Why so many pro cards nowadays?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Seems like anyone can qualify for nationals and get a pro card nowadays. Why?

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
More shows now? I assume that physique and classic physique have “mainstreamed bodybuilding again so there are more shows.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
They hand out pro cards like candy. In the old days they only gave a pro card to a major show winner. Only a few a year were given. They have now made it too ****in easy and they hand them out by the hundreds. 20+ years ago a procard was a big deal. Today in my opinion, it doesn't mean jack ****

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is all marketing and politics. The organizers or the show owners want more people to compete, get the show popular and make more money. End of the day that's all matters; MONEY. Since you compete, you should know that there is an annual fee to joining this organization. Then, you have photoshoots which you pay for etc etc... The guys who gets pro card is popular is some social media platform. That adds to show owners brand promotion.

Edit- not everyone. There are exceptions.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
They hand out pro cards like candy. In the old days they only gave a pro card to a major show winner. Only a few a year were given. They have now made it too ****in easy and they hand them out by the hundreds. 20+ years ago a procard was a big deal. Today in my opinion, it doesn't mean jack ****
Many pros are poor and resort to promoting their companies products at their local mall. They don’t have mansions nor fancy cars. That is the real story as it’s very hard to make money in bodybuilding unless you dominate pro shows and get your name and pic in big time ads. Personal training pays for their apartment and many have another job as well. The prize money is garbage when you compare it to other sports.

JohnnyJumpman

JohnnyJumpman

Awards
NPC did change how people get nationally qualified this year thank God. National shows were getting so boring with the 1500 athletes showing up. I'm all for seeing fit chicks and love me some bikini girls, but some of these girls showing up were just like, his the hell did you get NQ?

You now have to take first or second in the open divisions, and winning your class is nothing more than bragging rights. No more nationally qualified for winning classes thank God.

Also at national shows, only the top 2 will recieve pro cards, no more giving out pro cards to 70 bikini girls because there are 35 classes and 800 girls at a show.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
NPC did change how people get nationally qualified this year thank God. National shows were getting so boring with the 1500 athletes showing up. I'm all for seeing fit chicks and love me some bikini girls, but some of these girls showing up were just like, his the hell did you get NQ?

You now have to take first or second in the open divisions, and winning your class is nothing more than bragging rights. No more nationally qualified for winning classes thank God.

Also at national shows, only the top 2 will recieve pro cards, no more giving out pro cards to 70 bikini girls because there are 35 classes and 800 girls at a show.
Really competing should be always against yourself and for yourself. Unless you have aspirations of becoming a pro, Which in my opinion is not a very glamorous life unless you are a top one, entering shows at the local level should be used to motivate an athlete to keep making gains. What better way to do that than enter and pay your entry fee and use these to keep yourself in shape and making progress.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really competing should be always against yourself and for yourself. Unless you have aspirations of becoming a pro, Which in my opinion is not a very glamorous life unless you are a top one, entering shows at the local level should be used to motivate an athlete to keep making gains. What better way to do that than enter and pay your entry fee and use these to keep yourself in shape and making progress.
Good stuff. You have to love this to do it.

Yfz450

Awards
Been competing last 30 years. So yes, many more cards given out than previous years.

What if based on % increase of athletes competing, the chance of actually GETTING a pro card is just as hard, if not harder than ever.

The level of competition in 2018 even at the state level is hard to say, win an open overall title in any division.

Then take ALL those athletes going to Nationals (was over 1000 athletes ) Masters Nats17, ask anybody who comeptes there HOW they're handing them out like Candy.

Most of the local overall winners in most stated "tie" at 16th place...that's how hard it is to even place top 5 at Nationals.

Everybody I know who actually EARNED a IFBB pro card NEVER says how easy it was, only the people who don't have them. Just my observation.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Guys, guys, listen. You gotta stop bumping competenpc threads, he's like bloody mary, if you bump three threads he's gonna return. This is number 2