Andromass a no-no with a statin?

dumplin716

Awards
I take a statin for high cholesterol. Keeps my cholesterol in the 150ish range. Cholesterol pushing 300 without it. I take it that I could not take Andromass due to the "drug interaction" warning? Just checking. Thanks in advance.

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Google grapefruit interactions with statin...see if there is an interaction or not.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No you cannot take a statin with AM.

The Interaction Between Grapefruit and Statins

Grapefruit contains the compound bergamottin, which interacts with certain enzyme systems in the body, such as cytochrome P-450 and P-glycoprotein. These enzyme systems are responsible for breaking down statins, as well as other drugs, into more usable chemicals and transporting them in the body.
When grapefruit juice is consumed at or around the time you take your statin, the components in grapefruit prevent these enzyme systems from breaking down the drug, causing the drug to accumulate in high amounts in the body. This can be very dangerous and can cause a variety of health problems, such as liver damage or a rare condition called rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle and kidney damage).

Are All Statins Affected?

So far, the only statins significantly affected by this interaction are:
atorvastatin (Lipitor®)
lovastatin (Mevacor®)
simvastatin (Zocor®)
Other statins do not seem to demonstrate the same, profound effect with grapefruit as seen with the other statins. These would include:
rosuvastatin (Crestor®)
pravastatin (Pravachol ®)
fluvastatin (Lescol ®)
pitavastatin (Livalo ®)
Some scientists think that this may be due to the fact that these statins are not broken down by the same enzymes.

spartan300

Awards
How does that change the drug interaction?

Don't listen to that advice op

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How does that change the drug interaction?

Don't listen to that advice op
I think he is referring to controlling high cholesterol levels through diet as opposed to a statin.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think he is referring to controlling high cholesterol levels through diet as opposed to a statin.
This.

Not to mention that there isn't strong evidence linking high cholesterol to CVD.

spartan300

Awards
theres a linear increase of risk for CVD with increased LDL

spartan300

Awards
i think my pharm notes states a 4x increase in risk for CAD with lipids over 250

anyways, doctor prescribed it for a certain reason. you should follow you doctors protocol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
theres a linear increase of risk for CVD with increased LDL
Source?

Also, statins lower HDL, which are cardio protective. However, there isn't a lot of money to be made if everyone just eats better.

spartan300

Awards
Source is my internal medicine class and my anesthesia professor who works cardiovascular compromised patients. I can't post notes due to copy right issues. Also covered in my pharmacology classes

If ur that interested I can pm u the books we use

spartan300

Awards
Statins canloer ldl by as much as 60% and r some of the most efficacious hypolipidemic agents available

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's nothing I can say to sway you from thinking statins are a good idea or that total cholesterol is a valid predictor of future CV events. To me, it would be in his bets interest to fix his diet (high fat, high protein, low carb) than to spend his money on a drug that has not been shown to lower the rate of CVD. Like I said, though, there's not a lot of money to be made by either doctors or pharmaceutical companies if people were given good information regarding nutrition and exercise.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's nothing I can say to sway you from thinking statins are a good idea or that total cholesterol is a valid predictor of future CV events. To me, it would be in his bets interest to fix his diet (high fat, high protein, low carb) than to spend his money on a drug that has not been shown to lower the rate of CVD. Like I said, though, there's not a lot of money to be made by either doctors or pharmaceutical companies if people were given good information regarding nutrition and exercise.
Are you basically saying Statins are useless? That they do not reduce CVD or CVD deaths? Because if so I must strongly disagree with you as a JAMA meta analysis as shown among many other singular trials.

http://www.iihe.org/fpres/JournalClub/StatinMetaAnalysis.pdf

spartan300

Awards
you need building blocks for atheroclerosis to develop

your response is simple and complex at the same time. Yes lifestyle changes would be beneficial and may deter medications but compliance is the main issue. For instance, I just walked by the hospital 10 min ago, what did I see? A patient hooked up to a IV drip smoking a cig. I can guarantee you 100% that she was advised not to smoke. Did she listen, hell no. If you spend any amount of time in a clinic, you would understand this issue. We do advise lifestyle changes during appointment. A lot of times, patients can't afford treatment, so we offer what advice we can.

sometimes your daily activities make it complicated for you to make lifestyle changes. I go to school 8 hours a day, do lab work after, go to the library after, by the time I get home, it's about midnight or later. I know the importance of exercise and diet. Do I practice it, not really cause I'm so dam busy. My blood pressure is rising cause of stress. Non-drug therapy would be to eliminate stress. Can I eliminate it, hell no. I'm surrounded it.

Noncompliance is even riddled thru-out bodybuilding forums, even though forums consists of a skewed population. If this is a skewed population, how do you think the mean population will perform. And to take it even further, what about the people at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Not all doctors all are greedy pocket pinchers. You're not looking at the whole story.

One could probably think the same way about supplement companies. Why not just adjust diet and exercise to lose that extra 1-2% of body fat instead of using fat loss supplements. Why don't reps advise not to use their supps, instead focus more on tweaking diet and exercise and use that money towards buying a proper meal.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you basically saying Statins are useless? That they do not reduce CVD or CVD deaths? Because if so I must strongly disagree with you as a JAMA meta analysis as shown among many other singular trials.

http://www.iihe.org/fpres/JournalClub/StatinMetaAnalysis.pdf
No, and don't try to straw man this.

you need building blocks for atheroclerosis to develop

your response is simple and complex at the same time. Yes lifestyle changes would be beneficial and may deter medications but compliance is the main issue. For instance, I just walked by the hospital 10 min ago, what did I see? A patient hooked up to a IV drip smoking a cig. I can guarantee you 100% that she was advised not to smoke. Did she listen, hell no. If you spend any amount of time in a clinic, you would understand this issue. We do advise lifestyle changes during appointment. A lot of times, patients can't afford treatment, so we offer what advice we can.

sometimes your daily activities make it complicated for you to make lifestyle changes. I go to school 8 hours a day, do lab work after, go to the library after, by the time I get home, it's about midnight or later. I know the importance of exercise and diet. Do I practice it, not really cause I'm so dam busy. My blood pressure is rising cause of stress. Non-drug therapy would be to eliminate stress. Can I eliminate it, hell no. I'm surrounded it.

Noncompliance is even riddled thru-out bodybuilding forums, even though forums consists of a skewed population. If this is a skewed population, how do you think the mean population will perform. And to take it even further, what about the people at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Not all doctors all are greedy pocket pinchers. You're not looking at the whole story.

One could probably think the same way about supplement companies. Why not just adjust diet and exercise to lose that extra 1-2% of body fat instead of using fat loss supplements. Why don't reps advise not to use their supps, instead focus more on tweaking diet and exercise and use that money towards buying a proper meal.
Are you saying that there's a lot of hypocrisy in the medical community? Wow!! That's really groundbreaking. It's another reason that it is difficult to take many of them seriously. Very few of them are educated in exercise and nutrition, which should always be the first course of action. Hell, it's only a recent development that they even advocate resistance training.

I hate the "pill for every ill" position of the American medical community. Restore balance to the body and it will correct itself, but, as I said, that's not a very profitable endeavor. It really doesn't help that the diets advocated by doctors and the USDA are high carb, which often leads to insulin resistance and hyperlipidmeia.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Are you saying that there's a lot of hypocrisy in the medical community? Wow!! That's really groundbreaking. It's another reason that it is difficult to take many of them seriously. Very few of them are educated in exercise and nutrition, which should always be the first course of action. Hell, it's only a recent development that they even advocate resistance training.

I hate the "pill for every ill" position of the American medical community. Restore balance to the body and it will correct itself, but, as I said, that's not a very profitable endeavor. It really doesn't help that the diets advocated by doctors and the USDA are high carb, which often leads to insulin resistance and hyperlipidmeia.
Rodja, I agree with you completely. And I'm glad we're on the same page.

Some people are just in love with western medicine and don't bother reading and researching and asking questions. Don't stress bro, just let him worry about his cholesterol and take drugs that will leave him worse off.

I used to get upset. But now I don't worry so much. You'll just die (not you Rodja) and I'm fine with that.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Clarify then, don't be a **** about it for ****s sake.

You said
Not to mention that there isn't strong evidence linking high cholesterol to CVD.
But yet the lowering of cholesterol reduces the rate of CVD. If you just have nothing to back you up, say so, it is your opinion, otherwise don't start off as a jack ass when I ask you a question and provide a meta analysis to back up my position.

Then you say:
To me, it would be in his bets interest to fix his diet (high fat, high protein, low carb) than to spend his money on a drug that has not been shown to lower the rate of CVD.
Which I posted the antithesis to. Yet get a smart ass remark instead of clarification.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Clarify then, don't be a **** about it for ****s sake.

You said

But yet the lowering of cholesterol reduces the rate of CVD. If you just have nothing to back you up, say so, it is your opinion, otherwise don't start off as a jack ass when I ask you a question and provide a meta analysis to back up my position.

Then you say:

Which I posted the antithesis to. Yet get a smart ass remark instead of clarification.
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you because you have shown time and again that you are extremely stubborn and will not budge from your position. It's also a tad ironic that you can me a jackass you go on a tirade.

Funny you post that since there is not mention of any dietary interventions, which will not only be cheaper, but also is just as efficacious and has no side effects. Instead of attacking just the hypercholestemia, you can attack the other dangers such as Metabolic Syndrome. Again, quit being a shill of the drug companies and learn how to eat properly. you'll not only extend your life, but increase the quality of your life.

spartan300

Awards

call it what you want. i don't think it so clear cut. you tuned out my compliance speel. controlling risk factors should/is part of treatment, but once again requires compliance.

so where's your medical degree. if it was that simple, we wouldn't have multiple specialities.

ever heard of adjuncitve therapy.

body can't correct itself of every disease. your theory has limits.

i think you'll find it very difficult to get a patient with CHF to exercise. You could try, but he'll probably end of dying before you make any progress.

can't imagine advocating proper diet and exercise being profitable for supps companies either.

seems like the thread is turning for the worse. I didn't come to start a debate.

how bout we return to op's concerns.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you because you have shown time and again that you are extremely stubborn and will not budge from your position. It's also a tad ironic that you can me a jackass you go on a tirade.

Funny you post that since there is not mention of any dietary interventions, which will not only be cheaper, but also is just as efficacious and has no side effects. Instead of attacking just the hypercholestemia, you can attack the other dangers such as Metabolic Syndrome. Again, quit being a shill of the drug companies and learn how to eat properly. you'll not only extend your life, but increase the quality of your life.
Whenever you get cancer, you go ahead and eat your way to health... might as well wish it away while you are at it.

When you can provide something to back up your stance, you go ahead and come back. Funny I was actually just looking for incite, instead I get your attitude.

crgsander

Awards
I eat well.....well enough to have abs and 9% body fat. Lift 5 days a week on a split routine and run or bike for many miles a week. Guess what......my LDL will not go below 130! It's easy to sit back and say diet and exercise can fix all our woes, but I am living proof that it cannot always fix cholesterol. I won't get into the argument of weather the cholesterol myth is real or not. My doc wants me on some type of med, so far I have resisted, but wont I feel the fool if I fall over with a heart attack!