RED KIDNEY BEANS WHO EATS EM?

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I love kidney beans. my kids are like a bunch of hobos. they can live off kidney beans!
add
cajun seasoning
oldbay
pepper
oregano
red pepper
margarine/butter
white wine
a few splashes of worchestershire sauce
bring to a boil reduce heat to a simmer.
and BAM!
done

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Beans are good but I think I've only had red kidney beans in the army. We had these chilli con carne tins or chemical weapon as we called it :D

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love adding beans to qunona, rice, wheat berries, bulgar, etc. I prefer chick peas over red beans. I am currently using red beans though.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

[quote name="Cruefan89" post=1144887]
Benefit?[/QUOTE]

This chart graphically details the %DV that a serving of Kidney beans provides for each of the nutrients of which it is a good, very good, or excellent source according to our Food Rating System. Additional information about the amount of these nutrients provided by Kidney beans can be found in the*Food Rating System Chart. A link that takes you to the In-Depth Nutritional Profile for Kidney beans, featuring information over 80 nutrients, can be found under the Food Rating System Chart.

Health Benefits

Description

History

Individual Concerns

References

Health Benefits

Kidney beans are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, as are most other beans. In addition to lowering cholesterol, kidney beans' high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia. When combined with whole grains such as rice, kidney beans provide virtually fat-free high quality protein. But this is far from all kidney beans have to offer. Kidney beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral, molybdenum, an integral component of the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for detoxifying sulfites. Sulfites are a type of preservative commonly added to prepared foods like delicatessen salads and salad bars. Persons who are sensitive to sulfites in these foods may experience rapid heartbeat, headache or disorientation if sulfites are unwittingly consumed. If you have ever reacted to sulfites, it may be because your molybdenum stores are insufficient to detoxify them.

A Fiber All Star

Check a chart of the fiber content in foods and you'll see legumes leading the pack. Kidney beans, like other beans, are rich in soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that binds with bile (which contains cholesterol)and ferries it out of the body. Research studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.

Lower Your Heart Attack Risk

In a study that examined food intake patterns and risk of death from coronary heart disease, researchers followed more than 16,000 middle-aged men in the U.S., Finland, The Netherlands, Italy, former Yugoslavia, Greece and Japan for 25 years. Typical food patterns were: higher consumption of dairy products in Northern Europe; higher consumption of meat in the U.S.; higher consumption of vegetables, legumes, fish, and wine in Southern Europe; and higher consumption of cereals, soy products, and fish in Japan. When researchers analyzed this data in relation to the risk of death from heart disease, they found that higher legume consumption was associated with a whopping 82% reduction in risk!

A study published in the*Archives of Internal Medicine*confirms that eating high fiber foods, such as kidney beans, helps prevent heart disease. Almost 10,000 American adults participated in this study and were followed for 19 years. People eating the most fiber, 21 grams per day, had 12% less coronary heart disease (CHD) and 11% less cardiovascular disease (CVD) compared to those eating the least, 5 grams daily. Those eating the most water-soluble dietary fiber fared even better with a 15% reduction in risk of CHD and a 10% risk reduction in CVD.

Kidney beans' contribution to heart health lies not just in their fiber, but in the significant amounts of*folate*and*magnesium*these beans supply. Folate helps lower levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is an intermediate product in an important metabolic process called the methylation cycle. Elevated blood levels of homocysteine are an independent risk factor for heart attack, stroke, or peripheral vascular disease, and are found in between 20-40% of patients with heart disease. It has been estimated that consumption of 100% of the daily value (DV) of folate would, by itself, reduce the number of heart attacks suffered by Americans each year by 10%. Kidney beans are a very good source of folate.

Kidney beans' good supply of magnesium puts yet another plus in the column of its beneficial cardiovascular effects. Magnesium is Nature's own calcium channel blocker. When there is enough magnesium around, veins and arteries breathe a sigh of relief and relax, which lessens resistance and improves the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. Studies show that a deficiency of magnesium is not only associated with heart attack but that immediately following a heart attack, lack of sufficient magnesium promotes free radical injury to the heart. Want to literally keep your heart happy?

Kidney Beans Give You Energy to Burn While Stabilizing Blood Sugar

In addition to its beneficial effects on the digestive system and the heart, soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels. If you have insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, kidney beans can really help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy. Studies of high fiber diets and blood sugar levels have shown the dramatic benefits provided by these high fiber foods. Researchers compared two groups of people with type 2 diabetes who were fed different amounts of high fiber foods. One group ate the standard American Diabetic diet, which contained 24 grams of fiber/day, while the other group ate a diet containing 50 grams of fiber/day. Those who ate the diet higher in fiber had lower levels of both plasma glucose (blood sugar) and insulin (the hormone that helps blood sugar get into cells). The high fiber group also reduced their total cholesterol by nearly 7%, their triglyceride levels by 10.2% and their VLDL (Very Low Density Lipoprotein—the most dangerous form of cholesterol) levels by 12.5%.

Iron for Energy

In addition to providing slow burning complex carbohydrates, kidney beans can increase your energy by helping to replenish your iron stores. Particularly for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency, boosting iron stores with kidney beans is a good idea—especially because, unlike red meat, another source of iron, kidney beans are low in calories and virtually fat-free. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is also part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism. And remember: If you're pregnant or lactating, your needs for iron increase. Growing children and adolescents also have increased needs for iron.

Maintain Your Memory with Thiamin (Vitamin B1)

Thiamin*participates in enzymatic reactions central to energy production and is also critical for brain cell/cognitive function. This is because thiamin is needed for the synthesis of*acetylcholine, the important neurotransmitter essential for memory and whose lack has been found to be a significant contributing factor in age-related impairment in mental function (senility) and Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's disease is clinically characterized by a decrease in acetylcholine levels.

Manganese for Energy Production and Antioxidant Defense

Kidney beans are a good source of the trace mineral*manganese*which is an essential cofactor in a number of enzymes important in energy production and antioxidant defenses. For example, the key oxidative enzyme superoxide dismutase, which disarms free radicals produced within the mitochondria (the energy production factories within our cells), requires manganese.

Protein Power Plus

If you're wondering how to replace red meat in your menus, become a fan of kidney beans. These hearty beans are a good source of protein, and when combined with a whole grain such as whole wheat pasta or brown rice provide protein comparable to that of meat or dairy foods without the high calories or saturated fat found in these foods. And, when you get your protein from kidney beans, you also get the blood sugar stabilizing and heart health benefits of the soluble fiber provided by these versatile legumes. A cup of kidney beans provides over 15 grams of protein.

Description

Just as its name suggests, the kidney bean is shaped like a kidney. Since these dark red beans hold their shape really well during cooking and readily absorb surrounding flavors, they are a favorite bean to use in simmered dishes. Kidney beans that are white in color are known as cannellini beans.

History

Kidney beans and other beans such as pinto beans, navy beans and black beans are known scientifically as*Phaseolus vulgaris. They are referred to as "common beans" probably owing to the fact that they all derived from a common bean ancestor that originated in Peru.

They spread throughout South and Central America as a result of migrating Indian traders who brought kidney beans with them from Peru. Beans were introduced into Europe in the 15th century by Spanish explorers returning from their voyages to the New World.

Subsequently, Spanish and Portuguese traders introduced kidney beans into Africa and Asia. As beans are a very inexpensive form of good protein, they have become popular in many cultures throughout the world. Today, the largest commercial producers of dried common beans are India, China, Indonesia, Brazil and the United States.
Individual Concern

Oxalate Content

Kidney beans have consistently been determined to have high oxalate content. Oxalates are naturally occurring organic acids found in a wide variety of foods, and in the case of certain medical conditions, they must be greatly restricted in a meal plan to prevent over-accumulation inside the body. Our*comprehensive article about oxalates*will provide you with practical and detailed information about these organic acids, food, and health.

Kidney Beans and Phytohemagglutinin

In raw form, kidney beans can contain excessively high amounts of a potentially toxic substance called phytohemagglutinin. This substance is classified as a lectin glycoprotein, and in sufficiently high amounts it has been shown to disrupt cellular metabolism. The amount of this toxin in beans is usually measured in terms of hemagglutinating units, or hau. In their raw form, red kidney beans can contain 20,000 to 70,000 hau. This number drops down to 200 to 400 hau with fully cooked red beans. White kidney beans start off with about 1/3rd less hemagglutinin than red ones.

Nutritional Profile

Kidney beans are an excellent source of molybdenum. They are a very good source of folate, dietary fiber and copper. Kidney beans are a good source of manganese, phosphorus, protein, vitamin B1, iron, potassium and magnesium.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I love kidney beans. my kids are like a bunch of hobos. they can live off kidney beans!
add
cajun seasoning
oldbay
pepper
oregano
red pepper
margarine/butter
white wine
a few splashes of worchestershire sauce
bring to a boil reduce heat to a simmer.
and BAM!
done
Take a ham bone with a good amount of meat on it and put it in a pot add water to cover it and boil for like 15 min, remove the bone and cut all the meat off, add beans garlic and a small can of ? paste and throw the meat back in. Cook for another 15 min, salt n pepper to taste. Serve over small pasta like ditilini. (Pasta fajoli) its awsome. Theres a mil different ways but thats old school poor italian way. I wish i knew exact amounts but my grandma never measured nothing. Once you figure out how much of each you like write it down. I grew up on that shyt

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Take a ham bone with a good amount of meat on it and put it in a pot add water to cover it and boil for like 15 min, remove the bone and cut all the meat off, add beans garlic and a small can of ? paste and throw the meat back in. Cook for another 15 min, salt n pepper to taste. Serve over small pasta like ditilini. (Pasta fajoli) its awsome. Theres a mil different ways but thats old school poor italian way. I wish i knew exact amounts but my grandma never measured nothing. Once you figure out how much of each you like write it down. I grew up on that shyt
haha. that's n
me never measure it its a pinch or a palm full or a few shakes etc.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
add a ham hock please and allow to slow cook on low heat.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
some homemade pasta ***ioli. Sorry most was eaten before taken the pic

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
(pasta ***ioli)

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fajioli. The j should be a g but the site keeps blocking the name.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Take a ham bone with a good amount of meat on it and put it in a pot add water to cover it and boil for like 15 min, remove the bone and cut all the meat off, add beans garlic and a small can of paste and throw the meat back in. Cook for another 15 min, salt n pepper to taste. Serve over small pasta like ditilini. (Pasta fajoli) its awsome. Theres a mil different ways but thats old school poor italian way. I wish i knew exact amounts but my grandma never measured nothing. Once you figure out how much of each you like write it down. I grew up on that shyt
Just made this recipe with a couple modifications and it was bomb af. I used a small bone in steak instead of ham, added some Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Kept everything else the exact same. It was delicious, very easy, cheap, and pretty nutritious actually! Will definitely be making it again.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Another good variation us with a veal shank, white beans and sliced carrots

macedog24

macedog24