Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Q1: What is ALCAR and how does it work?

ALCAR is L-carnitine that has undergone a reaction that has introduced an acetyl group to its structure. Unlike regular L-carnitine, ALCAR is able to pass through the blood brain barrier and act as a pre-cursor to acetyl-choline (the learning neurotransmitter). How this works is through Carnitine Acetyltransferase (CarAT). Once the acetyl group is cleaved from the carnitine salt, it is transfered to Acetyl-CoA via CarAT. From Acetyl-CoA, the acetyl group is transferred to choline via Choline Acetyltransferase (ChAT) to yield acetyl-choline.

It must be noted that Choline and ALCAR work in unison to make acetyl-choline. When we supplement with additional choline (covered in depth in another FAQ), we increase plasma levels of choline and create a 'pool'. However supplemental choline is generally taken up by cells or phosphorylated and not much of it is left for storage. However when we supplement with ALCAR, this allows for more of the acetyl group to be taken uo by choline to produce ACh and thus, they work in synergy to increase learning capacity.

Alongside its own ability to produce more ACh, ALCAR also increases the use of glucose in the brain which then allows for enhanced ACh production from glucose/ pyruvate.

The Acetylated version of carnitine is used primarily for its effects on cognition however it also has neuro-protective capabilities. It exudes this effect in 3 different ways:

1) increases cerebral blood flow
2) osidative metabolism of the acetyl group to compensate for impaired pyruvate dehydrogenase activity. Pyruvate dehydrogenase transforms pyruvate into Acetyl-CoA and so if this is not functioning optimally, then ALCAR can increase ACh through its own mechanism.
3) antagonism of glutamate excitotoxicity

Also important to note is that ALCAR does not compete with glucose or pyruvate in ACh formation, and thus able to contribute more ACh than we can produce ourselves. Furthermore, ALCAR has been shown to be a carrier molecule of Acetyl-COA into the cytoplasm from other sources of Acetyl-COA.

Much like Huperzine A, ALCAR can slow the decline in age related ACh decreases by increasing the amount of ACh available in the brain. Thus benefiting those in the older population.

Through subjective measuring on ALCAR supplementation on depression, 2g of ALCAR has been shown to decrease the severity of depressive episodes and markedly improve quality of life in those tested.

Q2: What supplements does ALCAR stack well with?

For the reasons outlined above, ALCAR stacks well with a choline source and huperzine A. With more choline available and less of the enzyme around degrading ACh, we can have a safe and effective cognitive stack utilising these 3 ingredients in synergy.

ALCAR: Serious Nutrition Solutions ALCAR 500 (100 Capsules): Discount ALCAR 500 Supplements
Choline: Serious Nutrition Solutions Choline Citrate (500 grams): Discount Choline Citrate Supplements
Huperzine A: Serious Nutrition Solutions Huperzine A 99% (120 Capsules): Discount Huperzine A 99% Supplements

Alternatively, Focus XT contains all 3 of these, plus other cognitive ingredients for a very affordable price: Serious Nutrition Solutions Focus XT (30 Servings): Discount Focus XT Supplements

Q3: Any known side effects?

Uses do not tend to note many side effects associated with ALCAR use, however it may increase 'wakefulness' and thus its use around bed time should be limited.

Q4: When is the optimal time to use ALCAR?

It can be taken fasted upon rising, pre-workout or pre any mentally stimulating activity. It's best used for longer duration as its effects get better with time.

Q5: To whom is Huperzine A most beneficial?

I recommend this to people who need an extra pick-me up in terms of enhancing attention and the ability to learn and recall information. This applies to any students or career person where attention to detail and/ or the ability to recall information is needed for optimal performance.
ALCAR supplementation may also be useful during one's later years to increase the amount of ACh in the brain as it declines due to age - age is often characterized by deterioration of memory function and thus, Huperzine A can help prevent this decline

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Jiigzz, always enjoy reading these. I've actually noticed a boost in my cognitive ability while taking ALCAR with x-gels. I truly believe my memory and ability to recall learned information has greatly improved, good to know my thoughts are validated by this. Is there any need to cycle on and off of ALCAR, for the purpose of effectiveness? I've really enjoyed this supplement and want to continue to take it when I'm done with my x-gels run.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thanks Jiigzz, always enjoy reading these. I've actually noticed a boost in my cognitive ability while taking ALCAR with x-gels. I truly believe my memory and ability to recall learned information has greatly improved, good to know my thoughts are validated by this. Is there any need to cycle on and off of ALCAR, for the purpose of effectiveness? I've really enjoyed this supplement and want to continue to take it when I'm done with my x-gels run.
It is good practice to cycle everything, however there doesn't seem to be a set cycle protocol for ALCAR like there is with things like Hup A.

As an aside, my cognitive capabilities have greatly improved while using ALCAR. I had zero time to study for a big final last year (family issues got in the way) and so I had to read through 85 pages of single spaced, size 10 font word in 7 days and by the end of the 7 days, I could recite the whole thing practically word for word.

I already have quite good rote learning skills but even this blew my mind.

aceroni

Awards
Q1: What is ALCAR and how does it work?

ALCAR is L-carnitine that has undergone a reaction that has introduced an acetyl group to its structure. Unlike regular L-carnitine, ALCAR is able to pass through the blood brain barrier and act as a pre-cursor to acetyl-choline (the learning neurotransmitter). How this works is through Carnitine Acetyltransferase (CarAT). Once the acetyl group is cleaved from the carnitine salt, it is transfered to Acetyl-CoA via CarAT. From Acetyl-CoA, the acetyl group is transferred to choline via Choline Acetyltransferase (ChAT) to yield acetyl-choline.

It must be noted that Choline and ALCAR work in unison to make acetyl-choline. When we supplement with additional choline (covered in depth in another FAQ), we increase plasma levels of choline and create a 'pool'. However supplemental choline is generally taken up by cells or phosphorylated and not much of it is left for storage. However when we supplement with ALCAR, this allows for more of the acetyl group to be taken uo by choline to produce ACh and thus, they work in synergy to increase learning capacity.

Alongside its own ability to produce more ACh, ALCAR also increases the use of glucose in the brain which then allows for enhanced ACh production from glucose/ pyruvate.

The Acetylated version of carnitine is used primarily for its effects on cognition however it also has neuro-protective capabilities. It exudes this effect in 3 different ways:

1) increases cerebral blood flow
2) osidative metabolism of the acetyl group to compensate for impaired pyruvate dehydrogenase activity. Pyruvate dehydrogenase transforms pyruvate into Acetyl-CoA and so if this is not functioning optimally, then ALCAR can increase ACh through its own mechanism.
3) antagonism of glutamate excitotoxicity

Also important to note is that ALCAR does not compete with glucose or pyruvate in ACh formation, and thus able to contribute more ACh than we can produce ourselves. Furthermore, ALCAR has been shown to be a carrier molecule of Acetyl-COA into the cytoplasm from other sources of Acetyl-COA.

Much like Huperzine A, ALCAR can slow the decline in age related ACh decreases by increasing the amount of ACh available in the brain. Thus benefiting those in the older population.

Through subjective measuring on ALCAR supplementation on depression, 2g of ALCAR has been shown to decrease the severity of depressive episodes and markedly improve quality of life in those tested.

Q2: What supplements does ALCAR stack well with?

For the reasons outlined above, ALCAR stacks well with a choline source and huperzine A. With more choline available and less of the enzyme around degrading ACh, we can have a safe and effective cognitive stack utilising these 3 ingredients in synergy.

ALCAR: Serious Nutrition Solutions ALCAR 500 (100 Capsules): Discount ALCAR 500 Supplements
Choline: Serious Nutrition Solutions Choline Citrate (500 grams): Discount Choline Citrate Supplements
Huperzine A: Serious Nutrition Solutions Huperzine A 99% (120 Capsules): Discount Huperzine A 99% Supplements

Alternatively, Focus XT contains all 3 of these, plus other cognitive ingredients for a very affordable price: Serious Nutrition Solutions Focus XT (30 Servings): Discount Focus XT Supplements

Q3: Any known side effects?

Uses do not tend to note many side effects associated with ALCAR use, however it may increase 'wakefulness' and thus its use around bed time should be limited.

Q4: When is the optimal time to use ALCAR?

It can be taken fasted upon rising, pre-workout or pre any mentally stimulating activity. It's best used for longer duration as its effects get better with time.

Q5: To whom is Huperzine A most beneficial?

I recommend this to people who need an extra pick-me up in terms of enhancing attention and the ability to learn and recall information. This applies to any students or career person where attention to detail and/ or the ability to recall information is needed for optimal performance.
ALCAR supplementation may also be useful during one's later years to increase the amount of ACh in the brain as it declines due to age - age is often characterized by deterioration of memory function and thus, Huperzine A can help prevent this decline
Hi jiggz sorry to bump an old thread but I just started chiropractic school. I'm balls deep into the trimester and finals are coming up.
I actually just ordered alcar 500, hup a, and choline citrate ( all sns brand)
How do you recommend dosing them?
Thanks

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Jiigzz

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HupA- 300-400mcg
Choline citrate-600mg
ALCAR -1000-1500mg

aceroni

Awards
HupA- 300-400mcg
Choline citrate-600mg
ALCAR -1000-1500mg
Thanks bud.
Do I split this dose up and take it twice throughout the day or is one bolus dose more ideal?
I tend to get GI stress from some sups so I'm erring on the side of a split dose.
Any further recommendation?