2009 College Football Season

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Well the recruits have signed and the "Pre" Pre-Season picks are in...

Gators win 2 of last 3 BCS Championships and look like a lock for Pre-Season #1 for 2009... so IMHO a Gator should open the new year thread...

:biggthumpup:

WELCOME ALL.

GO GATORS!!

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Do or Die Charlie Weis! Good luck to all teams this year. I hope its full of excitement like last year.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
punxatawney jopa says 3 more years of penn state football

i guess he doesn't see a shadow!!??

Attachments

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i am still sad its all over....

i am eagerly awaiting next year soo much already!

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If plenny's gonna be here... then count me in!:laugh:

Well, I don't think Bama could've had better recruiting classes the past two years, so I hope it pays off.

ROLL TIDE.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's a great article on UT's Kiffin. There are some classic lines in this one!
Scarbinsky: UT's Kiffin needs to grow up, keep his mouth shut - Scarblog - al.com

"Lane Kiffin, after all, is only 33. Going on 13. He may be a good football coach when he grows up, but if he keeps this up, he won't stick around long enough to find out. He won't be fired. He'll be expelled."

"Bluster and bravado won't beat Florida or Alabama. Given the take-no-prisoners approach of both Meyer and Saban, Guantanamo might be a safer place for the Vols come the fall than Gainesville or Tuscaloosa."
:redeemerwhore:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do or Die Charlie Weis! Good luck to all teams this year. I hope its full of excitement like last year.
I am an ND fan myself. I have heard a lot of rumors about Romeo heading to South Bend to help out.

Lets hope Claussen continues to grow and their #1 recruit (the lb from Hawaii) is as good as advertised

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
"Bluster and bravado won't beat Florida or Alabama. Given the take-no-prisoners approach of both Meyer and Saban, Guantanamo might be a safer place for the Vols come the fall than Gainesville or Tuscaloosa."
Good link!

Decided to definitely fly to Gainesville September 19th to watch the execution in person.

sportsfan4110

sportsfan4110

Awards
HOOK EM HORNS!!! hopefully texas won't mess up like they did last year agains tech. i still believe oklahoma shouldn't have jumped texas in the bcs last year. o well, at least texas won their bowl game while the other Big 12 South lost theirs.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
like UPS says " what can brown do for you?"
Plenny says.."What can Brown do for PSUUUUUU?"

new recruit Justin Brown out of wilmington,DE........6'4 with 4.4 speed, is among the top 10 WR's in the country..should be a great compliment with graham zugg at the wr pos. along with mickey shuler at te position..also, "D" clark returns with RB evan royster and soph. "speedster" stephon greene..should be an explosive offense once again in 2009

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Still waiting to see whom the new Miami defensive coordinator is.

I like the guy we got as OC - Mark Whipple, was with the Eagles on their offensive staff.

Heard we play at FSU on Labor Day to open the season. :18:
Those 3 games were beyond terrible.

AFOX

Awards
Not everyone has signed. Bryce Brown and Orson Charles are still out there.
Sounds like it was a good thing Brown did not sign with you guys, even his high school coach said he is a me first player.

I'm very excited about the job Bo Pelini is doing at Nebraska. We only had the 28th best recruiting class this year, but he redshirted a bunch of talented players this year. With the Big 12 playing some pretty bad defense, Bo is bringing an aggressive SEC type defense that should put us back in the BCS hunt quickly. OU comes to our house next year, and they will have their hands full. The Blackshirts are back baby.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
With the Big 12 playing some pretty bad defense, Bo is bringing an aggressive SEC type defense that should put us back in the BCS hunt quickly. OU comes to our house next year, and they will have their hands full.
Yeah - some "SEC type defense" recently held OU to 14 :laugh:
(JMO, but the best "SEC type defenses" are actually found in the SEC).

Good luck to you though my Husker friend. It would be a good thing to see Nebraska back in the mix.

AFOX

Awards
Yeah - some "SEC type defense" recently held OU to 14 :laugh:
(JMO, but the best "SEC type defenses" are actually found in the SEC).

Good luck to you though my Husker friend. It would be a good thing to see Nebraska back in the mix.
Thanks man, its been tough to be a Husker fan for a while now. The best players were babies when we dominated in the 90's, and recruiting in Nebraska is a challenge anyway. Defense wins championships, and Bo knows defense. Just ask LSU, they really missed him this year.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like it was a good thing Brown did not sign with you guys, even his high school coach said he is a me first player.
He is. Still though he's an incredible player. Can't miss on the field. Off the field - who knows.

I think he inks with Miami - I just have no idea when. He's off at some "Ramadan" thing not eating any solid food.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
Very happy with our class. We missed on a few (Richardson, Teague), but we are very deep as far as our secondary is concerned, so they would have probably red shirted anyways. I am looking forward to seeing what DT Gary Brown, LB John Bostic, LB Jelani Jenkins, and FS Dee Finley bring to the table on defense.

Here's some interesting info for my fellow Gators OldGator and Trauma.

My brother was at the stadium the other day and made his way into the tunnel where the players come out of for the games. The entrance to the weight room was open so he went down to check it out. When he went into the tunnel he said he saw, to his amazement, that the walls of the tunnel leading out to the field and into the weight room had 8x10 papers with a Tennessee "T" on them. The "T" was in the background and in the foreground of the paper was this...

"I'm really looking forward to embracing some of the great traditions at the University of Tennessee.” said Kiffin in December. “For instance: the Vol Walk, running through the T, singing ‘Rocky Top’ all night long after we beat Florida next year. It will be a blast.”

I love it. Our coaches are already putting this into our players heads for off season conditioning, making it a top priority. This game needed some fire put back into it so I'm glad Kiffen came out and said what he said (calling Urban a cheater, etc.). UT has no idea what's in store for them when they come into the Swamp Sept. 19.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
When he went into the tunnel he said he saw, to his amazement, that the walls of the tunnel leading out to the field and into the weight room had 8x10 papers with a Tennessee "T" on them. The "T" was in the background and in the foreground of the paper was this...

"I'm really looking forward to embracing some of the great traditions at the University of Tennessee.” said Kiffin in December. “For instance: the Vol Walk, running through the T, singing ‘Rocky Top’ all night long after we beat Florida next year. It will be a blast.”

I'm glad Kiffen came out and said what he said (calling Urban a cheater, etc.). UT has no idea what's in store for them when they come into the Swamp Sept. 19.
Like I said - I'm headed down for the execution.

What type of name is "Lane" anyway for an SEC head coach? Sounds likes a wuss. Big talker though.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
Another great link, my Tide friend!

I may enjoy Bama stomping Kiffin's Krew almost as much as watching the Gators do the same.

Welcome to the SEC Laney Baby!
I got this from a Bama site, and I couldn't agree more :

"A UT fan at work asked why I was so tough on Kiffin. I said to imagine the SEC as an upper class neighborhood where everyone knows everyone. Although no one really gets along, there is still at least some degree of mutual respect among them. Then imagine a young "loud-mouth" moving in off his daddy's money; throwing parties all hours of the night; and being a general ... to everyone else. I don't think it would fly for very long there, and I don't think it will last in the SEC"

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I got this from a Bama site, and I couldn't agree more:

"A UT fan at work asked why I was so tough on Kiffin. I said to imagine the SEC as an upper class neighborhood where everyone knows everyone. Although no one really gets along, there is still at least some degree of mutual respect among them. Then imagine a young "loud-mouth" moving in off his daddy's money; throwing parties all hours of the night; and being a general ... to everyone else. I don't think it would fly for very long there, and I don't think it will last in the SEC"
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another great link, my Tide friend!

I may enjoy Bama stomping Kiffin's Krew almost as much as watching the Gators do the same.

Welcome to the SEC Laney Baby!
Too bad UCLA has to travel to Knoxville... 'cause I'd definitely drive to Pasadena to root against the Vols this year! (And I rarely pull against any SEC team.)

I'll give 'Boy Blunder' this much... I can't remember a new coach pumping up his university's rivals quite like this.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
Oh the irony.

Vols report secondary rule violations under Kiffin.

http://www.volunteertv.com/volsfootball/headlines/39331382.html

On January 16th, nine prospects visited the UT campus and took part in a mock press conference in Neyland Stadium. According to the story, coaches asked the players questions while they were being taped.

Tennessee also self-reported a January 9th incident when the Vols used a fog machine in Neyland Stadium.

The NCAA prohibits schools from simulating a game experience for recruits during official visits.
While these violations may be no big deal, I find it hilarious that "Boy Blunder" accuses Urban of cheating and here he is committing violations. Maybe he cheated on his recruiting test that all coaches have to take?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very happy with our class. We missed on a few (Richardson, Teague), but we are very deep as far as our secondary is concerned, so they would have probably red shirted anyways. I am looking forward to seeing what DT Gary Brown, LB John Bostic, LB Jelani Jenkins, and FS Dee Finley bring to the table on defense.

Here's some interesting info for my fellow Gators OldGator and Trauma.

My brother was at the stadium the other day and made his way into the tunnel where the players come out of for the games. The entrance to the weight room was open so he went down to check it out. When he went into the tunnel he said he saw, to his amazement, that the walls of the tunnel leading out to the field and into the weight room had 8x10 papers with a Tennessee "T" on them. The "T" was in the background and in the foreground of the paper was this...

I love it. Our coaches are already putting this into our players heads for off season conditioning, making it a top priority. This game needed some fire put back into it so I'm glad Kiffen came out and said what he said (calling Urban a cheater, etc.). UT has no idea what's in store for them when they come into the Swamp Sept. 19.
Priceless my friend, priceless!

Thanks for the fuel lane, you freakin' twit! We all need to hook up for this game in gainesville. I shall be there, so i'll hit you and oldgator up when the time is upon us! I was at the swamp the last time the gators laid a whoopin' on those backwoods freaks.

GO GATORS!!!!

TENNESSEE CAN SUCK MY ASS!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry i'm late to the party fellas, but i seemed to have missed this thread initially.

I'm pulling hard for my Big East Connecticut Huskies as well this year. The football program really seems to be up and coming. My years there were dominated by college basketball (which i love as well, and we need to start a thread, hehe.) So......

GO GATORS!!

GO HUSKIES!!

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Anybody else get the impression UT is starting to second-guess themselves on this hire?
Consensus yesterday on ESPN (reporting on Tennessee's violations under Kiffin) is that he's "in over his head", "nervous", and thus "acting out". Sounds like a little kid! There was even the comment that the only sound decision Al Davis made in the last 3 years was firing Kiffin.

You can tell in her voice that Pat Summit thinks he's an ass.

Yeah, I think Tennessee is more than a little worried.

September 19th can't get here fast enough for me. Urban doesn't talk trash, he gets even (i.e. Georgia). On 9/19/09 there'll be smoke coming from the scoreboard. My daughter (a junior) said the word on campus is that Gator fans will sing Rocky Top as soon as the Gators put 50 on 'em (responding to Lane's boost to sing Rocky Top after the Vols beat the Gators in the Swamp this year).

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
I'm in a couple of days late on this one....might as well add another SEC fan to the mix...Go Dawgs!!!

AFOX

Awards
Consensus yesterday on ESPN (reporting on Tennessee's violations under Kiffin) is that he's "in over his head", "nervous", and thus "acting out". Sounds like a little kid! There was even the comment that the only sound decision Al Davis made in the last 3 years was firing Kiffin.

You can tell in her voice that Pat Summit thinks he's an ass.

Yeah, I think Tennessee is more than a little worried.

September 19th can't get here fast enough for me. Urban doesn't talk trash, he gets even (i.e. Georgia). On 9/19/09 there'll be smoke coming from the scoreboard. My daughter (a junior) said the word on campus is that Gator fans will sing Rocky Top as soon as the Gators put 50 on 'em (responding to Lane's boost to sing Rocky Top after the Vols beat the Gators in the Swamp this year).
I said it before, fired Raider coaches make horrible college coaches. Most people did not hear about what Bill Callahan did behind the scenes at Nebraska, but he did every thing he could to destroy the long held traditions that we were so proud of. I really feel sorry for Tennessee for hiring this little punk.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
My daughter (a junior) said the word on campus is that Gator fans will sing Rocky Top as soon as the Gators put 50 on 'em (responding to Lane's boost to sing Rocky Top after the Vols beat the Gators in the Swamp this year).
I'll most definitely be sporting my old school UT smack shirt (my how times have changed): "Rocky Top you’ll always be second in the S-E-C, Good ol Rocky Top, second in the S-E-C"

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll most definitely be sporting my old school UT smack shirt (my how times have changed): "Rocky Top you’ll always be second in the S-E-C, Good ol Rocky Top, second in the S-E-C"
I have a classic smack talk UT t-shirt myself. You know i'll be sportin' it all year long. I've always loathed UT and most of their fans.....it's probably because every UF vs. UT game i've ever been to the UT crowd are ALWAYS a bunch of classless hillbilly dipshits.

I hope urban lays the hammer down on them this year in all regards. I can't wait to watch florida bury UT in the pile of sh*t they've already laid down for themselves.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I have a classic smack talk UT t-shirt myself. You know i'll be sportin' it all year long. I've always loathed UT and most of their fans.....it's probably because every UF vs. UT game i've ever been to the UT crowd are ALWAYS a bunch of classless hillbilly dipshits.

I hope urban lays the hammer down on them this year in all regards. I can't wait to watch florida bury UT in the pile of sh*t they've already laid down for themselves.
What's funny is my impression of UT-UF and both sets of fans. Remember that I was an outsider on the UT campus as far as athletics went. I went to all the football games though - because I'm a huge football fan.

But I still maintain the worst behaved fans in Knoxville where you guys. That's not because I hate the Gators. You guys just brought more chodes and douches.

As a side note - the alums I still talk with are pretty much appalled at Kiffin at this point.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's funny is my impression of UT-UF and both sets of fans. Remember that I was an outsider on the UT campus as far as athletics went. I went to all the football games though - because I'm a huge football fan.

But I still maintain the worst behaved fans in Knoxville where you guys. That's not because I hate the Gators. You guys just brought more chodes and douches.

As a side note - the alums I still talk with are pretty much appalled at Kiffin at this point.
You should have been to some of the games i was at in gainesville then. J, my wife had a grown man (with his family present) spit at her while at school during a UT/UF game ('96) in knoxville when they lost. This was not provoked either, my wife is very mild tempered. That classless crap says it all really. Even in my profession, that's one thing i don't tolerate AT ALL, being spit at.

These type of feelings are subjective though, but in my experiences, i've dealt with nothing but morons from UT. I try not to stereotype fans like that, but i call it like i see it, J.

You're the only UT alum i like.....hahaha. ;)

Edit: I don't deny we have some asshole fans either, because i know we do, as does everyone. It's part of the game in the end. :usa2:

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
jmh you still predicting a 2010 National Championship for your Canes? I remember you and Desmond Howard predicted that UM was 2 years away. You still feel good about that? How do you think Miami will start the '09 season? I see a potential 0-4 start in your future :

Sept. 7th at Florida State
Sept. 17th Georgia Tech
Sept. 26th at Virginia Tech
Oct 3rd Oklahoma

(yes our schedule is a bit softer this year :boobies:)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And for the record, i'm now enrolled at USF here in tampa to attain my masters level (possibly doctorate) ARNP. Does this mean i have to like the bulls now, too? :lol:

They actually have my old highschool colors.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
And for the record, i'm now enrolled at USF here in tampa to attain my masters level (possibly doctorate) ARNP. Does this mean i have to like the bulls now, too? :lol:

They actually have my old highschool colors.
Heh. Do me a favor and slap the first mofo you see on campus with a "Grothe > Tebow" shirt on...if those still in fact exist.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Heh. Do me a favor and slap the first mofo you see on campus with a "Grothe > Tebow" shirt on...if those still in fact exist.
Lol, will do!

I'm wearing my 'Super Tebow' shirt everywhere, hahahaha!

Nole1

Nole1

Awards
  • Established
Well, my Noles will be opening the season with the U again. I think that sucks, as its always a better game when both teams have jelled a little bit. I'll be there though - season tickets in hand.

I'm especially looking forward to the USF game at the end of Sept too.......should be a fun one.

And of course - I'm hoping for UF to be undefeated when we roll into Hogtown next November. We are due for another win in the swamp!!! I know the Gates have had their run, and have dominated the series of late - but these things never last. Each of the big 3 from FL have had their runs at the top.

Go Noles.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
We are due for another win in the swamp!!!
Doubt that being "due" will have much to do with playing the defending champs at home with 90% of their starters returning.

Being "competitive" would help, however. :wink1:

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Ouch.:lol:
Understand UF/FSU is Hatfield/McCoys and we took worse Nole lumps when they dominated. And "Nole 1" is right when he says things won't stay this way forever in the state of Florida. Noles won't lay low forever (neither will "Canes). It just ain't happening for either of them in 2009.

Ya gotta get while the gettin's good 'cause you can be sure they're keeping their knives sharp for Gator blood for when they're back on their game!

I don't pretend to know much about your Bama/Auburn rivalry but I would find it hard to believe there is a more "punch you in the mouth" rivalry than UF/FSU. It seems even the kids on campus dislike each other. My daughter once met an FSU student and told me he was "very nice and extremely cute". I said "So you like him?" And she looked at me like I was nuts and said "Dad he's a Nole" - like he belonged to the Taliban or something!

Just another thing I love about college football - the fanatical sense of school loyalty!