Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Cooking Chicken in Microwave?

What do you think?
    I am at school. No oven,stove but a micro in my room. When i go home for Thankgiving i might cut up about 8 Chicken breats into 16, baggie them and bring them back and freeze them(i have fridge/freezer) and then just defrost them before i cook them in the micro in a micro safe container.
    I dont need any marinade or sauce i can eat very bland food with no issue.

Has anyone ever done this? All ill have to do is make sure they are cut thin enough i guess so they cook well all the way through...?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

just make sure they're thawed and cut insto almost fillet like pieces.

throw some salt pepper n garlic on them n g2g
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  3. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    just make sure they're thawed and cut insto almost fillet like pieces.

throw some salt pepper n garlic on them n g2g
    Yea. I love cooking so ill def have them set-up more like fillets. Its going to be a learning proccess but i guess it dedication.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
    Yea. I love cooking so ill def have them set-up more like fillets. Its going to be a learning proccess but i guess it dedication.
    not gonna try to sound like a smartass but your microwave probably has different power levels.

99% of people just put food in and a time, thats max power level and can sometimes make food taste "funny"

anyways, play around w/ power level on defrosted chicken and remember to let the food sit 1-2mins before eating it. Taste weird otherwise, idk the reason but its reccomended on microwave only cooking
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

You can also by precooked frozen chicken breast (strips). Might be more practical for your situation.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.64%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

You can take the strips and cook them. I just cut a slice down the middle to allow more thorough cooking. I also cook them in water since they will be very tough and dry if you just throw them on a plate and microwave em.
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyIOSOS View Post
    You can also by precooked frozen chicken breast (strips). Might be more practical for your situation.
    Those are usually high in sodium and have more preservatives in them. I have tried them awhile ago, the tyson ones. They had a diferent taste thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    You can take the strips and cook them. I just cut a slice down the middle to allow more thorough cooking. I also cook them in water since they will be very tough and dry if you just throw them on a plate and microwave em.
    I will have them in a microwave safe dish with lid and some water for sure.

Ill let you guys know how it goes when i do it. Im sure there are some college kids around here wanting to know too.
    Can wait till i get back home for awhile...BACK ON THE GRILL!
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.64%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Yeah I found out the hard way about the sodium on those. Definitely don't go the frozen route any longer.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

You can also cook the chicken at home, seal the chicken in an air tight storage bag and store in the freezer. When the time comes you defrost the chicken and zap it in the microwave for a couple minutes. The chicken will not be very most so I would suggest the chicken be made in some type of marinade. Cooked frozen chicken should last you two to three months.
  10. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

You can also cook the chicken at home, seal the chicken in an air tight storage bag and store in the freezer. When the time comes you defrost the chicken and zap it in the microwave for a couple minutes. The chicken will not be very most so I would suggest the chicken be made in some type of marinade. Cooked frozen chicken should last you two to three months.
    Yea i thought of going that route too. The dry is what kept me away form it. I cook, ALOT at home and have some culinary experience. I think i'd rather leave it raw frozen, take it out before class or the gym, come back, zap it and chow.
    I used to re-heat cooked chicken in water and it helps some.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%

If you like fish there is an extremely easy and delish. way to cook frozen Tilapia in the microwave:

1-2 Tilapia filets (frozen)
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
    dash paprika (or substitute)

Take a shallow microwave safe dish and put enough water in to cover the bottom. Place the filets in dish and sprinkle lemon juice, pepper and paprika over top. Cover dish lightly and place in microwave. Cook approximately 5-7 min. (times will vary). Let sit 1-2 minutes and serve.

It's quick and a welcomed deviation from the usual chicken, egg whites and such. I sometimes just take them and mix them with my salad.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  130 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.17%

I think you can pretty much cook anything in the microwave. A toaster oven could work too. . . I don't know about the freezer part though. When I had one of those mini fridges that little freezer didn't freeze stuff very well.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Minty25 View Post
    I think you can pretty much cook anything in the microwave. A toaster oven could work too. . . I don't know about the freezer part though. When I had one of those mini fridges that little freezer didn't freeze stuff very well.
    Of course, a toaster oven would work perfect. I've actually used the toaster oven in the past and it worked o.k. My only complaint would be the cook timing. Good suggestion.
  14. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

Our freezer part of the fridge is solid. Its aseperate door and i have a box of Tilapia in it already. My roomate doesnt use the frezzer i could fit about 1 months worth of chicken and tilapia in there for sure.
    I just ben eating the tilapia plain or with some hot sauce. Hot sauce and tilapia after a workout will ensure recovery and some more fat burning!
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.25%

Try using a George Foreman grill its amazing. It cost like $25 at target/walmart.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I second the Foreman Grill. I have one of those and a smokeless grill too. The smokeless grill is a pain in the ass to clean though.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Just so long as you can handle the smell - really, it becomes quite pungent, in my opinion - the microwaved chicken is good-to-go.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

As far as smell is concerned, I don't cook any fish inside. It all goes out to the grill. Actually, when I was an RA in college, I had some residents that had one of these:

Walmart.com: Weber Charcoal Grate for 22.5'' Grills: Grills & Outdoor Cooking

In hindsight, I'm not sure where they stored it though, lol...
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.25%

you can cook fish on the George Foreman also. (: Boneless breast and tilapia filets.
  20. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    As far as smell is concerned, I don't cook any fish inside. It all goes out to the grill. Actually, when I was an RA in college, I had some residents that had one of these:
    Nah, I meant the chicken in the microwave. Disgusting smell!
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.42%

Sanyo has a smokeless indoor grill,def worth lookin into,only 50$.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

sounds similiar to the situation I am getting stuck in soon. I will be living on my ship. I am in the navy. I will be trying to diet for a show while the ship is in its training cycle too, which means long working hours. This will take some planning. Besides chicken. What about ground sirloin?? Any good meal plan ideas for micro only???
  23. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

I did and have been doing chicken and fish in the micro. Fish is a breeze, i even do it at home when i dont wanna put the oven on.
    Chicken takes a bit longer, i fillet them so they are sure to cook through. I cook them about 7-10min pending how many i have in there and they get obnoxiously hot. I never felt sick from them and they were always very moist.
    My room-mate doesnt complain about the chicken. If hes not there i just leave the door open or open a window. The fish he isnt much a fan off but says its no biggie. I also just try to cook it when hes at class.

Ill continue to do so because it provides me food i want and know is more healthy than what i obtain in the cafe.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Healthier is right. Thanks bro, I appreicate it. I will be living on my ship again soon, and will be stuck with a micro. Have you ever done Brown rice in the micro, with a microwave rice cooker?
  25. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    Healthier is right. Thanks bro, I appreicate it. I will be living on my ship again soon, and will be stuck with a micro. Have you ever done Brown rice in the micro, with a microwave rice cooker?
    No. Not a huge fan of rice. i usually stick to bread and cereals for grains. Sometimes noodles.
    I dont think it'd be hard. Just dont expect it to be perfect. I would boil water, put in rice, let sit and stir some and be done.

EDIT: http://www.ehow.com/how_2300912_use-...e-cookers.html
    maybe that'll help/
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I understand bro. OK. I just ate some protein and a whole grain bagel. mmm and some herbal tel since Its cold.
  27. dpfisher

Can't you just use a real rice cooker? I mean you could even set it up and go to class, it's perfect for that. I forget about mine for hours at a time and it still comes out good.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

DP I am not a student. I am in the navy on a ship. They are very picky about electric gear we use on board. I may be able to sneak it, but we will see. I can always eat oatmeal or sweet potatos for carbs.
  29. dpfisher

Oh I got you confused with the guy who made the thread, sorry. Yeah if you have to microwave, oatmeal's always good with protein powder mixed in.
  30. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%

Quote Originally Posted by dpfisher View Post
    Oh I got you confused with the guy who made the thread, sorry. Yeah if you have to microwave, oatmeal's always good with protein powder mixed in.
    Yea i just dont care to buy one. I rather breads, noodles and potatoes too. My roomate has one but we are not supposed to have them either. They wont ever know though im sure.
    Id love to have a george foreman but those a no too.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Yea, I hate rules. Fing haters. They make it tough to be a bodybuilder. I dont think a rice cooker, and an electric skillet will hurt the ships electrical load. lol...Its frustrating. I hope yall can make it work. Thats what its all about. Lastnight I was house sitting. I made Brown rice, and Ground sirloin, with onions, and green peppers. Thats on the menu today. Plenty of what I need. I also like to make whole wheat natty peanut butter and organic jam sandwhiches. Mmm good.
  32. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

If I were in college and in a dorm that microwave chic sounds delicious

Just throw some seasoning and/or sauce and all that.....gtg
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Yes sir. Hey, Thanks guys. Now lets go get swole.
  34. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Cooky32 View Post
    Yes sir. Hey, Thanks guys. Now lets go get swole.
    SFW..!!!!
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.17%

Cooking raw chicken in the microwave is very unsafe. Especially since all ovens very. Ever hear of salmonilla? Id go with what he said. Cooked chicken is the way to go and then just freeze it when your done cooking it. Just make sure you vaccume seal it so you dont get freezer burn. When you reheat it, instead of using simple water, try some fresh lemon in the water or lime. That way when you steam life back into the chicken, your adding some flavor into it as well. Hot sauce added to the water works too. As long as its air tight in the freezer, you should be able to make quite a bit of it when your home and then just thaw when your ready.
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.13%

i've stopped using mircrowaves. There bad for ya!
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.11%

I have never microwaved chicken.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Its fine. there are worse things. Its better than not eating, or eating out. You save money with a mirowave, and can still control your calories. In other words, you can still eat like a bodybuilder. I am military, and when i stayed in base quarters I had a microwave, rice cooker, toaster, and electric skillet. i could do about anything, and I had a blender too.
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.07%

microwaving chicken is for n00bs.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.83%

You can microwave chicken but it won't be really very tasty. You can always coat it with BBQ sauce but that stuff is usually laced with fructose or sugar of some sort and even then the texture will be off.
    You can overcook chicken, especially breast and make it pretty dry.

I recently changed the way I cooked chicken because of my reading on AGEs (Advanced Glycation End products). These are toxic compounds that are developed during the cooking process of meats. Microwaving and boiling produce very few AGEs. Frying, baking, BBQ = lots.

Basically anything that has been browned, seared, or caramelized is going to have these chemicals in them. They appear play a role in a lot of inflammatory, degenerative diseases.
    Millard reaction products are also something to google when you have time to read.

Basically now I take the chicken breast and microwave it till nearly done, then transfer it to a pan to finish it off. I usually do a whole family pack in one go and freeze the diced, done chicken so I can throw together a stir fry or similar in a couple minutes.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Question on cooking chicken?
    By TipTopShape in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
  2. Fried and Microwave.
    By captgarrett in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 05:38 PM
  3. Microwave degradation ???
    By hammer55 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 31