Oats as flour

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Ive had this crazy idea to take steel cut oats and use them as you would use "enriched white flour". I havent tried it out yet, but im assuming you would lose some of the benefits of the oats by processing them.

Anyone tried this?

choco

Awards
i do this ! because oats are much better carbs than maltodextrin, so im mixing them into my protein shake !!

man, what do you think will happen with the steel cut oats when you make flour from them ? nothing, they are only not so big as they where before :nono: all nutrients will be the same and the weight will be too !!

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the post, i know the nutritional value will not change, however the hormonal effect from your body might. Oats dont cause a high realease of insulin due there bulky and fiborous nature. I would imagine however since you are dramatically increasing the surface area of the oats you might also change (however it could be slight) the glycemic index.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
GI would increase somehow, but not that much I guess.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The particle size of oats does not affect the GI.

bbuck

Awards
As the oats have already been broken down. The digestion process would be quicker, causing a faster rise in the GI index. But I have not seen any studies stateing how much.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Thats what i though BBuk. If anyone knows how much, it would be appreciated.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
i do this ! because oats are much better carbs than maltodextrin, so im mixing them into my protein shake !!

man, what do you think will happen with the steel cut oats when you make flour from them ? nothing, they are only not so big as they where before :nono: all nutrients will be the same and the weight will be too !!

Choco, you should definetly use a Hi-Gylcemic carb in your protein shake (PWO). Using the oats would be good for morning but after your workout you want a spike of the all the nice little IGFs and Intrinsic Factors.

Try Lime Gatorade mix in Chocolate Protein.

Hi GI + Salt rejuve + Protein = Swollen You

Jakspro

Awards
Choco, you should definetly use a Hi-Gylcemic carb in your protein shake (PWO). Using the oats would be good for morning but after your workout you want a spike of the all the nice little IGFs and Intrinsic Factors.

Try Lime Gatorade mix in Chocolate Protein.

Hi GI + Salt rejuve + Protein = Swollen You

Person dependent, i've used both Hi GI carbs and Low GI carbs post, and for me i look thicker with ALOT less bloat when i go Low GI...

Actually not low, but mid GI to be completely fair.

And if you do grind your oats it will increase your GI, there is a study on it over at AR i believe.

Also oats aren't that low to begin with, i believe around 40ish and i think the cut off to mid GI is 50ish. But again, whatever works for you.

Oh, and for getting back to topic, i think its a solution for enriched flour, just dont make it the staple of your diet.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Why not just use whole stone ground wheat flour??

Last edited:

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I buy the big box of quaker oats from Costco and grind them up in a coffee grinder. They get nice and fine, though I don't know how well they'd work in replacement of flour.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As the oats have already been broken down. The digestion process would be quicker, causing a faster rise in the GI index. But I have not seen any studies stateing how much.
Posted by Bobo:

Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. Insulin responses were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal. The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

Also see this thread: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/41486-why-no-powdered-oats.html?highlight=oats+particle+size+GI

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I buy the big box of quaker oats from Costco and grind them up in a coffee grinder. They get nice and fine, though I don't know how well they'd work in replacement of flour.
I'm not sure where she's buys it, but my mom buys oat flour (probably a health food store). It's the exact same consistancy as regular flour. I steel it from her everyonce in a while and use it when I make smoothies. I like it much better than using oats from the coffee bean grinder. You can't even tell it's in the shake.

drumirvin

Awards
I do the whole grinding of the oats (1 cup) and mix 11 egg whites, splenda, cinnamon, and a lil' vanilla and BAM...instant pancakes...add a wee bit of diabetic syrup and it's cheat meal every morning. I take the splenda, cinnamon, and vanilla out and make the mixture a bit runnier with water, and make fake tortilla shells. Roll em up with chicken, avocado, vegi's and add in some fat fee enchilada sauce (bake at 350 degrees for 15 min) oh and add fat free cheese on top...and you are eating a fake mexican dish...When your hungry you can event all sorts of stuff..I have not tried making cookies with the "flour" yet...but maybe that will be my next go around.