Gjackson

Gjackson

Awards
Monday chest and back compound 5x5
Tuesday legs and shoulders compound 5x5
Wed chest and back hypertrophy
Thursday legs and shoulders hypertrophy
Friday arms

Any suggestions trying to add strength into my training so thought this might work best?

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I'm running the stronglift program 5x5. Strength gains are great, I just miss the high volume work though. In about a week I'm switching back to bbuilding style workouts

ShreddyGainz

Awards
If going for strength low reps heavy will get it done. 5x5 is good. But switch it up...many ways but an idea
Week 1 5x5
Week 2 5x4
Week 3 6x3 (increasing weight each week)
Week 4 max out
Repeat
Also read up on conjugate training I had some great strength/power results from few months of that

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm using the 5x5 stronglift app on my phone. It's focused mainly on the compound lifts: squat, benchpress, overhead press, deadlift, and rows. I can honestly say that my strength has increased using this app.

ShreddyGainz

Awards
Awesome! Yes of course the big compounds are the best for strength. I personally still would throw in some isolated stuff at the end (hamstring specific for legs, triceps specific after your bench etc ) but hey all in all if your making progress keep doing what you're doing! What kind of numbers are you putting up? And again if you want strength read up on conjugate and the westside barbell club. Could be something for you to implement later when you hit a plateu

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've done 5x5, never had success. I have the most success with growth when doing 8-12 reps slow and steady for the first 45 minutes of my workout followed by 20-30 minutes of 5-8 reps of heavy weight with partial reps and cheating.

Mike

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Awesome! Yes of course the big compounds are the best for strength. I personally still would throw in some isolated stuff at the end (hamstring specific for legs, triceps specific after your bench etc ) but hey all in all if your making progress keep doing what you're doing! What kind of numbers are you putting up? And again if you want strength read up on conjugate and the westside barbell club. Could be something for you to implement later when you hit a plateu
I tried throwing some iso when I was on it and it did hinder my recovery for the next lift. I think if you actually follow the program you'll find yourself done after the 3rd compound exercise.

ShreddyGainz

Awards
Yea the isolated stuff at the end as in the end of the workout last excercise, not between lifts. Just personal preference for me because I feel putting some attention into my secondary muscle groups ,such as hamstrings, gives them more strength to assist the primary muscle, the quad, and to prevent muscle imbalance. But that would also depend on your stronger vs weaker areas.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5x5 by itself is a good starter program for a few months. Add in the accessory lifts as you become accustomed. Then consider some of advanced ones but you posted this in bodybuilding and it is more of strength building exercise than the type of routines I see for bodybuilding. You are doing 5 reps at about 90-95% of 1RM and I thought bb training is less percentage and far more reps.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yea the isolated stuff at the end as in the end of the workout last excercise, not between lifts. Just personal preference for me because I feel putting some attention into my secondary muscle groups ,such as hamstrings, gives them more strength to assist the primary muscle, the quad, and to prevent muscle imbalance. But that would also depend on your stronger vs weaker areas.
Im kind of confused by this statement. What do you mean that the hamstrings are the secondary muscle group to the quads? Are you talking about a specific movement? Squats? Deadlifts? A lot of people arent quad dominant squatters. And your quads absolutely shouldn't be the prime mover in a deadlift.

GainsforDayz

Awards
Monday chest and back compound 5x5
Tuesday legs and shoulders compound 5x5
Wed chest and back hypertrophy
Thursday legs and shoulders hypertrophy
Friday arms

Any suggestions trying to add strength into my training so thought this might work best?
Did this actually work? What were your results after a month or so?

Jsmcougar68

Awards
I workout on a 4 set scheme per exercise (same weight each set) with 2min rest between sets and shoot for 6-10 reps per set (optimal average range for strength and hypertrophy) and keep moving the weight up each workout until u are basically barely getting 5-6 reps on ur 4th set. Works adequately for me right now my flat bench is at 325lbs and overhead military press (no legs feet parallel) max is 195lbs.