Warm Up for Bench

  1. Warm Up for Bench


    What should I do for warm ups for bench, stretching, etc.

    THanks


  2. I use whatever exercise I am going to do to warm up. I just use a lower weight.


    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  3. like crowler said, warm up with the same movement, just lighter weights. stretch after the muscle is worked, not before.
    •   
       


  4. I do a couple of sets of dumbell flys with light weight and then some front & side raises with 5lb and then 10lb small plates to warm up my shoulders before bench.Then start out with 135lb then go up from there!

  5. i do my rotator work then light weight building up to my workset

  6. I normally warmup with 2-3 sets of light facepulls and 2-3 sets of light tricep push downs followed by 5 mins on the elliptical before my bench and squat workouts.

  7. For a change of pace try some pre-exhaustion on auxiliary bodyparts in beching. For bench press you can exhaust your triceps and deltoids 1st ..work them to near failure. Now when you bench press you'll use more chest with little assistance from your tris and delts. It's just one technique I use occasionally. You won't set any records and use less weight but it focuses the intensity on your chest. Always do some rotator work before benching...it can save your delts..especially if you are going heavy. I only use benching as an overall building exercise and power movement along with squats and deadlifts with my 1rep max bench at 515lbs....but for direct chest exercises there are much better movements...dips with arms out neck down leaning forward...and flyes with thumbless grip and elbows bend...just as 2 examples.

  8. Light weight for 12 to 15 reps is a good warmup.

  9. Rotator cuff warmup with a light plate (5lbs for me), just do arm circles. Then light weight of 20 reps. Then I'm good to go.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Synthetik
    Rotator cuff warmup with a light plate
    most people forget about that, then their shoulders remind them later

  11. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    most people forget about that, then their shoulders remind them later
    Exactly!!Wish i would of been doing them before hurting my shoulders!!

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Synthetik
    Rotator cuff warmup with a light plate (5lbs for me), just do arm circles. Then light weight of 20 reps. Then I'm good to go.
    Exactly what I do.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    I use whatever exercise I am going to do to warm up. I just use a lower weight.


    CROWLER
    Exactly what I do

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    like crowler said, warm up with the same movement, just lighter weights. stretch after the muscle is worked, not before.
    I disagree, stretch before and after, much more beneficial to stretch beforehand.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Danl4560
    I disagree, stretch before and after, much more beneficial to stretch beforehand.
    Stretching before can negatively affect strength. However, by stretching afterwards, you not only increase the ROM, but slightly increase the microtrauma to lead to better recovery and growth.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Stretching before can negatively affect strength. However, by stretching afterwards, you not only increase the ROM, but slightly increase the microtrauma to lead to better recovery and growth.
    You may be right about it negatively effecting strength, but I absolutely hate walking into lifts cold turkey. I feel much less injury prone when I stretch beforehand.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. warm up for competition
    By BradZahringer in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
  2. What's your warm up for legs?
    By Rob94hawk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  3. 29 Days Left to SIGN UP for MHP's Kings of the Bench & Clash of the Titans
    By Sean Katterle in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
  4. Fav way to warm up oils for pinning?
    By dubplate6 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 02:00 PM
  5. Warming up for heavy sets....
    By waynaferd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Log in
Log in