Best exercises for chest volume?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User

Best exercises for chest volume?

I have been training for over 1 year and have smal chest. what is the best workout for building volume around the chest?

Thank's

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.

I love any and all pec flies. Really saw my chest explode with dumbbell inclines. If you can keep your arms out of the movement it's money for building a big chest.
  3. Registered User

thank you some other exercises too?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.

Dumbbell hip press is good. I favor dumbbell exercises mainly for their isolation. There's things like bench press but moat pushing exercises bring triceps into play unless you do a wider grip.

What do your chest days look like? Maybe try and mix in some drop sets or slow down the negative part of the movement to help stimulate your chest.
  5. Registered User

chest is quite flat compared to the rest of the body. what I need is chest and arms.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.

What I meant was what exercises do you do or your chest/ arms and how often?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.

Heavy bench
    Pushups
  8. Registered User

I have experienced increased chest volume from heavy weighted dips and pullovers. Make sure to really contract the chest on the pullovers and on the weighted dips, try the widest grip possible on the bars and lean into the bar slightly excluding all use of momentum.

Doing the following techniques will wear your chest out so make sure you don't overtrain. It does not take lots of training volume to build a wide puffed out chest, just simple stretch and push exercises performed with intensity.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  184 lbs.

The single best exercises that have really helped me develop my chest would be super sets of seated low cable flyes (8-15 reps) with low incline barbell bench (4-8 reps). ive got a genetically small chest but this really brought up the size
  10. Registered User

I think I really need a whole new program. I want and get the biggest volume possible of the upper body. someone who wants and say what they train and how often? (For volume)
  11. Registered User

Someone?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  184 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Preb11 View Post
    Someone?
    look into layne nortons phat training program. works well for me.

or if u enjoy making your own program just hit chest twice a week. one day heavy with mainly barbell and dumbbell moves. the other day a little lighter with higher reps and some flye type movements added in
  13. Registered User

Ty m8
    The program you do .. Is it building volum ?
  14. Board Supporter

I think I really need a whole new program. I want and get the biggest volume possible of the upper body. someone who wants and say what they train and how often? (For volume)
    Ah, the actual excercise is hardly the "key", as if you were doing something completely wrong, or a super secret set of bumbell flies is going to fix it.

Easy route. Just slip your grip out about an inch on each side when you bench to take more weight on your chest THEN...
    One of 2 things will work:

Go heavy with sets of 5-6 (worked for me years ago like you wouldn't believe)
    Go 4+ sets of 10 (working wonders for me now).

lol, go a little wider, and try heavy for a few weeks. If that doesn't work, do more volume with less weight (basically start with the opposite of whatever you've been doing thus far)
    That should go for whatever chest exercises you do.
  15. Registered User

Ty m8 i try
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  175 lbs.

BROTHER! use pressing movements... Doing flies usually hitup the center chest (the clevage part). Go for pushing movements like Benching, Machine presses, Pushups then after some time weighted pushups! Make SURE you are doing the exercises correctly i.e feeling the weight right where it needs to be and min secondry muscles involvement! Just keep it simple! PUSH PUSH and PUSH! Eat more. Don't go for isolation movements (yes they feel good as they bring the crazy pump) they won't work like pushing movements, stay away from too much of pec decs and wholy moly flies! Train intense (with less rest time between sets) and train smart (don't focus on just moving the weight, work the muscle fully... Like it should be worked on)!

OHH and you more water before you train, when you train and after you train.... Water is much much important it plays an important role in makin muscles grow and giving an awesome pump.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.

lots of flies and dips
    T2
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

Nice thread. Now i have an idea on how to have a big chest.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Switching from flat bar to dumbbells has saved me. My chest simply would not grow like I wanted and going to dumbbells has not only helped me grow but took my strength up as well. I still do flat bench every week but dumbbells are the main tool for chest for me now. Also a brutal shock to your chest: take a weight you can do 20 times. I if your about to fail on 20 you have the correct weight usually. That is the weight you will perform 10 reps for 10 sets. Take only 45 seconds between sets. You'll get some growth through that as well.
    Hustle harder
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rabz
    That is the weight you will perform 10 reps for 10 sets. Take only 45 seconds between sets. You'll get some growth through that as well.
    GVT is garbage.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wygdwicfy

GVT is garbage.
    Opinion noted.
    Hustle harder
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rabz

Opinion noted.
    Extreme glycogen overcompensation. Strength and size gains that both dissapear when you stop using GVT.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by zubda345 View Post
    BROTHER! use pressing movements... Doing flies usually hitup the center chest (the clevage part). Go for pushing movements like Benching, Machine presses, Pushups then after some time weighted pushups! Make SURE you are doing the exercises correctly i.e feeling the weight right where it needs to be and min secondry muscles involvement! Just keep it simple! PUSH PUSH and PUSH! Eat more. Don't go for isolation movements (yes they feel good as they bring the crazy pump) they won't work like pushing movements, stay away from too much of pec decs and wholy moly flies! Train intense (with less rest time between sets) and train smart (don't focus on just moving the weight, work the muscle fully... Like it should be worked on)!

OHH and you more water before you train, when you train and after you train.... Water is much much important it plays an important role in makin muscles grow and giving an awesome pump.
    Its been said before but i'll say it again, muscle fibers on the chest run latitudinally and not up&down. Therefore you cannnot favour one side of your chest to another. This simply isnt physiologically possible, flyes will target the entire pectoral and not just the side closest the clevage (its basically the same movement at the shoulders as a bench press)
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Its been said before but i'll say it again, muscle fibers on the chest run latitudinally and not up&down. Therefore you cannnot favour one side of your chest to another. This simply isnt physiologically possible, flyes will target the entire pectoral and not just the side closest the clevage (its basically the same movement at the shoulders as a bench press)
    But the flyes will favour more of the clevage part... I am not saying that they will only target the middle, but they will target the middle more... pressing movement will target the pecs wholy and equally...
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.

Good thread !
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Your body has a natural tendency not to let itself become too unbalanced. Many lifters that struggle with chest volume are not working their opposing muscle groups enough. Do more pull exercises and go heavy on the chest with dumbbells. Get your upper back to the point where it can support a bigger chest and it will fall into place. Lift hard and always go for that next rep until you can't do it-You will grow fast.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

I've always loved decline bench presses with the widest possible grip.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

I have been training for over 1 year and have smal chest. what is the best workout for building volume around the chest?

Thank's
    The pattern of flat bench, incline bench, weighted dips and close grip bench (NOT all in the same session) would work wonders.

Something like this,

Monday:
    Bench Press: 3X5
    BB Rows: 3x5
    Incline Press: 3x10
    Pullups: 3x10
    Weighted Dips: 3x10

Thursday:
    Flat Bench: 3x10
    Bent Over Rows: 3x10
    Strict Press: 3x5
    Pullup: 5x5
    Close grip bench: 3x10

Great upper body workout. Just remember, each session you need to add weight and each week you need to be gaining weight, or else you're not giving your body anything new to grow from. Just doing the workout alone doesn't go very far, you'll need to use principles.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by zubda345 View Post
    But the flyes will favour more of the clevage part... I am not saying that they will only target the middle, but they will target the middle more... pressing movement will target the pecs wholy and equally...
    not according to anatomy books its focuses mostly on the pec major, but you cant pick and choose which side an exercise favourse. Just not physiologically possible
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

thread is epic
    lots of people get good info from it
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest exercises with shoulder injury
    By mjswss57 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
  2. Chest isolation exercises