pedrizzleC

pedrizzleC

Awards
Throwback bodybuilders such as;
Ed Corney
Frank Zane
Lou Ferrigno
Franco Columbu
And of course the greatest idol of all time, the legend, the big dog, the greatest;
Arnold Schwarzenegger
were way better looking in my opinion than those of today. Eghem why? Because it doesn't look natural. Everyone has a nasty HGH gut (disgusting) and they don't even look normal. Too much. No.
1970s over these fake tanned gorrillian pumped out stomach'd bodybuilders.

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
Physique bodybuilding is closer to the really oldschool bodybuilders, I think. And Olympia just added that for their 2013 competition, so that's good news.

silvex

silvex

Awards
The sport will evolve and progress as time moves on, who knows!
In 20 years todays mass monsters may be nothing compared to them.

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
I think it'd depend on what kind of drugs are developed in the future, since there's obviously a limit currently -- even for people using gear.

chelsea0jay

Awards
The guys from way back when didn't have access tot he same drugs that are out now. But i completely agree with Mens Physique being closer to traditional bodybuilders. Personally i enjoy following both,. The full BBers for how ridiculously big theyve trained their bodies to be and the physique because it can be more aesthetically pleasing.

Messer

Messer

Awards
I agree and I'm not even into body building like that. I train for climbing and the guys now are just outright monsters where as the old school guys looked more like the greek gods

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, GH permagut does suck and this downfall was totally not necessary and a result of supra systemic IGF binding to the intestines. It would have never happened if we just went with GHRP's instead, which give the same effect on growth as HGH if u can actually get ur hands on legit stuff.

So maybe in the future bb'ers will start getting more streamlined midsections. Just depends on how long the bro science of needing high systemic IGF levels will last.

Hopefully, IFBB will break pro bb'ing into many weight classes, like three maybe. Something like: up to 199, 200-225, & 226+. That gives all heights of men a chance to have a streamlined look and still be thick and massive. Take points off for competitors that have dystentia and 38" waistes...I know, I'm dreamin'

Messer

Messer

Awards
Well, GH permagut does suck and this downfall was totally not necessary and a result of supra systemic IGF binding to the intestines. It would have never happened if we just went with GHRP's instead, which give the same effect on growth as HGH if u can actually get ur hands on legit stuff.

So maybe in the future bb'ers will start getting more streamlined midsections. Just depends on how long the bro science of needing high systemic IGF levels will last.

Hopefully, IFBB will break pro bb'ing into many weight classes, like three maybe. Something like: up to 199, 200-225, & 226+. That gives all heights of men a chance to have a streamlined look and still be thick and massive. Take points off for competitors that have dystentia and 38" waistes...I know, I'm dreamin'
Why does GH cause the gut? it's so weird seeing a 6 pack on a keg

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I used to feel this way but now I do like a lot of the bodybuilders I see. Maybe that's because ultimately my long term goal is to be a 250+ lb monster?

I do draw a lot of inspiration from the oldschool guys too though, and smaller guys. Specifically Franco Columbu, Sergio Oliva, Tom Platz, Lee Priest, I know Lee is a little newer but he's never gone for mass over aesthetics(when it comes to competition time).

Also though I of course draw tons of inspiration from newer bodybuilders that I want to be on the level of someday like Jay Cutler, Ronnie Coleman, Branch Warren, Dennis Wolf to name a few.

I guess when it comes down to it though I'm a big fan of all bodybuilders from all generations. I do think that the bodybuilders today are on a higher level though. You can't deny that bodybuilders today aren't building a lot more muscle, and putting a lot more work in to get it. Some is drugs, but some was drugs in the 70s too.

Mystere3

Awards
Sergio at the 72 O would do well in a show today. 5'11 255 is plenty big and his detail is up to today's standards. 64" chest with 28" waist and 23" arms is just absurd, though.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why does GH cause the gut? it's so weird seeing a 6 pack on a keg
Exogenous HGH raises systemic IGF (which isnt safe) and that IGF binds to receptors in the gut, particularly in the intestines. This causes gut bloating.

acethetics

acethetics

Awards
HGH and Insulin is what changed it all

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
HGH and Insulin is what changed it all
I wouldn't say changed it all. I think 8000+ calories a day for many pro bodybuilders when bulking nowadays is probably a little more than what they were eating in the 70s too. Diet has changed a lot. 70s BB was also pretty much all about low, low carbs and now most pros are eating a significant amount of carbs even cutting.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't say changed it all. I think 8000+ calories a day for many pro bodybuilders when bulking nowadays is probably a little more than what they were eating in the 70s too. Diet has changed a lot. 70s BB was also pretty much all about low, low carbs and now most pros are eating a significant amount of carbs even cutting.
Yep. John Parillo paved the way in this method. Low fat, high carb diets in lieu of synthetic GH and various roids and insulin.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I think it's possible to manipulate your insulin levels with carbs enough to affect mass. I think people undermine the importance of carbs, especially simple sugars. I've gained a significant amount of mass since I started taking in a large amount of simple sugars post workout while bulking, I know gummy bears are popular I prefer something with chocolate or Mt Dew lol. I actually learned about that from an old powerlifter. Keep in mind I am a gear user, not slin or GH though.

I've never done a contest prep but I'd assume healthy carbs and carb cycling(pre and post workout, early day) are critical during that time.

Mystere3

Awards
Glycofuse or vitargo work really well too, or if you're rich, plazma.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I like the look of the old school guys over the new age guys. but there are some good ones in the new era... not as many.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the look of the old school guys over the new age guys. but there are some good ones in the new era... not as many.
I think this is why the 212 class is gaining popularity at a quick rate. They just look more realistic. Instead of 22" arms they have 19's, instead of 30" legs its 28's etc etc.

Now if only they can get taller, 5'8 - 5'10" fellas in the 212, that'd give us the old days again..

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I think this is why the 212 class is gaining popularity at a quick rate. They just look more realistic. Instead of 22" arms they have 19's, instead of 30" legs its 28's etc etc.

Now if only they can get taller, 5'8 - 5'10" fellas in the 212, that'd give us the old days again..
I feel like proportionally many of the 212 guys look the same as the bigger guys. Including the guts on some, like Jose Raymond. Their arms and wheels may not be as big but they are much shorter so I think it's really about the same.

That being said there are some 'smaller' guys in 212 I just feel likr they aren't the ones placing in the top.

Messer

Messer

Awards

wait how tall are these guys if 5'8-5'10 is taller lol

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wait how tall are these guys if 5'8-5'10 is taller lol
They are my height = 5'5".

Taller ones are 5'7". Basically, Dexter Jackson minus 15-35lbs.

Thanks to Flex Lewis, u basically have to dial in right at 212lbs to be competitive.

Messer

Messer

Awards

Thanks to Flex Lewis, u basically have to dial in right at 212lbs to be competitive.
Why are shorter guys the ideal for being muscle freak beasts and not guys my height like 6ft and up?

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards

after the Arnold Flex mentioned he thought 212 was holding him back though and he wants to compete back in the open

But I totally agree with what's said here in terms if aesthetics

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why are shorter guys the ideal for being muscle freak beasts and not guys my height like 6ft and up?
Well u are! Its not the height but rather the weight class. I think my proper weight is about 190lbs show ready.

6' ers probably between 230-250lbs. But in the open class, you'd be too slender I think. 6' would need to be 280+ to be competitive.

Messer

Messer

Awards
Well u are! Its not the height but rather the weight class. I think my proper weight is about 190lbs show ready.

6' ers probably between 230-250lbs. But in the open class, you'd be too slender I think. 6' would need to be 280+ to be competitive.
I could never imagine weighing 230lbs that seems big as **** at 6ft

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could never imagine weighing 230lbs that seems big as **** at 6ft
The hope is that taller pros will start getting into the 212 and changing the scope of the contestants. At least give the judges something different. I think 5'10 @ 210lbs and ripped would look ideal.

Mystere3

Awards
The old school body builders weren't very big, except for sergio, later arnold, and Lou. I'm 6'1 240 at ~12% or so and would be 225ish at their bf %, which is about as big as arnold was for his earlier Olympias and proportionately as big as lou was. Sergio is obviously much bigger, as big as modern bbs, pretty much.

I'm a big guy but next to Dennis wolf I look like a little kid.

Mystere3

Awards
The hope is that taller pros will start getting into the 212 and changing the scope of the contestants. At least give the judges something different. I think 5'10 @ 210lbs and ripped would look ideal.
That's like physique... Jeff seid is pretty much those proportions.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's like physique... Jeff seid is pretty much those proportions.
Cept that their leg development sucks butt and they cant pose worth a crap.

Half the fight on stage is knowing how to show ur strengths and hide ur weaknesses to the judges. Physique doesnt have enough opportunity for the contestants to angle it differently and have variety in their routines. They all perform the same movements. No grace, no individuality. Its boring to watch.

This boardshort business encourages the contestants to drop the hardest aspect of training out - LEGS.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Cept that their leg development sucks butt and they cant pose worth a crap.

Half the fight on stage is knowing how to show ur strengths and hide ur weaknesses to the judges. Physique doesnt have enough opportunity for the contestants to angle it differently and have variety in their routines. They all perform the same movements. No grace, no individuality. Its boring to watch.

This boardshort business encourages the contestants to drop the hardest aspect of training out - LEGS.
I agree 100% and I compete in physique. For that class to evolve into being a respected competitive class they are going to have to loose the board shorts, my vote would be a sport short/ high cut boxer brief style to force the display of quad and hamstring growth. They are also going to need to get away from the "model posing". There needs to be some actual display of muscle definition through flexing vs just standing there "half flexed".

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
It's all about proportions. Someone 6ft+ these days has to be 280-300 LEAN to look as big as someone 5'8 at 250-260(Phil Heath).

Also the #1 reason everyone seems totally ignorant on would be that the average height in America is about 5'10, and most pros doing well these days are American. I believe I heard somewhere too that most of the American male population is between 5'8 and 5'10, which would be in line with that average. Also supposedly average male height for the whole world is around 5'6-5'7.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's all about proportions. Someone 6ft+ these days has to be 280-300 LEAN to look as big as someone 5'8 at 250-260(Phil Heath).

Also the #1 reason everyone seems totally ignorant on would be that the average height in America is about 5'10, and most pros doing well these days are American. I believe I heard somewhere too that most of the American male population is between 5'8 and 5'10, which would be in line with that average. Also supposedly average male height for the whole world is around 5'6-5'7.
Yeah when u remove the outlier races (ahem, black folks lol) from the equation, everyone is around my height, lol.

Messer

Messer

Awards
Yeah when u remove the outlier races (ahem, black folks lol) from the equation, everyone is around my height, lol.
damn maybe it's just a southern thing because I feel like most guys I see are 6ft or taller if they aint mexican

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
damn maybe it's just a southern thing because I feel like most guys I see are 6ft or taller if they aint mexican
Well, Americans in general are taller than most. Maybe Russians and certain African races got us beat.

But we only make up, what...5% of world population?

Mystere3

Awards
Idk, I'm 6'1" and feel taller than 90% of guys I meet.

Markos4

Awards
Im 5'9 and i feel shorter than most people here in texas,us. Also does anyone in here knows how big ur chest and arms have to be to competes in physique competitions and ACTUALLY win one? How much does the actual champ weighs?

ironyogi

ironyogi

Awards
Throwback bodybuilders such as;
Ed Corney
Frank Zane
Lou Ferrigno
Franco Columbu
And of course the greatest idol of all time, the legend, the big dog, the greatest;
Arnold Schwarzenegger
were way better looking in my opinion than those of today. Eghem why? Because it doesn't look natural. Everyone has a nasty HGH gut (disgusting) and they don't even look normal. Too much. No.
1970s over these fake tanned gorrillian pumped out stomach'd bodybuilders.

My thoughts exactly. The old school physiques looked more natural, HEALTHY and though incredible, still looked somehow attainable - nothing like today's freak show science experiments that just plain don't look right. Bring back the golden era.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really, the only true difference is insulin. Even the early 80's had a few bodybuilders using GH.

GH doesn't do that to u its the combo of GH and insulin. Or just insulin if not cycled properly.

And it's the fact that most 70's bodybuilders where 6' 230-250lbs, or in Ferrigno's case, 6'4" 280lbs.

Now, they are 5'8" and 250-280lbs. This is why I like the 212 class. Stubby, sure. But at least no insulin gut though.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
So for curiosity's sake, at 6'7 what I be competing at? 350?

crete

Awards
Todays freaks carry a lot of mass however are willing to push the envelope with more and more steroid usage. I think the oldschool bodybuilders looked healthier however it is not what the judges are looking for today.

snyderd1972

snyderd1972

Awards
Drugs have advanced some yes but I also think the bodybuilders of the 70's and even the 80's had more of a life Arnold and those guys back In the day had fun on top of being competitive bodybuilders now cannot do that there is always someone willing to sacrifice it all for the title. In my opinion Arnold was and is the epitome of the perfect physique if you look at his pics he is still a genetic freak.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Im not gonna say I wouldnt like to look like the top pros today because if I did I would be lying...but I would much rather have a body of Franco columbo than that of branch, phil, or kai.