Make Jerky!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.27%

Make Jerky!

we all know that sometimes it can difficult to maintain proper diet while on the go, away from home at your job or in class, ect. protien bars are expensive buggers, going for over a dollar a piece if you buy them right. otherwise, more.

i could never bring myself to justify the cost of these when i know that there is a simple way that i can Eat Meat, anywhere i want, and i will share this secret with you, with no fat and no carbs.

I make jerky
    at first it may sound like a lot of effort. it's not.

what you need: lean beef with minimal marbling and not a lot of fat.

so you want to buy either a rump roast, a cross rib, or a sirloin tip, or eye of round roast. all of which are very lean, and it is easy to trim off what fat is there. they are also fairly cheap, usually going for around 3 bucks a pound.
    many places slice what is called a Bottom Round Flat( which is also cut into Rump Roasts, same thing.) about 1/4 inch thick. this is often used to make carne asada.

but that's not what we are doing today. buy the meat sliced if you can. otherwise, get the roast. about 4 pounds worth. throw the thing in your freezer for about an hour or 2 so it gets a bit firm so that it is easier to slice. then grab the biggest and sharpest knife that you have, clean off as much fat as you can. this is important, since leaving it on will compromise the shelf life of your jerky. then slice it thinly.

roll out the parchement paper or the aluminum foil onto the counter. you are going to lay out each piece and sprinkle garlic salt and pepper onto the meat. if you like it spicy add crushed red chile flakes. then mix up a jerky marinade. soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, bullseye barbecue and a shot of bourbon is usually what i will use. you can add liquid smoke too. add enough to cover. i really dont measure these things out.

i let marinade for 2 days. then pull it out. now not everyone has a food dehydrator or a smoker but i smoke the meat before drying it out.

one easy way that i have found to dry it is in the oven. i can get mine to go down to 140 degrees. you arent trying to cook the meat, just dry it out. i layer it on one of those mesh cooling racks so that it gets air circulation from both sides. you could probably get away with using a cookie sheet and flipping the jerky over.

i let it sit in 140degree oven for about 6 hours, or just until i feel that it is dry enough. remember that it will dry out on it's own afterwards too.

there are many recipes for jerky that you can find on google.
    it can be fun to make and is an awesome snack.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.08%

nice tip man thanks
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.67%

its deer season here...im lovin the jerkey!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.18%
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.96%

i let marinade for 2 days. then pull it out. now not everyone has a food dehydrator or a smoker but i smoke the meat before drying it out.

"pull it out". so it marinates in the fridge?

is it OK to not smoke the meat? I'm trying to think of the step that does the closest to cooking and smoking seems to be it.

I have a small oven that has a "dehydrate" option, which I think may be good for this application. It's small, but it has many racks and I think it'll work.

thanks!
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I made a dehydrator out of a cardboard box, some tin foil, and a 100w light bulb a couple years ago and it actually worked pretty good. You can find instructions on how to make one on google.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.27%

Quote Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post

"pull it out". so it marinates in the fridge?

is it OK to not smoke the meat? I'm trying to think of the step that does the closest to cooking and smoking seems to be it.

I have a small oven that has a "dehydrate" option, which I think may be good for this application. It's small, but it has many racks and I think it'll work.

thanks!
    it is just fine not to smoke the meat. i do, but the only reason is for the flavor of the smoke. it is not necessary. you can choose to add a few drops of liquid smoke to your marinade instead if you do not have a smoker.

we really arent trying to cook the meat, although (some) cooking will inevitably occurr at the temps that we are trying to dry the meat. you are lucky that your oven actually has a dehydrate function built in, most all dont have that. we are adding some pretty harsh stuff to our jerky, lemon juice and the vinegar are very acidic and make it an inhospitable enviornment for bacteria, so we really dont have to worry about that. these things also help to break down and tenderize the meat, resulting in more tender jerky for us.

you can make your marinade with anything you want, i just wouldnt think it is a good idea to skip the vinegar or lemon juice as these are important because they not only tenderize, they sanitize. you wont ever get sick off of it and it will last longer. but you will go through it so fast that you wont need to worry about shelf life. so dont be afraid to try and add things like brown sugar, A1 sauce, coarse cracked pepper....

people are wierd about jerky, some prefer the paper thin and rock hard stuff. i find that to be more of an activity than a snack, it's just hard to eat and is a lot of labor for a small reward. kinda like eating sunflower seeds. so i like my jerky to be thicker and softer, even a bit moist. that way it is easy to eat and wont wear out your jaw or make you have TMJ.

now the link that Thomas posted is perfect and would help anybody wondering exactly how to dry their jerky using a home oven.

you want to season the meat first. then put it in a bag, add marinade, mix it around.. then put it in the fridge. you dont have to leave it in for a full two days, but if you care about flavor you will want to. you could leave it in even longer if you chose, maybe 4 days.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.82%

damn this sounds soo good since i could eat jerky all day long and not get sick of it gotta try this out
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.27%

today i made another batch.. cant wait to eat this stuff.
    ive been thinking of creating my own anabolic snack packs to take all over the place with me. just a bag with jerky, crackers, fruit and nuts.

one thing about jerky is that it will keep good in the car, and you can eat it whenever you want. it doesnt matter if you are driving somewhere, you can have protien whenever you need it. it wont melt in the car or your pocket on a hot day either like a chocolate coated protien bar.
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.83%

from one jerky maker to another, thumbs up!! in the summer, i make mine over the open fire @ our lakelot. all the other campers bug the crap out of me for it. even people that don't normally like jerky, love homemade.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  156 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.37%

awesome I have to give it a shot
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.45%

I'm a massive jerky fan. I make a batch almost weekly. My mates always ask me to bring it when I go to their house/gatherings/parties etc.

The best marinade is this:
    Soy sauce
    Worcestershire sauce
    Hot sauce
    Honey
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder
    Crushed black pepper

Let it marinade for a couple of days, or at least overnight. I do 1kg (2.2lbs) at a time. Once dehydrated, I divide it up in to five, 100g bags. The dried meat halves in weight. A 100g bag is the equivalent of a 200g steak. Perfect for when you're on the go!
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.27%

yeah i made another batch a few days ago and used Pappy's Chipotle marinade.

it was just:
    seasoned with
    salt, pepper, garlic, onion, crushed red chile flake, minced green onions

and then lemon and the pappys chipolte. it turned out really nice and has a great mellow/smokey/spicy kind of flavor.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96%

i love some deer jerky and zic sticks.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.97%

man i cant wait to make jerky
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  254 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.34%

I'll have to try that.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  999 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.42%

best jerky ever is deer meet YUMM
  18. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.93%

hey thanks! I just made some and it came out great. I used a small counter oven, only went to 200 degrees lowest. I put the meat on a cooking sheet and let it cook for 8 hours and flipped it half way. Came out great!

my recipe:

soy sauce
    italian seasoning
    salt
    crushed red peppers(spicy)
    pepper

Simple and plain yet tastes really good.
  19. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I made a dehydrator out of a cardboard box, some tin foil, and a 100w light bulb a couple years ago and it actually worked pretty good. You can find instructions on how to make one on google.
    That is someones house you are messing with!
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.46%

ok go to the grocery store in your marinade section. The best tasting marinade i have ever tried is DALE's.... sooo tasty it ahs soy, garlic, pepper and **** i cant think of, i only use DALE's when i cook steaks or ribs. Please try it for you rjerky and im sure you will be happy you found it. AHHH im gonna get me some DALE's
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  122 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96%

I'm buying a dehydrator today and I can't wait to start making my own jerky! I was buying these organic bison sticks at at local health food store but they ran out this week and I'm completely addicted to them so I figured since I'm in the military and go to the field a lot I'll be needing my own jerky cuz I know I'll get sick of eating tons of tuna and salmon packets for days on end in the field. Our MRE's are full of absolutely crappy-for-you ingredients so half of my ruck sack is usually food!!! I'm going to attempt to make squid jerky and turkey jerky too so hopefully those turn out well. I just finally decided it'll be worth it to make my own jerky rather than put up with all the sugar and preservatives in the regular ol' store brands.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.18%

I forgot all about this thread. I love jerky, I would dehydrate a baby deer if I could.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.37%

Thanks for the post. I had to go out and purchase a food dehydrator, did not realize how easy it was to make jerky! Food dehydrators are not too bad priced either.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.46%

wow you're not a lazy guy hahaha! i'm too lazy to exert effort to making jerkys so i just buy food hahaha
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.04%

I love Jerky and I make it all the time!!!
    1. Buy a dehydrator if you can, it uses alot less energy than your oven operating for 6 hours.
    2. Try to moderate the Salt in your ingredients as this is the only risk when eating alot of jerkey.
    3. You can marinade the meat for about 6 hours minimum for best taste but overnight is better.
    4. If you want to add Barbecue sauce use Sweet Baby Rays!!!!!!! not the best nutrient profile, but man it is good in the jerky marinade mix.
    5. I wait until the London Broil goe's on sale and I buy a ton of it, i think it makes the best jerkey (unless I have deer meat handy of course)
    6. If you like it spicy/peppery then when you lay the meat into the dehydrator after marinading, shake pepper and red pepper flakes on again then.

Marinade:
    Soy Sauce
    Worcestershire
    Liquid Smoke
    Black Pepper
    Sea Salt
    Red Pepper Flakes
    Honey
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.52%

love me some jerky
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.12%

I love me some jerkey. Im gonna roll to the Wal Mart tommorow and get me a dehydrator and start some batches by this weekend..Im thinking

1- Something with Jalapeņo
    2- Deer...if I can find any in Cali...
    3- BBQ or Buffalo..haha

Its on! thanks for the idea guys!
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

I forgot about beef jerky.. Thanks for the tip!
    Will be using the oven this weekend
  29. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Read the title quick and thought it was Methyl Jerky hahaha. I was like WTF?!?!
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.27%

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    Read the title quick and thought it was Methyl Jerky hahaha. I was like WTF?!?!
    Yeah there could be a recipe for that too.. really there is such a thing called Perky Jerky and it has caffeine added. So I figure it would be nice to add bcaas and other aminos, creatine. Anything you want can just be sprinkled on the meat mixed in with your seasonings. This would probably help it adhere to the end product better than if you just added it to the marinade. SD anybody?
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.27%

Quote Originally Posted by gnetics18 View Post
    I love me some jerkey. Im gonna roll to the Wal Mart tommorow and get me a dehydrator and start some batches by this weekend..Im thinking

1- Something with Jalapeņo
    2- Deer...if I can find any in Cali...
    3- BBQ or Buffalo..haha

Its on! thanks for the idea guys!
    Deer is an easy one I live in ca too just find your friends that like to deer hunt, usually they'll be more than happy to hook you up. Or you can
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.27%

ahh I mean or you can shoot one yourself. They don't really sell it in any grocery stores
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.54%

nice tip, i love jerky
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.33%

thanks for the recipe, sounds great!

Similar Forum Threads

1. The best of the Jerky Boys!