50 bucks a week - AnabolicMinds.com

50 bucks a week

  1. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    50 bucks a week


    hey everyone! need some serious help... i have 50 dollars a week i can use to buy food with. I never eat out, so all of this will go to groceries.

    I need approx 3500 calories a day from this 50 bucks per week.

    I need suggestions and help please? Cheap meals, bulking foods, recipies... without sacrificing health if possible.

    Or is this an impossible task?

    Regards,
    Nathan

  2. Advanced Member
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Rep Power
    567

    Reputation

    you're gonna starve!
  3. New Member
    mauibuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    368
    Rep Power
    328

    Reputation

    Bread, Peanut Butter, Eggs (eat the yokes too), Brown Rice...all cheap, good for you and tasty.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    you're gonna starve!
    probably lol...

    ill also mention that this is AUS dollars and that im a full time medical student..

    Ok so eggs, bread and rice...im guessing i can put mabe $10 for that a week.
    What about cottage cheese? is that reasonably priced?
    I know i can get mince for around $5 a kilo which is good
  5. New Member
    jp17815's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    34
    Posts
    482
    Rep Power
    323

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by quigley View Post
    hey everyone! need some serious help... i have 50 dollars a week i can use to buy food with. I never eat out, so all of this will go to groceries.

    I need approx 3500 calories a day from this 50 bucks per week.

    I need suggestions and help please? Cheap meals, bulking foods, recipies... without sacrificing health if possible.

    Or is this an impossible task?

    Regards,
    Nathan
    Hi.
    I would go for some whey protein, you can get it at Wally World for like 15$
    Also eggs and PB.

    For Calories you can get ham and cheese pockets cheap. Good in Protien as well as Calorie count. Turkey is good as well.

    For cost saveings get the stuff and make it yourself

    If you really want to save, spring is here. Anyone can grow a garden anywhere. Plant your own. wheather you have 100 yards for a garden, or a plastic troft out side your window It's cheap and good for ya. (I do the troft thing)

    Look for sales on chicken and red meat. Just kind of shop around.

    Hope this helps..

    JP..
    Last edited by jp17815; 04-02-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: added info
  6. Advanced Member
    bigzach1234's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    961
    Rep Power
    557

    Reputation

    heres a good start...
    2 bags of chicken 6lbs -10$
    5lbs lean ground beef 93/7-12$
    7 cans tuna- 7$
    5 dozen eggs-6$
    bacon- 4$
    oatmeal-3$
    ground turkey meat-$5
    bag of cheese- 4$
    whole wheat bread-2$
    pb-3$

    about fifty dollars there......... thats a good amount of food each week.. id u can swindle another ten dollars in there you can throw in about 10 servings of salmon
  7. New Member
    elementrip's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  258 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    298

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bigzach1234 View Post
    heres a good start...
    2 bags of chicken 6lbs -10$
    5lbs lean ground beef 93/7-12$
    7 cans tuna- 7$
    5 dozen eggs-6$
    bacon- 4$
    oatmeal-3$
    ground turkey meat-$5
    bag of cheese- 4$
    whole wheat bread-2$
    pb-3$

    about fifty dollars there......... thats a good amount of food each week.. id u can swindle another ten dollars in there you can throw in about 10 servings of salmon
    Very good suggestions. Also try searching the grocery store's day old racks for your breads, bagels,.... ect. Save about 50% there. Money gets tight for me too, i take one (or both sometimes depending) days im free every week and find neighbors in need of a little muscle around the yard or house for some spending money that i usually allocate towards my diet... Not much but every little bit helps when you're looking to gain!
  8. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bigzach1234 View Post
    heres a good start...
    2 bags of chicken 6lbs -10$
    5lbs lean ground beef 93/7-12$
    7 cans tuna- 7$
    5 dozen eggs-6$
    bacon- 4$
    oatmeal-3$
    ground turkey meat-$5
    bag of cheese- 4$
    whole wheat bread-2$
    pb-3$

    about fifty dollars there......... thats a good amount of food each week.. id u can swindle another ten dollars in there you can throw in about 10 servings of salmon
    Great suggestions mate... i have a local ALDI ill be shoppin at tomorrow. I think i might be able to get away with $60 a week, so ill incorporate your suggestions! There is hope
  9. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by elementrip View Post
    Very good suggestions. Also try searching the grocery store's day old racks for your breads, bagels,.... ect. Save about 50% there. Money gets tight for me too, i take one (or both sometimes depending) days im free every week and find neighbors in need of a little muscle around the yard or house for some spending money that i usually allocate towards my diet... Not much but every little bit helps when you're looking to gain!
    Yeah ill keep that in mind...ive been thinking about doing personal training part time (i have a diploma in fitness) if i can find some clients.... bit of extra cash
  10. New Member
    lamboruns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    104

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by quigley View Post
    Great suggestions mate... i have a local ALDI ill be shoppin at tomorrow. I think i might be able to get away with $60 a week, so ill incorporate your suggestions! There is hope
    I dont know about ALdi threre but here in the states I can get 85-15 dark meat ground turkey for 1.19 a lb. Eggs are a buck a dozen. Cottage cheese is the cheapest source of LEAN protein there is I believe. At wal- mart here i can get 4 servings of fat free (320 cals 52g of protein) for 1.25.
  11. New Member
    heywood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    246

    Reputation

    Well, since you live in aus what about roo and lamb meat? I remember Jakellpet saying roo was pretty inexpensive.

    Anything in the bulk aisles will be great to go after. Also, if you can find bones really cheap they are a great source to make broth with. Also, if you are that hard up when you make the broth you can stick it in the freezer and pull the fat off the top and portion it out with your meals as extra calories. Lentils are great, beans are great, not sure what grains besides brown rice are affordable in aus but quinoa, buckwheat and some others are high in protein content.

    You could also get in touch with local farmers markets/grocers and offer to take some of the produce off their hand that is getting on the edge; freezing works well for many vegetables and fruits.

    I know I'm missing things here, but maybe some of it helps. Also, cooking a huge recipe of one thing a week and eating the leftovers all week is a great way to save...one of the things beans and lentils are great for.
  12. Advanced Member
    mathis50262's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    443

    Reputation

    Throw some veggies in there too. Canned or frozen very cheap. Oatmeal, peanut butter, tuna, and potatoes.... Good to go. When I'm bulking I spend only approx 55 a week. Cutting I'm down to about 30
  13. New Member
    ejg700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    161

    Reputation

    When I'm bulking, I spend about $50 as well. I make chili. Loads of protein, fiber, and low glycemic carbs. I make enough to last a week, which only comes out to about 30 bucks per week. I buy all of my spices in bulk, which is a bit more of an outlay at first, but they last a long time. I spend the rest on protein powder, (gemma from trueprotein, much cheaper than whey, but with high leucine content, and just as good,) and vitamins. If you can stand eating the same thing day in and day out, it's a cheap, and time saving. I like chili because it's got everything I need, and I can tweek the recipe from week to week, so it's not quite like I'm eating the same thing for weeks on end. I'm a picky eater, but if something is good, I can eat it for as long as I need to. If interested, I could give you the "recipe" that I use.
  14. New Member
    heywood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    246

    Reputation

    please do...a good chili recipe is always welcome!
  15. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ejg700 View Post
    When I'm bulking, I spend about $50 as well. I make chili. Loads of protein, fiber, and low glycemic carbs. I make enough to last a week, which only comes out to about 30 bucks per week. I buy all of my spices in bulk, which is a bit more of an outlay at first, but they last a long time. I spend the rest on protein powder, (gemma from trueprotein, much cheaper than whey, but with high leucine content, and just as good,) and vitamins. If you can stand eating the same thing day in and day out, it's a cheap, and time saving. I like chili because it's got everything I need, and I can tweek the recipe from week to week, so it's not quite like I'm eating the same thing for weeks on end. I'm a picky eater, but if something is good, I can eat it for as long as I need to. If interested, I could give you the "recipe" that I use.
    recipe would be very helpful, thankyou
  16. New Member
    Rhys26's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    189

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bigzach1234 View Post
    heres a good start...
    2 bags of chicken 6lbs -10$
    5lbs lean ground beef 93/7-12$
    7 cans tuna- 7$
    5 dozen eggs-6$
    bacon- 4$
    oatmeal-3$
    ground turkey meat-$5
    bag of cheese- 4$
    whole wheat bread-2$
    pb-3$

    about fifty dollars there......... thats a good amount of food each week.. id u can swindle another ten dollars in there you can throw in about 10 servings of salmon

    You wont get all of that for $50 in Aust!
  17. New Member
    lamboruns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    104

    Reputation

    Go to ALDI they have those in AUST. Cheapest place for Meat
  18. New Member
    Rhys26's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    189

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by lamboruns View Post
    Go to ALDI they have those in AUST. Cheapest place for Meat
    ALDI? Is there one in Perth?
  19. New Member
    MikeMagz1013's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    139

    Reputation

    Peanut butter and wheat bread, eggs w/ toast. All day everyday. I think that's your only hope.

    But invest in a good multi. You're going to be a little short of your nutrients so that's a must!
  20. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    alright thanks guys...rhys26, there isnt any ALDI's in perth mate, im in bris there's one here but i lived in perth for 18 years (since i was born till 2 years ago)
    Where bouts u from? I lived out near midland in helena valley

    Ok so im gonna stick to mince ($5 a kilo) Bread, eggs (****loads) tuna, potatoes, sweet potatoe, and oats. Ill try and get steam veggies in and fruit, and ill b talkin a multi vitamin plus a zinc, fish oils and a probiotic as a sorry to my poor gut
  21. New Member
    heywood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    246

    Reputation

    rhys u should talk to jakellpet...his loc. says perth...maybe he can help.
  22. New Member
    Rhys26's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    189

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by quigley View Post
    alright thanks guys...rhys26, there isnt any ALDI's in perth mate, im in bris there's one here but i lived in perth for 18 years (since i was born till 2 years ago)
    Where bouts u from? I lived out near midland in helena valley

    Ok so im gonna stick to mince ($5 a kilo) Bread, eggs (****loads) tuna, potatoes, sweet potatoe, and oats. Ill try and get steam veggies in and fruit, and ill b talkin a multi vitamin plus a zinc, fish oils and a probiotic as a sorry to my poor gut
    Tuart Hill atm mate
  23. New Member
    burymestanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    214

    Reputation

    Hey man, sounds like you are a college student like myself. I am actually on a similar budget. I spend about 68 bucks a week. While everybody has made good recomendations, I have to totally agree with bigzach. One thing I would like to add is brown rice. Depending on your weight and goals 1-2 boxes of brown rice a week is dirt cheap. I buy the wallmart brand and its like 1.82 a box. That lasts me about 7 days. I also get canned yams. They are close in price to the brown rice, and you get a lot. The only down side is there is 16grams of sugar for 2/3 a cup. Then again, your goals don't sound like this is a bad thing. I got a friend on a similar diet as mine, and he has put on 20lbs of lean muscle (he was also taking sus500 haha)
  24. New Member
    ejg700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    161

    Reputation

    Here Is the recipe that I use:
    10 pounds regular ground beef(70-75% lean. I get this when it goes on reduced for quick sale,@1.28 per pound.)
    3 bags red kidney beans
    5, 8-oz cans crushed tomatoes.
    1.5 tbls Italian seasoning.
    1tbls curry powder.
    2 tbls cayenne.
    2 large onions
    1 large can, (not sure of the ounces,) sliced jalapeños.
    8 garlic cloves, peeled, and pressed.
    In a large skillet, fry, and season ground beef. Don't try to to cook it all at the same time. drain and set aside. In the same skillet, peel, and slice onions, drain jalapenos, and sautée with 3 tbls olive oil. In a large dutch oven, boil beans until desired texture. drain beans, and add all ingredients to dutch oven. With a large, and sturdy metal spoon, stir ingredients without heat, thourally mixing all ingredients together. Stir in salt to taste, 1/2 tsp at a time. Store in large Tupperware container for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator for flavors to meld.
  25. New Member
    burymestanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    214

    Reputation

    ejg70 this sounds really good, but I buy extra lean ground been 2lbs at a time, how would you suggest I modify the rest of the ingrediants/ directions?
  26. New Member
    ejg700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    161

    Reputation

    1/5 the ingredients. I use regular ground beef, because the x-lean stuff get too dry, and if you drain the beef while it's still hot, you get most of the fat out of it.
  27. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74317

    Reputation Reputation

    Dude, 50 AUD is like...35 US or something...Go on a cut, bro! Haha
  28. Advanced Member
    Delita420's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    531

    Reputation

    Once you get stuff like cooking oil and rice in large quantities it will get easier, you won't need to buy them every week.
  29. New Member
    heywood's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    246

    Reputation

    ejg700,
    thanx! always like me a good recipe.
  30. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    Dude, 50 AUD is like...35 US or something...Go on a cut, bro! Haha
    come on man, dont burst my bubble! haha
    im managing ok...want to die, sick of eggs tuna peanut butter and bread...but a mans got to do what a mans got to do!

    thanks for the recipies!
  31. New Member
    JKBB44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    157

    Reputation

    i'm pretty much in the same situation away at college. I usually stock up on chicken tenderloins, natty peanut butter, cottage cheese, and wheat bread. I also get two meals a day free so that helps as ton.
  32. New Member
    Tunasandwich's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    128

    Reputation

    Bags of frozen chicken breasts - Chef Boy r dee (high calories and protien)- lipton/knor rice or pasta sides carbs (usually .99 cents) - tops frozen hamburgers - cold cuts turkey and ham (make wraps for snacks or meals)
  33. Professional Member
    mooch2321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,835
    Rep Power
    2013

    Reputation

    earlier you said something about a job....if you have time to be thinking about it, then you have time to do it...get a job!!! i worked all the way through school....and never once had to worry about having 50 bucks(or 35 for that matter) for food for the week....
  34. Advanced Member
    Delita420's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    531

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mooch2321 View Post
    earlier you said something about a job....if you have time to be thinking about it, then you have time to do it...get a job!!! i worked all the way through school....and never once had to worry about having 50 bucks(or 35 for that matter) for food for the week....
    Or, get a girlfriend and make her pay for your food.
  35. New Member
    freakonapumpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    70

    Reputation

    thats bodybuilding on budget bro,i would go for whey protein some rice chicken pork tenderloin its pretty good and cheap,somo eggs peanut butter and some vegetables and off course skimmed milk..cheers
  36. Advanced Member
    Delita420's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    531

    Reputation

    I'm a big fan of fried rice, it's very easy to make from scratch. You can use almost any kind of meat with it. It usually makes leftovers, and I eat it for lunch the next day.
  37. New Member
    mauibuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    368
    Rep Power
    328

    Reputation

    Buy a ham or a turkey. Should last you several meals.
  38. New Member
    quigley's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    295

    Reputation

    hey guys thanks for all your suggestions! im slowly building a good list with all your input!

    in regards to a job, am i thinking of it, but as i study medicine my uni hours (30 hours) plus study load (20-30 hours) makes me quite busy as it is so im trying to avoid it unless there's nothing else for it. Also the recession makes gettin a part time job not easy where i am, but if it comes to it, i have my cert 3 and cert 4 in fitness so i might try some pt on the side

    also, ive heard some people say they shot olive oil..is this any good?

    regards,
    nathan
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. nutra bucks
    By freefall365 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
  2. I've got $50 bucks...
    By hyperCat in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 07:57 AM
  3. 10 bucks says this guy is goin to die. lol
    By bkoguy07 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 12:17 AM
  4. I've got 60 bucks to spend
    By Rugger in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in