pro bodybuilders lying about their diets?

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
do they? whenever they post a daily meal plan I'm always left scratching my head... for example look at dusty hanshaw's diet:

M1-
1 scoop Compete
1 scoop Maximize Inntense
3 scoops iForce Protean
2 cups oats
2 pop tarts

Train
2 scoops iForce Compete

M2-
3 scoops iForce Protean
2 pop tarts

M3-
10oz lean ground turkey
2 cups jasmine rice
2 Athletic Multi

M4-
10oz lean ground turkey
2 cups jasmine rice

M5-
10oz chicken
1 cup rice

M6-
12oz flank
8oz green beans

2 lights out

so pretty much ZERO healthy fats, and I'm supposed to believe that 2 cups of rice is going to fuel all 290 lbs of dusty hanshaw? tbh it's as if he threw the pop tarts in there just as a subliminal *wink, wink!* as if to say "haha you know it's all BS and I'm not telling you anything!"

lol I think I must be really missing something...

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5 cups rice, if it's measured uncooked, will be lots and lots of calories. 1/4 cup of uncooked jasmine rice = 150kcal. Even then, 1 cup cooked is probably about a 1/4 cup uncooked. So 2 cups cooked is around 300-400kcals.

That's a lot of food posted there. I dunno if it's enough to feed 290lbs, but when u have insulin 2-3 times a day, u don't have to eat so much to get huge. Ur body shuts off catabolic activity for 4 hours at a time and it adds up.

Low fat diet is the only way for a pro bodybuilder with regular insulin use and steroids.

For what it's worth, I saw Phil Heath's off season diet and his came in at 9000kcals/day...

alex070707

Awards
Possible, too lazy to calculate but could be his cutting diet.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He's prepping for USA's right now, so if that was recent yes it's his contest prep diet. His diet will change daily.

Also he's not a pro....yet.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
I think fueledpassion has a good point with insulin playing a big role, genetics probably also.... it just seems so strange because I eat way more calories than that, I NEED more calories than that.. and look at him and then look at me lol

even if this is his cutting diet I feel as tho he has some metabolic damage and his trainer is cutting calories way too low because, I mean at that weight, with all that muscle that should be burning through calories like it aint ****... and that's all he eats

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think fueledpassion has a good point with insulin playing a big role, genetics probably also.... it just seems so strange because I eat way more calories than that, I NEED more calories than that.. and look at him and then look at me lol

even if this is his cutting diet I feel as tho he has some metabolic damage and his trainer is cutting calories way too low because, I mean at that weight, with all that muscle that should be burning through calories like it aint ****... and that's all he eats
Lol metabolic damage. His trainer surely doesn't know what he's doing. Do you even know who Dusty is? You're looking at one day of his diet. Stop extrapolating 1 day into knowing what him and his trainer are doing over an entire prep.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol metabolic damage. His trainer surely doesn't know what he's doing. Do you even know who Dusty is? You're looking at one day of his diet. Stop extrapolating 1 day into knowing what him and his trainer are doing over an entire prep.
Another great point.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
royd the noyd yea he's Dusty Hanshaw, he's a bodybuilder. :D pretty cool guy it seems, you should check him out brah!

and he posted that on a forum to give an example to his fans of what his diet was like, if that was only 1 strange day of his diet.. and the other 22 weeks were way different, then that sure would be a really bad example he gave.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
do they? whenever they post a daily meal plan I'm always left scratching my head... for example look at dusty hanshaw's diet:

M1-
1 scoop Compete - 10kcals
1 scoop Maximize Inntense
3 scoops iForce Protean - 420kcals
2 cups oats - 600cals
2 pop tarts - 400kcals lol, obviously he is shootin up insulin. Probably following 7-10g/iu here so who knows how much he is taking.

Train
2 scoops iForce Compete - 20kcals

M2-
3 scoops iForce Protean - 420kcals
2 pop tarts - 400kcals

M3-
10oz lean ground turkey -300kcals
2 cups jasmine rice - About 320kcals (if its 2 cups cooked. Somehow, I think he is doing 2 cups uncooked, which is 1280cals)
Athletic Multi

M4-
10oz lean ground turkey - 300kcals
2 cups jasmine rice - 320kcals (again we're not sure here)

M5-
10oz chicken - 250kcals
1 cup rice - 160kcals

M6-
12oz flank - 540kcals
8oz green beans - about 50kcals

2 lights out

so pretty much ZERO healthy fats, and I'm supposed to believe that 2 cups of rice is going to fuel all 290 lbs of dusty hanshaw? tbh it's as if he threw the pop tarts in there just as a subliminal *wink, wink!* as if to say "haha you know it's all BS and I'm not telling you anything!"

lol I think I must be really missing something...
total = 4500kcals, if you count the jasmine as cups cooked. If you count them as cups uncooked, then the number goes upwards of 7000kcals.

4500kcals is very believable when on insulin, androgens and GH to cut with. Easily could hold on to mass with all the gear and that many calories.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
total = 4500kcals, if you count the jasmine as cups cooked. If you count them as cups uncooked, then the number goes upwards of 7000kcals.

4500kcals is very believable when on insulin, androgens and GH to cut with. Easily could hold on to mass with all the gear and that many calories.
Great point. A top PLer once told me "If you can't grow on 4500 cals, you're either lying about how much you eat, inconsistent with how much you eat, or you weigh up over three bills."

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
im pretty certain I saw on video him measuring rice cooked, it would be a big hassle if he measured it uncooked

I don't know a ton about the drug side, but i'll take your word that it's believable, thanks guy

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im pretty certain I saw on video him measuring rice cooked, it would be a big hassle if he measured it uncooked

I don't know a ton about the drug side, but i'll take your word that it's believable, thanks guy
Yeah, but it's still his cutting cycle likely.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Lol-it looks a hell of a lot different than my cutting cycle for comp. Its a lot of carbs for comp prep IMO.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Lol-it looks a hell of a lot different than my cutting cycle for comp. Its a lot of carbs for comp prep IMO.
Carbs are not the enemy bruh! You need carbs when lean and wanting to get leaner IF you want to keep performance in the gym up and maintain muscle

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And when cutting from 290 the carb quantity would be quite different from a 208. Then throw the ancillaries in and the whole thing gets skewed again.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And when cutting from 290 the carb quantity would be quite different from a 208. Then throw the ancillaries in and the whole thing gets skewed again.
Well, when u run the right dose of T3/Clen combo, it hardly matters if u cut calories. At that point ur just tryin to do everything possible to resist the weight loss by eating more and training more often.

Couple that with GH and high doses of androgens and u have the ability to cut down to sub 10% bf with 500 - 800g carbs daily.

When I ran Test/Tren at a VERY low dose, I ate 400 carbs every day and got down to 9% bf.

If GH, slin and fat burners were also in the picture, I might actually put on lean weight in the process.

captain TM

captain TM

Awards
He might do lot's of cardio + weight training + proper cycle !!!

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
This diet to me is sort of odd, considering if you watch any of his youtube videos, he is INSANELY strict about what he puts into his body.. somethings telling me this is about 50/50 truth/lie.

Now as far as the poptarts goes, maybe hes looking to get a sponsorship ;)

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This diet to me is sort of odd, considering if you watch any of his youtube videos, he is INSANELY strict about what he puts into his body.. somethings telling me this is about 50/50 truth/lie.

Haha, or its because they follow a large slin dosage. He does it twice, during peri workout which tells me it's a large dose of Humulin-R preworkout.

You can always tell when bodybuilders dose their slin based on the size of the meal. Phil Heath does it pre/post workout as 6000kcals in 4 meals follows his mid-afternoon workout.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
total = 4500kcals, if you count the jasmine as cups cooked. If you count them as cups uncooked, then the number goes upwards of 7000kcals. 4500kcals is very believable when on insulin, androgens and GH to cut with. Easily could hold on to mass with all the gear and that many calories.
Bingo!!! This diet is real. My friend just competed on the IFBB stage recently and he was about 250 on stage and was at about 4,200 cals pre contest. Gets close to 6k in off season

Even john meadows at 230 is down to about 3,000-3,200 cals pre contest.

People are always looking to call pros on BS to justify why they are the way they are. Fact is, they're better then you and I. Just like Lebron James is better at basketball and Sydney Crosby is a better hockey player. They're professionals....best of the best

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Genetics is what get these athletes to that top % of the population. Not to be hating on Dusty here but his genetics haven't helped in regards to him breaking into the Pro ranks.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Genetics is what get these athletes to that top % of the population. Not to be hating on Dusty here but his genetics haven't helped in regards to him breaking into the Pro ranks.
I have to disagree here! Genetics play a role, but the pros have been lifting forever and have all day to devote to bodybuilding! Bodybuilding is there job! They also have 10s of thousands of dollars they spend on drugs yearly!

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There certainly is such a thing as cycling smart. Some pros cycle smart, some rely purely on genetics to keep them competitive.

Smart cyclers are the ones that make great gains in short order even despite having been lifting and cycling for years.

Two best examples in IFBB today are Flex Lewis and Big Ramy. When Flex has taken off an entire year twice in the past, he came back with notable improvements, even after getting his pro card. In fact, he's taking off another year to do it again and I'm anxious to see him weigh in at 225lbs and stand next to Dexter in the O' Show.

Big Ramy, well, dude has added 100 lbs of solid mass in less than 3 years. So yeah, he's got the pharmacological/hormonal axis manipulation down pat.

You can't just perpetually pump ur self full of drugs. You'll stop responding eventually and stall out. The top Pro's know this all too well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to disagree here! Genetics play a role, but the pros have been lifting forever and have all day to devote to bodybuilding! Bodybuilding is there job! They also have 10s of thousands of dollars they spend on drugs yearly!
Genetics play the ultimate role in everything. The dosages between high level amateurs and pros is not insanely different, but their genetics are. Heath and Cutler both broke in as pros at a young age because their genetics are outstanding. This doesn't just apply to bodybuilding either; this applies to everything.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't have to look any further than this forum at all the gear being run by members. Don't see many on here rocking pro cards. Look at Dusty. He has been trying for years to pull down a pro card. Local shows he can stand apart from the crowd. Put him up with the true genetic freaks and his negatives come out.

I watched a recent local BB show recently and the difference between a Pro and amateur is startling. David Henry and Troy Alves dwarfed everyone on stage.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't have to look any further than this forum at all the gear being run by members. Don't see many on here rocking pro cards. Look at Dusty. He has been trying for years to pull down a pro card. Local shows he can stand apart from the crowd. Put him up with the true genetic freaks and his negatives come out. I watched a recent local BB show recently and the difference between a Pro and amateur is startling. David Henry and Troy Alves dwarfed everyone on stage.
Well AZMIDLYF clearly you haven't seen my update pics.....I wish lol. But the guy that won my class did just turn pro so I at least competed with one. We were actually next to each other during 1st call outs.

Enough with my glory story.....you're right. In an entirely different level. Even my buddy who is a pro and competed recently placed middle of the pack and he's about 280, in the off season, said Rollie is just a fukcin monster

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like Heath said. You can't do what I can do. No matter what you take or how much.

They are the .05% of the world with the genetic makeup to be what they are. Period.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like Heath said. You can't do what I can do. No matter what you take or how much.

They are the .05% of the world with the genetic makeup to be what they are. Period.
Thing that's interesting is that they'd never had know this about themselves without the gear.

The irony. It takes gear regardless. But genetics will get u to the top versus "middle of the pack" as mentioned before.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thing that's interesting is that they'd never had know this about themselves without the gear.

The irony. It takes gear regardless. But genetics will get u to the top versus "middle of the pack" as mentioned before.
Dats right

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
How does someone identify if someone has good genetics? I've sen Jay cutler as a teen and he was a twig with no muscle at all lol

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How does someone identify if someone has good genetics? I've sen Jay cutler as a teen and he was a twig with no muscle at all lol
Right, no one knows without first seeing the individual start developing a little muscle maturity and of course adding some size.

I didn't think I was bb'r type until I added about 35-40lbs. Started seeing a very noticeable "x-frame" with decent proportions. Now it just takes work ethic and dedication to fill in the gaps.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
do they lie?
the only thing he may be fibbing about there, is the iforce proteins.. :p
so pretty much ZERO healthy fats
since when do pro's or gearheads in general, worry more about balanced and healthy nutrition over sh1t that gets them growth?
and maybe he's taking omegas via supplementation, and downing olive oil right outta the jug .. just saying
and I'm supposed to believe that 2 cups of rice is going to fuel all 290 lbs of dusty hanshaw?
well that was massive oversight on your part wasn't it?
i'll be gentle on you and just ignore that part..

tbh it's as if he threw the pop tarts in there just as a subliminal *wink, wink!* as if to say "haha you know it's all BS and I'm not telling you anything!"
The man likes his poppy tarts!
this consuming of pop tarts is actually pretty common among the pros (and others as well), following the training session
yes gents - all you guys who run around saying timing doesn't matter, the practice of intelligent insulin spike timing is real!

it just seems so strange because I eat way more calories than that, I NEED more calories than that..
oh do you rly? at 170lbs??
please expand on this science fiction you speak of....
I feel as tho he has some metabolic damage and his trainer is cutting calories way too low because
lol..no

huh? that makes no sense....it would actually be bigger hassle measuring cooked than uncooked, and less messy measuring dry as well....i don't know how the man really measures his foods (nor do i care), but in my own experience the mass majority of guys (inc myself) measure things dry & precooked, not cooked

and not to be insensitive or bashing and no offense intended, but lookit your physique dude compared to these guys...i mean, comparatively speaking you are quite twiggish, despite being cut, you simply do not have the muscle mass to sustain such diet (and maybe that diet of yours is the reason why you do not have said muscle mass to begin with?? something to think about)

Well, when u run the right dose of T3/Clen combo, it hardly matters if u cut calories. At that point ur just tryin to do everything possible to resist the weight loss by eating more and training more often.

Couple that with GH and high doses of androgens and u have the ability to cut down to sub 10% bf with 500 - 800g carbs daily.

When I ran Test/Tren at a VERY low dose, I ate 400 carbs every day and got down to 9% bf.

If GH, slin and fat burners were also in the picture, I might actually put on lean weight in the process.
true
comparison purposes: on the same tren/test (reasonable doses), i too consume anywhere from 350-600g carbs, and stay lean under 10%
i stay lean in general, and consume plenty of carbs..this is not a rare thing, and the fact that it is not understood has more to do with lack of education by the general masses, than anything about extraordinary metabolisms

There certainly is such a thing as cycling smart. Some pros cycle smart, some rely purely on genetics to keep them competitive.
Smart cyclers are the ones that make great gains in short order even despite having been lifting and cycling for years.
You can't just perpetually pump ur self full of drugs. You'll stop responding eventually and stall out. The top Pro's know this all too well.
mmm i will disagree here
not all guys cycle - in fact i would say more pros do NOT cycle, than do..
now - do they do everything under the sun all the time, at all times? no
but you can bet they are on something at all times during their competitive lifetime..

You don't have to look any further than this forum at all the gear being run by members. Don't see many on here rocking pro cards.
lqtm
not to be judgmental or a jerk, but majority of guys using gear on this forum have no business doing it to begin with..
is downright scary what some of these guys claim they do, only to look like very very average (and even below-average) joe blows

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would consider blasting and cruising the same concept as cycling on and off.

It's not the amount used or whether they have any exogenous androgens in their system or not, but rather toggling from high to low doses. I should have clarified this as I don't believe pros come off of steroids at all. I do believe they toggle between blasting and cruising though.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I would consider blasting and cruising the same concept as cycling on and off.

It's not the amount used or whether they have any exogenous androgens in their system or not, but rather toggling from high to low doses. I should have clarified this as I don't believe pros come off of steroids at all. I do believe they toggle between blasting and cruising though.
cool i was hoping that is what you meant ;)
that said - not ALL pros blast & cruise (some do cycle on/off, in the true base sense of the protocol), but yeah sure the ones we know about and compete in Olympia and whatnot, that's no-brainer

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
snagencyv2.0 you just wrote so much **** that I'm not going to even bother replying to it all so yea you win, I lose, sure. I just cannot believe how arrogant you are, is that how you talk to strangers in real life? I don't think it is but man that would be awful. this is just an internet bodybuilding forum bro and all I did was ask a question.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
clayface91 - seriously? :D i gotta respond to more of your nonsense?

let me get this straight: you start a thread, accusing an established bb'er who has worked tremendously hard to get to where he is at, of lying..

then, your inept reading skills butcher the dietary totals somehow and you have the nerve to say that you eat more food than that at your 170lb weight (no i think the proper words you used were you NEED more food than that)..and you make other judgmental remarks in haphazard and ignorant (read: lack of education) fashion..

now -- you get all bent out of shape when someone points out all of your inconsistencies?

is this real life? :think:

my favorite tho: all this angst you spew at me with these butthurt sensitive feelings, when you said this above (again your own words):
this is just an internet bodybuilding forum bro..
what happened to this just being an internet forum, and why you get all hurt?

n/m, i really do not need nor want to know

you try to have a good night kiddo, cheers

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
clayface91 - seriously? :D i gotta respond to more of your nonsense?

let me get this straight: you start a thread, accusing an established bb'er who has worked tremendously hard to get to where he is at, of lying..

then, your inept reading skills butcher the dietary totals somehow and you have the nerve to say that you eat more food than that at your 170lb weight (no i think the proper words you used were you NEED more food than that)..and you make other judgmental remarks in haphazard and ignorant (read: lack of education) fashion..

now -- you get all bent out of shape when someone points out all of your inconsistencies?

is this real life? :think:

my favorite tho: all this angst you spew at me with these butthurt sensitive feelings, when you said this above (again your own words):

what happened to this just being an internet forum, and why you get all hurt?

n/m, i really do not need nor want to know

you try to have a good night kiddo, cheers
DIDNT READ LOL

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
this consuming of pop tarts is actually pretty common among the pros (and others as well), following the training session
yes gents - all you guys who run around saying timing doesn't matter, the practice of intelligent insulin spike timing is real!
I never mentioned anything about the timing or insulin spike etc.. I just thought it was funny that a pro would include this in his "Structured" diet plan, obviously everybody and their brother eats them, I was just finding it silly that he came out and said it.

dont drag me down with the rest of the crew!!

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never mentioned anything about the timing or insulin spike etc.. I just thought it was funny that a pro would include this in his "Structured" diet plan, obviously everybody and their brother eats them, I was just finding it silly that he came out and said it.

dont drag me down with the rest of the crew!!
I get that. I wouldn't consider poptarts as an ideal daily meal but I sure do enjoy them myself.

hernandez910

hernandez910

Awards
Haha I know if I was on steroids and they asked what my diet was like, I would probably say I eat grass and squirrels or something crazy. They will have to believe me cause I will be huge. The best answers are in the Arnold encyclopedia, everything you need to know about bodybuilding.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
and not to be insensitive or bashing and no offense intended, but lookit your physique dude compared to these guys...i mean, comparatively speaking you are quite twiggish, despite being cut, you simply do not have the muscle mass to sustain such diet (and maybe that diet of yours is the reason why you do not have said muscle mass to begin with?? something to think about)
Yeah, the difference in muscle mass would a major factor. I wish I could eat that many carbs prepping for a comp.

and what exactly would you diet suggestion be to increase my lack in said muscle mass be? If you're just going to suggest adding a **** load of carbs to every meal and eat as much as I can I will laugh. I've been there and done that.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Yeah, the difference in muscle mass would a major factor. I wish I could eat that many carbs prepping for a comp.

and what exactly would you diet suggestion be to increase my lack in said muscle mass be? If you're just going to suggest adding a **** load of carbs to every meal and eat as much as I can I will laugh. I've been there and done that.
nope, my advice surely wouldn't be what you are espousing, so no need to laff mate..
I do dietary guidance for ppl thru my personal coaching online work - I do not do cookie-cutter routines that have been bandied about for yrs...if you are interested, you can pm me, thanks