General Bodybuilding Question

1. Registered User

General Bodybuilding Question

Hey, bros. I have a dilemma. I'm 37, 6' 235, calipered @ 17% BF awhile ago, prolly climbed a little since. Been training for years, college wrestler, current coach. I have done several stacks in the last few years. I have trouble cutting, simple because I wanna put on more mass. My diet is clean when I train, but sh#t when I don't. I can't get past the thought that I can build muscle & cut my fat at the same time. So, I bulk cut, bulk cut, etc. and don't keep my gains like I would like. I know the simple answer. But, would it be better to cut down to 10% BF,stay clean and bulk, or just bulk where I'm at, stay clean, and let the fat burn off over time?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.

The fatter you are, the easier it is to cut fat. The leaner you are, the easier it is to accrue lean mass in calorie surplus without excessive fat gain. It is far more advisable to wholly dedicate to one or the other. You can succeed at one or fail at both. Honestly though, its purely your personal preference. If you're over 15% BF I would cut down before attempting to add lean mass. This is only my personal choice.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.

I think best idea is to go for lean slowly like 1lb. per week drop. Once you're at visible abs or a bit leaner. Attempt to slowly bulk @ .5 lb increase per week. All the while being super specific to track calories and Macros, My fitness pal app is a life saver. Rinse and repeat as needed. I think this will greatly aid you in your goals, as close tracking of diet is IMO 80% of results in bodybuilding. It will also serve you well going in to a cycle for bulking and the leanness will aid in visual markers to keep an eye on.
    Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. Micah 7:8
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  148 lbs.

I'd say to cut down as much as possible first, then do a clean bulk, it sounds impossible, but if you eat right and have a good workout plan, clean bulks work fairly well. Dirty bulking is a lot easier, but you then you have to cut afterwords. It's all about diet bro.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frftrsteve View Post
    I'd say to cut down as much as possible first, then do a clean bulk, it sounds impossible, but if you eat right and have a good workout plan, clean bulks work fairly well. Dirty bulking is a lot easier, but you then you have to cut afterwords. It's all about diet bro.
    Thats what I want to do I hate when belly covers hours and hours of work, by making you less detailed ... I'm currently at 16-17 bf% and I start my cutting phase in a week. I won't bother having a belly again.Clean bulk/recomp ftw
    That's me 8 months ago
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. General PCT question
    By GRat86 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 03:21 PM
  2. general pct question
    By mikeL16 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
  3. General PH questions: "the other daily stuff"