how come bodybuilders do not transition to pro baseball or any sport?

fartster

Awards
I'd like to see those pumped up BBers play on the MLB. I wonder what the process is like to becoming a pro baseball player?

how are baseball players chosen? there are no high school selection or college selection process for it as far as I know on how to go pro for MLB, how does it work?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Baseball players are basically chosen to play in the majors from High School and then their craft is refined in college.

The reason you don't see many bodybuilders being baseball players is if they are "pumped" up then they probably won't pass the MLB testing policy lol (Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, etc)

So they basically find said player in High school, offer him a "contract" after high school he gets "drafted" and goes to a farm team for a few years to get used to the MLB style of play and then gets brought up.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Pro wrestlers are basically bodybuilders. As for other sports you need agility, endurance, and speed that carrying around dozens of pounds of unnatural muscle prohibit you from having. Hell, I went from 175 to 190 over the course a season in my soccer league and have been slow as hell to get to the ball with all the added size.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pro wrestlers are basically bodybuilders. As for other sports you need agility, endurance, and speed that carrying around dozens of pounds of unnatural muscle prohibit you from having. Hell, I went from 175 to 190 over the course a season in my soccer league and have been slow as hell to get to the ball with all the added size.
Maybe in the 80s and 90s, but most of them these days are nowhere near the use during that era.

Bodybuilders aren't athletes. That's why they don't go into professional athletics. Simply building a muscle and getting lean isn't an athletic skill by any means.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Brock Lesnar was a bodybuilder. But UFC's payment probably is much better :ponder:

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd like to see those pumped up BBers play on the MLB. I wonder what the process is like to becoming a pro baseball player?

how are baseball players chosen? there are no high school selection or college selection process for it as far as I know on how to go pro for MLB, how does it work?
Is this honestly a real question lol? I guarentee you, 99% of pro bodybuilders would have absolutely no chance of hitting a professional baseball pitcher's fast ball, let alone a slider, curveball, or good changeup for that matter. What do you mean there is no high school or college selection process? What the fck do you think the MLB draft is? Lol there is just so much wrong with this post.

Edit: just because someone is huge doesn't mean they can hit a baseball. Barry Bonds was still an amazing baseball player regardless of the steroid thing. Hand eye coordination, timing, and reflexes play a much larger role in hitting a baseball than someone being "huge".

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bonds was a thirty home run hitter at 6'3" and 185lbs. Then he gained sixty pounds and a hat size and stood on top of the plate. What did you think was going to happen?

If you want to see juiced up bat wielders, try pro slow pitch softball. Rusty Bumgardner (sp?) in particular.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He's not a pro bodybuilder, but Terron Beckham (Odell Beckham's cousin) may have a shot at playing in the NFL and is pretty massive. If nothing else, he's an insane athlete (5'11" 223 lbs, 4.47-sec 40, 36 reps at 225 lb bench, 44.5" vertical). I wouldn't say that being very muscular (although not modern Olympian size) is something that is inherently going to make you slow. Athletes today are bigger AND faster than athletes in the past.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
because bodybuilders are so dumb that they can only count as high as their rep count..... I am just kidding....there are at least 1 that have their PHDs.

fartster

Awards
I guess the MLB draft isn't as mainstream as basketball or football draft?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I guess the MLB draft isn't as mainstream as basketball or football draft?
It is but nobody really cares. Baseball is such a long season and it's draft as well as the draft for Hockey are aired (mostly on ESPN 2) that nobody really cares when the draft happens.

When you get drafted in baseball you never really play right away unlike basketball and football where you get drafted and 4 months later they are playing.

Baseball takes a minute

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's a big difference in what looks like a lot of muscle vs. functionality in sports -- particularly baseball. Your best bet might be on the line of the NFL, but even then, power lifters would be far better suited for it.

I played baseball through my freshman year of college and was nowhere near as big as I am now when I played. I went to a batting cage for fun on vacation this past summer and it was horrible. Giant lats, delts and arms do not make for a good or smooth swing. Think of Griffey Jr. That man had the most beautiful swing there ever was and he was strong, but he did NOT look like a bodybuilder. If you're just talking about smashing homeruns, big/powerful legs, a strong core, and popeye forarms are the muscles that do that.

Also, I'd love to see any pro bodybuilder attempt to throw a baseball -- it wouldn't go well.

Actually, why don't they have a variation of the celebrity baseball game with just bodybuilders? It would be funny for everyone else to watch as they pitifully tried and failed at the most basic of baseball tasks.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And also, the draft is on a much bigger scale than that of the NBA and NFL (don't know much about hockey). People often get drafted out of HS (I played with several guys who did). Some choose to go into the minors and others turn it down and go to college. It largely depends on what round you're drafted in, the team, their plans, etc. If you're drafted in the 17th round as a HS student, you're likely far better off going to college if you already had scholarship plans lined up with a good D1 school. You want to get drafted higher and get placed in a higher level of minor league ball (e.g AAA over A) with less time spent out of the MLB.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's a big difference in what looks like a lot of muscle vs. functionality in sports -- particularly baseball. Your best bet might be on the line of the NFL, but even then, power lifters would be far better suited for it.

I played baseball through my freshman year of college and was nowhere near as big as I am now when I played. I went to a batting cage for fun on vacation this past summer and it was horrible. Giant lats, delts and arms do not make for a good or smooth swing. Think of Griffey Jr. That man had the most beautiful swing there ever was and he was strong, but he did NOT look like a bodybuilder. If you're just talking about smashing homeruns, big/powerful legs, a strong core, and popeye forarms are the muscles that do that.

Also, I'd love to see any pro bodybuilder attempt to throw a baseball -- it wouldn't go well.

Actually, why don't they have a variation of the celebrity baseball game with just bodybuilders? It would be funny for everyone else to watch as they pitifully tried and failed at the most basic of baseball tasks.
Made me think of Arnold doing some track and field stuff in Hercules in New York, haha.

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
The reason you don't see many bodybuilders being baseball players is if they are "pumped" up then they probably won't pass the MLB testing policy lol (Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, etc)
The drug testing in pro sports is a joke, the amount of athletes competing at an elite level that aren't on some type of performance enhancer is virtually non-existent. That being said the sheer volume and variety of drugs that competitive bodybuilders are on today would make it extraordinarily difficult for them to pass even the most lenient drug testing.

As far as the original question as to why bodybuilders aren't transitioning into baseball or other sports, bodybuilding is a highly specialized type of training based more on aesthetics and less on athleticism. To make it into pro sports today you have to start training at a young age and devote all of your time to it. Outside of maybe powerlifting or strongman type of competitions it would be impossible for a bodybuilder to change sports and attempt to transition into another sport trying to compete with athletes that have quite a few years head start on them.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Come on bras, body builders uses tons, literally, tons of steroids. 2000mg of testosterone week is the minimum, not to mention trembolone, deca, stano, theyre blood are half drugs half blood.

I am not criticizing them, respect them to have that kind of courage, i am afraid of using that much of steroids and try to become mr olympia, but nonetheless they would never pass a drug test for any sport.

fartster

Awards
does each state have a minor league or it's usually the states with a sports team?

And also, the draft is on a much bigger scale than that of the NBA and NFL (don't know much about hockey). People often get drafted out of HS (I played with several guys who did). Some choose to go into the minors and others turn it down and go to college. It largely depends on what round you're drafted in, the team, their plans, etc. If you're drafted in the 17th round as a HS student, you're likely far better off going to college if you already had scholarship plans lined up with a good D1 school. You want to get drafted higher and get placed in a higher level of minor league ball (e.g AAA over A) with less time spent out of the MLB.

fartster

Awards
When I say transition, I meant after BBers are done BBing, they can quit the roids and jump on board into some real sports. Wasn't there a basketball player who turned a pro bodybuilder? I think this is vice versa though. LOL.

Come on bras, body builders uses tons, literally, tons of steroids. 2000mg of testosterone week is the minimum, not to mention trembolone, deca, stano, theyre blood are half drugs half blood.

I am not criticizing them, respect them to have that kind of courage, i am afraid of using that much of steroids and try to become mr olympia, but nonetheless they would never pass a drug test for any sport.

fartster

Awards
My original post may be vague considering not all Mr. Olympias became a success in Hollywood as well known as Arnold.

The drug testing in pro sports is a joke, the amount of athletes competing at an elite level that aren't on some type of performance enhancer is virtually non-existent. That being said the sheer volume and variety of drugs that competitive bodybuilders are on today would make it extraordinarily difficult for them to pass even the most lenient drug testing.

As far as the original question as to why bodybuilders aren't transitioning into baseball or other sports, bodybuilding is a highly specialized type of training based more on aesthetics and less on athleticism. To make it into pro sports today you have to start training at a young age and devote all of your time to it. Outside of maybe powerlifting or strongman type of competitions it would be impossible for a bodybuilder to change sports and attempt to transition into another sport trying to compete with athletes that have quite a few years head start on them.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Well Phil Heath played college ball I think and then went on celltech tear until he became Mr Olympia. Is that who you mean?

fartster

Awards
I think one comedian (Conan?) was making fun of baseball at one point and showed a video of it how empty the bleachers were (he's trying to say no body watches baseball). I think it only becomes a big deal sometimes during home games and or for other reasons (a scandal, a new player that got a massive contract). Not so much as to the excitement of the sport, which probably there isn't. There aren't any superbowls or superfights (as with boxing) in baseball but I think it is a healthy sport (less risk).

It is but nobody really cares. Baseball is such a long season and it's draft as well as the draft for Hockey are aired (mostly on ESPN 2) that nobody really cares when the draft happens.

When you get drafted in baseball you never really play right away unlike basketball and football where you get drafted and 4 months later they are playing.

Baseball takes a minute

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
does each state have a minor league or it's usually the states with a sports team?
The cool thing about minor league ball is that it should be every single state that has a team or teams. I'm in Kentucky and Louisville has the Cincinnati Reds AAA affiliate The Louisville Bats. Bowling Green has the Tampa Bay Rays A team, The Bowling Green Hot Rods. Then there are some other independent leagues like the Kentucky Legends in Lexington, but I'm not too familiar with them.

AAA games are great because they're still pretty competitive and a lot of times you'll see a big name player when he is doing a rehab game or games. A games are fun if you don't want to pay attention whatsoever lol. Seriously, a lot of the top D1 college games are a lot better than those.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Tbh honest posing is actually hard work, not kidding, and in my division we only have the 3 obligatory poses and quarter turns but still keeping your whole body tight AND flexed for the whole time your class is on stage(not just your performance) it tricky. I looked like **** in photos of my side shot during pre judging, leaning back to far, shoulder dropped to low, so you have to have a great understanding of your body's presentation and how it'll look best.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tbh honest posing is actually hard work, not kidding, and in my division we only have the 3 obligatory poses and quarter turns but still keeping your whole body tight AND flexed for the whole time your class is on stage(not just your performance) it tricky. I looked like **** in photos of my side shot during pre judging, leaning back to far, shoulder dropped to low, so you have to have a great understanding of your body's presentation and how it'll look best.
It's a skill, even an art when done right. There are even pros that aren't very good at it, haha.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bodybuilding belongs in a class all by itself. The sport (if you consider it one) is about discipline and slaving the body and mind. It is entirely different from other sports. Other sports are first and foremost based on talent and genetics, hands down. Without the two, you won't be playing baseball, soccer, basketball, football, etc in even the college level. There are a host of players that float through college and in some extreme cases, through pro leagues with talent alone. We see it all the time - you know, the guys who believe they ARE the team. The ones that don't participate well with others.

Bodybuilding, what makes bodybuilders often gravitate to it, is the fact that to be successful in it first and foremost you must have discipline and will. If we were to classify the talents of all the other athletics as compared to bodybuilding, I'd say that baseball - extreme eye/hand coordination, football - something similar + superior genetics for size and strength. Basketball - tall and excellent eye/hand coordination, soccer - extreme amounts of endurance.

The amazing aspect of bodybuilding is that even if you have the genetic gift, you still have to work your butt off, completely defy normal social practices, and find a level of discipline that typical athletes know nothing about. The genetics really determine whether you will be an Olympia winner or not - that's about it.

As far as posing, it is a skill. I have that one down but I still get my butt kicked at the end of the day...

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bodybuilding belongs in a class all by itself. The sport (if you consider it one) is about discipline and slaving the body and mind. It is entirely different from other sports. Other sports are first and foremost based on talent and genetics, hands down. Without the two, you won't be playing baseball, soccer, basketball, football, etc in even the college level. There are a host of players that float through college and in some extreme cases, through pro leagues with talent alone. We see it all the time - you know, the guys who believe they ARE the team. The ones that don't participate well with others.

Bodybuilding, what makes bodybuilders often gravitate to it, is the fact that to be successful in it first and foremost you must have discipline and will. If we were to classify the talents of all the other athletics as compared to bodybuilding, I'd say that baseball - extreme eye/hand coordination, football - something similar + superior genetics for size and strength. Basketball - tall and excellent eye/hand coordination, soccer - extreme amounts of endurance.

The amazing aspect of bodybuilding is that even if you have the genetic gift, you still have to work your butt off, completely defy normal social practices, and find a level of discipline that typical athletes know nothing about. The genetics really determine whether you will be an Olympia winner or not - that's about it.

As far as posing, it is a skill. I have that one down but I still get my butt kicked at the end of the day...
I think for the sports outside of bodybuilding, the necessity for genetics/natural born talent varies wildly compared to what practice can do.

E.g. being born 7' tall is obviously going to make you a better center in basketball than the kid who is 6' but works at his craft immensely.

But with baseball, we see some of the strangest physiques (cough, Bartolo Colon, cough) succeed in the sport. So I think someone who is willing to absolutely work his butt off has a better chance of succeeding in baseball than the guy with just the genetic gift (save for like that .001% who are super-human).

And with bodybuilding, I think you obviously have to work hard and when you start talking pro level and Olympia, etc., you have to have both. But at the lower level, I'd almost say it's the opposite of my above example with baseball. I have a friend who was NCAA All American in track and I outworked him all day every day, but the dude looked better than me while eating absolute trash lol. It is what it is.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's not a pro bodybuilder, but Terron Beckham (Odell Beckham's cousin) may have a shot at playing in the NFL and is pretty massive. If nothing else, he's an insane athlete (5'11" 223 lbs, 4.47-sec 40, 36 reps at 225 lb bench, 44.5" vertical). I wouldn't say that being very muscular (although not modern Olympian size) is something that is inherently going to make you slow. Athletes today are bigger AND faster than athletes in the past.
5'11, 223lb is nowhere near bodybuilding status bro. That height to weight ratio is small for bodybuilding, but impressive outside of bodybuilding.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Beckham's deadlift backflip superset with jujimufu was one of the more impressive feats I've seen recently. Especially since his 500# sumo deadlift was about as ugly and inefficient as can be. If you can pull 500 and it look that bad, he'd only be a couple months of coaching from being well into the 600s. If he desired it, anyway.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5'11, 223lb is nowhere near bodybuilding status bro. That height to weight ratio is small for bodybuilding, but impressive outside of bodybuilding.
I know, haha. I said he's not a pro bodybuilder, and of course he's not that size, but he'd probably be the closet thing to a bodybuilder in any major US sport, to my knowledge anyway. Dude's pretty big.

Apparently he used to compete in physique. He says that he was told he should do bodybuilding, but he didn't like being over 230 and "feeling heavy" "being tight all the time" and having "low energy from dieting."

From his Instagram

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think for the sports outside of bodybuilding, the necessity for genetics/natural born talent varies wildly compared to what practice can do.

E.g. being born 7' tall is obviously going to make you a better center in basketball than the kid who is 6' but works at his craft immensely.

But with baseball, we see some of the strangest physiques (cough, Bartolo Colon, cough) succeed in the sport. So I think someone who is willing to absolutely work his butt off has a better chance of succeeding in baseball than the guy with just the genetic gift (save for like that .001% who are super-human).

And with bodybuilding, I think you obviously have to work hard and when you start talking pro level and Olympia, etc., you have to have both. But at the lower level, I'd almost say it's the opposite of my above example with baseball. I have a friend who was NCAA All American in track and I outworked him all day every day, but the dude looked better than me while eating absolute trash lol. It is what it is.
Yeah, my initial post might have been out of place in a few areas now that I think about it. In several cases, and for any sport, one will witness genetics taking someone as far as they end up going. But I agree that practice is huge and will make the difference, but I would say practice will only cause athletes to excel that already have the proper genetic abilities in the first place. I remember playing baseball with several guys thru the years as a kid. They started out awkward and sucked and by the end of my tenure in baseball (over a decade later), those same guys still struggled to be good players, even though they practiced in similar dedication as I did at times.

What I was saying about bodybuilding is that at the amateur level, being ripped alone will get you a 1st or 2nd place trophy. I should clarify that all human beings are capable of being lean/ripped/etc - some will work harder for it than others - but when I referred to "genetics" in bodybuilding, I'm referring to muscular shape and capacity - something none of us can change. This is the one reason I keep trying bodybuilding - I struggle immensely to get lean enough to dominate my class but I keep hearing that if I ever got lean enough, I'd dominate it because of my shape. So many guys would trade their situation for mine in a heart beat when it comes to this because getting rid of fat is a matter of dedication while having good overall shape and muscle bellies is something you either have or not.

Similarly, in baseball/football/soccer/basketball etc, you either have the coordination and mechanical leverage or you don't. Without that genetic ability, at least to some degree, you will be severely limited in your potential in the sport. My limitation was mechanical leverage. I'm short. I had a mean curve and screw ball and I could place the ball anywhere I wanted to. I controlled the plate 95% of the time (save 5% for my occasional hanging curveball, lol). But at 5'5" and 120lbs, I was limited in my speed. A fast pitch for me was 79mph. A normal one was 73-75mph. Not good enough these days and no amount of steroids would have dealt with that either.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, if he was 5'11", 223lbs and 6-7% BF, I would have to utterly disagree. 10-12%? He is a bodybuilder in his off-season. But at 223lbs, even at 5'11" and stage ready (which is typically between 6-8% BF), he'd take his class in a typical qualifier and would likely have a good shot at overall.

Remember, when I say 6-7%, I'm not talking internet BF measurements either. I'm talking DEXA scan measurements. 6% is about as ripped as anyone needs to be before they start to look sickly. 4% and you need to lay in bed with an IV full of sugar and amino's lol.