The Better Protein Bars Recipe Thread!

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Veteran

The Better Protein Bars Recipe Thread!

All right, kids, let's see those ideas and recipes for making the most delicious and/or healthy protein bars you've got!

The directions on the Better Protein Bars are pretty straight forward, simple, and make amazing tasting protein bars. However, there are still different ways we can all whip these up to meet specific macro requirements or different taste bud preferences, too.

The only flavor I've still tried (because I love it so much lol) is the sour apple. I just whipped up another batch last night, and let me tell you what I did different from previous times. I previously only used half the amount of honey that is called for in order to cut down the sugar content a bit. However, while my body is in a state of being screwed up (lol), I'm going to enjoy taste a little more, so I went with the full 3/4 Cup of honey. I added a bit more water, too - probably double the amount called for. After I got it mixed up in the bowl to a texture I liked (using a butter knife), I had a couple bites just to make sure it tasted up to par (delicious) and then, rather than scoop it into the square container I use to cut the bars up, I left it in the bowl and stuck it in the refrigerator. Yep, I'm just going to munch on a bit here and there that way lol. And it's super delicious.

What I've found amazing in the past, too, is using just a bit of sugar free or fat free (your call) Cool Whip to dip the protein bars in afterward - gives an amazing synergistic taste with the sour apple.

I've got some original peanut butter that I'll fix over the weekend. I may experiment with some other options when making them.

I've seen some great ideas in other threads discussing using agents to thicken, cut down on calories, etc. Let's see those all here - in one location for users to make the most out of their Better Protein Bars
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I substituted 1:1 Agave Nectar in place of honey for Chocolate Raspberry bars. They taste great! In fact, I might just go get one in a minute!
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I really like the idea a guy had.. Made the Protein balls with the sour apple. Looked really good. His thread is up here somewhere.

I suppose we could post all the recipes Nate has posted over at **** too? There's a bunch!

I like to basically just mix em as the directions say. If I'm bulking I will add extra PB to them for more calories. Maybe extra honey too

I also like to use little to no water. I've found even a 1/4 is too much sometimes they turn out a bit mushy...
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.62%

Are there "crunchy" (baked or none baked) recipes for them? I've read about them in the past, but I've always made my own... however kinda sick of the soft/gooey consistency. If only there was a way to get home made bars to be like the consistency of store bought lol.
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSurf View Post
    Are there "crunchy" (baked or none baked) recipes for them? I've read about them in the past, but I've always made my own... however kinda sick of the soft/gooey consistency. If only there was a way to get home made bars to be like the consistency of store bought lol.
    Good question.

I would think there are ways to do this. Possibly crunchy natural peanut butter for one, or maybe peanuts, or other nuts. I would think some other items could provide that consistency, but I'm not the most adventurous one in the kitchen, so hopefully someone else can add to this
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.29%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSurf View Post
    what ive done a few times is add psyllium husk(fiber) to the mixture before putting it in the fridge to make them less gooey. also get the extra fiber that way to.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.62%

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadx View Post
    what ive done a few times is add psyllium husk(fiber) to the mixture before putting it in the fridge to make them less gooey. also get the extra fiber that way to.
    Never thought of that, cool. Sure that will help others as plenty of people have posted on trying to get their bars to be like the store bought ones. I've tried adding nuts crushed etc, but the bars still had that gooey texture. Never thought of adding fiber.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Haven't tried baking them, but I'll have to try it out on a bar to see. I only have 1 more chocolate raspberry bar left, so I'll have to try it on the chocolate banana batch I make next.

Probably add less water too, and I may add either Fitness Fiber or Chia Seed.

Good ideas!
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

peanut butter moon reduced calorie/sugar/carb/fat

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free maple syrup,and replace smart balance peanut butter with natural reduced fat peanut butter

Ingredients
    1. pack better protein bars peanut butter moon flavor.
    1 cup sugar free maple syrup
    1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter
    1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free maple sugar. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

1.If after mixing the bars they seem like they are not coming together. Just add a little water and mix again. If you like you can add extra syrup. This will change the macros of the bars but not by much..

2.Its best to mix by hand and just add a little water if they need more moisture. This will not change the taste of the bars or the macros of them ether.

3.You can heat peanut butter for 30 seconds in the microwave before placing it in the bowl. For some this allows them to mix with a spoon and not there hands. This also may help blend the ingredients better.

Nutrition facts

Nutrition facts for original recipe.
    calories 275
    calories from fat 97
    total fat 11g
    saturated fats 2g
    trans fat 0g
    cholesterol 40mg
    sodium 106g
    total carbohydrates 21g
    dietary fiber 3g
    sugar 7g
    protein 24g

In this recipe we have a reduced fat flavor that is lighter and less filling. The maple syrup gives it a less sugary flavor with a hint of maple.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

Better protein bar chocolate almond (chip)

This recipe is made using better protein bars (peanut butter moon) original protein bar pack.

Ingredients
    1 better protein bars peanut butter moon protein pack
    1 cup all natural almond butter
    3/4 cup honey
    7 table spoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup sugar free chocolate chips (optional)

1. Pour protein pack into large mixing bowl. 2,add in cocoa powder,
    chocolate chips (optional) and mix lightly. 3, add almond butter, and honey. 4, With hands mix well till smooth like fudge. 5,place in deep backing dish and spread out evenly. 6, let set in fridge for 30 mins and then cut into 12 evenly sized bars.

Nutrition facts with out chocolate chips

calories 344
    calories from fat 126
    total fat 14g
    saturated fat 2g
    trans fat 0
    cholesterol 0
    sodium 2mg
    total carbohydrates 36
    Dietary fiber 5g
    sugar 24g
    protein 23g

Nutrition facts with chocolate chips
    calories 431
    calories from fat 176
    total fat 19g
    saturated fat 6g
    trans fat 0g
    cholesterol 0g
    sodium 2mg
    total carbohydrates 48g
    Dietary fiber 6g
    sugar 24g
    protein 23g

Tips****
    1.If after mixing the bars they seem like they are not coming together. Just add a a little water and mix again. If you like you can add extra honey but this will change the macros of the bars but not by much..

2.Its best to mix by hand and just add a little water if they need more moisture. This will not change the taste of the bars or the macros of them ether.

3.You can heat up the honey and the Almond butter for 30 seconds each in the microwave before placing them in the bowl. For some this allows them to mix with a spoon and not there hands. This also may help blend the ingredients better.

This recipe has a much different flavor then the original recipe. The almond butter gives it a rich robust flavor, and the cocoa ads a lovely chocolate kick. Adding in the chocolate chips makes them all the more fun to eat and delivers a crunchy chocolate punch with every bite.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

Peanut butter moon reduced sugar reduced fat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBSN5QsShXo

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free imitation honey,and replace smart balance peanut butter with natural reduced fat peanut butter

Ingredients
    1 cup sugar free imitation honey
    1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter
    1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free imitation honey. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

1.If after mixing the bars they seem like they are not coming together. Just add a little water and mix again. If you like you can add extra syrup. This will change the macros of the bars but not by much..

3.You can heat peanut butter for 30 seconds in the microwave before placing it in the bowl. For some this allows them to mix with a spoon and not there hands. This also may help blend the ingredients better.

Nutrition facts

calories 319
    total fat 11g
    saturated fats 2
    trans fat 0
    cholesterol 40mg
    sodium 106mg
    total carbohydrates 36g
    dietary fiber 3g
    sugar 7
    protein 24g

In this recipe you can clearly taste the reduced fat from the original recipe. They taste lighter and less filling and yet the great flavor is still in tact. This recipe has fewer calories,less fat and less sugar then the original recipe. My son told me he enjoys this recipe over the original.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

Peanut butter moon low sugar

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free imitation honey .

Ingredients
    1 cup sugar free imitation honey
    1 cup smart balance PB

1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup smart balance peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free imitation honey. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

Nutrition facts

calories 394
    total fat 179 (95% omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids)
    saturated fats 4
    trans fat 0
    cholesterol 40mg
    sodium 135mg
    total carbohydrates 34g
    dietary fiber 4g
    sugar 7g
    protein 26g

This taste almost exactly like the original recipe. The amount of overall carbohydrates for this recipe do not change much from the original recipe. It simple changes the Glycemic Level and reduces the amount of sugar being used in the recipe. This also lowers the overall
    calories a bit. They taste the same to me.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

Peanut butter moon low sugar/reduced carbs v1

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free maple syrup.

Ingredients
    1 cup sugar free maple syrup
    1 cup smart balance PB

1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup smart balance peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free maple syrup. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

Nutrition facts

calories 350 from fat 179c
    total fat 21 (95% omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids)
    saturated fats 4
    trans fat 0
    cholesterol 40mg
    sodium 136mg
    total carbohydrates 18g
    dietary fiber 4g
    sugar 7g
    protein 26g

For a lower sugar lower carb treat these bars are great. They have a soft maple flavor that complements the oatmeal perfectly.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Lots of good ideas in here!! I've only made them as directed on the package so far, but I would like to give some of these ideas a shot in future batches
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

Try some out guys!

I wanna try the choco chip one when Im done cutting
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.16%

Quote Originally Posted by BarbellBeast View Post
    Try some out guys!

I wanna try the choco chip one when Im done cutting
    Chocolate chip recipe does sound good!
    Recoverbro Elite
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.67%

I loved the Peanut butter moon low sugar : )
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Quote Originally Posted by mikeanthony View Post
    I think I'm going to try that one tonight (if my son goes to bed at a reasonable hour!).
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.4%

i love thebars myself and have a few bags, need to make anothe rbatch. feels like its never ending lol
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.16%

Quote Originally Posted by Blergs View Post
    i love thebars myself and have a few bags, need to make anothe rbatch. feels like its never ending lol
    I know the feeling....nom nom nom
    Recoverbro Elite
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

Quote Originally Posted by mikeanthony View Post
    Nice.. I didn't like it too much with the SF maple syrup.... So used to the honey i suppose

Similar Forum Threads

1. Titan Bars vs Dymatize Elite Gourmet Protein Bars
    By FitModel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 08:43 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 08:18 PM