hard the engine dies and it makes their caution speed actually pretty fast.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Man, it's so hard to tell who's engine that was in the video. Dirt guys are constantly revving their motor and sawing the wheel back and forth under caution to keep their tires warm and dirt from building up. Naturally they don't expect a person to be running around on the track. I thought it actually might have been the car in front of Tony that revved after passing the kid, but without being there I can't say. I am not defending Tony, but like you I don't think he would run the kid over on purpose. Also sprint cars are direct drive, so if they go too slow or hit the brakes too hard the engine dies and it makes their caution speed actually pretty fast.
good insight on how the dirt cars react....i agree, the video is very inconclusive.

mudrunner

mudrunner

Awards
These cars do not handle like a street car does. They are actually built to steer with the gas pedal more than the steering wheel, and don't handle well under caution. If he did goose the gas it may have been a last ditch effort to try and miss him. Your vision is actually pretty limited also. Since they don't have a clutch their caution speed is fairly quick to keep from stalling. There is a lot going on inside one of these cars. It looked like the car in front of Stewart was within a foot or two of running him over also, but managed to turn down at the last moment. I wish Tony would make a statement of what his take on the accident was.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
These cars do not handle like a street car does. They are actually built to steer with the gas pedal more than the steering wheel, and don't handle well under caution. If he did goose the gas it may have been a last ditch effort to try and miss him. Your vision is actually pretty limited also. Since they don't have a clutch their caution speed is fairly quick to keep from stalling. There is a lot going on inside one of these cars. It looked like the car in front of Stewart was within a foot or two of running him over also, but managed to turn down at the last moment. I wish Tony would make a statement of what his take on the accident was.
i think tony the man would have already made a statement....but in reality i bet there a lot of people including sponsors and nascar that are keeping him quiet, imo.