Soldier's Redefine Yourself Contest Log

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Time to test myself on this one guys. It's time for me to get into a more athletic style of lifting and working out. Mainly the same workouts with added in swimming, hitting heavybags, tabata theory, hiit sprints. Water only from now on. Got Finaflex PX Black on my side, which means I'm fully strapped! Based off my other log it is obvious I have a gold base to start with. I also have a lot of definition to obtain! Not saying I look like **** but I got room for improvement that I will utilize as my advantage! Here is my before pic that I sent in. Hopefully by the end of this log I'm not the same size cuz that would be embarrassing :) I have good faith! Let's run ****!

Will also post this on finaflex forums as well.

ForumRunner_20130620_204441.png

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here for support when needed!

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here to add quips and useless knowledge. Did you know Ty Cobb had the highest career batting average?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But, I have another few questions that pertain to the challenge. What is your plan for dieting (I hate that word because it makes people think of starving or limitations), or better yet, what is your eating plan?
Do you have a goal for a bf%? I'm not the expert on reaching goals, but I've found that they are easier to reach if you have clear ones.
And last, what are you gonna do if you win?

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But, I have another few questions that pertain to the challenge. What is your plan for dieting (I hate that word because it makes people think of starving or limitations), or better yet, what is your eating plan?
Do you have a goal for a bf%? I'm not the expert on reaching goals, but I've found that they are easier to reach if you have clear ones.
And last, what are you gonna do if you win?
Let's get s.m.a.r.t. with your goals

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here we go!!!

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Gf is here till tomorrow. Good weekend off before this all begins. Dinner and a movie tonight! Tomorrow I'll be active once again.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just this one break then down to biddness....

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
In bud

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Thanks guys. Working a few 8 hour shifts ina row so I'll be lifting at night times. Plan on simply trying to cut carbs and calories while adding some athletic training in there. Gonna hit the bag tonight after chest lifts.

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Chest Day
Bench press:
140x5
190x5
210x5
190x5
190x5
160x10
160x10

Dumbbell chest flyes:
3x35x12

Incline/Decline Pushups superset
3 sets of 10 each

Incline dumbbell presses:
2 sets of 10- 40lbs

Wheel of Death: knee position
3 sets of 10

Decline Ab Curls:
3 sets of 15

Front and Side Planks
1 set - 60 seconds each

Hit a chest day and threw in some core after it. Wheel of Death is a killer workout. I do it from the knee position and still struggle with full extensions but I'm new to it so it's expected. Gonna try to shape my abs and obliques which I have honestly never really fully attempted. Just planning on implementing different core workouts to shape it up, can't really say I know what I'm doing but ya gotta start somewhere. Hiit sprints tomorrow way before my back workout which will be later on. Feelin good!

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I normally do weighted rope crunches on cables, hanging leg raises, flutter kicks and that's about it. Sometimes ab wheel but it doesn't do the trick for me any more really.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
on WOD, I've found the key to be serious mind-muscle connection..
can do them from both standing and kneed position, but really - if you are doing them to perfect form, there may be no need for standing
make sure the ass does not drop below your back at any time, keep the back as flat as possible, mind-muscle focus to use the arms simply to balance on and not to aid the movement, and when drawing back FOCUS on using those abs to pull it in, flexing thruout

love these things!

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Very intense mind muscle connection. I was so focused during this workout and really had to feel it out. At the end of the 3rd set I just started laughing on the floor because this **** really got me going lol and put me to the test. Got me some steaks and ground beef for the week. I'm planning on cooking the ground beef and bringing it to work to eat in a container all week so I avoid bad weis food. Late night eats last night at like 12, this weis steak cooked on my George foreman was better than the steak I got at Applebees the other night.

ForumRunner_20130625_105509.png

ForumRunner_20130625_105522.png

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
on the ground beef - 80/20 is a ton of fat to take in, even on the foreman - and if you are eating any higher amount of this (8oz 1-2x daily or more) that satfat can add up in a HURRY!
you may want to look at the lower fat stuff, like sirloin (90 or 93%), or even 96% (can be had a weis I am sure, tho I don't have one in my area)..I usually go top sirloin for the steaks as well, pretty lean cut - altho my fav for taste is most definitely a nice fillet no contest there

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lean ground Turkey and ground chicken could also be an option if you are wanting convenience.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
on the ground beef - 80/20 is a ton of fat to take in, even on the foreman - and if you are eating any higher amount of this (8oz 1-2x daily or more) that satfat can add up in a HURRY!
you may want to look at the lower fat stuff, like sirloin (90 or 93%), or even 96% (can be had a weis I am sure, tho I don't have one in my area)..I usually go top sirloin for the steaks as well, pretty lean cut - altho my fav for taste is most definitely a nice fillet no contest there
Yep top Sirloin has a good flavor to it as well.

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Yeah normally I get 96% ground beef but when I clocked out last night at 9 there was only one thing of ground beef left and it was the 80%. I'm only eating it once a day pretty much though so it wont be too bad. Yeah top sirloin is good! I am also looking for convenience, ground turkey will probably be good on my foreman. I don't like chicken cooked on there, I just can't get it right! Tastes rubbery and gross but nething less will be undercooked.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh no doubt - love it!
jus sayin, filet mignon made right = mmmmmm :food:
Go to costco and pic up a whole tenderloin trim it and you have really cheap filet mignon to feed an arrmy.... with the left over bits skewer it. Great trick whne expecting guests.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah normally I get 96% ground beef but when I clocked out last night at 9 there was only one thing of ground beef left and it was the 80%. I'm only eating it once a day pretty much though so it wont be too bad. Yeah top sirloin is good! I am also looking for convenience, ground turkey will probably be good on my foreman. I don't like chicken cooked on there, I just can't get it right! Tastes rubbery and gross but nething less will be undercooked.
Ahhhh the chicken trick. Here is what you do. If they were whole breasts that are thick cut them halfway through longways on one side then halfway through shortways on the other side. Flip them very often as we'll. Don't freeze them before you cook em either. Also don't press down on the foreman lid if you do that. Don't.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
^^ nice - except you should only have to flip once ~ halfway thru cooking time

soldier - I will not eat 80/20, at any time..ewwww
srs, cannot stand that greezy taste

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^ nice - except you should only have to flip once ~ halfway thru cooking time

soldier - I will not eat 80/20, at any time..ewwww
srs, cannot stand that greezy taste
On mine it willl burn them if ii don't flip em regular. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's bronchitis got to do iwth flippin burgers and why are you cookin on a foreman grill in the summer :(

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
What's bronchitis got to do iwth flippin burgers and why are you cookin on a foreman grill in the summer :(
I have a low tolerance for waiting for food. All I grill up on the foreman takes me 5 minutes tops. Don't feel like using my dad's charcoal and spending 20 minutes to make some food! I must say, I am a lot better at using my foreman now then I was before. And snags, as for the 80%.. it was good :D

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
Im in to check in on this log. My wife and I joined the challenge as well. Good luck to you sir. I hope you reach all your goals!!!

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Im in to check in on this log. My wife and I joined the challenge as well. Good luck to you sir. I hope you reach all your goals!!!
Hey, you too! And thanks for following. Doing this for fun with a competitive edge to it, thought it should be interesting to try.

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Bent over barbell rows:
Warm-up: Just the bar x 10
120x10
130x10
2x150x5
130x10
120x10

Hyperextensions:
3x35x15

Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes:
3x35x15

Dumbbell rows:
3x40x10

Boxing Heavybag:
Warm-up jabs
4, 2-minute intervals
2 minute breaks in between

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
rear delt flyes w/ 35lb'ers for sets of 15? dang
if you are doing these w/ mind-muscle focus, that's pretty good!

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
rear delt flyes w/ 35lb'ers for sets of 15? dang
if you are doing these w/ mind-muscle focus, that's pretty good!
Sounds nice doesn't it? Nah I only did 2 sets of 15 with questionable form. I Normally do these with 30lbs and tried to up the weight today. No fly zone, fleight was cancelled :damnit1:

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
maybe drop down to 15 or 20lb'ers and go slower tempo with a slight pause in the top position
run these for couple sets of 12-15 and report back :)

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
maybe drop down to 15 or 20lb'ers and go slower tempo with a slight pause in the top position
run these for couple sets of 12-15 and report back :)
Agreed. Lookin cool with good form is way more beneficial than lookin cool with big weight.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
^^ lol

wellll - are we bodybuilding and shaping the body, or are we powerlifting?

pick a goal....it's a damn transformation contest, not a strongman competition!

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^ lol

wellll - are we bodybuilding and shaping the body, or are we powerlifting?

pick a goal....it's a damn transformation contest, not a strongman competition!
Don't get me wrong now, I love me some strongman stuff. Those guys are amazing. Thing is, when you watch the good ones you notice that even they succeed through impeccable form. Once you get your form perfected, much easier to measure your true ability to move a certain weight. Funny thing is, you can manipulate how heavy a weight feels by changing the tempo of a movement. It's all in how you approach the movement itself.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Don't get me wrong now, I love me some strongman stuff. Those guys are amazing. Thing is, when you watch the good ones you notice that even they succeed through impeccable form. Once you get your form perfected, much easier to measure your true ability to move a certain weight. Funny thing is, you can manipulate how heavy a weight feels by changing the tempo of a movement. It's all in how you approach the movement itself.
indeed
many (MANY) factors you can tweak, to sustain growth and keep things rolling..heavy weight is but one of them!
I am of the very firm .02 however, when I train ppl myself, that I teach them mind-muscle connection right off the top; once they feel that, and understand it, then we can go with other parameters and protocols
slinging weights just to sling weights, with no kind of sense of really what you are doing or understanding what direction your approach is going in..
worthless endeavor, may as well go read a book

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read books about how to sling weights. :)

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I read books about how to sling weights. :)
well, you're a damn beastie

i'm not saying that everyone wants to look like a bb'er - but, the vast majority of ppl who come to me for training do indeed have goals that are conducive with bb'ing philosophy, like adding some muscle/losing some fat/shaping the body etc
(evry1 wants dat V look..me, I like the X-shape myself) ;)

if you think you aer going to do that slinging weights around with no direction and no dietary discretion..good luck :nono:

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Kai Greene says, "im a bodybuilder, I'll never be a weightlifter" but yeah the form was off when I went up in weight. Just trying things out. I like the sound of lowering the weight and squeezing, sounds killer for rear db flyes.

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
On a side note.. I'll be 21 in 3 days >.> Irishsoldier wants to try an Irish Carbomb

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kai Greene says, "im a bodybuilder, I'll never be a weightlifter" but yeah the form was off when I went up in weight. Just trying things out. I like the sound of lowering the weight and squeezing, sounds killer for rear db flyes.
Rear delts are such a short muscle so if you are not getting really strong contractions you are wasting your time.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Except for Rear Delt Swing Destroyers! Well even those have to be in good form but the whole idea there is to swing weights. Just a different form that to the untrained eye would probably look like piss poor form. On those if you don't have mind muscle connection you will know because the weights will hit each other. However yes by and by good form and mind muscle connection is where it is at!

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
I think in a few months time my back will begin to rly look badass. It already looks a lot better. Just walking around casually I am starting to feel like I got a badass back haha, you guys probably know the feeling well

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So often I wonder when I see people in the gym ... what are they trying to accomplish ? Most are really not doing what they need to do to induce and kind of muscle growth and have no idea how to shape there body. I was looking at ths very attractive girl today thinking she needs to widen here back and shoulders to make here waist look smaller. She was doing bent over rows on the smith and not all that well. I try to avoid telling people what they should be doing but was tempted to ask her what her goals were cuz I knew I could help her.