New to powerlifting - AnabolicMinds.com

New to powerlifting

1. New Member

New to powerlifting

Hello all, I just recently started to use the traditional powerlifting excercise(s) in my workout and all I can say is WOW. I love them all. I had never deadlifted before, and my squat was never really any good. I joined a new gym and was shown some of the powerlifting techniques and I have fallen in love. Anyways, my question is this. I'm not really looking to build mass, but rather cut. Would it still be wise to construct a program centered around powerlifting techniques?

2. New Member

Your diet will have the biggest impact on whether you reach how cut you want to be. Plus, you need some size to cut right?
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre32 View Post
    Hello all, I just recently started to use the traditional powerlifting excercise(s) in my workout and all I can say is WOW. I love them all. I had never deadlifted before, and my squat was never really any good. I joined a new gym and was shown some of the powerlifting techniques and I have fallen in love. Anyways, my question is this. I'm not really looking to build mass, but rather cut. Would it still be wise to construct a program centered around powerlifting techniques?
    All depends on how fast you wanna cut. If youre gonna cut nice and steady, you'll be fine. If you cut fast that means cutting calories fast or using techniques like lowcarbing. Those will drop your energy like aint nobody's biz. If you do that your gonna lose strength, which is gonna mean you are gonna backtrack in your powerlifting progress. If you do it at a nice even rate though, you'll have plenty of energy. Plus keep this in mind, the bigger the lift the more GH you make. More GH means more fat lost and more muscle built.

Just clean up your diet, eat maintenance level calories, pick a good ratio like 30/50/20 for p/c/f and keep up the powerlifting training. It'll take time but stay at it and youll gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.
    •   

4. New Member

If you realy are into powerlifting, check out the magazine PowerliftingUSA. Its got some good raw articles.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Glad to see you have come over to powerlifting exercises. If you want to cut and yet maintain optimum muscle mass I would suggest you take a look at the GVT program aka 10 X 10s. Make the key exercises like BPs, Deads, Squats and IMO Triceps Presses your keys and work from there. You will lose any extra weight and perhaps increase muscle while challenging yourself severely. When you are ready then you can enjoy the fruits of 3 to 5 max rep sets. Good Luck.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. New to powerlifting
    By turtlefrog in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 11:00 PM
  2. new to powerlifting
    By R1balla in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
  3. new to powerlifting
    By Sanosuke in forum Exercise Science