Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Chances TAMU gets to the SEC. Probably close to 62% Pac-10/SEC 38%
    Since there's no way OU's gonna break from daddy, I'm hoping either:

a. The SEC remains as-is.

b. TAMU grows a pair, and Slive lands a quality ACC team (G-Tech, V-Tech, FSU, Miami).
    RTR.

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rubberring View Post
    Since there's no way OU's gonna break from daddy, I'm hoping either:

a. The SEC remains as-is.

b. TAMU grows a pair, and Slive lands a quality ACC team (G-Tech, V-Tech, FSU, Miami).
    In scenario B, likelihood goes

1.VT
    2.FSU
    3.GT
    4.Miami

That doucher that runs GT is going to forever regret spurning the SEC if this all happens.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I just read this and I did chuckle! That evil, evil Big Ten scheming and lying to everyone to ensure they have the power when it's all said and done. If that article is even marginally true the Big Ten is being run by a guy who is so completely superior intellectually to any other conference commissioner that I'm going to start bragging about it endlessly. haha we duped all those southern rubes with our superior guile and cunning.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I have bad news for you Bucknuts.

Multiple sources are saying the SEC faction has the regent votes to get TAMU into the SEC next week. The biggest reason is TAMU donors/alumni/boosters/etc have been adamant and calling into the 12 man foundation and Bill Byrne to let them know just how they feel. OU took Texas' **** because they need Texas but TAMU doesn't. This will change the dynamic in Texas forever. The legislature cannot stop this once it happens I think. With TAMU going to the SEC, there needs to be another team added. Now VT seems to be number one. Ive even heard WVU mentioned if VT doesnt want in. Reason the other teams arent being looked at is the sentiment that if they are going to divide up the pie, they want the team coming in to help give a bigger slice. All those teams are in places where the SEC presense is heavy and therefore are not being looked at but who knows. Someone has to match TAMU's entrance. If TAMU follows through, I will be there in 2011.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.54%

So is this realignment happening for the 2011 season? That seems like it would be a scheduling nightmare if they did it this year.
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I have bad news for you Bucknuts.

Multiple sources are saying the SEC faction has the regent votes to get TAMU into the SEC next week. The biggest reason is TAMU donors/alumni/boosters/etc have been adamant and calling into the 12 man foundation and Bill Byrne to let them know just how they feel. OU took Texas' **** because they need Texas but TAMU doesn't. This will change the dynamic in Texas forever. The legislature cannot stop this once it happens I think. With TAMU going to the SEC, there needs to be another team added. Now VT seems to be number one. Ive even heard WVU mentioned if VT doesnt want in. Reason the other teams arent being looked at is the sentiment that if they are going to divide up the pie, they want the team coming in to help give a bigger slice. All those teams are in places where the SEC presense is heavy and therefore are not being looked at but who knows. Someone has to match TAMU's entrance. If TAMU follows through, I will be there in 2011.
    I hope TAMU does do their own thing and joins the SEC and Va Tech would be a good addition as well. I've told you before I love the traditions at TAMU that's the stuff that makes college football awesome. I like the addition of Nebraska to the Big Ten a lot even though the program has been down they have a ton of tradition and huge following and fit the Big Ten better than the Pac Ten, I think Notre Dame should have long ago joined the Big Ten and I still hope they will. I'm not sure all of this expansion is good for college football or not but it's reality now so I suppose that's irrelevant.
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by texaswolf View Post
    So is this realignment happening for the 2011 season? That seems like it would be a scheduling nightmare if they did it this year.
    Yes, well at least I know Nebraska will start playing Big Ten sports in fall of 2011. I'm not sure about the rest of the expansion.
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Pac 10 commish is visiting TAMU along with a couple other schools today to make a last ditch effort to bring them in.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4%

Looks like i'm going to hate college football for a few years. well, at least despise the ppl who made these decisions. I'm hatin' right now...
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Youre a sooner. How you dont already have a strong sense of self loathing is beyond me. Texas apparently is listening to the Big 12 commish's offer to keep all the guys together but...cmon. I think its too little too late.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4%

Youre a sooner. How you dont already have a strong sense of self loathing is beyond me. Texas apparently is listening to the Big 12 commish's offer to keep all the guys together but...cmon. I think its too little too late.
    Yeah i'm already ashamed, and have been since they lost to the gators in '08. But, this is just going to make everything worse. The SEC will really look at us as limpwristed wannabes. Sure we'll produce some great NFL players, but i don't see us playing as a team and winning a national title anywhere in the near future. We need to let Stoops go....
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by funkd0c View Post
    Yeah i'm already ashamed, and have been since they lost to the gators in '08. But, this is just going to make everything worse. The SEC will really look at us as limpwristed wannabes. Sure we'll produce some great NFL players, but i don't see us playing as a team and winning a national title anywhere in the near future. We need to let Stoops go....
    I would have been at WVU. Or maybe Boise St. Or maybe USC. Or LSU. Everyone already looks at you that way because of your bowl games.

Anyways, the reason you wont is because youve basically openly accepted your place as UT's little brother in arms. Your AD said it himself, "We will go wherever Texas goes." Not, "We will do what we think is best for us."
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4%

I would have been at WVU. Or maybe Boise St. Or maybe USC. Or LSU. Everyone already looks at you that way because of your bowl games.

Anyways, the reason you wont is because youve basically openly accepted your place as UT's little brother in arms. Your AD said it himself, "We will go wherever Texas goes." Not, "We will do what we think is best for us."
    Most of us Sooners were raised to hate UT to the death, so why would we be wanting to follow them around like their buddy when we should say "screw you" to Texas and do whatever the phuk we want to!

And, in defense of the OU player on the '08 squad, we didn't suck against Florida we actually played fairly well and made a game of it. It's just that our receivers couldn't catch/hold on to the ball because Sam was really throwing it pretty hard. But yeah i know the rest of the nation views us that way. It would have toughened us up if we went to the SEC, but now we will blow ass for the next decade with high scoring big play shenanigans no real fundamentals.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Most of us Sooners were raised to hate UT to the death, so why would we be wanting to follow them around like their buddy when we should say "screw you" to Texas and do whatever the phuk we want to!

And, in defense of the OU player on the '08 squad, we didn't suck against Florida we actually played fairly well and made a game of it. It's just that our receivers couldn't catch/hold on to the ball because Sam was really throwing it pretty hard. But yeah i know the rest of the nation views us that way. It would have toughened us up if we went to the SEC, but now we will blow ass for the next decade with high scoring big play shenanigans no real fundamentals.
    Likewise, but the fanbase doesnt change the administration. See Ole Miss. Ole Misses administration is more liberal than rubbering here, but cmon, this is the place that rioted when blacks were allowed on campus.

And the only way to beat divinity is if you are Satan. You went against Tim Tebow.
  15. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I got this off rivals. A&M is such a good fit for the SEC. Cannot wait.

Originally Posted by Open Hate Mail from the Texas Aggies to the SEC
    Dear SEC,

I don't wanna hear about how glad you are to have The Aggies in your conference. I'm sick of seeing your guest names on my site. I Hate you. I don't need your historical citations of conference brotherhood. I don't care that we let you have a couple of our coaches. And I don't want you posting SEC SEC SEC! on my facebook wall.

You think I'm starting this relationship off on the wrong foot?? False. I'm starting it off on the right foot. With more unimaginable hate than your feeble brain can calculate.

THIS is what I know to be TRUE, quantifiable, empirical, irrevocable FACT: NO ONE LOVES THE TEXAS AGGIES. In the history of the world, no man has ever loved the Aggies that loves another school. "No man can serve two masters." -The Bible.

And we've worked for decades to position ourselves like that and maintain that position.

You don't respect me or my brothers. You see me as an opportunity, not a challenge. You don't see majestic maroon, you see greed green. You think because you brought over brownies as a house warming gift, that you can bang my wife? And now you think I'm just gonna let you in MY F*CKING state and bang my recruits too?? Well, F*ck you.

I don't want to callabo hate for the sips with you, bc you don't hate the sips like I do. I buried the greatest Aggie I've ever known this year on a t.u. pennant, because the guy hated the sips so fiercely. Blind hatred, gentlemen. A man who well into his 80s couldn't look a horn in the eye because he knew they were evil and untrustworthy. Hell, you probably own something in your house that is some shade of orange? Ha! No, no, you don't hate sips like I do.

Some Razorback **** wrinkle had the audacity to proclaim yesterday that after the hate on the field, he likes to drink and eat with the other SEC teams and party. Well, I don't want an invite. I'm not going to Baton Rouge to have a beignet and wax nostalgic about the time they ****ed with our bank roll. I'm not gonna draw some blurred parallel between Auburn and myself, because we're both products of a land grant Agriculture and Mechanical Colleges. They're not like me. They just work for me.

I'm not going to Gainesville to take a picture with Tim Tebow. And I'm not gonna spell words like "Tibeaux", because that **** doesn't make phonetical sense to me. I'm a Texas man, gaddammit. With tha sausage, and the fried eggs, and the T-bone steaks.

We, The Aggies are gonna grace whatever Conference WE decide will benefit US the most. We're 1 MILLION ****strong, rabid, bloodthirsty fans. With loaded wallets and vacation days abundant.

If the Aggies are playin on the moon, you bet your sweet ass, we're comin too. Even if the moon signed the #1 class in the nation and we're 100 pt. dogs. We're buyin the officially licensed bowl shirts, before the game, and Carter Beauford is gonna lead Yell Practice from the Aitken Basin.

I hate that you conned us into Fran. I hate that you got Championships out of Coach Bryant. I hate Schula Steak Houses. I hate croakies, I hate boat shoes, and I hate North Face. I'm gonna make a mess in all your bars, flex my ripped Aggie guns, and feed your women from the flow of my loins.

So you can cool it will the wolf in sheep's clothing act. You and everyone of your patronizing SEC pals.

We're not coming to your league to drink beer with you. We're coming to your league to kick your asses and then steal your beer and then pour it out and drink Lone Star.

I assure you, that letter was written from the depths of my bloody, redass Aggie heart.

I'm sick as **** of the Welcome to the SEC vibe. I don't want your ****ing sympathy. I don't want your beer or your a shot of your SoCo. I only want your hate. Tell me about how The Texas Aggies are never gonna see a win column again. And I'll tell you how I just sexed your daughter. Tell me about how gay the Corps of Cadets is and I'll show you men that stand guard and protect and serve the United States of America. Tell me about how how my football team sucks and I'll ask you how your basketball teams doing?

I've been waiting my whole gotdamn Aggie life to find someone that loves their school as much I do. And he sure as **** ain't in the Big 12. I hate you all. I don't think your lives are worth living. And I'm gonna give your women ALL my diseases because I think that **** is funny.

And hell yes, I'm gonna "SEC" chant. I'm hoarse as **** right now because I "S-E-C"d my heart out at the bar last night. I want every single ******* within earshot to know how much pure, psychotic disdain I have for them.

Show me pictures of your stadiums so I can know where we're gonna bury your players.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%

Not... so... fast. Looks like Beebe might've pulled one out of his a$s.
    http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038
    RTR.
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Joe Schad is signing another tune.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%

Pretty ironic how it might be A&M who ends up determining how this whole thing shakes out. If they are dead set on joining the SEC, Texas will have no choice but to bail on Beebe's promise of 14-17 million per year and take their chances with the Pac-16. Either way, they'll end up getting their Longhorn Network... but their older fanbase may never forgive them.
    RTR.
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Pretty ironic how it might be A&M who ends up determining how this whole thing shakes out. If they are dead set on joining the SEC, Texas will have no choice but to bail on Beebe's promise of 14-17 million per year and take their chances with the Pac-16. Either way, they'll end up getting their Longhorn Network... but their older fanbase may never forgive them.
    The older fanbase means nothing. Tradition and history means nothing to UT fans. Seriously, reading their forums is mind numbing pain. They are so arrogant and ****y. Like, beyond what you could imagine. I was reading a thread about how this "is a battle for TAMU's soul." The sentiments were (paraphrased),

"A&M apparently is going to stop being a good public university because of the teams they play in athletics. All the traditions they have there are stupid and only make people stupid. Its so sad people have to go there to get a good education and are "forced" to be stupid rednecks. If only they were progressive like us and realized that they should go to the Pac-10 to save their souls and become an academic institution instead of knuckle draggers like the old days. Everyone knows the sporting conferences you compete in have everything to do with your academics. There is hope for them though because some Aggies dont care as much about the history of the school and traditions there."

I personally want to see UT fall. They do not deserve the success they have.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.54%

That right there is why I have never liked UT graduates. They think they are better than the rest of Texas when they are just liberal douchebags for the most part. They belong in the PAC-10.

A lot of the people from the Dallas/Fort Worth area are the same as well in my experience. Maybe that is where UT grads move after college.
  21. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by texaswolf View Post
    That right there is why I have never liked UT graduates. They think they are better than the rest of Texas when they are just liberal douchebags for the most part. They belong in the PAC-10.

A lot of the people from the Dallas/Fort Worth area are the same as well in my experience. Maybe that is where UT grads move after college.
    I....agree wholeheartedly and think these statements border on certain fact. I agree with you...

IMHO, this is A&M being like, **** you, we dont need you to UT. Only took 100 years...results could be scary. LSU-A&M will be a bad mother ****ing rivalry.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%

They are so arrogant and ****y. Like, beyond what you could imagine.
    No... no, I can imagine it. That pretty much sums up what I experienced in Pasadena.

I personally want to see UT fall. They do not deserve the success they have.
    These aren't taken:

TexasA&MTitan
    TAMU_Titan
    F@ggyAggie
    RTR.
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

No... no, I can imagine it. That pretty much sums up what I experienced in Pasadena.

These aren't taken:

TexasA&MTitan
    TAMU_Titan
    F@ggyAggie
    Youre a Bama fan. Dont get too high on that horse there.

And my name is a reference to my state.
  24. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

These aren't taken:

TexasA&MTitan
    TAMU_Titan
    F@ggyAggie
    Youre a Bama fan. Dont get too high on that horse there.

And my name is a reference to my state.
    c'mon TT you have to admit you're a little tempted to change to F@aggyaggie.
  25. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    c'mon TT you have to admit you're a little tempted to change to F@aggyaggie.
    About as tempted as you are to change your name to SUCKNUTS. Ok, bad example. Im not tempted at all.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.54%

Listening to the radio today on the drive home it sounds like they might try to work out the Big 12. ESPN is supposedly offering them a nice TV contract. I really do hope A&M tells them to **** off though and goes their own way.

So now the future of the Big 12 hinges on what the Aggies decide to do.

At least we haven't had to hear much about the Brett Favre BS yet. This is a nice substitute for the summer lull in football.
  27. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Texas is staying. They scurred. Not a surprise. All eyes look to A&M now. Their regents will meet this week. Im hearing Texas' move may have been driven by an ever swaying OU. A&M and OU were tempted to leave them behind. Still might.
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

About as tempted as you are to change your name to SUCKNUTS. Ok, bad example. Im not tempted at all.
    I've been called SUCKNUTS on here so many times I might as well change it to that.
    So what I'm not clear on is whether or not the commits by Nebraska(Big Ten) and Colorado(Pac Ten) are binding or will they remain in the Big 12.
  29. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    I've been called SUCKNUTS on here so many times I might as well change it to that.
    So what I'm not clear on is whether or not the commits by Nebraska(Big Ten) and Colorado(Pac Ten) are binding or will they remain in the Big 12.
    They are gone. Thats done.

But Texas showed their true colors and ****ed everyone in the ass with this one. They are scared.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%

All eyes look to A&M now.
    “Texas A&M is a proud member of the Big 12 Conference and will continue to be affiliated with the conference in the future,” school president R. Bowen Loftin said in a statement.

Translation: "Daddy got us a raise in allowance, so we're staying."
    RTR.
  31. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

“Texas A&M is a proud member of the Big 12 Conference and will continue to be affiliated with the conference in the future,” school president R. Bowen Loftin said in a statement.

Translation: "Daddy got us a raise in allowance, so we're staying."
    TAMUs and Loftin's twitter pages have crashed from all the posts.

Loftins FB page is...brutal.

A&M forums are exploding/melting down. People are emailing the 12th Man Foundation (Alumni) and canceling their season tickets left and right. Things are pretty damn crazy there. This is a catastrophic mistake for TAMU.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.54%

Oh well, It was fun while it lasted.
  33. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Some highlights from the UT press conference.

"I wont be discussing the Pac-10 offer"

"Ten is a good number. It used to be very common."

Oh.

"We dont have any new deals but we'll let the Big 12 handle that."

"ABC/ESPN been very helpful in all of this"

Apparently, there are no deals or anything. They just wanted public statements from everyone saying they are still in. Wow. Just wow.

They will play all 9 teams in the conference. Wow. They are so ****ing epicly pathetic.

"Our conference is strong. When you play OU, A&M, K-State has been strong...we could get 2 BCS bids."

Disgusted doesnt begin to describe how I feel about all this. I dont think I am going to transfer anywhere in state after seeing this ****. One university is full of horrible people, the other is spineless.

All said and done, I feel defeated.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%

Kevin Scarbinsky pretty much summed it up:

"Texas made it official in a statement released at the dinner hour that it was going to remain in the Big 12. In short order, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M got in line and pledged their allegiance as well. They didn’t seem to mind that Texas would not only retain its kingpin status, but strengthen it.

Texas A&M was sick to death of Texas. The Aggies were sick of losing to the Longhorns. They were sick of hearing about the Longhorns. They were sick of being just another school in the state of Texas and living under the thumb of THE University of Texas. It sounded like a serious and understandable case of little-brother syndrome, the kind this state hasn’t seen since Alabama owned Auburn in football from 1973-81. It was so serious that A&M strongly resisted the idea of doing what Texas was planning to do and going where Texas was planning to go when it came to choosing a conference home.

In the end, though, when it came time to stand up to Texas, much like on the field in their annual rivalry, the Aggies were all hat and no cattle.

Meanwhile, the SEC, which was content to add Texas A&M as a 13th member and then sit tight until it could find another good fit, hasn’t lost a thing. The league’s Plan A from the start was to stay at 12 members strong.

Good luck to Texas and its little brothers as they try to keep up."
    RTR.
  35. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

TAMU regents were not allowed to vote. Decision rests with AD, Pres, and other top leaders. TAMU fans are PISSED. Administration officials are going on a PR campaign to try and fix some of it but its just not going well.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.4%

I think the Big Ten came out with the best additions, but you gotta admit the Big 12..err..10..has to be the happiest. They still have a conference when nobody thought they'd survive the crumble.
  37. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Yeah, every fanbase left besides the ones that dont matter (Iowa St etc) actually hates this move. Longhorns included.

http://tamu.scout.com/2/978071.html

Quote Originally Posted by TAMU Scout.com
    The saying goes that Texans like things bigger. So with this week’s public announcement by Texas A&M’s university president Loftin that his institution would forego a courtship by the Southeastern Conference to join the biggest collegiate athletic conference in the country to remain in a smaller Big 12 minus Nebraska and Colorado, needless to say it hasn’t gone over well with the Aggie faithful.

Since the announcement was released Monday evening, a firestorm of anger and criticism over the decision to stay in the modified Big 12 erupted from Texas A&M students, former students, and fans onto Loftin’s Facebook page, Internet sports information networks like Scout.com, and social networking web sites where fans and supporters congregate. More importantly for Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne and the 12th Man Foundation which is the fund raising arm of the athletic department, a significant group of donors have vehemently condemned the move and have threatened to cancel season tickets and remove sizeable pledges to fund upcoming capital projects including the planned multi-million dollar renovation of its baseball stadium that is scheduled to begin in the next seven months.

This Aggie revolt has come with its share of controversy as well. Calls to the athletic department have flooded phone lines while e-mails are jamming university mail boxes. Some of the comments from angry fans have not been gracious to say the least and in some cases have crossed the line, especially for Byrne‘s tastes. In an episode that is gaining widespread attention on the Internet and across sports talk radio programs around the state, Byrne was so offended by one particular e-mail that he left a threatening voicemail to one former student and challenged him to a face-to-face physical confrontation at his office. That voicemail was digitized and released on the Internet which has only fueled the current mutiny.

So what has the Aggies so riled up and why has the tease of joining the SEC become such an emotional and hot button issue that former students and high level university officials are coming to blows - literally? Actually, the list is long. It starts with wanting to play in the best college football conference in the nation and ends with needing to remove themselves from the oppressive shadow of big brother 100 miles away, the University of Texas.

While the drama of potentially separating from Texas has received the most headlines in the state’s press, the primary reasons for driving rank-and-file Texas A&M fans to the thought of joining the SEC is all about the product on the field and the cultural fit with the schools in the southeast. Aside from in-state rivals Texas and Baylor, Texas A&M has actually played LSU more times in its 100+ year program history than any other school in the Big 12 including Texas Tech. Baton Rouge is less than four hours from Houston where the greatest concentration of former students are located. Arkansas was a long-time rival in the old Southwest Conference and the two teams began a long-term neutral site series last year at the Cowboys’ new stadium in Dallas.

There’s also strong ties to SEC powerhouse Alabama. Before his successful and distinguished tenure with the Crimson Tide that made him a legend, Bear Bryant resurrected a downtrodden A&M program during his brief stay in College Station in the 1950’s highlighted by the legendary training camp at Junction, Texas that was made into a high profile movie several years ago. At that camp as a young player was Gene Stallings who would later go on to coach at Texas A&M and eventually coach and win a national championship at Alabama in the early 1990’s. It just so happens that Stallings currently sits on the university’s board of regents and has been rumored to be an integral player in bringing Texas A&M and the SEC to the table last week.

Aside from natural rivalries and a cultural fit, it ultimately boils down to the product on the field and the passionate game day environment and tailgating experience that has most Aggie fans drooling at the thought of joining the SEC. While the thought of playing LSU, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama is daunting for a football program that is still trying to rebuild after the destruction left by Dennis Franchione, these weekly match-ups in the SEC had A&M fans energized when word leaked over the weekend that SEC Commissioner Michael Slive was in College Station for extensive meetings with A&M officials.

And finally, with the University of Texas showing little interest in the SEC and focused on a move westward to the Pac-10, A&M fans saw the chance of a lifetime to not only move to an elite athletic conference but to also shed itself of its in-state rival that has dominated and overwhelmed many of the state’s universities on a wide range of issues but most clearly symbolized in the world of athletics.

Many Texas A&M fans interpret those actions to be hostile and limiting at times, and those feelings were certainly justified last week when Texas threatened to never play the Aggies again in any sport if they followed through with its plan to spurn the Longhorns’ brokered deal with Pac-10 and join the SEC. A&M stood its ground and continued its due diligence with the SEC over the weekend which spurred even more excitement among the fan base.

Loftin, Byrne, and selected members of the board of regents met behind closed doors Monday afternoon for what many Aggies felt would be a meeting to put the finishing touches on a recommendation to its board of regents to accept an invitation to the SEC.

But surprisingly, President Loftin emerged from those sessions to announce on his Facebook page that his team elected to stay in a smaller Big 12 Conference after a last minute Hail Mary proposal submitted by Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe promised both A&M and Texas over $20 million in annual TV revenues.

That left Texas A&M fans and stakeholders stunned and furious. They felt betrayed that university officials were lured to stay in a watered-down Big 12 Conference because of short term TV dollars. Hundreds of angry messages immediately flooded Loftin’s Facebook page and a call-to-arms began among the rank-and-file fan base and most importantly the school’s large donors.

This revolt could culminate this weekend. In an ironic twist to this story, Texas A&M had previously scheduled its annual athletics advisory council meetings in Austin for what is typically a comfortable handshake affair where the school’s top donors are wined-and-dined and given a state-of-the-union update from A&M officials. Byrne and Loftin are still on the agenda to speak, but there’s no question that there will be few handshakes and many uncomfortable moments as a vocal segment of the donor group plans to make a last-ditch plea to resurrect the SEC plan and put pressure on officials to listen to its customers. Several recent large on-line polls favor joining the SEC by a an overwhelming 85-90% mark.

Despite the overwhelming disdain for this Big 12 proposal (that has yet to receive guarantees from TV executives on the $20 million of revenues promised by Commissioner Dan Beebe) and the threats of donors pulling the plug on valuable funding, there’s been little evidence so far that A&M officials are reconsidering this controversial decision. So all eyes are on Saturday’s meeting and whether a face-to-face meeting with angry donors will sway Monday‘s decision.

For more information and discussion regarding realignment and detailed Texas A&M team news and up-to-the-minute recruiting analysis, go to Aggie Websider on the Scout.com Network at Websider.com. The Aggie Websider is the longest running Texas A&M sports reporting service and discussion community on the Internet.

Get inside coverage of your favorite team. Click here now to get started.
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.85%

seriously funny

You're right if Texas goes to the Pac 10 then they're ruined. But since I'm a Sooner, I don't really care about what happens to them. I want OU to go to the SEC. As much as I hate to say it, the SEC is the toughest/best/meanest confrence to play in. I have lived in Alabama for two years now and this whole confrence hates each other.
    The Big Ten can't stand up against the SEC most years. Do we remember the LSU vs ohio state national title? Or the Ohio state vs Florida title game?
    DO WE REMEMBER THE LSU/PENN STATE GAME LAST YEAR???? I SURE THE HELL DO!!!!! WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.85%

Welcome Nebraska!!!! good to see a class act in my beloved conference. I was scared to almost have Mizzou in here..yuk!!! Finally, a big 10 east and a big 10 west and ONE conf champion (bucknuts/co champ). I hope this doesnt take away a OSU/PSU matchup.
  40. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by plenny View Post
    Welcome Nebraska!!!! good to see a class act in my beloved conference. I was scared to almost have Mizzou in here..yuk!!! Finally, a big 10 east and a big 10 west and ONE conf champion (bucknuts/co champ). I hope this doesnt take away a OSU/PSU matchup.
    There's already ONE Big Ten conference champion the 5 time champs THE Ohio State University.
    I agree completely about Nebraska I feel they are a great fit in the Big Ten.
    I think they will continue the OSU/PSU it's been the game the past 4-5 years as Michigan has struggled to remain competitive.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 2009 College Football Season
    By OldGator in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 2751
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM
  2. College Football 2008 season
    By Trauma1 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 1563
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 12:12 AM
  3. Football Off season log
    By pavb10 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 29