Oven "Fried" Fish
- 01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Oven "Fried" Fish
Just tried this one out last night:
4 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets
1 egg white
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Position rack on top shelf in oven.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on top.
- Lightly spray or brush rack with vegetable oil.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels.
- Slice fillets in half lengthwise to form long pieces.
- In a pie plate or wide shallow dish, whisk egg white with buttermilk.
- In another dish, stir flour with bread crumbs, paprika, cayenne and salt.
- Working with 1 piece of fish at a time, lightly coat with flour mixture.
- Shake off excess flour, then dip into buttermilk mixture.
- Turn to evenly coat.
- Shake off excess liquid.
- Coat fish in flour mixture again.
- Shake off excess coating, then place on rack.
- Repeat with remaining fish, 1 piece at a time.
- Discard any remaining buttermilk or flour mixtures.
- Lightly spray fish with oil or, using a brush, lightly dab about 1 tbsp oil as evenly as possible over coating.
- Do not skip this step -- it is essential for crispy fish.
- Bake on top rack of preheated oven until coating is crisp and golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Do not turn.
Personally I'm going to add more cayenne and some black pepper next time.
Fat 8 grams
Carbs 24 grams
Protein 40 grams
I had this with mixed greens and sauteed mushrooms/onions smothered in swiss cheese.
- 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM
- 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM
01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
It is on one of the major networks where entrepreneurs pitch their idea to self made millionars to try and get an investment..Very entertaining
01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Lol nice pun, you must have some good fish lined up then as some of those guys i failed to mention are billionaires albeit some not so nice .
But I see you live in the oil capital of the world you don't need those guys... The home of J.R. Ewing and the Dallas Cowboys which by the way are my favorite team, always have been always will in spite of Jerry Jones. [Don't Mess with Texas]
01-11-2013, 07:48 PM
This recipe would be excellent with Snapper, Grouper, Redfish, Sea Trout and Trigger Fish too.
Similar Forum Threads
- By bigswole30 in forum Supplement AuctionReplies: 0Last Post: 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
- By supah hawaiian in forum RecipesReplies: 1Last Post: 09-21-2005, 02:56 AM
- By Hal in forum General ChatReplies: 8Last Post: 03-27-2003, 08:51 PM
- By Biggs in forum General ChatReplies: 11Last Post: 02-02-2003, 12:31 AM
- By sage in forum General ChatReplies: 7Last Post: 12-20-2002, 10:56 AM