HS basketball player skips senior year to play pro ball in Israel - AnabolicMinds.com

HS basketball player skips senior year to play pro ball in Israel

1. Banned
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.

Cool HS basketball player skips senior year to play pro ball in Israel

*****s High - Jeremy Tyler signs with Maccabi Haifa

What do you guys think of this? I've heard folks who think these types of decisions are bad, but I disagree. In sports like tennis and figure skating, many girls and boys become professional before they're even 18 years old.

In this guy's case, he's a legal adult (18) and he'd become "bored" because he was flat-out too good for his high school competition. His plan is to play for a year or two overseas, then return for the NBA Draft.

Obviously, obtaining a high school diploma and/or college degree is a good thing and in an ideal world, everyone would do it. In these special cases (guy is obviously going to play ball for a living) I think this move is fine. If any other HS dropout were to apply for a job to make a living, it wouldn't be a story. At least this guy has a future and will be getting paid handsomely.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

I understand that he plans on doing this for a living, but it just doesn't send the right message. I understand the skipping of college, but now we have kids skipping the final year of high school. I remember reading a few years back about a 6 year old (or there about that age) who was one of the best Halo players in the world that had his dad managing him giving lessons on how to play online. Granted he hasn't dropped out of school ... yet.

Most high paying jobs in this country require a college degree. Heck most middle income jobs require a high school diploma or GED. While this may be a good move for him (its no fun to be constantly triple teamed) the message it sends could very well have far reaching ripples that extend beyond basketball.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.

True, very valid points. I would say this issue of "sending the right/wrong message" would fall to the leagues themselves. The NBA, for example has a rule stating that draftees must be "at least 1 year removed from their graduating High School class" which effectively ensures that players will have completed HS and, ostensibly, 1 year of college. Granted, this is turning the major D1 bball powerhouses into one-and-done minor league farm organizations, but at the very least the kids who are drafted in the NBA are assured to have least graduated HS.

In this kid's case, you definitely can't blame the kid (although technically he's not a "kid" at 18) because the opportunity in front of him is too special to pass up. If there is "blame" to go around (in terms of sending the right message) it would fall on the Israeli league that wants to employ him.

Tough to get every league in the world to conform to a standard age or education level, since professional sports teams care about 2 things and 2 things only: making money and winning games. If this kid will help do either, then he'll have employment.
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.

This is some man-among-boys ish right here...

YouTube - Jeremy Tyler Mix - #1 Player of Class of 2010

Big man has a decent handle, I'm impressed. Dig the spin moves too. If he can face up, knock down mid-range jumpers and make moves to the basket from 15' out already at his size.....he might have a bright future.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Don't get me wrong he has skill and when you look at sports in general in the US, teenage girls are essentially professionals in gynastics on the world stage. Isn't the Israli league paying him like $140k for the first year with a player option out? If so and he has a good showing, he is looking at at least $1mil payday with a Euro team next year.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by js2sbr View Post
    Isn't the Israli league paying him like $140k for the first year with a player option out? If so and he has a good showing, he is looking at at least $1mil payday with a Euro team next year.
    Yeah, $140K for 1 year, with an option after that. I think the plan is for him to play 1 year in Israel, then come back for the NBA draft...kinda like when Brandon Jennings (McDonald's All-American 2008) couldn't get the proper SAT scores for college, then went to play 1 year of pro ball in Italy before being drafted #10 by the Bucks in the 2009 NBA Draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Jennings
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 18 year old football player
    By datplaya in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM
  2. Fourth Year Student: My Senior Year
    By Old Navy in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
  3. Japanese Learn How Americans Play Hard Ball !
    By anabolicrhino in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 09:48 PM
  4. How long after SD/PP can I play ball again
    By oswizzle in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 05:43 PM