Are the physique and bikini divisions more vain than open bodybuildng?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
They allow the bikini division to wear jewelry and high heel shoes. Reminds me of a beauty pageant. Not to sound mean but when I see those women up there prancing around dressed the way they are, it reminds me of women in a whore house and men bidding on them to **** them.

Physique mens seems to be more legit but they still wear board shorts as if they are on the beach riding surf boards.

I respect the men and women who put in the work. Sadik Hadsovic is a favorite of mine and my favorite. But whats up with the high heels? I mean really is that necessary? Is the Bikini division even necessary when it comes to the sport of bodybuilding? I have seen that Sadik is not even going to compete in the physique division anymore, as he has lost interest in it because he thinks it takes away from the sport.

Discuss.

Alan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reminds me of a beauty pageant.
Well, these people ARE being judged solely on the way they look, so...........

But whats up with the high heels? I mean really is that necessary? Is the Bikini division even necessary when it comes to the sport of bodybuilding?
Why the focus on the high heels? And I guess you'd have to define "necessary". I would also guess that there is much more interest (not to mention money to be made) regarding the Bikini division these days than the regular women's bodybuilding division(s).

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Calves look better in high heels would be my guess.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
I think part of the reason why things are the way they are today is because of how bodybuilding has morphed over the past decades. I mean look at the men's open division. They are absolute freaks of nature. Not the aesthetic Greek gods that competed in the golden era. Same can be said for women's. The women bodybuilding division got to the point where these women were so grotesque it's not bringing in money and there are no fans to keep it alive. But you know what always brings attention? Sex appeal. That's where the bikini division comes in, hence the high heels and stuff. Now as far as respecting the work they put in, of course you do. Any division of bodybuilding is extremely taxing and difficult. In my opinion they just need to find a balance, which hopefully we will see in the new men's physique classic division

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Its ALL a big vanity show. You are being judge on what you look like.

Bikini is more about eye candy than anything

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thought Sadik was leaving it because he was getting to big? Plus most shows are rigged anyway so mind as well have some sex appeal to sell there stuff

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The bikini division remind me of the female bodybuilders from the early-mid 1980s, Rachel, Gladys, Cory,etc. When women were well proportioned and did not have all that extra weight you see today.

Local tv reporter entered a competition. She did well. Body went from fatty to smoking hot. I find the transformation story as interesting as the finished results. Hopefully provides motivation for other women. We have super hot women in Miami but for my taste they carry too much pansa. Give me that tiny '80s tush and natural breasts any day.

Local 10's Tamika Bickham preparing for physique competition | News - Home
Tamika Bickham places 5th in fitness competition | News - Home

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
You could probably go into your local mall and pick girls out that would do well in the bikini class, i've said that since the beginning lol

Skyesquared

Skyesquared

Awards
They allow the bikini division to wear jewelry and high heel shoes. Reminds me of a beauty pageant. Not to sound mean but when I see those women up there prancing around dressed the way they are, it reminds me of women in a whore house and men bidding on them to **** them.

Physique mens seems to be more legit but they still wear board shorts as if they are on the beach riding surf boards.

I respect the men and women who put in the work. Sadik Hadsovic is a favorite of mine and my favorite. But whats up with the high heels? I mean really is that necessary? Is the Bikini division even necessary when it comes to the sport of bodybuilding? I have seen that Sadik is not even going to compete in the physique division anymore, as he has lost interest in it because he thinks it takes away from the sport.

Discuss.
Bikini and physique divisions were created to make bodybuilding more inclusive -- bikini is something that will obviously appeal to more than just a small niche of gym junkies, and physique is honestly more attainable. Not only did they want more interest in the sport; they wanted more competitors -- like the ones that wanted to be 'toned' and not 'bulky' and would be willing to pay dues and fees for their fifteen seconds on stage.

It just goes on to propagate the idea that "anyone can compete" ... even when they shouldn't. The NPC/IFBB want marketable more than they want muscle. They want glam more than they want athletes. I'm not saying these bikini girls and physique guys aren't in great shape -- obviously, they look good. But "beach" and "bodybuilding" were never supposed to mean the same thing, were they???

And now the NSL has taken that one step further by actually including a BEACH and ATHLETIC subcategory in their bikini/physique division! (AREN'T THESE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO ALL BE ATHLETIC???) ?!?!?!!!?!?!!!!!

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Bikini and physique divisions were created to make bodybuilding more inclusive -- bikini is something that will obviously appeal to more than just a small niche of gym junkies, and physique is honestly more attainable. Not only did they want more interest in the sport; they wanted more competitors -- like the ones that wanted to be 'toned' and not 'bulky' and would be willing to pay dues and fees for their fifteen seconds on stage.

It just goes on to propagate the idea that "anyone can compete" ... even when they shouldn't. The NPC/IFBB want marketable more than they want muscle. They want glam more than they want athletes. I'm not saying these bikini girls and physique guys aren't in great shape -- obviously, they look good. But "beach" and "bodybuilding" were never supposed to mean the same thing, were they???

And now the NSL has taken that one step further by actually including a BEACH and ATHLETIC subcategory in their bikini/physique division! (AREN'T THESE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO ALL BE ATHLETIC???) ?!?!?!!!?!?!!!!!
Best reply of the year. You are a very intelligent individual and I thank you for the well written response. Everyone could learn from you.

Skyesquared

Skyesquared

Awards
Best reply of the year. You are a very intelligent individual and I thank you for the well written response. Everyone could learn from you.
Thank you. That's kind of you to say. I feel like the passion and integrity that used to be bodybuilding has dissipated. Now, we've got these .... lackadaisical, sub-par 'competitors' using the stage as a means of validation/self-affirmation. It kills me because... I've always wanted to compete. But not when I can barely respect the caliber of physique that so often crosses the stage. No one wants to hear that, though. Everyone wants to perpetuate this fantasy that TRYING makes you good enough to compete. (Sorry -- I get a little heated about this, haha.)

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Thank you. That's kind of you to say. I feel like the passion and integrity that used to be bodybuilding has dissipated. Now, we've got these .... lackadaisical, sub-par 'competitors' using the stage as a means of validation/self-affirmation. It kills me because... I've always wanted to compete. But not when I can barely respect the caliber of physique that so often crosses the stage. No one wants to hear that, though. Everyone wants to perpetuate this fantasy that TRYING makes you good enough to compete. (Sorry -- I get a little heated about this, haha.)
I agree 100%!