Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Clin Ther. 2009 Jan;31(1):115-22.
Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Blood pressure-lowering effects of extended-release niacin alone and extended-release niacin/laropiprant combination: A post hoc analysis of a 24-week, placebo-controlled trial in dyslipidemic patients.

Bays HE, Maccubbin D, Meehan AG, Kuznetsova O, Mitchel YB, Paolini JF.

Louisville Metabolic and Atherosclerosis Research Center Inc., Louisville, Kentucky, USA.

Background: Dyslipidemia and high blood pressure are both major cardiovascular disease risk factors. Niacin is an effective lipid-altering agent that has been reported to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. However, the more widespread use of niacin is limited, mainly due to the occurrence of flushing. Laropiprant (LRPT) is a selective antagonist of prostaglandin D(2) receptor subtype 1 that reduces extended-release niacin (ERN)-induced flushing without affecting its beneficial lipid effects. While the lipid effects of ERN are well known, the blood pressure effects are unclear. Objective: The aim of this analysis was to examine the blood pressure effects of ERN and ERN/LRPT. Methods: This was a post hoc analysis of a 24-week, worldwide, multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel, Phase III, previously published study of dyslipidemic patients, which examined the effect of ERN and ERN/LRPT on systolic blood pressure (SBP) and diastolic blood pressure (DBP). Results: A total of 1613 men and women, aged 21 to 85 years, with primary hypercholesterolemia or mixed dyslipidemia (66% on statins), were included in the original analysis. ERN alone, or in combination with LRPT, was associated with significant reductions in SBP and DBP at 24 weeks from baseline. The placebo-adjusted mean changes from baseline at week 24 in SBP were -2.2 and -3.1 mm Hg for the ERN and ERN/LRPT groups, respectively (P < 0.05 and P < 0.001). Similar changes in DBP were observed; -2.7 and -2.5 mm Hg in the ERN and ERN/ LRPT groups, respectively (both, P < 0.001). Conclusion: This post hoc analysis of a 24-week trial found that ERN alone, or in combination with LRPT, was associated with significant placebo-adjusted reductions from baseline in blood pressure in these hyperlipidemic hypertensive or normotensive subjects.

PMID: 19243712 [PubMed - in process]

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm but what are the sides from taking LRPT. I think I'll just take my flushing Niacin. I wonder what the demand for bulk niacin is like; I know a few people have asked for it, would probably be pretty easy to source.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The LBRT is not required for the BP lowering effects...and it is there for the, pretty harmless, flushing effect.

I do notice they used Time-released Niacin.

Niacin is pretty cheap, though...I want to play with it as a topical.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you done any alpha tests w/ it as a topical? The localized flushing might be uncomfortable, as a speculation.
Not yet...maybe if you losers had Bulk Niacin. :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting study. I wonder what mechanism it acts upon in affecting vascular tone here.

The flushing effect is harmless, but it does freak some people out. I would think that transdermal delivery would potentiate that effect in ways due to the delivery. I like the idean though, matt; if flushing can somehow be attenuated in that delivery, it would be a winner for certain.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting study. I wonder what mechanism it acts upon in affecting vascular tone here.

The flushing effect is harmless, but it does freak some people out. I would think that transdermal delivery would potentiate that effect in ways due to the delivery. I like the idean though, matt; if flushing can somehow be attenuated in that delivery, it would be a winner for certain.
I know a major problem for me is massive temple throbbing.

I wanted to try a transdermal on the temple area to see if those stress/BO headaches can be ameliorated.

I have no idea on mechanism..keep your eyes peeled.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established

I wanted to try a transdermal on the temple area to see if those stress/BO headaches can be ameliorated.

keep us updated....interesting

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

If i come across anything i'll pass it along for certain.