Best Athlete ever

Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

1. You guys are judging an athlete by his/her ability to play more than one sport.

But, let's not forget, that a sport is a SKILL and being a great athlete does not mean you are good at more than on sport.

Athleticism is based upon the respective athletes speed/agility/strength/endurance/etc. not his ability to master more than one set of sport specific skills.

2. Running is not an athletic ability, IMO. There are many who could be track stars who run times close to Olympic guys but hate running so they play football/basketball. I had a buddy in college who could regularly run 4:30 miles, never trained long distance just played basketball. I think it's safe to say, if properly trained could contend for an Olympic spot, no? He hated running

Just curious, guys who have commented in this thread.....have any of you actively participated in athletics against or with athletes with professional ability, close to or after their time of turning professional?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    You guys are judging an athlete by his/her ability to play more than one sport.

But, let's not forget, that a sport is a SKILL and being a great athlete does not mean you are good at more than on sport.

Athleticism is based upon the respective athletes speed/agility/strength/endurance/etc. not his ability to master more than one set of sport specific skills.
    You raise a great point, went to school with an D3 all-American DB who threw like a girl....not athletic but clearly mastered a skill set
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

4. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Running is not an athletic ability, IMO. There are many who could be track stars who run times close to Olympic guys but hate running so they play football/basketball. I had a buddy in college who could regularly run 4:30 miles, never trained long distance just played basketball. I think it's safe to say, if properly trained could contend for an Olympic spot, no? He hated running

Just curious, guys who have commented in this thread.....have any of you actively participated in athletics against or with athletes with professional ability, close to or after their time of turning professional?
    I went to high school with 2 guys who were drafted by MLB teams and the brother of a former NBA player.
    Life's a garden, dig it

5. One of my baseball teammates in High school made it as far as Triple A. He got invited to spring training with the major league team and has a great story about owning A-rod for a game. Never made it to the show though, I played against quite a few guys in college that went on to the minors as well. Pretty different playing against high caliber athletes than it was playing in high school, alot more competitive (obviously) but a great character builder!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Quite a few. My area produces a lot of professional hockey players. I went to a private high school (all dudes) that's well-known for athletics as well. Students from my time there were drafted in NHL, NFL, MLB, and went to the Olympics (gold/silver medal swimmer).
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

7. Two words

Ryan Leaf!
    Life's a garden, dig it

8. Come on guys you know that's funny!
    Life's a garden, dig it

9. Lisa Sparks

나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!

10. David Goggins is pretty impressive athlete. Maybe not the best but definitely worth a mention.
    •   

11. Pele
    Life's a garden, dig it

12. big fan of deion as well

13. Ricky bobby

14. Quote Originally Posted by jack_black View Post
    Ricky bobby
    This ^^
    Life's a garden, dig it

15. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    As the ESPN 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson premieres tonight (12/8) at 9pm EST. who do you guys think is/ was the best athlete? It's a bit hard to say bc there are some old timers we didn't get to see (other than maybe AMZ (grey bush) or BigT ) but always enjoy debating this bc it's hard to pin point.

Here's my top 5, no particular order
    Jim Thorpe
    Jackie Robinson
    Dave Winfield
    Michael Jordan
    Bo Jackson
    *deion sanders gets an honorable mention
    Bo by far..

16. Up until the hip injury, hands down Bo J.

17. Quote Originally Posted by islandiron View Post
    Up until the hip injury, hands down Bo J.
    Bo was a beast!
    Life's a garden, dig it

Similar Forum Threads

1. I got the best compliment ever today!!
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 12:50 AM
  2. best athlete so far this century?
    By davisville64 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 12:04 AM
  4. One of the best movies ever.....
    By windwords7 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25