Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So it looks like the wizards at Finaflex have been busy brewing up a new blend....

IMG_0140.JPG

Don't know anything else about it, but for the duration of this log this will be my lone BCAA supp (which I use intraworkout, heavily diluted and for typically 80-120 minutes). Thank you to the fine folks at FF, and the reps on this board, for this very sexy opportunity to give this stuff a first run - people at the gym were asking me what's in the bottle last night, and all I could tell them was it's TOP SECRET.

Hope it's not pixie dust and I'm in a placebo group or something, because I start official training for my next meet this monday - and once I'm in meet prep, workouts never last less than 90 minutes and recovery becomes number 1. Currently weighing 221lbs as of this am, and at a mock meet held 2 wks ago I totaled 1,350 without knee wraps (485 squat, 295 bench, 570 dead). The first 3wks of this training cycle will be the volume accumulation phase, so this is honestly the finest time to test this product's effect on recovery - the repetition deadlift and squat days are intense enough that I have to fight to keep from vomiting.

Let's see what this BCAA+SAA blend can do!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Final Review

On a scale of 1-5 where 1 is strongly disagree and 5 is strongly agree....

1) This product enhanced my recovery
...(5/5)

I absolutely noticed improved recovery taking 2 scoops (and nothing else besides water) intra every workout while I had this tub. I had been using about 50g of gatorade for a couple weeks prior to this, and I was definitely healing better with an otherwise similar diet protocol.

2) This product helped me power through my training sessions.
...(3/5)

The BCAAs actually were not nearly as effective in promoting endurance as the simple carbs & sugars of the gatorade I had previously been using, but that's to be expected really. BCAAs aren't as readily used as active fuel; they promote recovery.

3) This product kept me hydrated...
...(4/5)

I always try to consume a lot of water intra, but it was mandatory with how sweet these were - if I wanted to get them down I was forced to dilute them a LOT to enjoy them.

4) This product tasted great.
...(3/5)

See #3. There's nothing revolutionary about the Fruit Punch, but it's pleasant all the time and actually get's more enjoyable the more you drink it. However, the suggested water/scoop is 8-16oz, and I had to use upwards of 24oz water/scoop for them to be hydrating instead of feeling like drinking a thick pixie stick solution. The sweetness of this formula NEEDS to be toned down a hair. Not radically, as a lot of people dilute their BCAAs, but this is the strongest flavoring I've ever seen. Even my gf agreed it was just too sweet as is.

5) Would I recommend it to friends and family?
...(4/5)

FF products are usually very aggressively priced, and I'd expect no less when these hit the market. They definitely helped my recovery, and they had a nice flavor & excellent mixability. However, the caveat is the sweetness needs turned down some.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Took this stuff out for a first date last night, finishing up the last few days of a 2 week maintenance training period (basically inbetween periodized training cycles and using more moderate weights to give my body a bit of a break). Here's what's in the tub (and check out that badass shaker they sent!):

IMG_0141.JPG

The max recommended oz of water/scoop is 16oz - I used 2 scoops in about 48oz, or 50% more than the max recommended for flavor. Starts dissolving FAST:

IMG_0142.JPG

And with a quick shake we get this:

IMG_0143.JPG

Which fueled this:

Squat (beltless, to be completed in 15 min)
-45x10
-135x5
-225x5
-335x1
-265x5x5 sets

Sumo Deadlift
-135x10
-225x6
-315x4
-365x3
-385x3
-435x3

Conv Deadlift
-365x3x3

SLDL (first time ever doing these, felt very light and fast)
-135x8
-185x8
-225x8x2 sets

Goodmornings
-135x12x2 sets

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Subbed

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
First Impressions:

White powder mixes to a fruity pinkish red very quickly, no noticeable grit or chunks - this stuff totally dissolved immediately. There was some foam but by the time I got to the gym it was gone already. Even with 50% more water than the max recommended, this stuff was still sweet and definitely a class Fruit Punch flavor, no mistaking that. Nothing special about the flavor, but it was pleasant enough - certainly not something you'd have to fight down at all. I ran this solo, with no Gatorade like I often use, and didn't feel like I was missing out. So far so good!

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
Subbed. What's the motivation behind timing the squat portion of your lift?

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In dis bishhhh

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMG_167950222622698.jpeg

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The foam is just high quality BCAA of course :)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. What's the motivation behind timing the squat portion of your lift?
Build work capacity - this is the entry level phase 1 of Paul Carter's Base Building Method, coupled with his 4 day/wk Zenith bodypart split. I just used the phase 1's as a means to basically actively coast for 2 weeks before I fire up another Cube Kingpin cycle. I've spent almost the last 3/4 of a year predominantly on Kingpin cycles, and I've come to find that they beat me up pretty good.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
In to watch Hyde kill this, and also promoting Orbit's latest promo for a gift card good for any Orbit purchase

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The squat looks a lot like base building......

You using Paul Carters templates to program off of?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The squat looks a lot like base building......

You using Paul Carters templates to program off of?
Lmao I just said it was Carter's Phase 1 squat of the BBM like 3 posts up; I've been running it last week and this week to get some weight off the bar for a moment before I start Cubing it again next week. Little scared, very excited.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Current swolfie, today @ 223lbs or so after work & 5 meals. In case any of you want to know what 5'10" and 20+% bf looks like :afro:

IMG_0148.JPG

HardEarned

HardEarned

Awards
WHAT?!?!?!?! My boy Hyde has a log going?

BTW I personally love bcaas and I think they are great intra workout and throughout the day.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed for wisdom.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HardEarned

HardEarned

Awards
Well whats goin on broskeez? Lets get this thing jumped off!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Welcome ery'body!

Had my 2nd encounter with the BCAA kind this evening for some upper back/bi work. If the volume seems on the mild side, that's because it is. I start pushing next week. And I tore a callus off wednesday so even with a bunch of glue and chalk it was torn right open tonight on the 2nd workset of rows and the pain was pretty good. Heavy deadlift monday will be interesting.

Tonight

Bent-Over BB Rows
-135x10
-195x8x4 sets

DB Shrugs (Squeeze!)
-Hunneds x20x4 sets

Widegrip Pulldowns
-85x8
-140x10x4 sets

EZ Bar Curls
-37.5x50, 30, & 20 reps

Mixed 2 scoops of Beta with 60oz water tonight - this was freakin' perfect. I like flavored water intra that's sweet and has some flavor but diluted enough that you can just guzzle it between sets - where it seems hydrating instead of leaving your mouth feeling dry. It was considerably tastier than the 50g of Gatorade I often use with that amount of water, and sweeter than most BCAAs with that amount of water. I suspect it will be too strong a taste for me when I try it with 16oz/scoop sunday, but for the way I use it this is really good.

Shoulders & tricep work tomorrow! Brotastic :smoker:

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Lots of gatorade lovers here and in the gym. I want to see the rebel chugging a powerade one day lol

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mixed 2 scoops of Beta with 60oz water tonight - this was freakin' perfect. :
You typically drink 60oz of water during your workout? Got me thinking, guess I am drinking about 48 intra so that is up there too

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
You typically drink 60oz of water during your workout? Got me thinking, guess I am drinking about 48 intra so that is up there too
Hmmm...I think I need to drink more water after reading what you guys drink. Maybe 30oz during my workout and more throughout the day

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Geez I really need to step it up then lol I do 20oz during my workout.

Since we're on a downhill with how much we drink intra who's drinking less than me?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lots of gatorade lovers here and in the gym. I want to see the rebel chugging a powerade one day lol
It's not the same; not as much maltodextrin. Gatorade bulk powder was just a po' boy solution to a question I've been playing with for a long time - what really works, for me, for sheer performance increase regarding intra consumption? Waxy Maize/corn starch just bloats me terribly and I feel sluggish. Straight sugar/corn syrup drinks I feel terrible, simply impossible to keep a stable feeling of energy/blood sugar even drinking them consistently after every set. Haven't been interested in shelling out for HBCD to try it (although nobody has much bad to say about it other than $) and been to lazy to try straight malto. I suspect pure malto would be superior to gatorade, but that's on the list to test. BCAAs, a good source, at least 15g seem to make a good difference too in endurance. I have a couple go-to brands I'm weighing this against in my head.

At least 40, but I strive for more. 50-60 has been the norm lately and it's alleviated a lot of cramps.

Hmmm...I think I need to drink more water after reading what you guys drink. Maybe 30oz during my workout and more throughout the day
Muscle is primarily water. All the food, sleep, PEDs in the world won't save you if you show up dehydrated. Wake up & train fasted with zero hydration and any preWO you like (gobble down the dry powder). Repeat the routine on nothing next week but consume 64oz water beforehand and tell me which performance was superior.

Geez I really need to step it up then lol I do 20oz during my workout.

Since we're on a downhill with how much we drink intra who's drinking less than me?
See above lol

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
It's not the same; not as much maltodextrin. Gatorade bulk powder was just a po' boy solution to a question I've been playing with for a long time - what really works, for me, for sheer performance increase regarding intra consumption? Waxy Maize/corn starch just bloats me terribly and I feel sluggish. Straight sugar/corn syrup drinks I feel terrible, simply impossible to keep a stable feeling of energy/blood sugar even drinking them consistently after every set. Haven't been interested in shelling out for HBCD to try it (although nobody has much bad to say about it other than $) and been to lazy to try straight malto. I suspect pure malto would be superior to gatorade, but that's on the list to test. BCAAs, a good source, at least 15g seem to make a good difference too in endurance. I have a couple go-to brands I'm weighing this against in my head. At least 40, but I strive for more. 50-60 has been the norm lately and it's alleviated a lot of cramps. Muscle is primarily water. All the food, sleep, PEDs in the world won't save you if you show up dehydrated. Wake up & train fasted with zero hydration and any preWO you like (gobble down the dry powder). Repeat the routine on nothing next week but consume 64oz water beforehand and tell me which performance was superior. See above lol
Thanks for the advice. I will try and consume more water on the way to the gym. It's tough to get a lot of water in when you wake up and drive to the gym.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the advice. I will try and consume more water on the way to the gym. It's tough to get a lot of water in when you wake up and drive to the gym.
I hear you. I realized I was drinking more coffee in the morning at work because I wasn't hydrated enough, so my energy was paltry (before further dehydrating with caffeine). Now I slam 20oz upon rising before I even hit my bfast shake (which has more fluid in it) and I have a lot more ass under me when I hit the floor. I keep drinking a 20oz shaker of water every 2 hours or so all day.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I hear you. I realized I was drinking more coffee in the morning at work because I wasn't hydrated enough, so my energy was paltry (before further dehydrating with caffeine). Now I slam 20oz upon rising before I even hit my bfast shake (which has more fluid in it) and I have a lot more ass under me when I hit the floor. I keep drinking a 20oz shaker of water every 2 hours or so all day.
Great plan with good results. I'm in on that. I will try it tomorrow

turff49

turff49

Awards
Yep, I probably consume 50-60oz of water during a 1hr workout. Sometimes with BCAA and sometimes with Dextrose..

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since we're all sharing, I sip water all night to prevent reaching dehydration. Sure I use the bathroom throughout the night, but it's so easy for me to fall back asleep.

When I get up at 0330 I drink about 8oz before my 2-3 cups coffee. Then I have about 12oz with my PWO, and 46-69 intra with my single scoop BCAAs. Work great for me. Then I taper off until noon because I can't stop going to the bathroom.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't drink many fluids intra workout. It's just not in my mind most of the time unless it's leg day. Then it's 40oz water with BCAA mixed in.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I typically wake.. and like Hyde drink a shaker of water, then another with BCAA's in it - as I am usually heading out the door for my run. Post run is my morning shake. Routinely, I too drink a shaker every 90 - 120 minutes throughout the day. My intra consists of 2 shakers with about 1.5 scoops of BCAA/SAA in each (sometimes I will add a scoop of HBCD to the second shaker and have some extra water on hand to dilute). Post workout is a shake and then more water with diluted cranberry juice in it for the rest of the evening.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
See above lol
Oh I consume enough water for the day, just intra I only drink about 20-24oz with my OMEGA STRIVE in it.

Breakfast - 8oz coffee
8-11am 40z water
1130-6pm 50oz water + BCAAs and pre w/o in there
7-10pm 15-20oz water

So, I drink just under a gallon a day and I'm only a buck 50. Obviously I can always drink more water but @ my weight a gallon is optimal

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Really cool to see how everyone does it, personally.

I don't drink many fluids intra workout. It's just not in my mind most of the time unless it's leg day. Then it's 40oz water with BCAA mixed in.
I got to be the same way - I'd maybe finish my one shaker and it got to where I wouldn't bother to refill it. So I bought a bigger container to dilute everything and it's a lot easier with it staring back at me. If I want all the bcaas I intended to consume I gotta drink up lol

Post workout is a shake and then more water with diluted cranberry juice in it for the rest of the evening.
Picked that up from Meadows too; always keep some unconcentrated CB juice around if I'm in the mood....it's like Mio, but not artificial and probably good for my kidneys I figure, and it's prob cheaper than Mio.

Oh I consume enough water for the day, just intra I only drink about 20-24oz with my OMEGA STRIVE in it.

So, I drink just under a gallon a day and I'm only a buck 50. Obviously I can always drink more water but @ my weight a gallon is optimal
Oh all I meant was you need to be optimally hydrated during the W/O if you want optimal ability. Whatever works best for you is where it's at. I found that being more hydrated did seem to boost my endurance ultimately, and drastically reduced any cramping later near bed, when my intake tapers down.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bought to go build the shoulders into boulders! Yeah buddy

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Bought to go build the shoulders into boulders! Yeah buddy
Excellent! Shoulders have become my 2nd favorite workout day.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3rd time using, about 50oz water. This is a tad sweet for me, but had a great session. Started slow during the standing strict press and really cranked the pace up afterward to get the all the volume in over 65 min or so.

Today
Standing OHP (cleaned awfully from floor)
-40x12
-60x10
-80x8
-110x8
+belt & wraps
-145x8x3 sets
-150x8

Rear DB Flys
-20sx20x5 sets

ss w/ Rolling Tri Extensions
-30sx20x2 sets
-20sx30x2 sets

Widegrip EZ Bar Upright Rows
-60x15
-80x12
-90x12x2 sets

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Gf had to move a bunch of lumbar to build a theater set this morning, so I gave her a scoop of the beta BCAAs in 10oz water. She said it tasted very good, like candy. She said the flavor was great, enjoyable to drink, but it was simply too sweet as is.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wraps on OHP? For the wrists?

I'm not huge on sweet drinks, either. The Blue Razz we have now is pretty dang sweet, but after drinking 1/3-1/2 I add more water and it's perfect tasting.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wraps on OHP? For the wrists?

I'm not huge on sweet drinks, either. The Blue Razz we have now is pretty dang sweet, but after drinking 1/3-1/2 I add more water and it's perfect tasting.
Yep. Used my IR Raptors. Love em - wrists feel locked in place & the material isn't too harsh, but much more aggressive than my stretchy red ones from Elite I use for reps on squat. I normally wouldn't bother with wraps for an 8 rep set, but all the racks were taken so I had to clean from the floor....and my "clean" is more like a meathead reverse curl, so I wrap my pencil wrists.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Curious; if I know at some point I'll need to wrap my wrists (due to past injuries outside the gym), but don't need to now, should I proactively start or wait until I feel the need?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Curious; if I know at some point I'll need to wrap my wrists (due to past injuries outside the gym), but don't need to now, should I proactively start or wait until I feel the need?
Kind of comes back to your thoughts on belts or supportive gear in general. That's personal. I've tweaked my wrist w/ my poor form cleans before really good, and it certainly doesn't hinder my pressing, so I wrapped them. I had a serious back injury before I ever learned to squat, pull, or really do anything that wasn't a machine, presses or curls, so a belt is always necessary to extract max performance for me.