You may make more than a pro bodybuilder.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Average Earnings
According to Indeed.com, the average earnings for a professional bodybuilder is $77,000 per year in 2014. The earnings are influenced by location. For example, a pro bodybuilder in New York makes about $93,000 a year. Pro bodybuilders in California make an average of $83,000 annually, while in Florida, they earn about $72,000 a year. In Nebraska, pro bodybuilders make an average of $56,000 a year. For top-tier bodybuilders, the earnings are much higher. According to "Muscle and Fitness" magazine, the first place winner of the Mr. Olympia competition received $675,000 in 2013. The Ms. Olympia winner received $60,000.

So...... $56000 after paying for coaching, weekly grocery budget, car payment, insurance, travel, gym membership and gear, pretty much you are broke. The reality is this is how most ifbb pros live. They are not in magazines, nor winning the Mr. Olympia. They are making 3rd call outs and living in a tiny apartment somewhere. Is that the kind of life you would want?

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yep. This is why I walked away from a great sponsor post collegiate trying to make a career out of throwing. I didn’t want to “follow my dreams” and just live a broke life and not be able to support a family. It was the right decision as I know fully provide for my family and my wife can stay at home and raise our kids. Seems like a lonely self centered life to live like that. To each their own. Not judging but I wanted more out of life

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The way to to do it is to start your own youtube and insta and start selling your how to get huge fitness plans and your own nutrition line. A few guys on youtube get 4 million followers and they can sell their nutrition/fitness plans/t-shirts etc. And you gotta be a decent salesman and good looking and stay shredded 24/7 lol.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Yep. This is why I walked away from a great sponsor post collegiate trying to make a career out of throwing. I didn’t want to “follow my dreams” and just live a broke life and not be able to support a family. It was the right decision as I know fully provide for my family and my wife can stay at home and raise our kids. Seems like a lonely self centered life to live like that. To each their own. Not judging but I wanted more out of life
Look at other sports, even golf. If you qualify for the pga tour and get your pro card, finishing in the top 125, you are making lots of money and pretty much a millionare. Bodybuilding pays out like garbage. They would be smart to increase the prize money to make it more popular. No one wants to be a pro cause the prize money sucks. The IFBB is a joke when it comes to PURSES.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look at other sports, even golf. If you qualify for the pga tour and get your pro card, finishing in the top 125, you are making lots of money and pretty much a millionare. Bodybuilding pays out like garbage. They would be smart to increase the prize money to make it more popular. No one wants to be a pro cause the prize money sucks. The IFBB is a joke when it comes to PURSES.
The money has to come from somewhere. Golf, football, baseball, basketball, etc can afford to pay players a lot of money because they bring in a lot of money; it’s economics. Offering more prize money may get more people to consider competing, but even that is debatable, as the amount of drugs to compete on an elite level dwarfs that of any other sport, but that wouldn’t inherently bring more fans to the sport. I mean, I love bodybuilding (particularly old-school), but I can clearly see why it doesn’t attract the same level and number of fans as sports like baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer, boxing, etc; it’s not nearly as much of an “entertaining spectator sport.” Due to this, it doesn’t generate as much money, which means less prize money and/or payment for athletes competing. Again, it’s basic economics really. As for the sponsors/competitions paying the athletes more money, they probably only would if they thought it would bring them more money in return, which, as I just explained, I think it may not.