How long do you guys think Phil Heath will be Mr. Olympia?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Personally, I think Phil makes a decent enough representative of the sport to the outside world, kind of like Jay Cutler, he's clean-cut, attractive, mild, commercial, boring... (I'm a much bigger fan of Jay).

I don't know all the details of how he came up, but I think Phil is basically someone who was not making it in college basketball, and decided to parlay his good genetics for muscle growth into a bodybuilding career... except to me he doesn't really seem like someone who truly loves bodybuilding the way past champs such as Arnold, Ronnie, Jay, Dorian, etc. do.

To me, Phil is more like, "Hey I can make money at this sport because I have "the gift" of good genetics. Minimal passion for bodybuilding, more calculating and business-like.

Compare training intensity for example: Phil is training semi-hard, but for the world champ he's clearly kind of half-assing it and relying on his genetics and drugs to build his physique.

Compare Phil Heath's training intensity to Dorian Yates (or Coleman) for example. Dorian training chest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHymqS5bZdg

Coleman squatting: https://youtu.be/8DdBR7uMN1A?t=7m23s

Phil Heath training/daydreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy98Rc4ft2o

Phil trains at like a "6" in intensity level, where Dorian and Coleman are at a "10."

Who's more inspiring?

I personally would just like a more inspiring champion soon. When I started bodybuilding, Coleman was champ, and he was inspiring as ****. I can't even watch Phil's training videos because I know I usually push myself harder than he pushes himself, which is not inspiring.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
I don't care much for Phil Heath. I've seen how he responds to people on Twitter and other competitors and he's definitely an *******

Lucianooo

Lucianooo

Awards
  • Established
I think that he will get the 2016 Olympia for sure.Ramy needs time to reach that level of granity/maturity.Kai in my honest opinion is out at this point he will never get the Olympia.Branch should retires Jonnhy Jackson too.Dannis and Rhoden...maybe but is VERY HARD.I really like the new guy Dallas McCarver i think HE WILL BE THE NEXT AFTER PHIL ;)

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I think that he will get the 2016 Olympia for sure.Ramy needs time to reach that level of granity/maturity.Kai in my honest opinion is out at this point he will never get the Olympia.Branch should retires Jonnhy Jackson too.Dannis and Rhoden...maybe but is VERY HARD.I really like the new guy Dallas McCarver i think HE WILL BE THE NEXT AFTER PHIL ;)
Juan "Diesel" Morel has a great chance to place at the 2016 Olympia and possibly be Phil Heaths successor. He's pissed that he came in flat this year. If he doesn't come in flat, he comes in top 3 for sure. He won the NY Pro and was on his way but choked in the finals at the Olympia. Watch out he is ready to contend in 2016. On top of it he is ideal from a marketing standpoint for the big supplement companies.

Juan Diesel 2.jpg

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
I could make a video of me doing all types of exercises. As long as I add metal music in the background it's considered a hardcore motivational video lol

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Perhaps but there is no doubt that Ronnie is training harder than Heath, and so is Dorian, by far.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Phil can suck a cawk. He's a terrible representative of the sport. He's so cocky and pompous on social media that I don't see how anyone could look up to him. And I agree he is not motivating at all compared to past champs

jmyers

jmyers

Awards
  • Established
Phil Heath has come out and stated he doesn't train like Yates and Coleman due to injury prevention. He's also stated that due to his genetics he doesn't need to. Not promoting Heath, just what I've read

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
If Dorian or Ronnie competed in this era at their peak age, Phil would get wrecked

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I have a feeling Heath will be champion until he just doesn't want to compete anymore UNLESS Compton comes out of nowhere and dethrones him

Phil will continue to win because its "best for business"

jmyers

jmyers

Awards
  • Established
Just like all the critics and judges have stated, Phil has the least amount of flaws out of everyone

jmyers

jmyers

Awards
  • Established
As much as people do not like it. He's a good representative and ambassador for the sport. Like I stated, I'm not a homer for Phil Heath. I'm actually a big fan of Compton, Morel, Wolf and Centopani

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Why do you think he's a good representative of the sport? When I think of bodybuilding I don't think of Phil Heath. I don't think many others do either. He may have won the Olympia multiple times but he will be forgotten very quickly once he is done. He won't be looked back on as one of the greats like Coleman Yates Arnold etc.. In my opinion at least

jmyers

jmyers

Awards
  • Established
Im 33 and have been following BBing religiously since I was 15 yrs old. So I know all about the "Golden Era". I also compete. It's about the look, character, charisma etc. This is IMO and from what I've been told and heard around the industry. People cannot compare bodybuilders of today with bodybuilders of the past. Two different eras. I disagree with you that he will be forgotten.

StanleyG

StanleyG

Awards
As long as he keeps swinging on Weider LLC's nutsack he will be Mr O.
He does EXACTLY what they want in a Mr O, he polarizes people. You either like him or hate him. Either way its good for business.
I personally do not care for him or his arrogance and would love to see someone dethrone him. That being said so far I don't see any of his Mr O titles being gifts like Arnold's was in '80. Every win he has he has come in such condition that it can be justified that he won. You may have given an edge to someone else but I feel anyone has to admit even if you felt say Kai was better last year it was certainly close enough that it could go either way. I don't think the Mr O has seen its worst moment with Phil Heath yet. I think the time is coming where he will be given a "gift victory" and that is going to piss a lot of people off.
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is they aren't looking for a true ambassador for the sport, they are looking for a marketing tool & Phil certainly fits the bill in that area. He totally lacks character and has no problem looking people in the eye, lying his ass off and saying for example he totally owes his 2013 Mr O title to MuscleTech's protein powder and supplements (his sponsor at the time). Thats the exact quality they are looking for in a Mr O.

jmyers

jmyers

Awards
  • Established
As long as he keeps swinging on Weider LLC's nutsack he will be Mr O.
He does EXACTLY what they want in a Mr O, he polarizes people. You either like him or hate him. Either way its good for business.
I personally do not care for him or his arrogance and would love to see someone dethrone him. That being said so far I don't see any of his Mr O titles being gifts like Arnold's was in '80. Every win he has he has come in such condition that it can be justified that he won. You may have given an edge to someone else but I feel anyone has to admit even if you felt say Kai was better last year it was certainly close enough that it could go either way. I don't think the Mr O has seen its worst moment with Phil Heath yet. I think the time is coming where he will be given a "gift victory" and that is going to piss a lot of people off.
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is they aren't looking for a true ambassador for the sport, they are looking for a marketing tool & Phil certainly fits the bill in that area. He totally lacks character and has no problem looking people in the eye, lying his ass off and saying for example he totally owes his 2013 Mr O title to MuscleTech's protein powder and supplements (his sponsor at the time). Thats the exact quality they are looking for in a Mr O.
Well said bro. But like you stated you either like him or hate him. He's very marketable and that's what the IFBB wants. I'm not a fan of him myself. I actually see big things in the future from Compton

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
You guys are both right in that aspect. It just pisses me off that the IFBB has come to that. Whoever is "most marketable" will stay winning like you guys said.

jmyers

jmyers

Awards
  • Established
It's not that he's winning because he's the most marketable. He's winning because out of all the competitors he's the best on stage. Has the least amount of flaws.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Not sure but I don't like him

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Phil Heath has come out and stated he doesn't train like Yates and Coleman due to injury prevention. He's also stated that due to his genetics he doesn't need to. Not promoting Heath, just what I've read
True but that emphasizes to me how "business-like" it is for him. Ronnie didn't NEED to squat or deadlift 800 lbs. for his videos, or do dumbbell bench with 200 lbs. dumbbells a few weeks out from the Olympia, but he did it because, I assume in part, he loves bodybuilding and hitting new PRs. Perhaps it was unwise of him to do this given his surgeries, though I don't know what caused those issues.

Ronnie pushing himself to new heights is inspiring. Phil taking it easy so he can reliably collect a paycheck isn't.

Phil IMO is just treating this like a business and minimizing risk to maximize profit... smart strategy for him, but not an inspiring champion bodybuilder, and not similar to almost any other past champs I know of, including Arnold, Dorian, Ronnie.

Also, I still think you can train hard with responsible weights and do so safely. Phil doesn't train very heavy AND he doesn't try very hard. He's here collecting on his genetics to make money, I don't think he truly loves bodybuilding the way past champs do, and it's pretty dull for the rest of us.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
True but that emphasizes to me how "business-like" it is for him. Ronnie didn't NEED to squat or deadlift 800 lbs. for his videos, or do dumbbell bench with 200 lbs. dumbbells a few weeks out from the Olympia, but he did it because, I assume in part, he loves bodybuilding and hitting new PRs. Perhaps it was unwise of him to do this given his surgeries, though I don't know what caused those issues.

Ronnie pushing himself to new heights is inspiring. Phil taking it easy so he can reliably collect a paycheck isn't.

Phil IMO is just treating this like a business and minimizing risk to maximize profit... smart strategy for him, but not an inspiring champion bodybuilder, and not similar to almost any other past champs I know of, including Arnold, Dorian, Ronnie.

Also, I still think you can train hard with responsible weights and do so safely. Phil doesn't train very heavy AND he doesn't try very hard. He's here collecting on his genetics to make money, I don't think he truly loves bodybuilding the way past champs do, and it's pretty dull for the rest of us.
well said man. very well said.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Not a big Heath fan...ass