Time to MonteGROW like a Finaflex Freak!

Page 54 of 87 First ... 49525354555659 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Here you go... Dave Tate teaching it.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/256911-kleen-cuts-back.html

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I do not like that open grip he's using....
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I do not use an open grip but love the straight up and down motion is is like a stronger version of a skull crusher when you do them.
    Current Log:
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.51%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Nothing wrong with close grip at all. I say work with what suits ya best.

I like a medium grip (ring finger on the ring for a guy my size) and keep the elbow tucked well to focus on the chest and keep too much off the shoulders. I too learned from issues early on.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    I do not use an open grip but love the straight up and down motion is is like a stronger version of a skull crusher when you do them.
    Yah I see he uses both grips, seriously though the open grip has killed people.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.11%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

The open grip looks really tough...
    FINAFLEX REP
    Visit our website at finaflex.com
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Quote Originally Posted by wasme View Post
    The open grip looks really tough...
    Were thinking really kind of dumb too...
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I use open grip when I bench.
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    yup, me too
    in fact, use this grip on about every single thing I do - even reverse-curls most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    Were thinking really kind of dumb too...
    that's kind of a dumb statement to make
    just because you cannot/do not do it, does not make it stupid for someone else who can

...aaand? so what?
    I can show you retarded car accidents too, where it was OPERATOR error most often due to lack of paying attention..
    ppl have been known to do the most goofy things, sometimes
    it still does not make it "unsafe" for those who are versed in it, aware of what they are doing, and proficient with such grip

would I teach/advise this grip to one of my trainees? of course not, that would not be a good course to go..
    but I tell you what: if you were ever to walk by me while I am training and say something about my grip being "stupid", there would be no hesitation in my coming unglued on you
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.51%

Open grip is something that I don't think is safe, but can be done safely, espeically if that's how you always lift. I wouldn't walk into the day and try and max out with an open grip when I have never trained like that before.

On another note, a tight grip using the thumb helps engage secondary muscles for more power. So as long as you have your wrist position and weight distribution right theoretically you should be a little stronger closed grip.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    Open grip is something that I don't think is safe, but can be done safely, espeically if that's how you always lift. I wouldn't walk into the day and try and max out with an open grip when I have never trained like that before.

On another note, a tight grip using the thumb helps engage secondary muscles for more power. So as long as you have your wrist position and weight distribution right theoretically you should be a little stronger closed grip.
    precisely - all about perspective
    i do not "max out", period..why would i? does not fit nor suit my training style
    but i have maxed out bench before -- no spotter, ~425 on the bar -- and i certainly used the same grip i am accustomed and used to using (and still did it for more than 1 rep)

but i guess therein may lie the issue: i train alone, not with a partner so have no spotter..is slightly different when you are racking/unracking iron from the bar with no assistance & not being handed weight
    even when i do have a spotter on the rare occasions tho - still use my same ol grip, just how i roll
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Agree with all. Maybe it's just me, but I feel it's easier for me to focus on the chest and feel it better by taking some of the muscles required for a closed hand grip out of the equation. To be totally honest though, if I were to bench heavy enough to require a spot, I would use closed grip.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

i'm sitting here scratching my brain, running thru exercises and thinking what there is i wrap my thumb around on..all i can think of is cable pulldowns, and this ab roller..sometimes some DB work (actually there are a few here w/ DBs)
    maybe there is something else, but i'll be damned if i can think of it right now
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    i'm sitting here scratching my brain, running thru exercises and thinking what there is i wrap my thumb around on..all i can think of is cable pulldowns, and this ab roller..maybe there is something else, but i'll be damned if i can think of it right now
    Upright rows?
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

Upright rows?
    nope, thumbs are going out to side, don't wrap
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

nope, thumbs are going out to side, don't wrap
    Long distance phone calls?
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

speakerphone
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

waiting for the first wise-guy to ask me what grip i use to jac.... oh n/m, maybe i won't be asked that question here
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%

waiting for the first wise-guy to ask me what grip i use to jac.... oh n/m, maybe i won't be asked that question here
    Wouldn't the response be... "No I actually have to use two hands!"

The only problem with the false grip is the chance of the golgi tendon reflex to force the arm straight causing the bar to be dumped. It has to do with being overstretched under too much weight. Not really a freak issue, but is considered unsafe and is not often taught by those who could be held liable for teaching it that way. Like you said though Snags, since you don't have anyone unrack the weight for you you are controlling the stretch and and of course proper hand placement in that grip applies more tension across the bone and not overstretching the tendon. However to teach it to a novice, not the best way to do it. If you learn the other way and develop the wrist strength you can push as much if not more but the reason for people lifting less when switching to a full grip is often wrist strength which comes up pretty quickly. Not too many things we do have us strengthen the back side of the wrists which is needed to stabilize during the lift if done with a closed grip.

I found my elbow tendonitis got better using the full grip because I was stretching the tendon less under weight which is part of why I swear by it now. However most of my pulling is done with a false grip and when I press on a machine you can be sure it is a false grip.
    Current Log:
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.51%

i'm sitting here scratching my brain, running thru exercises and thinking what there is i wrap my thumb around on..all i can think of is cable pulldowns, and this ab roller..sometimes some DB work (actually there are a few here w/ DBs)
    maybe there is something else, but i'll be damned if i can think of it right now

you must be a real man if you DL with an open grip. clean too? LOL. just messin with ya.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I was ACTUALLY planning on asking as soon as I caught up. Ooh the excitement was building and I was getting all giddy thinking that I had a good one. And then you just went and stole my thunder like that. Oh well... so what grip DO you use to Jack off? Since you brought it up. XD
    Where it all started

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/35-older/217572-one-can-never.html
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

Wouldn't the response be... "No I actually have to use two hands!"
    i was tryin to be modest
    The only problem with the false grip is the chance of the golgi tendon reflex to force the arm straight causing the bar to be dumped. It has to do with being overstretched under too much weight. Not really a freak issue, but is considered unsafe and is not often taught by those who could be held liable for teaching it that way. Like you said though Snags, since you don't have anyone unrack the weight for you you are controlling the stretch and and of course proper hand placement in that grip applies more tension across the bone and not overstretching the tendon. However to teach it to a novice, not the best way to do it. If you learn the other way and develop the wrist strength you can push as much if not more but the reason for people lifting less when switching to a full grip is often wrist strength which comes up pretty quickly. Not too many things we do have us strengthen the back side of the wrists which is needed to stabilize during the lift if done with a closed grip.

I found my elbow tendonitis got better using the full grip because I was stretching the tendon less under weight which is part of why I swear by it now. However most of my pulling is done with a false grip and when I press on a machine you can be sure it is a false grip.
    good stuff, insightful (as usual of course)
    and yeah - been lifting weights since i was 12, long as i can remember i been using this same grip..
    but as i said earlier - i surely do not teach it, and when queried by my trainees (if they even notice to begin with ) i simply bypass it with an offhand remark and say it's not something i would incorporate if i was them

other than that, i really do not think too much about it..is like second nature

you must be a real man if you DL with an open grip. clean too? LOL. just messin with ya.

but of course, knew there was something i was forgetting..all that went thru my mind was squats; i spose if i did front squats i would use different grip as well

Quote Originally Posted by 1ifeblood View Post
    I was ACTUALLY planning on asking as soon as I caught up. Ooh the excitement was building and I was getting all giddy thinking that I had a good one. And then you just went and stole my thunder like that. Oh well... so what grip DO you use to Jack off? Since you brought it up. XD
    meh..damn Iowans
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

I only wrap my thumb around on heavier shoulder presses and bench upwards of 275. Oh and heavy rack/full deads.

Everything else is open. Not using my thumbs has increased my back muscle activation greatly. And builds my forearms without addition work.

And I workout alone 75% of the time
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by StephenGarcia View Post

And I workout alone 75% of the time
    I always work out alone most of the time.
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.86%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I only wrap thumbs when practicing competition grips (like today), otherwise I do all presses with open grip.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

Here you go... Dave Tate teaching it.Video Link: http://youtu.be/I2ElVaNFltQ
    This is how I do my "CG BP" didn't know they had a name. I do it this way to alleviate shoulder pain. Reg bench the wider I go the better it feels

Exactly

Me too

Lol

speakerphone
    Perfect

No comment
    Independent
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

multi-quote specialist beans there LOL

and - i'm glad to see I am
    a) not the only one who trains solo regularly; and
    b) not the only dumb one using open grip

I always work out alone most of the time.
    I am exactly the same, only different
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I always train alone. And I always use open grip. Word to ya motha.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.42%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Have to use both hands on that one
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

I used to usie an open grip on bench but when I saw the accidents I stopped, it's true that I never felt any danger but some of the accidents were competitive power lifters who'd looked pretty established. I just thought why risk it. Seemed kind of dumb to me at the time to risk myself to get a few extra lbs on my lift. This was only for banch I use open grip where I see no risk. You say you can do it without risk I believe you and I am pretty sure I could to but I don't see any additional benefit that warrants any risk no matter how small. I did have to get used to full grip though which took a bit of time.
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.12%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Tricep day. Did four sets of dumbbell hammer curls just to get the blood in there. Continuing with my evening strategy.

Barbell Close Grip Bench Press
    Set 1 : 185.0x15
    Set 2 : 235.0x14
    Set 3 : 275.0x9
    Set 4 : 285.0x8
    |
    Cable Triceps Pushdown
    Set 1 : 150.0x12
    Set 2 : 150.0x12
    Set 3 : 160.0x9
    Set 4 : 160.0x8
    |
    Laying Triceps Extension
    Set 1 : 70.0x14
    Set 2 : 70.0x13
    Set 3 : 70.0x12
    Set 4 : 70.0x12
    |
    Cybex Triceps Extension
    Set 1 : 90.0x15
    Set 2 : 90.0x15
    Set 3 : 90.0x12
    Set 4 : 90.0x12
    Is this the order you do the exercises?
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%

Yes sir

34. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%

1scoop IGNITE 2.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

seriously?? good lawd man..you crazy
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%

seriously?? good lawd man..you crazy
    That's what a scoop is supposed to look like isn't it?

37. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%

That's what a scoop is supposed to look like isn't it?
    gives new definition to the term "rounded scoop"
    for comparison, I only use a flat scoop, maybe a smidgen taller than top edge of scooper
  38. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.11%

He's from Texas, go big or go home !!! lol
    FINAFLEX REP
    Visit our website at finaflex.com
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.23%

1scoop IGNITE 2.........
    Whoa!
  40. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

1scoop IGNITE 2.........
    This is quite possibly the funniest pic I have seen in a while.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
  2. Replies: 420
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 12:49 AM
  4. Looks like it might be time to stock up
    By Tomahawk88 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
  5. Time to take the plunge